post #751 of 776 Old 01-24-2014, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interleave View Post

Dont you think it should be Mark telling the buyers this and not a person who has visited the factory? I am sure the buyers are happy with the sounds of this message and thanks for updating them!

Nevermind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 776 Old 03-09-2014, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have been listening and tweaking my Seaton Sound system for a month now... this stuff sounds and looks good!!! Of course the SACD and Blue Ray concerts sound the best. However, I have found that streaming MOG and Beats Music (320b music) through SONOS and Oppo 105 DACS and the Seaton Equipment as close to Audio Nirvana as I have ever been. Millions of high res songs at your fingertips and the ability to approach 130db of clean sound has resulted in day after day, night after night of audio fun! My hat goes off to Mark Seaton for making my 40 year audio quest conclude. Attached are a

couple of iPhone photos of the 12c's and stands and F2 subs on the front stage. The surrounds are 8c's all in a Rosenut finish. The pictures do not come close to portraying the quality and beauty of Mark's cabinet makers
post #753 of 776 Old 03-09-2014, 06:32 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post

I have been listening and tweaking my Seaton Sound system for a month now... this stuff sounds and looks good!!! Of course the SACD and Blue Ray concerts sound the best. However, I have found that streaming MOG and Beats Music (320b music) through SONOS and Oppo 105 DACS and the Seaton Equipment as close to Audio Nirvana as I have ever been. Millions of high res songs at your fingertips and the ability to approach 130db of clean sound has resulted in day after day, night after night of audio fun! My hat goes off to Mark Seaton for making my 40 year audio quest conclude. Attached are a

couple of iPhone photos of the 12c's and stands and F2 subs on the front stage. The surrounds are 8c's all in a Rosenut finish. The pictures do not come close to portraying the quality and beauty of Mark's cabinet makers

Beautiful! Not too many pictures of veneered catalysts. Rosenut and espresso are my favorite finishes. 8c for surround - nice! Thanks for sharing. How is the cc given the positioning? Do you have to tilt it up?
post #754 of 776 Old 03-09-2014, 07:13 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kma100 View Post

Beautiful! How is the cc given the positioning? Do you have to tilt it up?

I purchased some rubber cabinet feet that are roughy 1" high to help tilt the cc upward toward listening position. The ever so slight toe in of the LR actually made the most difference. The slight toe in made the front soundstage sound wider than when I swapped the 12c's and f2's as shown in the photos. The coaxial drivers in the catalysts are so forgiving compared to other speakers I have owned as far as positioning goes... The sweet spot is HUGE and as soon as the "tilts and twists" were "enough to make a difference, the sound wasn't enhanced by exaggerating the tilt and swivel of the front stage mains.
post #755 of 776 Old 03-10-2014, 05:03 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Men these are Beautiful Speakers they look bad ASS
post #756 of 776 Old 03-10-2014, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Outstanding!
post #757 of 776 Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The Seaton's are indeed a beautiful and remarkable product. It's reassuring to see that someone is still focused on such quality.
post #758 of 776 Old 03-11-2014, 04:30 AM

Liked: 12
Its quite funny as you have two guys producing amazing products, Mark from Seaton Sound and Jeff from JTR. Both of these guys produce speakers that are world class, but I have to hand it to Mark his range also is world class in the cosmetic department. They are beautifully finished, whereas Jeff's industrial finish is brilliant for an AT setup. When the ugly ducklings are hidden who cares as in my opinion they are the equal to a Catalyst in a passive setup. Moving from the JTRs to the Catalysts didnt give me the jump the JTRs gave me. Mind you I havent seent Jeff's veneer finished product but the finesse that Mark has put into his range is second to none.
post #759 of 776 Old 03-11-2014, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:

However, I have found that streaming MOG and Beats Music (320b music) through SONOS and Oppo 105 DACS and the Seaton Equipment as close to Audio Nirvana as I have ever been. Millions of high res songs at your fingertips and the ability to approach 130db of clean sound has resulted in day after day, night after night of audio fun!

Amen to that! Sonos is an unbelievable tool for music exploration and, as you say, the quality of so much of it is incredible. I'm surprised Sonos doesn't have more traction on these forums.

