post #361 of 795 Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

.......Together with a SubMersive HP (only 1--my room is only ~ 2100 cu ft) I am firmly in the Seaton camp, and am sure this is where I will stay.

......(And man, are these things are heavy (~65 lbs)! I sure that handling the big brother Cat12's could not be a one man job.)

My current temp HT is ~2200 cu ft & I have two subMs. A Cat12 is aprx the weight as the SubM (And I have three)

--Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 795 Old 03-10-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post

My current temp HT is ~2200 cu ft & I have two subMs. A Cat12 is aprx the weight as the SubM (And I have three)

All I can say is, WOW!
post #363 of 795 Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:

I'm replacing my 3 Ascendacoustics Sierra-1's--a superb speaker in its price range--with 3 Catalyst 8C's, and the first 2 of them arrived today. They are of course in quite a different price range than the Ascends, but they are also in a totally different league in audio performance. With only 2 Cats at present I'm omitting the center speaker. Listening to some music cd's (the Eagles--I'm an oldtimer!), the level of dynamism and detail--without any hint of harshness--is amazing. I am no audiophile by any stretch, but even I can tell the higher level of sound quality.

Together with a SubMersive HP (only 1--my room is only ~ 2100 cu ft) I am firmly in the Seaton camp, and am sure this is where I will stay.

I should also re-enforce what we all know, i.e., that Mark is a perfectionist. The Cats arrived later than I expected, but Mark doesn't send anything out until it is thoroughly checked out, and for this I am grateful. (And man, are these things are heavy (~65 lbs)! I sure that handling the big brother Cat12's could not be a one man job.)

Great to hear everything arrived safely and that the first impressions are as expected & intended. With the much smaller dimensions of the Catalyst 8C's, most don't generally expect them to be quite as dense as they really are, but those are some hefty little 8" woofers.

Enjoy!

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #364 of 795 Old 03-30-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, this afternoon my 3rd Seaton Catalyst 8C arrived, completing the trio for my L/C/R speakers (to go with a SubMersive HP and 5 Ascend HTM200's for heights and surrounds). I haven't yet done anything but balance them with the RS SPL meter, but man, they are awesome. They're quite a splurge, but they do deliver incredible audio. Anyone interested in the 'next level' of audio performance owes it to themselves to try to hear some Catalysts. (And mine are the 'baby brothers' of the Cat 12's!)
post #365 of 795 Old 03-31-2012, 12:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

Well, this afternoon my 3rd Seaton Catalyst 8C arrived, completing the trio for my L/C/R speakers (to go with a SubMersive HP and 5 Ascend HTM200's for heights and surrounds). I haven't yet done anything but balance them with the RS SPL meter, but man, they are awesome. They're quite a splurge, but they do deliver incredible audio. Anyone interested in the 'next level' of audio performance owes it to themselves to try to hear some Catalysts. (And mine are the 'baby brothers' of the Cat 12's!)

I'm looking forward to hearing some very soon.

Unfortunately we didn't win Mega Millions tonight so I won't be ordering any at this time. I hope that hearing them won't do too much damage to my satisfaction with life.

I saved up my 20k post for something special, and your new front speakers are the perfect occasion.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #366 of 795 Old 03-31-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I'm looking forward to hearing some very soon.

Unfortunately we didn't win Mega Millions tonight so I won't be ordering any at this time. I hope that hearing them won't do too much damage to my satisfaction with life.

I saved up my 20k post for something special, and your new front speakers are the perfect occasion.

I'm looking forward to your visit! I should have them dialed in (at least as well as I can do), so will be fun.

Don't think I'm ever going to catch you in the post count, though.
post #367 of 795 Old 03-31-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

I'm looking forward to your visit! I should have them dialed in (at least as well as I can do), so will be fun.

I'm looking forward to the 14th.

Quote:

Don't think I'm ever going to catch you in the post count, though.

I've been 7K behind Rogo for years, but I'm slowing down. My new goal is to get 10k behind him.

Calibration Resources:

post #368 of 795 Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, How would the Salk ht2-tl and ht3 compare to the performance of cat 12 or cat 8. Though I haven't listened to any of these, I believe that the cat's will win undoubtedly in the hometheater section and they can also play louder, but how would the salk compare to the seatons in the music department? I am a big fan of submersive and I am planning to import 2 of them (HP 230v version) as soon as mark releases the 230 version and I have accumulated enough cash. But when it comes to speakers, I have heard very good comments about both Salk and Cats. Just want to know their comparative merits and demerits (irrespective of the former being passive and the latter being active speaker).
post #369 of 795 Old 04-06-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One question for others with Catalysts (I have 3 8C's). As has been discussed, these speakers typically emit a slight hissing sound which is totally inaudible when any significant sound is coming through them, but which one would nevertheless like to minimize. This can be done, of course, by turning down the output knob on the back of the speakers, and correspondingly turning up the output in the AVR, but this can go only so far.

