**The Official Seaton Sound Speaker Thread** - Page 29 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
post #841 of 866 Old 01-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Only took me about 5 years to get to this point, but finally joining the Seaton Sound family next week. Although the HT is not done, or even started, I am getting 3 Cat12's for LCR. In the mean time I'll use 2 of them and a passive sub or two as 2 channel in my family room. Might have Mark add the full range DSP program so I don't need to complicate things and add subs.

Looking forward to next week!!
Mark Seaton likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 866 Old 01-08-2015, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
I've been looking for something like this also for atmos use. I have an all active Danley setup with SH100Bs and SH100s (I believe they use the same coaxial as the Seatons.

Other options I've been considering are the volt 6's or waiting on one of the newer higher end models from diy sound group. Apparently JTR may be designing a low profile atmos speaker also?
I second the volt line from the DIY sound group. There are some members running them with JTR's and they have commented on them sounding very similar.

Here is the thread: Coaxials: Another DIY Group Project.
post #843 of 866 Old 01-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
Only took me about 5 years to get to this point, but finally joining the Seaton Sound family next week. Although the HT is not done, or even started, I am getting 3 Cat12's for LCR. In the mean time I'll use 2 of them and a passive sub or two as 2 channel in my family room. Might have Mark add the full range DSP program so I don't need to complicate things and add subs.

Congrats John and welcome to the club.

Cheers!
-- Bill --
post #844 of 866 Old 01-08-2015, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 348
As a quick heads up, I know all too well many Catalyst and SubMersive owners are looking forward to the Spark and related on-wall designs to be released. Among a variety of factors, there have been 2 major hold ups here.

First relates to service issues with too many of the compact Spark amplifiers. These proved to have notably more issues than the Catalyst or 1000W SubMersive amplifiers. While these are all "ICEpower" amplifiers, the smaller amplifier used a different module with a different ICEpower implementation. SpeakerPower as usual is very responsive and works with us to repair any issues that have come up or will in the future, but the service issues have left me less excited to ship out a bunch of these amplifiers in largely anticipated new designs. Yesterday I finally received the first samples of an updated and more powerful amplifier (~50% more power), and am very happy with the initial testing. These new amplifier modules fit in the same physical amplifier housing as the original Spark but utilize design elements more like the 1000W & 500W amplifiers with the expected polishing of a decade + of shipping a design. I feel confident using these new ICEPower modules and the flexibility they allow. It has also always been in the plan to offer external amplification located in an equipment rack similar to what we offered this year with the external SS2-8000 amplifier which can power 4 SubMersive Slave units from the rack. I am much happier about the idea of investing in metalwork for rack/shelf cases amplifier modules I have confidence in using over a significant period of time.

The need for rack located amplification became even more important after attending CEDIA in September and experiencing various Atmos and Auro 3D setups. Attending multiple panel discussions and stealing some 1-1 time with a few experts confirmed many of my hunches and helped me develop a vision for what sort of solutions would be required to fill out all speaker locations in large room, high performance systems. These systems are simple when every speaker is a cute little 2 way with 6.5" woofer that you can place at every location. Things get more interesting when you start with a system based around Catalyst 12C's as main speakers. While we will have a package similar to the original Spark, we will also have 2 very shallow 2 way designs using our 8" coaxial driver. These shallow packages will protrude only ~6" from the wall or down from the ceiling, and allow for precise aiming. The connection to the external amplification in the equipment rack can be commonly available 4 conductor in-wall speaker wire, with this 4x#12 Belden wire being my favorite example. As the various models start to roll out in the coming months the flexibility planned should become more apparent. We'll have some pictures of some pre-production units before the end of February. Until then the JTR Slanted 8 or S8 and a few other coaxial offerings from Tannoy and Reaction can make for some viable options.
hifiaudio2 and pennynike1 like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #845 of 866 Old 01-09-2015, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
As a quick heads up, I know all too well many Catalyst and SubMersive owners are looking forward to the Spark and related on-wall designs to be released. Among a variety of factors, there have been 2 major hold ups here.

First relates to service issues with too many of the compact Spark amplifiers. These proved to have notably more issues than the Catalyst or 1000W SubMersive amplifiers. While these are all "ICEpower" amplifiers, the smaller amplifier used a different module with a different ICEpower implementation. SpeakerPower as usual is very responsive and works with us to repair any issues that have come up or will in the future, but the service issues have left me less excited to ship out a bunch of these amplifiers in largely anticipated new designs. Yesterday I finally received the first samples of an updated and more powerful amplifier (~50% more power), and am very happy with the initial testing. These new amplifier modules fit in the same physical amplifier housing as the original Spark but utilize design elements more like the 1000W & 500W amplifiers with the expected polishing of a decade + of shipping a design. I feel confident using these new ICEPower modules and the flexibility they allow. It has also always been in the plan to offer external amplification located in an equipment rack similar to what we offered this year with the external SS2-8000 amplifier which can power 4 SubMersive Slave units from the rack. I am much happier about the idea of investing in metalwork for rack/shelf cases amplifier modules I have confidence in using over a significant period of time.