Also, those pics of your system are fantastic! I love Mark's designs.

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #760 of 776 Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Amen to that! Sonos is an unbelievable tool for music exploration and, as you say, the quality of so much of it is incredible. I'm surprised Sonos doesn't have more traction on these forums.

Also, those pics of your system are fantastic! I love Mark's designs.

Thankfully, they have traction in the market.  their last earnings report had their revenue at half-a-billion dollars!  They cater to everyone!  Enthusiasts can use their Connect modules while casual listeners can use their Play and Soundbar products.  So rarely does an audio-only company do both categories so well!

post #761 of 776 Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 279

Saddlesore,

That is one absolutely marvelous system you've got going there! WOW--just looking at them is inspirational.  The veneer blends well into your room as well.

post #762 of 776 Old 04-09-2014, 11:34 AM

Liked: 13
I was recently in the market to upgrade my single SVS PB-13 Ultra subwoofer when some people told me about Seaton Sound. I heard a great demo of the F2+s and was all set to place an order for dual F2+s when I realized I couldn't get either the F2+ or the HP+ to fit. So instead I opted to get another PB-13 Ultra.

Anyway, the experience of listening to the F2+s got me to interested in learning more about Seaton Sound. (Also, the process of adding just one more component inevitably leads one to notice all the other things you want to upgrade! biggrin.gif) My next upgrade will be my LCRs and my amplifier. (For context, I currently run Paradigm Titan Monitors for the LR and a Paradigm CC-390 for the center. I have a Denon 4308ci as the receiver.) As I've been doing my research, I've seen absolute rave reviews of the Catalyst 12C ($3800) from users. (Can't find anything on professional review sites. though.) Other than the Meridians, I don't know of any other internally amplified LCRs.

Of course, upgrading all 3 LCR speakers AND getting a new amp is expensive, so I'm going to hold off until I can do it right. So long way around to asking this question but when thinking about my overall budget for these speakers, can I leave the amp upgrade out of the equation since the Catalyst 12Cs are self-powered? In other words, would it be $3800 x 3 = $11,400 all in? It's still definitely on the high side for me (current budget is only around $3-4k - which is why I'm waiting), but not needing a $4000 amp to power these makes it a bit easier to justify.
wilfredent likes this.
post #763 of 776 Old 04-09-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Correct, you would not need additional amplification. Multiple amps are "in" the Catalysts. Just analog out from your preamp / processor to the speakers with an interconnect (preferably balanced if a long run and also to avoid using an adapter, as the Catalysts are balanced in only).
post #764 of 776 Old 04-10-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post

When you say that all Seatons are "active" speakers, I assume you mean they are powered by internal amps?

If so, are the amps top-tier quality?

How do you "drive" or manage active speakers.... will a standard receiver work? Or do you need a preamplifier or something?
As Mike said, the amps are Speaker power amps and I have them in my PSA Triax's. So far they have been flawless, I push em pretty good.
post #765 of 776 Old 04-22-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
RE: Seaton Outdoor Speakers?

I've been out of the loop for a while.
Finally working on a patio project and thinking (again) about outdoor sound.
Posted questions here: "Outdoor Speaker System - Patio in Wisconsin"
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1528530/outdoor-speaker-system-patio-in-wisconsin#post_24634636

I recall years ago the possibility of Seaton outdoor speakers.
Did those ever become reality?

Mike
post #766 of 776 Old 04-23-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

RE: Seaton Outdoor Speakers?

I've been out of the loop for a while.
Finally working on a patio project and thinking (again) about outdoor sound.
Posted questions here: "Outdoor Speaker System - Patio in Wisconsin"
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1528530/outdoor-speaker-system-patio-in-wisconsin#post_24634636

I recall years ago the possibility of Seaton outdoor speakers.
Did those ever become reality?

Mike

It was something I had played with in the past and a few custom solutions, but nothing we've put to production yet. At the moment we're focused on getting production rolling on things like stands, announced products, and hopefully some surprises as well. We'll be getting to these soon after the madness of the AXPONA show this weekend.
Mike_WI likes this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #767 of 776 Old 04-23-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

It was something I had played with in the past and a few custom solutions, but nothing we've put to production yet. At the moment we're focused on getting production rolling on things like stands, announced products, and hopefully some surprises as well. We'll be getting to these soon after the madness of the AXPONA show this weekend.
Mark -

Thanks for the info.
Wish you had something, but understand limited time and effort available to get into this market segment.
I hope all is going well.