But I've discovered another wrinkle that (for me anyway) greatly diminishes the hiss, and this is connect the short adapter cable (XLR-RCA) that Mark sent with the speakers directly to the speaker, and then use a RCA-RCA to go however long is necessary to the AVR (which is no more than ~ 6 ft for me). I had originally understood (or may have misunderstood) Mark to say that it was best to connect his short adapter cable to the AVR (RCA end to the AVR) and use a longer XLR-XLR cable from this to the speaker. In my case though, I get significantly less hiss (for the same output level) by connecting the short adapter cable to the speaker and using a RCA-RCA as the extension cable, i.e., the first procedure described here.

I wonder if others of you have observed similar behavior. ???
post #370 of 795 Old 04-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One question for others with Catalysts (I have 3 8C's). As has been discussed, these speakers typically emit a slight hissing sound which is totally inaudible when any significant sound is coming through them, but which one would nevertheless like to minimize. This can be done, of course, by turning down the output knob on the back of the speakers, and correspondingly turning up the output in the AVR, but this can go only so far.

But I've discovered another wrinkle that (for me anyway) greatly diminishes the hiss, and this is connect the short adapter cable (XLR-RCA) that Mark sent with the speakers directly to the speaker, and then use a RCA-RCA to go however long is necessary to the AVR (which is no more than ~ 6 ft for me). I had originally understood (or may have misunderstood) Mark to say that it was best to connect his short adapter cable to the AVR (RCA end to the AVR) and use a longer XLR-XLR cable from this to the speaker. In my case though, I get significantly less hiss (for the same output level) by connecting the short adapter cable to the speaker and using a RCA-RCA as the extension cable, i.e., the first procedure described here.

I wonder if others of you have observed similar behavior. ???

There is a hiss that can be heard by putting my ear right next to the speaker. It measures ~4db above ambiance. I am using XLR only.

--Carl
post #371 of 795 Old 04-06-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There is a hiss that can be heard by putting my ear right next to the speaker. It measures ~4db above ambiance. I am using XLR only.

Yes, I have to have my ear right up within a few inches of the grill cloth to hear any hiss, so I agree that it is not a big deal. But did notice the diff of the different way of connecting cables. If your AVR (or prepro) has XLR connections, then of course you don't need any XLR-RCA connection. My AVR (Onk 3008) only has RCA inputs, so I need some XLR-RCA switch-over; it's just a case of where to make the switch--with the cable that connects to the speaker, or the one that connects to the AVR.
post #372 of 795 Old 04-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Could it be some grounding issue?

I am soon to be the owner of Cats12c LCR. This issue is what I worry about.

Is there anyway to totally get rid of the hissing sound?

may be Mark can give a better answer?
post #373 of 795 Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Get a prepro with true, balanced outputs and run 100% balanced XLRs to the Cats. Problem solved
post #374 of 795 Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Those of you with the Cat 12Cs as Left/Center/Right speakers, what are you using as surrounds? I know JTR has slanted 8s which is the perfect design for my room with low ceilings to help keep the sound from reflecting off the ceiling. Does Seaton offer a similar speaker?
post #375 of 795 Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

I am planing to go either aerial sr3 or mk 150 tripole for side and rear surround.

Still not sure is it a good idea.
post #376 of 795 Old 04-07-2012, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness View Post

Get a prepro with true, balanced outputs and run 100% balanced XLRs to the Cats. Problem solved

What type of XLR's are you using? I found these on Monoprice. Any good?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

If these are good, then I fell into the trap when I bought my XLR's for my powered DJ speakers by buying 2 50 foot rolls and 2 25 foot rolls of these....

http://www.samash.com/p/Mogami_Gold%...Lengths_437201
post #377 of 795 Old 04-07-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

Those of you with the Cat 12Cs as Left/Center/Right speakers, what are you using as surrounds? I know JTR has slanted 8s which is the perfect design for my room with low ceilings to help keep the sound from reflecting off the ceiling. Does Seaton offer a similar speaker?

Not quite the same as the JTR Slanted 8 design but Seaton does offer a small active speaker called the Spark.

You can find more of the Seaton Sound current offerings here

post #378 of 795 Old 04-07-2012, 10:26 AM

How does the cat12c and 8c compare to the salk veracity Ht2tl and Ht3. Though I haven't heard any of these, I still believe that the cats will win hands down, when it comes to Hometheater performance. But How do they compare for music? I am a big fan of seaton, and I love the submersives, so I am planning on import 2 of the submersive Hp's after they become available in 240volt versions and once I have accumulated sufficient fund.
I have heard a lot of very good comments about both Cat's and Salk. So I just want to know how they compare (irrespective of their active and passive nature).
post #379 of 795 Old 04-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylover79 View Post

How does the cat12c and 8c compare to the salk veracity Ht2tl and Ht3. Though I haven't heard any of these, I still believe that the cats will win hands down, when it comes to Hometheater performance. But How do they compare for music? I am a big fan of seaton, and I love the submersives, so I am planning on import 2 of the submersive Hp's after they become available in 240volt versions and once I have accumulated sufficient fund.
I have heard a lot of very good comments about both Cat's and Salk. So I just want to know how they compare (irrespective of their active and passive nature).

