**The Official Seaton Sound Speaker Thread** - Page 19 - AVS Forum
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last
Speakers > **The Official Seaton Sound Speaker Thread**
ChopShop1's Avatar ChopShop1 12:37 PM 09-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

ChopShop1, with your sized room, I would give Mark a call and ask whats the update with his Submersive XLs! The design is pretty much the same as the Sumbersive HP, BUT Mark was saying on his forum that it one Submersive XL should have the output of 2 Submersive HP's or more. If my memory serves, I believe he said it would also have a 6000 watt amplifier and dual opposed 18" drivers. 2 of Those would be insane in your room. 4 of those would be enough to make Chuck Norris cry

Nothing could make Chuck Norris cry!!!biggrin.gif

I will deff talk to Mark again, just was trying to get a feel for charateristics. When I heard the Meridian, it was almost perfect and just at the top of what I could take, "bright" wise, but obviously unaffordable. I have gotten enough feedback to know that I cannot buy what I want from a "high end" for less than $10k per speaker, and it seems as though the Cats will fit the bill from a sound characteristic standpoint. Still hoping that someone within a few hundred miles of CT will pop up with an audition opportunity in the meantime.

Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 12:58 PM 09-09-2012
I'm on Long Island, New York. Not sure where in CT you are, but you may be within a reasonable distance. I'd be happy to show you my set up once my theater room is finished. Life got hectic for a while but I should be starting back up within a week or two, then it shouldn't be much longer after that.
ChopShop1's Avatar ChopShop1 05:03 PM 09-09-2012
Quote:

I'm on Long Island, New York. Not sure where in CT you are, but you may be within a reasonable distance. I'd be happy to show you my set up once my theater room is finished. Life got hectic for a while but I should be starting back up within a week or two, then it shouldn't be much longer after that.

I would love to take you up on that!! LI is only a couple hours...I am only 30 mins from the city. I will pm you all my contact info for when you are ready. Thanks again for the offer, it will be a huge help in making my decision.
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 09:51 PM 09-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

I would love to take you up on that!! LI is only a couple hours...I am only 30 mins from the city. I will pm you all my contact info for when you are ready. Thanks again for the offer, it will be a huge help in making my decision.

My pleasure smile.gif If your 30 minutes from the city, it would probably take you about an hour or less for you to get to me if there is no traffic. But since this is New York City we're talking about, there is always traffic lol. I'm about 20-30 minutes from the city myself.
Mark Seaton's Avatar Mark Seaton 11:07 AM 09-10-2012
Quote:

I will deff talk to Mark again, just was trying to get a feel for charateristics. When I heard the Meridian, it was almost perfect and just at the top of what I could take, "bright" wise, but obviously unaffordable. I have gotten enough feedback to know that I cannot buy what I want from a "high end" for less than $10k per speaker, and it seems as though the Cats will fit the bill from a sound characteristic standpoint. Still hoping that someone within a few hundred miles of CT will pop up with an audition opportunity in the meantime.

Hi ChopShop1,

The Meridian's are very nice sounding speakers. Do note the Catalysts are all 3 way active designs, not 2 way. Only the Spark is 2 way. As pleasant as the Meridians sound they were never conceived to handle serious HT duty nor have the capabilities of the Catalyst 12C, or even the 8C. In a dedicated room the size you describe, pushing the Meridians harder than you listened will make them brighter/harsher. The Meridian speakers with their British heritage tend to be a little leaner, especially compared to a Catalyst 12C, and then you will have the option of tinkering with Audyssey or ARC. Obviously I'm a bit biased, but with the larger, dedicated room and the swift movement in new features and room correction technologies, I'd suggest the investment subwoofers and 12C's will be much more beneficial than a more expensive surround preamp than the Integra/Onkyo.

My 2c.
bhazard's Avatar bhazard 08:11 AM 09-11-2012
Quote:

I'm also in Westchester County, NY close by and have a Submersive (which I love). I could demo it as well, as I would have been less anxious dropping 2 grand blind if someone was available to demo for me at the time.

I'm also interested in a Catalyst demo once that theater room is finished. I'll bring the beer smile.gif
ChopShop1's Avatar ChopShop1 08:44 AM 09-11-2012
Thanks to everyone for the offers and advice!! Bhazard, I will PM you my detials and you can let me know what might be convenient for you. I will bring the beer to demo your subm, and you are more than welcome to demo my room once completed. If only I didn't have to pay for the stupid upgraded cabinet for our kitchen, I could finsih the room today:D I keep telling my wife that the theater is the most important but she doesn't listen. All idding aside, the hole is dug for the room and concrete should be here next week.