Mike
post #768 of 776 Old 04-26-2014, 06:59 PM

Liked: 24
Seeing/hearing Marks setup at AXPONA was really something special. 3 Cat12's LCR ,4 Cat8's, 4 F2's, and 2 HP's.... Wow.
This was my first time hearing his offerings and it was the highlight of my day. I heard speakers $250,000+ today and I would still take these over them.
He demoed some music than played a clip from HTTYD and my jaw dropped. I've never heard bass like that before.
You will not meet a nicer guy than mark. I had a little conversation with him and he was extremely nice and willing to answer anything. I'm glad I did cause after telling him how impressed I was he replied... Come back at 6 when it closes, I'm doing a demo of Art of Flight ( the Alaska scene )
Now I've watched this movie probably 20 times as it always my go to demo in my system.
I've never experienced audio like this before... Amazing. He went on to play scenes from U-571 and the pod scene from WWOW. Craziness..... The dynamics of these speakers and having 6 Submersives in the mix is just silly 😉 and I was loving every minute of it. Never seen so many grown men grinning from ear to ear.
Than there were numerous noise complaints and people at the hotel restaurant saying the hotel was shaking... Hahaha.
Anyways, glad I had the opportunity to meet the man behind the speakers and the speakers/subs them self
Mike_WI likes this.
post #769 of 776 Old 04-26-2014, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Mark.. The whole Seaton Experience at the Axpona was exhilarating.. Any of you who hasn't heard any of he's speakers or subs. You just have to get a demo from someone who owns them. Or get to the Axpona. Or do a blind buy. Trust me you won't be disappointed. Especially the Cats. Friggin amazing..

Balbolito likes this.
post #770 of 776 Old 04-27-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Simply awesome! cool.gif
post #771 of 776 Old 04-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Mark.. The whole Seaton Experience at the Axpona was exhilarating.. Any of you who hasn't heard any of he's speakers or subs. You just have to get a demo from someone who owns them. Or get to the Axpona. Or do a blind buy. Trust me you won't be disappointed. Especially the Cats. Friggin amazing..

Thanks for pics - was Mark happy with sound - usually nightmare to get decent audio in those show rooms
especially low end

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #772 of 776 Old 04-29-2014, 03:29 PM

Best home theater demo I've ever heard. Clarity, power, and smoothness. Amazing.
post #773 of 776 Old 05-17-2014, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 75

MARK SEATON will be at The Show in Newport CA !

Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

I can now confirm I'll be in room 635 at the Hilton. It's a very last minute plan, but fortunately much of the work going into the Axpona display helps make THE show a little easier to pull together. Brian from SpeakerPower (who's office is only a few miles from the show) will also be in the room much of the weekend.

It will be nice to meet a few faces behind some screen names I've seen so many times.

If you want to meet us at the show, respond at the Los Angeles GTG Thread

http://www.avsforum.com/t/727555/los-angeles-home-theater-group-meet/6200_100

post #774 of 776 Old 06-04-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I listened to some of the cuts that Mark used at THE Show last night and every time I listen to music (or movies) on this system I am blown away by how much great sound is reproduced.

I have a friend who will be building a home in the mountains. His current home has one of the very best two channel systems I have ever heard (probably north of $200,000 -- Magico, dCS stack, Spectral amps and preamps, amazing turntable, etc) and his theater is outstanding as well (dual SubMersives). After listening to my system, his new theater will be all Seaton. He is as impressed by the audio as much as I am and I get the sense if he were starting today in his current home, it too would be all Seaton. Got to be one of the very best audio values out there.
post #775 of 776 Old 06-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
been fun reading reviews on various audio forum last few weeks on peoples experience with Seaton at the Chicago and new port shows
and being totally blow away with the demo's
Nice having them in my HT - awesome
Congrats Mark

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #776 of 776 Old 06-07-2014, 09:56 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

great pics! enjoy them biggrin.gif
Reply Speakers

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page