I have no knowledge about the Salks, but I own 2 SubMs & 3 Cat 12Cs. I listen mostly to music. I, like you am waiting for the 240v HP upgrade.

--Carl
post #380 of 795 Old 04-07-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:

I have no knowledge about the Salks, but I own 2 SubMs & 3 Cat 12Cs. I listen mostly to music. I, like you am waiting for the 240v HP upgrade.

Thanks for the reply. Of course, the cat's do sound great for music, otherwise there won't be that many good comments about them. But how do they compare against the salk ht2tl and ht3's.
Please don't say "your ears are your best judge, so go and listen to them yourself", as I don't think I have that privilege in my country.
post #381 of 795 Old 04-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I remember Mark saying something like the 240 volt version isn't really an "upgrade," its just so it can be used in countries like Europe etc.
post #382 of 795 Old 04-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I remember Mark saying something like the 240 volt version isn't really an "upgrade," its just so it can be used in countries like Europe etc.

It would be for me, as I have the 1st gen 1KW amps (Because they were usable on 240V)

--Carl
post #383 of 795 Old 04-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercop View Post

I am planing to go either aerial sr3 or mk 150 tripole for side and rear surround.

Still not sure is it a good idea.

Well, it's not. Both are only 85dB sensitivity. The Aerial SR3 is definitely a bad idea. I owned several back in my Aerial days.
post #384 of 795 Old 04-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, it's not. Both are only 85dB sensitivity. The Aerial SR3 is definitely a bad idea. I owned several back in my Aerial days.

Hi Fugueness..

I have multiple seat and role that is why I go with bipole tripole speaker.

SR3 is praised in my country as one of the best bipole speaker.

For Mk speaker, some says that they sound somehow like Cats.

What would you be buying then, if you were me?
post #385 of 795 Old 04-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Fugueness..

I have multiple seat and role that is why I go with bipole tripole speaker.

SR3 is praised in my country as one of the best bipole speaker.

For Mk speaker, some says that they sound somehow like Cats.

What would you be buying then, if you were me?

Neither of those are going to keep up with the Cats - it won't feel very balanced.

If you want bipole/dipole, consider these:
http://www.klipsch.com/ks-525-thx-su...-speakers-pair
post #386 of 795 Old 04-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Neither of those are going to keep up with the Cats - it won't feel very balanced.

If you want bipole/dipole, consider these:

Hi fugueness..

If you said so, I will go with Klipsch.

May I ask why you suggest Klipsch?
post #387 of 795 Old 04-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi fugueness..

If you said so, I will go with Klipsch.

May I ask why you suggest Klipsch?

Should I go for the top version (Palladium P-27C surround)?

He's suggesting the Klipsch because the speaker has a sensitivity rating of 96db. That's 11db MORE efficient then the then the Aerial SR3. The Klipsch would be better able to keep up with your other speakers and won't get "drowned out." The dynamics should be similar also.

The sensitivity ratings of both the Klipsch and Aerial are at 2.83Volts/1 meter, so this isn't completely accurate number wise because I'm using a 1W/1meter calculator, but this should more or less, still show the difference between the two. To give you an example of how drastic the differences in sensitivity are, with 100 watts, the Klipsch speaker would be able to hit 106.3 db from 10 feet away (actually lower due to the way the sensitivity was rated on both speakers). The Aerial SR3 would need 1,250 watts to reach the same level the Klipsch would reach with only 100 watts.

So basically, you need a more efficient speaker then the 85db efficiency Aerial SR3s to keep up.
post #388 of 795 Old 04-08-2012, 07:57 AM

Liked: 24
Any updates on the 8ST and the 8CL? Haven't heard any talk on these since sometime last year. Are these bad boy out?
post #389 of 795 Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

He's suggesting the Klipsch because the speaker has a sensitivity rating of 96db. That's 11db MORE efficient then the then the Aerial SR3. The Klipsch would be better able to keep up with your other speakers and won't get "drowned out." The dynamics should be similar also.

The sensitivity ratings of both the Klipsch and Aerial are at 2.83Volts/1 meter, so this isn't completely accurate number wise because I'm using a 1W/1meter calculator, but this should more or less, still show the difference between the two. To give you an example of how drastic the differences in sensitivity are, with 100 watts, the Klipsch speaker would be able to hit 106.3 db from 10 feet away (actually lower due to the way the sensitivity was rated on both speakers). The Aerial SR3 would need 1,250 watts to reach the same level the Klipsch would reach with only 100 watts.

So basically, you need a more efficient speaker then the 85db efficiency Aerial SR3s to keep up.

Hi Blackdevil 77

Thank you so much for the clarification.

May I ask you more.

Klipsch has a newer bipole called RS-62II. Should I go with the newer version?
post #390 of 795 Old 04-10-2012, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Both will work. Now it comes down to which is more closely timbre matched. The first one posted is a higher end speaker from Klipsch, the RS-62II is from their reference line.

http://www.klipsch.com/rs-62-ii-surround-speaker

Reply Speakers

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page