12Likes

post #811 of 831 Old 10-25-2014, 05:27 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hey guys, posted this over at Seaton but should have posted here as well.
http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...c-feet-7145577

I'm looking to upgrade to more capable speakers for my new home which I'm moving into next year. It will have a 4700 cubic foot family room open to the kitchen as well. LP is likely to be 14-16 feet from the mains. WAF is a huge concern so the 12c's are out of the question. Subs will be my dual opposed diys.

Have a chance to get a set of Cat8s for LCR. Currently own Paradigm Sig S2s and signature center in a small 1700 cubic foot room and they sound quite nice albeit strain at reference levels. Crossed at 120hz.

HT/Music is 80/20,but I still want speakers that sound great when I do want to pop in some two channel. If it matters, current pre is an Integra 80.3.

Would love your thoughts on it? Going to audition some 12's today (8s are used as rears in the setup I'm going to see). But different size of room. Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 831 Old 10-25-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
Hey guys, posted this over at Seaton but should have posted here as well.
http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...c-feet-7145577

I'm looking to upgrade to more capable speakers for my new home which I'm moving into next year. It will have a 4700 cubic foot family room open to the kitchen as well. LP is likely to be 14-16 feet from the mains. WAF is a huge concern so the 12c's are out of the question. Subs will be my dual opposed diys.

Have a chance to get a set of Cat8s for LCR. Currently own Paradigm Sig S2s and signature center in a small 1700 cubic foot room and they sound quite nice albeit strain at reference levels. Crossed at 120hz.

HT/Music is 80/20,but I still want speakers that sound great when I do want to pop in some two channel. If it matters, current pre is an Integra 80.3.

Would love your thoughts on it? Going to audition some 12's today (8s are used as rears in the setup I'm going to see). But different size of room. Thx
My thoughts are that the 12's are beautiful speakers with a fit and finish 2nd to none IMO. With matching stands they should have a high WAF.

Also, IMO the 8's are not large enough for effortless reference level volume at 16 ft. listening position in a 4500sf room. You'll likely be pushing their limits. But that's just my opinion
audiovideoholic likes this.
post #813 of 831 Old 10-25-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Isn't the difference in max SPL between the 12C and 8C roughly 3 dB? That doesn't seem like a whole lot, unless I am wrong or missing something.
post #814 of 831 Old 10-25-2014, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Waf

+1

In a room that size, you are definitely going to want the 12C's. Otherwise, you may purchase the 8C's and determine for yourself that you need the 12C's after all. Then you can utilize the 8C's as surrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
My thoughts are that the 12's are beautiful speakers with a fit and finish 2nd to none IMO. With matching stands they should have a high WAF.

Also, IMO the 8's are not large enough for effortless reference level volume at 16 ft. listening position in a 4500sf room. You'll likely be pushing their limits. But that's just my opinion
post #815 of 831 Old 10-27-2014, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Looks like another late night in front of these speakers -- another night of tears in my eyes, lol. Tonight I was listening to a bunch of classic stuff that I know my dad used to love and I just kept wishing he could be here to hear them with me. Unfortunately, he passed a few years back; this doesn't help with the tears, lol.

As for WAF -- I can't speak to that, I hate to tell people what they'd want to accept into their homes, but I can say the finish on these is really quite nice. They are certainly not small, but in a big enough room, I don't think they are overwhelming. I'm sure my wife would disagree, but she understands (or at least tolerates, lol) my passion for sound. I suppose I'm lucky, just don't tell her, I don't need her head swelling up, lol.
Mark Seaton likes this.
post #816 of 831 Old 11-09-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
You are correct. They do need lots of room treatment.***
Why? They're moderately wide controlled directivity speakers (~100º midrange pattern) speakers, so they require less room mutiliation than speakers with wider directivity.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #817 of 831 Old 11-09-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Why? They're moderately wide controlled directivity speakers (~100º midrange pattern) speakers, so they require less room mutiliation than speakers with wider directivity.
I've had them in rooms with less and more treatment, and more sounded much better. More is also the correct kind of treatment. Every piece in my room, except on the ceiling, it either pure diffusive or bass absorptive and mid/high diffusive

Based upon your use of the word "mutilation", you are not a big fan of room treatment.

As most of us know, but contrary to what some believe, this hobby is about preference and not reference.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
post #818 of 831 Old 11-09-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
As most of us know, but contrary to what some believe, this hobby is about preference and not reference.
My point seems to have eluded you, but it was simply that, due to their directivity, room mutilation will lead to smaller differences with the Cats than such things would with more conventional 'hifi" speakers.

Simply because their directivity in the midband is (a) narrower and (b) more consistent.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #819 of 831 Old 11-09-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
My point seems to have eluded you, but it was simply that, due to their directivity, room mutilation will lead to smaller differences with the Cats than such things would with more conventional 'hifi" speakers.

Simply because their directivity in the midband is (a) narrower and (b) more consistent.
Your point most certainly did not "elude" me. I underdstood perfectly and my answer remains the same.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
post #820 of 831 Old 11-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Here's a quick video of my theater room and my Seaton Sound system I just took. I just got a Zoom H4n sound recorder and wanted to try it out, figured this would be a good way to test it out. Sorry if there are some parts were the audio and video aren't completely in sync. The software I used to edit the video made it impossible to get the audio perfectly in sync. The adjustments just weren't that precise.

Here's the vid. Youtube is giving me problems with Safari, I can't figure out why the video came out so laggy and grainy.

Frohlich and Balbolito like this.

