Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #781 of 790 Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So 2 Cat 12's and a single sun will be a good start for a 2.1 system? I have an older Onkyo PRSC886 but am not against buying a new pre/pro, an Oppo 105d and some good cables.

I emailed mark to ask about a demo of these speakers (and sub??) at my home. Has this been done before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 790 Old 08-21-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
So 2 Cat 12's and a single sun will be a good start for a 2.1 system? I have an older Onkyo PRSC886 but am not against buying a new pre/pro, an Oppo 105d and some good cables.

I emailed mark to ask about a demo of these speakers (and sub??) at my home. Has this been done before?
I wouldn't say they are a "Start" by any means. The Cat12s are definitely in my all time top 3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #783 of 790 Old 08-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I realize that I'm a total PITA with this HT and stereo stuff. Maybe the Cats are just what I need. Actually have room behind the couch to hide a sub or two if needed. Probably wouldn't be the ideal placement for a sub but it's better than not having a sub at all. Guess it's coming down to Focal 1038be vs Cat12's.

Trying to line up an at home demo if it's at all possible.
post #784 of 790 Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Guys,

Need some advise here.

Suddenly 1 of my Cat 12 have intermittent cut off of sound and it give out some static noise (like when you burning those damp firewood).

So I though it could be cable, power point or power cord. So I switch around the 3 Cat 12 and it seem only that particular speaker having problem only.

So I remove the XLR cable and only plug in the power cord and switch the amp on. Even without any signal input there is still the static noise.

Do you think is the Amp problem or Speakers problem. The noise is from the Coaxial driver only.

BTW after the amp cool down it happen maybe every 15 - 20 minutes. However when halfway through the movie the amp is pretty hot and the lost of sound it happen every few minutes and last for few second only. Like a sentence it lost 3 - 5 words.

Thanks
Cheers

Last edited by Marcus Gan; Yesterday at 06:35 PM.
post #785 of 790 Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
I wouldn't say they are a "Start" by any means. The Cat12s are definitely in my all time top 3.
I know you've heard quite a few different speakers so just curious as to what two you would but above the Cats? I've never heard them.
post #786 of 790 Old Today, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Gan View Post
Hi Guys,

Need some advise here.

Suddenly 1 of my Cat 12 have intermittent cut off of sound and it give out some static noise (like when you burning those damp firewood).

So I though it could be cable, power point or power cord. So I switch around the 3 Cat 12 and it seem only that particular speaker having problem only.

So I remove the XLR cable and only plug in the power cord and switch the amp on. Even without any signal input there is still the static noise.

Do you think is the Amp problem or Speakers problem. The noise is from the Coaxial driver only.

BTW after the amp cool down it happen maybe every 15 - 20 minutes. However when halfway through the movie the amp is pretty hot and the lost of sound it happen every few minutes and last for few second only. Like a sentence it lost 3 - 5 words.

Thanks
Cheers
Could be picking up noise from the power source... your house wiring. Have you done anything different in your house like change your wiring or install lights or appliances?

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #787 of 790 Old Today, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post
Could be picking up noise from the power source... your house wiring. Have you done anything different in your house like change your wiring or install lights or appliances?
Didn't change or add anything. Only happen that fews bulbs blowed so replace them.

Marcus
post #788 of 790 Old Today, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
What kind of bulbs? Just curious.

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #789 of 790 Old Today, 04:21 AM

Fluorescence light
post #790 of 790 Old Today, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
I know you've heard quite a few different speakers so just curious as to what two you would but above the Cats? I've never heard them.
Some of my favorites today include the following - it would be hard to give them a "ranking" since each had their own strengths respectively:

Seaton Cat 12s
Danley SH50s
JTR Noesis 212HT
Yorkville U215
countryWV likes this.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page