Mark, thank you for your thoughts! I know from our previous conversations, you as well as me, thought that investing in the right speakers for the job is most important. The processor can be upgraded anytime to meet the needs of the setup. Those meridians that I heard, in addition to being waaaaaayyyy out of my budget, were nice, but my true reason for listening was to hear another speaker that may give me an idea of the sound characteristics of the CATS. I agree, that as they were pushed, even in the smaller room(realtively....16x20) they started to shoe some harsh/sharp qualities. As I said, they were about as "bright" of a speaker as I would look for. If the cats have similar characteristics, but can do the dynamics of the meridian x2 ro more, BINGO:D I have no doubt that the cats will be one of the highest quality speakers I could purchase, but taste is so different from person to person. I ahve heard so many people say they love speakers that I think sound awfull and visa versa. Mark, do you think that 8c would do the job in my room as lcr or are the 12c needed to hit the levels we are talking about. I could push it to the 12c but that would limit the number of surrounds I could do until a later date. It would also limit my PJ budget, which again is ok, not optimal, but ok as I could upgrade next year or the year after. Thougts?? Thanks all!
vikgrao's Avatar vikgrao 08:03 PM 09-11-2012
Just wanted to share this! ( I will register and post this on the Seaton forum also )
This past Sunday the day after CEDIA Expo 2012 wrapped up, Mark Seaton Came to my place with the Catalyst 12c LCR that i purchased and requested him to bring along with him when he visits Indianapolis for CEDIA Expo . I live in Columbus Indiana which is an hour's drive from downtown Indianapolis. He absolutely need not have done the delivery to my home and could have simply shipped them to me. But he said no problem cheerfully on the phone.

He was supposed to come Sunday morning and drop them off but due to helping out at the Expo late into Saturday and getting not much of rest, he could only make it to my place Sunday afternoon. I knew he will arrive exhausted and also will have a 5 hour return drive back to Illinois so i prepared for the fact that he would drop the CATS and leave.

The Great thing was after he arrived and listened to me say excitedly that i would set them up and play some demos right after he leaves, He went ahead and hauled the 12c to my basement unboxed and setup everything for me connected it to my JTR Orbitshifter and my temporary receiver and calibrated everything manually. On top of that he went out of his way and patiently answered every one of my questions and doubts and spent close to 6 hours giving me suggestions wholeheartedly regarding my home theater build and acoustics and other things and left for Chicago late in the evening after 8pm.

I just realized i was very lucky that day to have met and spent so much quality time with the owner of a company which makes such a fantastic product, and i really admire his gesture to me and his passion towards his profession. Thanks a lot Mark!!
Vikram
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 08:38 PM 09-11-2012
Vikram, you have a nice setup with the Cats. Would love to hear it some time.
jenkzy56's Avatar jenkzy56 08:41 PM 09-11-2012
Congrats Vikram!
You are indeed a lucky man, new cat12s
Setup by Mark himself !!!

Enjoy.
vikgrao's Avatar vikgrao 10:06 PM 09-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Vikram, you have a nice setup with the Cats. Would love to hear it some time.

Thanks Mike you are welcome anytime!
vikgrao's Avatar vikgrao 10:06 PM 09-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkzy56 View Post

Congrats Vikram!
You are indeed a lucky man, new cat12s
Setup by Mark himself !!!
Enjoy.

Thanks jenkzy56!
datguy85's Avatar datguy85 10:56 AM 09-15-2012
When is your next day off!?
vikgrao's Avatar vikgrao 12:54 PM 09-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by datguy85 View Post

When is your next day off!?

Just give a buzz whenever you come by Columbus from Indy If i am around we can check things out!
denkiedenk's Avatar denkiedenk 02:49 PM 11-14-2012
crossoverless designs are definitely the way to go, take any normal speaker, remove the crossovers, ad active crossover with an amp for every driver and every speaker will have a big performance jump !

even better, loose the active crossover and modify your amps so they only send the right frequencies to the right drivers, again u'll experience a performance jump. (i can't figure out if this is the approch of the seaton speakers ?

my only reservation is the 24/96 built in dsp... dsp tends to muddle the sound a lil bit...
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 04:45 PM 11-14-2012
a) it's still crossed over...

b) confused.gif

c) ummm... no...
mcallister's Avatar mcallister 02:55 PM 11-22-2012
Looking for anyone to let me demo there catalysts. I currently am running three LS9s for LCR but am looking to build a new house and can't afford a room big enough to do justice for these speakers. I do love them and want to demo some things before selling, I have a couple interested buyers in the LS but can't sell until I hear some catalysts,

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
hifiaudio2's Avatar hifiaudio2 03:05 PM 11-22-2012
I am in Nashville. You are welcome to come hear mine. I am close to having my room done but the speakers are in and installed. Should be about a month before all my treatments are in and installed.
mcallister's Avatar mcallister 01:32 PM 11-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

I am in Nashville. You are welcome to come hear mine. I am close to having my room done but the speakers are in and installed. Should be about a month before all my treatments are in and installed.