Last edited by Blackdevil77; 11-09-2014 at 08:46 PM.
post #821 of 831 Old 12-06-2014, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Mark just announced a year end sale for the Submersives

100$ off HP+/F2+ or HPi+/F2i+ (230v)
50$ off any HP/F2 slaves (which are non-powered)
50% off SpeakON cables when ordered with a Submersive

click here

Last edited by Balbolito; 12-06-2014 at 05:37 AM.
post #822 of 831 Old 12-13-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Had a chance to hear forum member Pennynike1's system today. He has the Cat12's as LCR and 4 mackies as surround, plus 4 Terraformas. He just moved into the house so the basement isn't finished and the speakers still sounded great! The bass integration was already really good. Played some music I am very familiar with and the sound was very tight with tons of headroom. Movie clips were really good too.

Seaton makes some great products and Alex is putting together one hell of a theater setup. Going to be EPIC.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #823 of 831 Old 12-14-2014, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My 2 channel stuff is up for sale and as soon as it sells I will be joining the Seaton family.
post #824 of 831 Old 12-14-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
My 2 channel stuff is up for sale and as soon as it sells I will be joining the Seaton family.

I thought you were going to get the JBL M2's?
post #825 of 831 Old 12-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I thought you were going to get the JBL M2's?
Since these speakers will ultimately go to the HT system I figured why spend all the $$ on a full range speaker, like the M2. I can use the Cat12's in full range in my family room till the basement is completed and then put the Cats to use with my subs.

I've always wanted the Cats and should have already bought them by now. Part of the fun for me (and many on here as well) is trying out different components/speakers. Should the Cats not work out the M2's will always be there.
post #826 of 831 Old 12-14-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
Since these speakers will ultimately go to the HT system I figured why spend all the $$ on a full range speaker, like the M2. I can use the Cat12's in full range in my family room till the basement is completed and then put the Cats to use with my subs.

I've always wanted the Cats and should have already bought them by now. Part of the fun for me (and many on here as well) is trying out different components/speakers. Should the Cats not work out the M2's will always be there.
Very true, I still can't believe that you're selling you basically brand new Legacy's. Taking a lose like that has to be a tough pill to swallow.
post #827 of 831 Old 12-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Very true, I still can't believe that you're selling you basically brand new Legacy's. Taking a lose like that has to be a tough pill to swallow.
I know, it's a great setup with the Emotiva mono block amps but it's just not something i could see being used in a my HT setup.

My goal in HT is to feel like I'm front row at a concert and hopefully the Cat12's as LCR will do that with some help from the subs. Not sure how the Cat12's will compare to the Legacy for the weeks or months they be used in a 2 channel setup in the family room but with the ultimate goal being HT use it should work out fine.
post #828 of 831 Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

Glad you liked it Lance!

Glad you liked what you heard @lbrown105 and I had a good time last weekend showing off the system a bit. Having the electrician pay me a day-long visit on Wednesday to give me dedicated lines. He has been extremely busy so I was ecstatic to hear that he is finally available. That will allow me to really cut loose! I was definitely getting some voltage lag with the electrical: lights would flicker and my TV would turn off during heavy bass scenes on occasion.

I now need to enter the territory of acoustical treatments. It should be educational

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Had a chance to hear forum member Pennynike1's system today. He has the Cat12's as LCR and 4 mackies as surround, plus 4 Terraformas. He just moved into the house so the basement isn't finished and the speakers still sounded great! The bass integration was already really good. Played some music I am very familiar with and the sound was very tight with tons of headroom. Movie clips were really good too.

Seaton makes some great products and Alex is putting together one hell of a theater setup. Going to be EPIC.
Mark Seaton likes this.
post #829 of 831 Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
Glad you liked what you heard @lbrown105 and I had a good time last weekend showing off the system a bit. Having the electrician pay me a day-long visit on Wednesday to give me dedicated lines. He has been extremely busy so I was ecstatic to hear that he is finally available. That will allow me to really cut loose! I was definitely getting some voltage lag with the electrical: lights would flicker and my TV would turn off during heavy bass scenes on occasion.

I now need to enter the territory of acoustical treatments. It should be educational
Alex I wish I could hear your system unleashed!!!...lol

Cat 12's for LCR's and four Terraform subs would literally be insane!
pennynike1 likes this.
post #830 of 831 Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

thanks joe

Thanks Joe! It has been quite the journey going from apartment to house and trying to get everything set up. My room is still raw, but as speakers and components trickle in, it becomes more difficult not to think about movies when away from home.

Quote:
Alex I wish I could hear your system unleashed!!!...lol

Cat 12's for LCR's and four Terraform subs would literally be insane!
post #831 of 831 Old Today, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I posted this in the seaton forum as well for reference

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...post1285432948

I have long term plans (years from now) for a large dedicated theater with 2 rows, the 2nd row at approx. 18-20ft (5000-6000 cu ft.)

In a perfect world I would get the cat 12c for LCR and be done with it. However... In my current living situation the 12c may be a bit imposing in my typical domestic living room/TV room.

Given the 3 to 6+db difference in max output between the 12c and 8c depending on frequency, would a baffle mounted 8c approach the sound quality and db levels of the 12c with the added low end efficiency provided by a properly designed baffle wall? My desired output capability is reference volume with preserved dynamic peaks but no louder.

Also, with top priority placed on the sound quality of a center channel for home theater, would the 8c give up anything to the 12c in ultimate sound power and midbass energy given the above configuration (baffle mounting)?

Finally, is there a stock baffle wall DSP setting for the 8c similar to the 12c option?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page