The need for rack located amplification became even more important after attending CEDIA in September and experiencing various Atmos and Auro 3D setups. Attending multiple panel discussions and stealing some 1-1 time with a few experts confirmed many of my hunches and helped me develop a vision for what sort of solutions would be required to fill out all speaker locations in large room, high performance systems. These systems are simple when every speaker is a cute little 2 way with 6.5" woofer that you can place at every location. Things get more interesting when you start with a system based around Catalyst 12C's as main speakers. While we will have a package similar to the original Spark, we will also have 2 very shallow 2 way designs using our 8" coaxial driver. These shallow packages will protrude only ~6" from the wall or down from the ceiling, and allow for precise aiming. The connection to the external amplification in the equipment rack can be commonly available 4 conductor in-wall speaker wire, with this 4x#12 Belden wire being my favorite example. As the various models start to roll out in the coming months the flexibility planned should become more apparent. We'll have some pictures of some pre-production units before the end of February. Until then the JTR Slanted 8 or S8 and a few other coaxial offerings from Tannoy and Reaction can make for some viable options.

Can't wait too see the design and pricing! I will definitely be waiting on the release info of these before making any decisions.

post #846 of 866 Old 01-09-2015, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
Can't wait too see the design and pricing!
+1
post #847 of 866 Old 01-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

'Grats -- you ever get to hear them, or did you just dive in blindly?
post #848 of 866 Old 01-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Listened to them several years ago at a GTG. I remember being impressed but honestly this choice and purchase is about 95% blind!
post #849 of 866 Old 01-10-2015, 12:56 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:

Good Choice, the Cats are fantastic speakers for music and HT. Hope you get many years of enjoyment out of them.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #850 of 866 Old 01-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Cats are home and hooked up, sort of. Have my Emotiva XSP-1 preamp sending full range to the Cats which do not have the full range program in them. Just wanted to hear them a bit and decide what I want to do in this temp setup. Might bring up 2 subs and have it be a 2.2 system. I'm a bit clueless about the settings and if I should use the XSP-1 preamp or use my Onkyo PRSC886. The Onkyo would allow me to use Audyssey but not sure if that would work in a 2.2 setup.
post #851 of 866 Old 01-13-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Cats are home and hooked up, sort of. Have my Emotiva XSP-1 preamp sending full range to the Cats which do not have the full range program in them. Just wanted to hear them a bit and decide what I want to do in this temp setup. Might bring up 2 subs and have it be a 2.2 system. I'm a bit clueless about the settings and if I should use the XSP-1 preamp or use my Onkyo PRSC886. The Onkyo would allow me to use Audyssey but not sure if that would work in a 2.2 setup.
I don't recall if the Onkyo has dual sub outs but if you cross over at 80hz or lower, it will work just fine. Enjoy!!

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
post #852 of 866 Old 01-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Went with the Emotiva because it has dual sub out so I can run them in stereo.

The Emotiva has two small dials for high pass and low pass crossovers. Not exactly where I have them but I'd guess right around 60-70hz and brought up 2 of my CHT 18.1 subs and a Crest CC4000 amp. No Audyssey, no mic just wired up and going by ear and it's incredible!! I had to dial the Cats back a bit because the subs w/Crest amp just can't keep up or dig low enough.

I'm very serious when I say that setting this up in a few hours sounds better than any other system I've had to date. And this is coming from older version Triple 12LF for LCR and 8 18" CHT subs. I can't begin to image what the theater will be like when it's completed.

Only downside is I've been listening to everything extremely loud and it sounds awesome!!!!
Kain, Frohlich and Hudda like this.
post #853 of 866 Old 01-13-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

The Emotiva has two small dials for high pass and low pass crossovers. Not exactly where I have them but I'd guess right around 60-70hz and brought up 2 of my CHT 18.1 subs and a Crest CC4000 amp. No Audyssey, no mic just wired up and going by ear and it's incredible!! I had to dial the Cats back a bit because the subs w/Crest amp just can't keep up or dig low enough.

I'm very serious when I say that setting this up in a few hours sounds better than any other system I've had to date. And this is coming from older version Triple 12LF for LCR and 8 18" CHT subs. I can't begin to image what the theater will be like when it's completed.

Only downside is I've been listening to everything extremely loud and it sounds awesome!!!!
Sounds like your journey is over and you found a terrific speaker that meets all your needs and exceeded your expectation. What more could you ask for.

I know you were a previous JTR owner (I am a current owner) but its all about the journey and finding what works best for each of us. I have considered the Cats a few times for my room and only heard them once...unfortunately it was for a very short listening session and not enough to do a real/full evaluation.

Congrats and enjoy the new toys!!!!
post #854 of 866 Old 01-13-2015, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Mark what is your recommendation for speakers used as "wides" to fill in the hole left from the fronts to the surrounds? Does the angle of the slanted 8 or your next Spark option slant "enough" to be mounted to the side wall and provide correct coverage to the listening area?

My thoughts for my ultimate speaker layout would be something along the lines of this Trinnov image for their Atmos suggestion. I wouldnt use quite this many speakers, but the layout locations and maybe half of the speakers might be possible. My Cat 12's up front and your upcoming Spark / slanted Spark (?) everywhere else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trinnov-Altitude32_preview-soft-3D-placement_july2014.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	476634  
post #855 of 866 Old 01-13-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
Mark what is your recommendation for speakers used as "wides" to fill in the hole left from the fronts to the surrounds? Does the angle of the slanted 8 or your next Spark option slant "enough" to be mounted to the side wall and provide correct coverage to the listening area?

My thoughts for my ultimate speaker layout would be something along the lines of this Trinnov image for their Atmos suggestion. I wouldnt use quite this many speakers, but the layout locations and maybe half of the speakers might be possible. My Cat 12's up front and your upcoming Spark / slanted Spark (?) everywhere else.

I know Mark's already posted about the Reaction Audio CX-8's suggesting that they'd work for anyone not wanting to wait for the new revised Sparks to arrive so I don't think he'll be offended by me suggesting that again.

Also forum member mikela just bought 12 CX-8's to use with his Danley SM60f's after Curt Hoyt from Trinnov took one of the CX-8's and tested it. Curt said that they'd work really nicely.

Here's the thread where Mike talks about it Official Reaction Audio Thread if you scroll down to post 1180 you can see his room layout too.

So that's an option, or you could just wait for the new Sparks to arrive which as usual should be another stellar speaker from Mark.

Dammit I have to stop coming to this thread, every time I do it just makes me sad to realize that I can't afford to buy Cat12's!....lol
I guess I can still daydream about it though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trinnov.png
Views:	346
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	476658  

Last edited by jbrown15; 01-13-2015 at 03:10 PM.
post #856 of 866 Old 01-13-2015, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Just wait until you complete your theater and dial everything in. As fantastic as the Cat 12's are for music, home theater with them is just incredible!
post #857 of 866 Old 01-14-2015, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Might need a little help integrating the 2 subs and the Cats. Only listening to a few CD's and DVD's and the Cats are awesome but the subs stick out like a sore thumb. The Emotiva XSP-1 only has 2 dials for manually adjusting hi and low crossover. Would a mini-dsp help? I am definitely entering a world that I know nothing about....
post #858 of 866 Old 01-14-2015, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Might need a little help integrating the 2 subs and the Cats. Only listening to a few CD's and DVD's and the Cats are awesome but the subs stick out like a sore thumb. The Emotiva XSP-1 only has 2 dials for manually adjusting hi and low crossover. Would a mini-dsp help? I am definitely entering a world that I know nothing about....
Do you have any measuring software like REW or XTZ or OmniMic?

New Theater

post #859 of 866 Old 01-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Do you have any measuring software like REW or XTZ or OmniMic?
I do not, at this point I don't have any of those accessories or software.
post #860 of 866 Old 01-20-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

3 Catalysts and 4 Sparks For Sale

I will be selling my 3 Seaton Catalyst 12C's and my 4 Sparks (and maybe 1 of my SubMersives). For more information please go to FS: Seaton Catalysts and Sparks.

New Theater

post #861 of 866 Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have emailed Seaton to sales@seatonsound.net twice with queries over the last week, but can't get a reply.

Anyone have any other contact details or are they just really bad at replying?

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : Harmony Ultimate |
post #862 of 866 Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
I have emailed Seaton to sales@seatonsound.net twice with queries over the last week, but can't get a reply.

While Mark makes outstanding speakers he is notoriously difficult to contact by email. It's best to call him during business hours. I don't remember if he uses an answering service or not but you will have much better luck during regular business hours than even a few minutes after 5.
AidenL likes this.

Last edited by cmryan821; Yesterday at 01:36 PM.
post #863 of 866 Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Yep.. Call. I have spoken to him on the phone for 30-45 min at a time probably 10 different times in the last two years. Most people use email all the time, but he seems to like phone calls.

Last edited by hifiaudio2; Yesterday at 01:18 PM.
post #864 of 866 Unread Today, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post

If you are interested in 3 used Catalyst 12C's for the price of 8C's, send me a PM. I promise I will respond very quickly.

New Theater

post #865 of 866 Unread Today, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so with these
seaton speakers you don't need amplification to drive them as there are amps built in ?

Love the looks of them

so is Mark still in the chicago area ?

like to hear these
post #866 of 866 Unread Today, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

They are tri-amped actually. 1000 watts to the two 12 inch woofers, 700 to the midrange and 300 to the tweeters - for a total of 2000 watts per speaker. So you drive them directly from your SUrround Processor. And yes, Mark is in Chicago.

New Theater

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page