Thanks for the offer. If I can't find one close I would definitely like to make the trip down for a demo
rx-8's Avatar rx-8 01:50 AM 12-30-2012
I have my Cat12 LCR speakers behind a 10 foot wide AT screen. Is it recommended to toe in your L&R speakers?
Mark Seaton's Avatar Mark Seaton 12:30 PM 12-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-8 View Post

I have my Cat12 LCR speakers behind a 10 foot wide AT screen. Is it recommended to toe in your L&R speakers?

I do recommend toe-in on the Catalysts. For most rooms I suggest starting with the speakers not fully rotated to aim at your head, but rather such they would aim at the respective arm/shoulder or gap between the adjacent seats if dialing in for a primary seat. Stated another way, the axis of the L/R speakers should cross a few feet behind the listener. There are some cases I have used more extreme toe-in where the on-axis crosses in front of the listener. Depending on the width of the room, seating distance and treatments, you will find adjusting the aiming to mostly affect soundstage width/scale as well as the preciseness in location of the image/sound. Don't hesitate to experiment a bit.

Have a Happy New Year and enjoy the system!
rx-8's Avatar rx-8 02:51 PM 01-01-2013
Thanks for the response Mark. I'm sure that you would not be too surprised to hear that I'm just mesmerized with the sound. I thought that I would be playing 80% movies and 20% music, but I found it's quite the opposite - 80% music and 20% movies. Over the years I've been playing less and less music but these speakers have totally revitalized my passion for music.
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 04:21 PM 01-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-8 View Post

Thanks for the response Mark. I'm sure that you would not be too surprised to hear that I'm just mesmerized with the sound. I thought that I would be playing 80% movies and 20% music, but I found it's quite the opposite - 80% music and 20% movies. Over the years I've been playing less and less music but these speakers have totally revitalized my passion for music.

I can attest to that. I haven't heard as many top end hi-fi, "audiophile" speakers as many of you on here, but listening to 2 channel music is pure bliss. The current room the speakers are in is MUCH less then ideal, yet is leaps and bounds better then my old Paradigm Monitor 7's in every way. Detail, clarity, accuracy, dynamics, obviously sheer power, everything. The imaging is fantastic. Even in this acoustic nightmare of a room with my very limited placement, I get that 3 dimensional imaging after I calibrated everything with the Audyssey XT32 that came with the Integra DHC-80.3. Really fantastic and have yet to get any other reactions out of anybody other then shock and awe. Most of the people that have heard my system aren't avid audiophiles and haven't heard much else other then what bestbuy offers, but even still. I have more critical and difficult to impress people to show my system off to once my dedicated room is finished.

Hey Mark, whenever your in New York, close to Long Island or the city, be sure to let me know biggrin.gif
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 05:47 PM 01-04-2013
I just ordered a pair of Spark surrounds that will be going into my dedicated theater room soon. Anybody have any recommendations on how I can wall mount these? What brackets can I use? I found some images on google of the sparks wall mounted that looks perfect for me, but I have no idea what bracket is being used.

Here's what I found on google images

BrolicBeast's Avatar BrolicBeast 10:53 AM 01-06-2013
Quote:

I just ordered a pair of Spark surrounds that will be going into my dedicated theater room soon. Anybody have any recommendations on how I can wall mount these? What brackets can I use? I found some images on google of the sparks wall mounted that looks perfect for me, but I have no idea what bracket is being used.
Here's what I found on google images

Hey,touch base with the user "audioguy." based on the light gray wall color,I believe that this image is of his sparks (he has a full seaton setup, from Cat 12's to sparks to 4 submersives.)
COACH2369's Avatar COACH2369 11:41 AM 01-06-2013
I have been in his room and that photo came from it.
craig john's Avatar craig john 12:03 PM 01-06-2013
http://www.pinpointmounts.com/am40.html

^ That's what he's using.

Craig
Blackdevil77's Avatar Blackdevil77 01:48 PM 01-06-2013
Thanks, Audioguy contacted me on Seaton Sound Forums. They are certainly perfect for what I need. I e-mailed Sound Anchor to see if they can make something that will work. If not, I'll order these
Kain's Avatar Kain 01:09 AM 02-18-2013
Is there any wall mount for the Catalyst 8C in case I want to wall mount a few as surround speakers? If not, is there any other way to mount them on/to a wall?
Mark Seaton's Avatar Mark Seaton 10:32 AM 02-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post

Is there any wall mount for the Catalyst 8C in case I want to wall mount a few as surround speakers? If not, is there any other way to mount them on/to a wall?

An ~8" deep, on-wall / surface mount Catalyst family member is currently in development. The amplifier connections will be recessed in the top/bottom so it can sit tight to the wall. It would be easy to construct a shelf for the 8C, where I would likely suggest mounting them 28" wide x 11" tall for this application. I have an intention of making an easy means to use an adjustable U-bracket which Allen Mounts offers, but not yet had the need or time to.
Tags: Surround Sound Speaker Placement
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop