**The Official Seaton Sound Speaker Thread** - Page 30 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #871 of 890 Old 01-27-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,727
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I have three of the Cat-12's in a slightly smaller room. They are perfect, IMO, for my room size. Heck if Mark made a Cat-15, I would own those. So I would recommend those for that room size.

My three Cat-12'S run off a single 20 amp breaker. Then I have two subs, both with 4000 watt speakerpower amps, each running off their own 20 amp breaker. Might be a bit of overkill, but I wanted to be safe.

Mark does a great job with his speakers!
jbrown15 likes this.
COACH2369 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #872 of 890 Old 01-27-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoggz View Post
I currently own a submersive HP+ with a slave, and I am starting to look at upgrading my speakers. I called yesterday but got Mark's VM, so I left a voicemail. In the meantime, here are some questions that I'm hoping someone can help answer for me. Thanks!


My Room: 23Lx13Wx7H = 300sqft or 2100cuft - Ear height is about 38”

My MLP: 13ft from back wall (rear surrounds) & 10ft from front LCR. = 170sqft or 1180cuft (primary listening space)


Are CAT12s too much for the room?
Do the CATs need stands? How much do Mark’s stands cost?
Do you need 20amp circuit to run LCR 12C/8C?
Should you use a power conditioner or surge protector for these?
Can my current surround speakers be used with them? (Energy Veritas2.0RI – Rated Up to 100 watts)
Are there any financing/payment options available or do u need to have all the cash available at time of purchase?
Are there any other floor standing speakers coming outwithin next year or so? I saw they were mentioned a couple of times but didn't find much information about what they are and/or how they fit into his lineup.
Not sure if you would consider buying previously owned speakers but "Audioguy" (a few posts above yours) is selling his Cat 12s and they have stands. I think he might be around Atlanta. Just thought I would mention it in case it is a good fit.
Frohlich is offline  
post #873 of 890 Old 01-27-2015, 02:43 PM
Senior Member
 
zdoggz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Not sure if you would consider buying previously owned speakers but "Audioguy" (a few posts above yours) is selling his Cat 12s and they have stands. I think he might be around Atlanta. Just thought I would mention it in case it is a good fit.
I have purchased previously owned speakers before, so im not opposed to it for the right amount of savings. But I am not ready to pull the trigger yet as I just started thinking about making the move, so I am sure it will take me some time before making such a big move (if I decide to do it at all). But thanks for the info! I actually was looking at his ad the other day and have read many of his raving reviews on various forums that i found dating back to when he originally purchased them in 2010. haha
zdoggz is offline  
post #874 of 890 Old 01-27-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hifiaudio2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,742
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 77
FYI used Catalysts don't come around all that often, so if you are anywhere near Atlanta I would give those serious consideration if you think you may take the plunge within the coming year. Audioguy is a fixture in the Seaton forums and around here so you won't come across a more trustworthy seller.
hifiaudio2 is offline  
post #875 of 890 Old 01-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Senior Member
 
zdoggz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I have three of the Cat-12's in a slightly smaller room. They are perfect, IMO, for my room size. Heck if Mark made a Cat-15, I would own those. So I would recommend those for that room size.

My three Cat-12'S run off a single 20 amp breaker. Then I have two subs, both with 4000 watt speakerpower amps, each running off their own 20 amp breaker. Might be a bit of overkill, but I wanted to be safe.

Mark does a great job with his speakers!

Awesome! Thanks for your recommendation. I am glad to hear you have a similar room. I really enjoy my subs, so i'm sure the Cats complement them well.

Do you have surrounds? If so, did you feel the need to upgrade them when you got your Cat12s? This is all stuff I'd need to consider as potential cost if I would need to upgrade those as well.
zdoggz is offline  
post #876 of 890 Old 01-27-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hifiaudio2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,742
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I have these Triads to go along with my Catalyst 12 fronts:

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icb8lcr.html


They keep up just fine. I have them mounted in my soffits. They are not SPL champs, but don't need to be for surround duty.
hifiaudio2 is offline  
post #877 of 890 Old 01-27-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,727
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Not sure if you would consider buying previously owned speakers but "Audioguy" (a few posts above yours) is selling his Cat 12s and they have stands. I think he might be around Atlanta. Just thought I would mention it in case it is a good fit.
I have seen and heard these in person. JUMP on these if you can. He takes care of his equipment and those are a deal! Used Cats don't come along very often at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoggz View Post
Awesome! Thanks for your recommendation. I am glad to hear you have a similar room. I really enjoy my subs, so i'm sure the Cats complement them well.

Do you have surrounds? If so, did you feel the need to upgrade them when you got your Cat12s? This is all stuff I'd need to consider as potential cost if I would need to upgrade those as well.
I kept my JBL 8340A's I had with my JTR speakers. Just had them calibrated using my Denon 4520 as the power source. They do a great job, IMO. Plenty of good options out there for surrounds depending on your budget.
COACH2369 is online now  
post #878 of 890 Old 01-27-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Mark has new products on the horizon but I don't think I've ever seen any rumored tower speakers from him, but that would be pretty cool!
I asked Mark about the tower speakers (8ST) last March and he told he thought June-July release was quite possible. Considering his very first post about them was back in 2012 I just don't see it ever happening. It just doesn't seem like towers are something he has the time (or maybe interest) to do.
cmryan821 is online now  
post #879 of 890 Old 01-27-2015, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
drunkonjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: not an expert
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
id love to see these in my HT . My HT is 11' X21' in a dedicated sealed room.

I have not gone throught this entire thread but some pictures of these badass speakers in there set up would be nice to see.
drunkonjack is offline  
post #880 of 890 Old 01-27-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,435
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I have seen and heard these in person. JUMP on these if you can. He takes care of his equipment and those are a deal! Used Cats don't come along very often at all.
I've also heard audioguy's Cat's in his room. His all-Seaton system is one of my all-time top favorite systems. It's just FUN!!! Toe-tappin'... head-bobbin'... kick-a$$in' FUN!

I can also vouch for Chuck as a real human being. I've been to his house; he's been to mine. He's as honest a person as you will ever find. I'm sure someone will get one hell of a deal on these speakers.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #881 of 890 Old 01-27-2015, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,699
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Mark makes them I'm just not sure about the pricing. I'm guessing it's not cheap though looking at how nice they are and a perfect match for the speakers. If I had to guess I'd say at the very minimum $250ea, but wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to $500ea.
I bought two of the matching stands and I believe they are $400 each - and they do match the 12C's perfectly. The top comes off so they can be filled with sand (mine have 100 lbs in each one).

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
audioguy is online now  
post #882 of 890 Old 01-27-2015, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 7,108
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I bought two of the matching stands and I believe they are $400 each - and they do match the 12C's perfectly. The top comes off so they can be filled with sand (mine have 100 lbs in each one).
Great to know, I figured it was up around that. I figured it was around $400-$500ea, For the record I really wish I had the money right now to buy your speakers!...LOL
jbrown15 is offline  
post #883 of 890 Old 01-28-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 1,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 17
There are some floor-standing speakers in the pipeline: CAT-8ST.

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...design-6250174
Kain is offline  
post #884 of 890 Old 01-28-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
There are some floor-standing speakers in the pipeline: CAT-8ST.

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...design-6250174
You'll notice the date of Mark's post in that thread is March 2013, and there are no additional updates. I'd love for the 8ST design to be realized, but if it hasn't happened in 2 years I just don't see it ever happening. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
cmryan821 is online now  
post #885 of 890 Old 01-28-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,699
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
You'll notice the date of Mark's post in that thread is March 2013, and there are no additional updates. I'd love for the 8ST design to be realized, but if it hasn't happened in 2 years I just don't see it ever happening. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
While this is not the first Seaton product that has not shipped within a reasonable time frame of when Mark first mentions it, I am pretty comfortable saying that it will EVENTUALLY be released.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
audioguy is online now  
post #886 of 890 Old 01-28-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
While this is not the first Seaton product that has not shipped within a reasonable time frame of when Mark first mentions it, I am pretty comfortable saying that it will EVENTUALLY be released.
I really hope you're correct.
cmryan821 is online now  
post #887 of 890 Old 01-28-2015, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Peter M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,364
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I will be selling my 3 Seaton Catalyst 12C's and my 4 Sparks (and maybe 1 of my SubMersives). For more information please go to FS: Seaton Catalysts and Sparks.
Chuck,

What the !@#$ are you doing !!!

I vividly remember hearing them in your old room during CEDIA back in '09 (or was it '10). I can't believe you're getting rid of them !

You must be planning something amazing to replace them ... I just really, really hope you don't regret it.

Cheers,
Peter M is offline  
post #888 of 890 Old 01-29-2015, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,699
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Chuck,

What the !@#$ are you doing !!!

I vividly remember hearing them in your old room during CEDIA back in '09 (or was it '10). I can't believe you're getting rid of them !

You must be planning something amazing to replace them ... I just really, really hope you don't regret it.

Cheers,
From my post on the thread where I am selling:

Quote:
Why am I selling: As my wife will tell you, it has been an excruciating decision. But I was presented an opportunity to purchase some speakers by Triad for a once-in-a-lifetime price so the OCD audiophile in me wanted to give it a go.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
audioguy is online now  
post #889 of 890 Unread Today, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 1,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
You'll notice the date of Mark's post in that thread is March 2013, and there are no additional updates. I'd love for the 8ST design to be realized, but if it hasn't happened in 2 years I just don't see it ever happening. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
While this is not the first Seaton product that has not shipped within a reasonable time frame of when Mark first mentions it, I am pretty comfortable saying that it will EVENTUALLY be released.
Mark mentioned them again 4-5 months back in one of my threads.

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...lifier-7070070
Kain is offline  
post #890 of 890 Unread Today, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Mark mentioned them again 4-5 months back in one of my threads.

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...lifier-7070070
I'll say it again, I'd love for the 8ST to be realized, but I am VERY skeptical that it will be. Perhaps years from now, but certainly not in any reasonable time period.
cmryan821 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off