post #721 of 810 Old 01-08-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post

How do you guys think the Seaton lineup compares to JTR speakers?

Sorry if I opened a can of worms.
All Seaton speakers are active while all JTR are passive so its hard to compare apples to apples.

Quality, Value, Reputation, and Customer service both are top notch.

Both companies speakers and subwofers are worth every penny they cost. smile.gif

I see the two companies as siblings not competitors. Mark and Jeff have a lot of quality knowledge.

It's Win Win with either so really the answer lies in Active? or Passive? They are 2 different Niches.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 810 Old 01-08-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
Quote:

IMHO both represent the top of the food chain as far as HT speakers go. But both go about it a little different, the common theme to them seems to be amazing quality of sound and components used to make them, backed up with awesome customer service and two very hands on owners/builders that are really nice guys that really know there stuff.

The JTR's tend to be a little more industrial looking and the Seaton Sound speakers are a little more eye candyish. I haven't heard any Seaton speakers but I'm sure they sound as ever bit as good as JTR's and sound is very subjective. You might not like the way a speaker sounds that I think is the best thing since sliced bread.

Really you can't go wrong with either so I think you just need to pick your poison and decide whether you want to go with a top-notch passive speaker or active speaker.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #723 of 810 Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 250
A few observations (some comical..to me at least):

1)all the response so far are JTR guys (including me)

2)customer service is not top notch for both organization. Just being 100% honest here. The issue isn't the quality of the service but the ability to actually get ahold of Mark (Seaton) or Jeff (JTR). Part of good quality service is being able to get ahold of the company easily and conveniently. Both are small shops with little to no staffing. Both, however, build fantastic products and once you get ahold of them, are extremely helpful.

3)as covered, the products each look a certain way and aren't for everybody.

4)build quality and design quality are top notch

5)while next to impossible to actually pull off, a personal demo of either system is the only way you will know if "you" will like the product

6)If you do a search on AVS, I do believe both speakers have been present at certain GTG meets and likely can find feedback/opinions from folks who heard both speakers the same day in the same room
kma100 likes this.
post #724 of 810 Old 01-08-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I have had the pleasure of listening to a full 7.4 Seaton setup, while owning the Noesis 212's.

The Cat-12's paired with the Submersives is an amazing setup.... Part of what made my demo so impressive was how well the room was treated.

Like the previous posts noted, they are both well worth the money and you really can't go wrong. You just have to decide if you want an active or passive style speaker...
post #725 of 810 Old 01-08-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

A few observations (some comical..to me at least):

1)all the response so far are JTR guys (including me)

2)customer service is not top notch for both organization. Just beign 100% honest here. The issue isn't the quality of the service but the ability to actually get ahold of Mark (Seaton) or Jeff (JTR). Part of good quality service is being able to get ahold of the company easily and conveniently. Both are small shops with little to no staffing. Both, however, build fantastic products and once you get ahold of them, are extremely helpful.

3)as covered, the products each look a certain way and aren't for everybody.

4)build quality and design quality are top notch

5)while next to impossible to actually pull off, a personal demo of either system is the only way you will know if "you" will like the product

6)If you do a search on AVS, I do believe both speakers have been present at certain GTG meets and likely can find feedback/opinions from folks who heard both speakers the same day in the same room

LOL at #1...
post #726 of 810 Old 01-08-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

The modern day consumer has a severe lack of patience. I do not feel like that has alot to do with customer service.

Answering phones and returning e-mails is Lady work. Building speakers is a Mans job. Maybe Mark and Jeff should get married. eek.gif

E-mails & Cell phones are really Kicking Patience ass. Instant gratification. rolleyes.gif

These speakers are built to last a lifetime but a little Patience may be required. biggrin.gifsmile.gif

Chris
post #727 of 810 Old 01-08-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have ordered from Jeff four times since March'13 and every time I called him he has answered. To me it seems the best time to get a hold of him is between 3-4pm EST.
post #728 of 810 Old 01-08-2014, 11:30 AM

Liked: 15
When you say that all Seatons are "active" speakers, I assume you mean they are powered by internal amps?

If so, are the amps top-tier quality?

How do you "drive" or manage active speakers.... will a standard receiver work? Or do you need a preamplifier or something?
post #729 of 810 Old 01-08-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:

When you say that all Seatons are "active" speakers, I assume you mean they are powered by internal amps?

How do you "drive" or manage active speakers.... will a standard receiver work? Or do you need a preamplifier or something?

The amps are Speakerpower: http://www.speakerpower.net/ They are good amps. Along with Seaton, JTR and Danley uses them. You can use a pre-amp or an AVR with preouts for a processor. Though a preamp with XLR balanced output would be the best choice. You will need to get 120 volt power to each speaker.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #730 of 810 Old 01-08-2014, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Admittedly, I'm out of the loop with all the changes at JTR but one difference between the two designs is that Jeff gives you more freedom in being able to choose amplification or outboard dsp while Mark bakes this in to the Catalyst. It also seems that Jeff can change drivers and designs more often than would be practical for Mark's approach.

The Catalyst has been around for a while now but there isn't a pressing need to tweak or goose it up because as he says "The Catalyst is rather well vetted." I've come to appreciate Mark's philosophy for the Catalyst for the same reason that his SubMersive is so well regarded. He's done all the work with active crossovers, phase and dsp contouring that I am not qualified to do. The speaker's response is predictable and very well behaved to insane levels of playback because he made the decision to control as much of the design as possible from the get-go.
K1LL3M likes this.
post #731 of 810 Old 01-09-2014, 12:39 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

The on-board amplification is extraordinary.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #732 of 810 Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Quote:

The on-board amplification is extraordinary.

IMO, one of the many benefits of using active speaker design is that you are using the same amplifier(s), and typically a DSP, that the speaker engineer used when designing the speaker for optimum performance. The engineer has taken all of the guess work has been taken out of the equation. The benefit to you is that each and every speaker will sound the same out of the box.

How many times have you read countless pages of people discussing/arguing over "What amp do you recommend using with this speaker?" While this may be entertaining at times, active speakers arrive at your door configured exactly as to how the engineer designed them to sound. Your job is to plug them in and EQ them to your room. I have somewhat/greatly simplified the setup procedure, but the point is many of the physical and electronic variables have already been carefully selected by the designer.

Take the Cat12C for example. Each and every user has an internal tri-amplified (1,000W / 700W / 300W) loudspeaker with an internal DSP and an electronic crossover. What a fun speaker to listen to whether for music or movies. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

The only real downside to active speakers is that you must have a power source available to every speaker. I suggest that you Google "active speakers" and read about the MANY benefits of using an active speaker - just too many to list here.

Landmonster best of luck with your speaker selection.

Cheers!
-- Bill --
post #733 of 810 Old 01-10-2014, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-8 View Post

IMO, one of the many benefits of using active speaker design is that you are using the same amplifier(s), and typically a DSP, that the speaker engineer used when designing the speaker for optimum performance. The engineer has taken all of the guess work has been taken out of the equation. The benefit to you is that each and every speaker will sound the same out of the box.

How many times have you read countless pages of people discussing/arguing over "What amp do you recommend using with this speaker?" While this may be entertaining at times, active speakers arrive at your door configured exactly as to how the engineer designed them to sound. Your job is to plug them in and EQ them to your room. I have somewhat/greatly simplified the setup procedure, but the point is many of the physical and electronic variables have already been carefully selected by the designer.

Take the Cat12C for example. Each and every user has an internal tri-amplified (1,000W / 700W / 300W) loudspeaker with an internal DSP and an electronic crossover. What a fun speaker to listen to whether for music or movies. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

The only real downside to active speakers is that you must have a power source available to every speaker. I suggest that you Google "active speakers" and read about the MANY benefits of using an active speaker - just too many to list here.

Landmonster best of luck with your speaker selection.

Cheers!
-- Bill --

Bill your comment "How many times have you read countless pages of people discussing/arguing over "What amp do you recommend using with this speaker?" is spot on.

I have JTR's I can drive them easily with a 100 wpc amp...but part of me wonders if 200 wpc or 500 wpc or...."x" wpc is "better" given the power rating on the speakers, Jeff's suggestion of using high power amps, and a similar thought echoed by Tom Danley...something to do with headroom.

The nice thing about the Catalyst is that the guesswork is removed...you get an optimized *system*.

I really should take a serious look at mhrischuk's catalyst sale....
post #734 of 810 Old 01-20-2014, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

Phone calls work Best. smile.gif

Chris

Is Mark on vacation? I've tried calling several times getting only voicemail, and it's been 3 weeks since my original email.
Chopsus likes this.
post #735 of 810 Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

He was at the GTG in PA on Sat. Call his cell phone later today and tomorrow. smile.gif
Chris
post #736 of 810 Old 01-23-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

Is Mark on vacation? I've tried calling several times getting only voicemail, and it's been 3 weeks since my original email.

If you think you have issues getting him, try being one of his Aussie customers!!!
Chopsus and teflon78 like this.

I come from a land down under!!!
post #737 of 810 Old 01-23-2014, 02:56 AM

Liked: 11
It is a little concerning the lack of communication. A simple ETA or update takes 10 seconds. No real excuses.
Chopsus likes this.
post #738 of 810 Old 01-23-2014, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The CATs are killer HT loudspeakers. They play effortlessly all they way up to window breaking volumes.
The DSP in them has two settings. One is normal and the second is extended bass.... If you like a fuller ranged sound with less or no sub backup.

As far as Mark not responding, he's a busy guy. I just talked to him face to face last Saturday. He admits to the difficulties of keeping up with the communications. My experience with him when purchasing was pretty average. There was a time here and there where we had trouble connecting but overall not bad.
yorac likes this.

See My System Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #739 of 810 Old 01-23-2014, 04:39 AM

Location: Arse End of the World: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrnambool
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yes, more than a little concerning.

Last communication was on 8 December where mark claimed most items were pallatised and ready to ship that Tuesday ... NO WORD SINCE, no confirmation, no shipping note, nada ... And this is for $70,000 dollars worth of gear paid for up front by hard working Aussies more than four months ago.

Surely being at the arse end of the world doesn't justify a complete lack of communication?
yorac likes this.
post #740 of 810 Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

As far as Mark not responding, he's a busy guy. I just talked to him face to face last Saturday. He admits to the difficulties of keeping up with the communications. My experience with him when purchasing was pretty average. There was a time here and there where we had trouble connecting but overall not bad.

Unfortunately when it gets to about 6 weeks of no communication but he still has time to post on his own forum, then it becomes more than a worry, it starts to become a trust issue.

In the case of an overseas GB then that communication imho becomes even more important so that current, pending and future customers have peace of mind.

Mark may not realize it nor care about it but in Australia he is now hurting and damaging his brand!!!
Chopsus and Jackula like this.

I come from a land down under!!!
post #741 of 810 Old 01-23-2014, 05:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

He was at the GTG in PA on Sat. Call his cell phone later today and tomorrow. smile.gif
Chris

What's his cell number? I've been trying to reach his office without luck.
Chopsus likes this.
post #742 of 810 Old 01-23-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorac View Post

If you think you have issues getting him, try being one of his Aussie customers!!!
I'm sure it can get pretty maddening.
post #743 of 810 Old 01-23-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackula View Post

I'm not aware of any number for him other than the one posted on his site and forum. That said, when I call it I get directed to a voice mail for another number. Not sure if it's his answering service or what though.
post #744 of 810 Old 01-23-2014, 06:34 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopsus View Post

Last communication was on 8 December where mark claimed most items were pallatised and ready to ship that Tuesday ... NO WORD SINCE, no confirmation, no shipping note, nada ... And this is for $70,000 dollars worth of gear paid for up front by hard working Aussies more than four months ago.

Surely being at the arse end of the world doesn't justify a complete lack of communication?

What did you buy for $70k. Wow that's a lot of money.
post #745 of 810 Old 01-23-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackula View Post

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/product-listing-availability-status-and-pricing-3364736

Its in the first paragraph.

Good Luck smile.gif
Chris
post #746 of 810 Old 01-23-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:

Unfortunately when it gets to about 6 weeks of no communication but he still has time to post on his own forum, then it becomes more than a worry, it starts to become a trust issue.

In the case of an overseas GB then that communication imho becomes even more important so that current, pending and future customers have peace of mind.

Mark may not realize it nor care about it but in Australia he is now hurting and damaging his brand!!!

I know for a fact their are 7 pallets of Seaton goods strapped down, wrapped up and labeled awaiting pickup from the shipping company at his shop. They should be going out any day.
post #747 of 810 Old 01-23-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linh27 View Post

Quote:

What did you buy for $70k. Wow that's a lot of money.

Subs (mainly)... lots of 'em. This is a group buy with a dozen or more fellas involved.
Chopsus likes this.
post #748 of 810 Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post

I know for a fact their are 7 pallets of Seaton goods strapped down, wrapped up and labeled awaiting pickup from the shipping company at his shop. They should be going out any day.

Dont you think it should be Mark telling the buyers this and not a person who has visited the factory? I am sure the buyers are happy with the sounds of this message and thanks for updating them!
Chopsus likes this.
post #749 of 810 Old 01-23-2014, 08:37 PM

Location: Arse End of the World: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrnambool
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post

So Mark said nearly two months ago, and yet nothing has happened since and there has been no communication ... Quite strange!
post #750 of 810 Old 01-24-2014, 01:32 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So Mark said nearly two months ago, and yet nothing has happened since and there has been no communication ... Quite strange!

Oh man thats not good at all guys. If your not getting communication, imagine if you have an issue with the sub? I hope it gets sorted for you guys pretty quick.
yorac likes this.

Frank
Reply Speakers

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page