Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #781 of 808 Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So 2 Cat 12's and a single sun will be a good start for a 2.1 system? I have an older Onkyo PRSC886 but am not against buying a new pre/pro, an Oppo 105d and some good cables.

I emailed mark to ask about a demo of these speakers (and sub??) at my home. Has this been done before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 808 Old 08-21-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
So 2 Cat 12's and a single sun will be a good start for a 2.1 system? I have an older Onkyo PRSC886 but am not against buying a new pre/pro, an Oppo 105d and some good cables.

I emailed mark to ask about a demo of these speakers (and sub??) at my home. Has this been done before?
I wouldn't say they are a "Start" by any means. The Cat12s are definitely in my all time top 3.
post #783 of 808 Old 08-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
I realize that I'm a total PITA with this HT and stereo stuff. Maybe the Cats are just what I need. Actually have room behind the couch to hide a sub or two if needed. Probably wouldn't be the ideal placement for a sub but it's better than not having a sub at all. Guess it's coming down to Focal 1038be vs Cat12's.

Trying to line up an at home demo if it's at all possible.
post #784 of 808 Old 09-21-2014, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Guys,

Need some advise here.

Suddenly 1 of my Cat 12 have intermittent cut off of sound and it give out some static noise (like when you burning those damp firewood).

So I though it could be cable, power point or power cord. So I switch around the 3 Cat 12 and it seem only that particular speaker having problem only.

So I remove the XLR cable and only plug in the power cord and switch the amp on. Even without any signal input there is still the static noise.

Do you think is the Amp problem or Speakers problem. The noise is from the Coaxial driver only.

BTW after the amp cool down it happen maybe every 15 - 20 minutes. However when halfway through the movie the amp is pretty hot and the lost of sound it happen every few minutes and last for few second only. Like a sentence it lost 3 - 5 words.

Thanks
Cheers

Last edited by Marcus Gan; 09-21-2014 at 06:35 PM.
post #785 of 808 Old 09-21-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
I wouldn't say they are a "Start" by any means. The Cat12s are definitely in my all time top 3.
I know you've heard quite a few different speakers so just curious as to what two you would but above the Cats? I've never heard them.
post #786 of 808 Old 09-22-2014, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Gan View Post
Hi Guys,

Need some advise here.

Suddenly 1 of my Cat 12 have intermittent cut off of sound and it give out some static noise (like when you burning those damp firewood).

So I though it could be cable, power point or power cord. So I switch around the 3 Cat 12 and it seem only that particular speaker having problem only.

So I remove the XLR cable and only plug in the power cord and switch the amp on. Even without any signal input there is still the static noise.

Do you think is the Amp problem or Speakers problem. The noise is from the Coaxial driver only.

BTW after the amp cool down it happen maybe every 15 - 20 minutes. However when halfway through the movie the amp is pretty hot and the lost of sound it happen every few minutes and last for few second only. Like a sentence it lost 3 - 5 words.

Thanks
Cheers
Could be picking up noise from the power source... your house wiring. Have you done anything different in your house like change your wiring or install lights or appliances?

See My System Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #787 of 808 Old 09-22-2014, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post
Could be picking up noise from the power source... your house wiring. Have you done anything different in your house like change your wiring or install lights or appliances?
Didn't change or add anything. Only happen that fews bulbs blowed so replace them.

Marcus
post #788 of 808 Old 09-22-2014, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

What kind of bulbs? Just curious.

See My System Here

post #789 of 808 Old 09-22-2014, 04:21 AM

Fluorescence light
post #790 of 808 Old 09-22-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
I know you've heard quite a few different speakers so just curious as to what two you would but above the Cats? I've never heard them.
Some of my favorites today include the following - it would be hard to give them a "ranking" since each had their own strengths respectively:

Seaton Cat 12s
Danley SH50s
JTR Noesis 212HT
Yorkville U215
countryWV likes this.
post #791 of 808 Old 09-22-2014, 06:31 PM

Thanks,

Manage to solve the problem. Speaker Power reply to me.

In case anybody have the same problem next time. Just switch to another Program Sel and power cycle. All those static noise gone.

Cheers
Marcus
post #792 of 808 Old 09-23-2014, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Glad it was an easy fix!
post #793 of 808 Old 09-29-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Hello fellow Seaton Sound owners.

Recently I became an owner of three Cat-12's after a LONG ordeal with some other speakers. Boy am I happy that I made the change. From the looks to the performance, these are something special.

Anybody heading to the RMAF, I highly recommend stopping by the Seaton Sound room. Mark is going to have a pair of Cat-12's running in full range mode. Wish I could head out there and meet him in person, because he is a great guy to do business with. He will be in the Atrium level 4, room 441.

Once again, very happy to be part of this group now.
Mark Seaton likes this.
post #794 of 808 Old 09-29-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Hello fellow Seaton Sound owners.

Recently I became an owner of three Cat-12's after a LONG ordeal with some other speakers. Boy am I happy that I made the change. From the looks to the performance, these are something special.

Anybody heading to the RMAF, I highly recommend stopping by the Seaton Sound room. Mark is going to have a pair of Cat-12's running in full range mode. Wish I could head out there and meet him in person, because he is a great guy to do business with. He will be in the Atrium level 4, room 441.

Once again, very happy to be part of this group now.
Glad you found the right speakers for you. You can run but you can't hide...I still want my demo...bring those bad boys to Cinci
post #795 of 808 Old 09-29-2014, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Subscribe
post #796 of 808 Old 10-09-2014, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Need some advise here.

Thanks
Cheers
Just came across this and wanted to verify something.... Do the CAT 12 amps get really hot? I have a CAT 8 for a center channel and it's not too bad but I do think it gets way to warm when left on with no program material so I turn it off after I am done. This isn't because I am fearful of a amp fault, but merely the amount of heat it puts out in the room as the room can get quite stuffy. So I was curious as to how bad the CAT 12's get once I saw this... Also, can any HP+ owner comment on the 4k watt amp and it's heat output? Auto turn on & off are one feature I wish would get implemented because of this. I plan on hitting the Seaton forum as well but thought I would ask here since I saw this comment.
post #797 of 808 Old 10-09-2014, 03:46 PM

Yes, it seem to be pretty hot. However the problem is back. All my 3 cat12 is on for 24/7 and only 1 speaker has this problem. Try to switch the channels and the problem follow the speaker.

If I power off the speaker for 2-3 days and it will work as normal for sometimes 1-2 days without statics noise.

Still trying to figure out what's happen. Btw it get worst if I switch the processor on.

Marcus Gan
post #798 of 808 Old 10-09-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, it seem to be pretty hot. However the problem is back. All my 3 cat12 is on for 24/7 and only 1 speaker has this problem. Try to switch the channels and the problem follow the speaker.

If I power off the speaker for 2-3 days and it will work as normal for sometimes 1-2 days without statics noise.

Still trying to figure out what's happen. Btw it get worst if I switch the processor on.

Marcus Gan
Sounds like the amp might need to be replaced. Are you still under warranty?
post #799 of 808 Old 10-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
+1

Those Speaker Power amps should run pretty cool. Contact Mark about this issue.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #800 of 808 Old 10-09-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Probably not. I will check it out.
post #801 of 808 Old 10-09-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
+1

Those Speaker Power amps should run pretty cool. Contact Mark about this issue.
Noted, will check with Mark. BTW 3 of my CAT 12 seem to be at the same temperature. However my 2 subs using Speaker Power amp they run cool. May be SP1 & SP3 are different.

Cheers
post #802 of 808 Old 10-10-2014, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

When I had the CATs the one thing I was disappointed with is the lack of an auto-on feature. I added switch relays..

Here is the specific post...
**The Official Seaton Sound Speaker Thread**

See My System Here

post #803 of 808 Old 10-10-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
When I had the CATs the one thing I was disappointed with is the lack of an auto-on feature. I added switch relays..

Here is the specific post...
**The Official Seaton Sound Speaker Thread**
Very cool... I have a PS Audio AV5000 that I think does something like this but I haven't had time to really mess with it to verify. So why did you get rid of your CAT's?
post #804 of 808 Old 10-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Very cool... I have a PS Audio AV5000 that I think does something like this but I haven't had time to really mess with it to verify. So why did you get rid of your CAT's?
Poor choice on my part with regards to my room and what would work in it. They sound phenomenal in the correctly sized and treated environment. My room is asymmetrical with no treatments.

See My System Here

post #805 of 808 Old 10-11-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Poor choice on my part with regards to my room and what would work in it. They sound phenomenal in the correctly sized and treated environment. My room is asymmetrical with no treatments.
You are correct. They do need lots of room treatment. But when in the right room, they are the most "fun" speaker I have ever owned.

Even when I'm not having a particularly good day, I am at least having a day!

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #806 of 808 Old 10-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
So, I'm sitting here (for my second night in a row) a little buzzed listening to everything and anything I can find out of my Cat 12 (2 channel) system and I'm still thrilled by it! I have no treatments, just a bunch of carpet and soft sofa material, and I'm still very happy! Two Cat 12's and two Sub-M's and I'm probably overcooked (and better for it, lol) on bass. This whole area turns into a club-like environment when I want it, and when I just feel like listening at intimate levels and "feeling it" I'm plenty happy. I have to say, these things still make me happy! Mark has done a great job, and these are, in my opinion, very diverse. I can crank the heck out of them or just sit back and listen to them in a relaxed environment and enjoy them to death. They've brought tears to my eyes more than once, and put chills down my spine at least a few times. My old Paradigm Studio 60s were great, but they are not missed, lol. This is about my one year anniversary with these speakers and I'm still very happy I bought them (thanks Mike for the great deal).
post #807 of 808 Old 10-17-2014, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 316
@DreamWarrior Glad to hear you're still loving those Seatons Brian! I'd of figured you'd have found a way to sneak some treatments in by now

Are you running the Cat's full range for 2 channel or only with subs?

Last edited by Gooddoc; 10-17-2014 at 12:24 AM.
post #808 of 808 Old Today, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
@DreamWarrior Glad to hear you're still loving those Seatons Brian! I'd of figured you'd have found a way to sneak some treatments in by now

Are you running the Cat's full range for 2 channel or only with subs?
Hey, sorry, missed this -- I am running them w/ two Seaton SubMs. I have my crossover a little low, at 60hz, but I like it that way. I have never tried them full range for long. Just a few times toggling the sub channel on/off (which shuts of the x-over and makes the mains full range) to see how much low end I lost. I've yet to tinker with the full range program on them. Heck, I've never even toyed with it on my SubMs.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page