**The Official Seaton Sound Speaker Thread** - Page 31 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #901 of 932 Old 02-04-2015, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anyone have experience on how the cats compare to the legacy focus se? I pm'ed SeaNile awhile ago but never got a response from him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 932 Old 02-04-2015, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
@mhrischuk has some experience with Cat 12's and Legacy Focus (not sure which model)
post #903 of 932 Old 02-05-2015, 09:17 AM

Thank you. I may PM him and see if he can provide any input. It is so tough to go solely on what you read on forums and other review sites w/o being able to audition them in your own setup. These speakers are still quite pricey even though they are both believed to be great values within the audio community from what I've read, but I'm afraid it's going to be a struggle for me to get the guts and pull the trigger on anything.
post #904 of 932 Old 02-07-2015, 12:31 PM

Well i heard back from him and he wasnt a big fan of the cats. He said their amps are highly sensitive and give off pretty loud hums/hisses. He also said the highs can be pretty harsh when playing at higher volumes.

I know his room wasn't all that well treated at the time so that likely had a good bit to do with the harshness he may have experienced.

Any others have such issues?

I have a few gik bass traps, carpeting, and soft fabric couches, but thats about it as far as treatments go.

Last edited by zdoggz; 02-07-2015 at 03:52 PM.
post #905 of 932 Old 02-07-2015, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoggz View Post
Well i heard back from him and he wasnt a big fan of the cats. He said their amps are highly sensitive and give off pretty loud hums/hisses. He also said the highs can be pretty harsh when playing at higher volumes.

I know his room wasn't all that well treated at the time so that likely had a good bit to do with the harshness he may have experienced.

I have a few gik bass traps, carpeting, and soft fabric couches, but thats about it as far as treatments go.
You can't go by someone else's opinion when it comes to just about anything audio. The most perfectly designed piece of audio equipment, whether it be a preprocessor or speakers, will be disliked by a disturbingly large percentage of people. It is simply very difficult to predict what happens at and between the ears of a listener.

You have to listen for yourself. You may find the Cats to be the smoothest speaker you've ever heard. Most Cat owners that I've talked to are extremely happy with their speakers.
wlelandj, jbrown15 and Reefdvr27 like this.
post #906 of 932 Old 02-07-2015, 04:33 PM

Yep. Totally agree. Just sharing the feedback.

Last edited by zdoggz; 02-07-2015 at 04:34 PM.
post #907 of 932 Old 02-08-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Here is one review stating the Catalyst speakers are not bright/clear enough.

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...7368?&trail=20

As stated previously, most owners are extremely happy with the speakers.
post #908 of 932 Old 02-08-2015, 01:40 PM

Yeah, it appears that "TheLion's" initial impressions were before the speakers were broken in as he became much more supportive of them as the thread discussion continued. I have a lot of faith and respect for Mark himself, and that goes a long way in my decision to go with Cats for my next LCR. Although it can be difficult to get a quick email response, he is usually reachable via phone, and his knowledge and support of his products is top notch. I can see myself supporting Mark and Seaton Sound for the next 50+ years.
mcallister likes this.

Last edited by zdoggz; 02-09-2015 at 11:49 AM.
post #909 of 932 Old 02-09-2015, 11:34 AM

Just placed an order for 3 Catalyst 8Cs (red cherry). I spoke with Mark about 8Cs vs 12Cs , and he assured me that there would be "little difference" in my room (2000 cu ft) with my 2 submersives crossed over around 80hz. I could have JUST FIT 12Cs as my L&R (8C as center), but it would have been very tight and overtake the room. I'm looking forward to getting them and will let you know my impressions! I will be moving from Energy Veritas v2.4i speakers, which i love for music. In fact, I plan on keeping the veritas speakers unless the Cats really blow them away with music too. Even if they do though, ill probably keep them until i find somewhere else for them down the road (once I have a bigger place).
Kain likes this.

Last edited by zdoggz; 02-09-2015 at 02:32 PM.
post #910 of 932 Old 02-09-2015, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Just placed an order for 3 Catalyst 8Cs (red cherry). I spoke with Mark about 8Cs vs 12Cs , and he assured me that there would be "little difference" in my room (2000 cu ft) with my 2 subversives crossed over around 80hz. I could have JUST FIT 12Cs as my L&R (8C as center), but it would have been very tight and overtake the room. I'm looking forward to getting them and will let you know my impressions! I will be moving from Energy Veritas v2.4i speakers, which i love for music. In fact, I plan on keeping the veritas speakers unless the Cats really blow them away with music too. Even if they do though, ill probably keep them until i find somewhere else for them down the road (once I have a bigger place).
I think you will be VERY pleased. I have 3 Cat 8C's (L/C/R), with just 1 Submersive HP (and some smaller surrounds) in a room just a bit larger than yours. I have also heard the Cat 12's several times in other person's home, and don't think they would have added much to my situation. This will be my last set of speakers!
RMK! likes this.
post #911 of 932 Old 02-09-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Just placed an order for 3 Catalyst 8Cs (red cherry). I spoke with Mark about 8Cs vs 12Cs , and he assured me that there would be "little difference" in my room (2000 cu ft) with my 2 subversives crossed over around 80hz.
That probably true. But if you ever move to a larger space, the differences will become more significant. You will enjoy the heck out of your new speakers. In this room and the next.

Congrats

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
post #912 of 932 Old 02-09-2015, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just placed an order for 3 Catalyst 8Cs (red cherry).

Man, I'm jealous as hell. Congrats.
post #913 of 932 Old 02-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You will love them!!!
post #914 of 932 Old 02-10-2015, 09:05 AM

All these positive posts are only getting me more anxious! I am considering getting Mark's black maple stands with them as I think that could look pretty nice with the red cherry cabinets. He is going to put the drivers in today and set one of them on a black maple stand and take a pic so I can decide if I like how it looks.
post #915 of 932 Old 02-10-2015, 04:01 PM

Liked: 11
Here is the size difference between the Cat 8c and Cat 12c. You made the right choice for your room size. Sound anchor makes a real nice center channel stand fully adjustable that's what use for my Cat12 center channel under Tv.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB180013.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	538281   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC100024.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	538305  
zdoggz likes this.
post #916 of 932 Old 02-10-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Here is one review stating the Catalyst speakers are not bright/clear enough.

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...7368?&trail=20

As stated previously, most owners are extremely happy with the speakers.
That review was five years ago! I am sure that some changes have went into the Cats since then. Not to mention the guy was comparing them to a pair of very good speakers. I have heard them a few times now and I like them. I felt they were a little bit more laid back than my JTR's but for the most part, they were plenty clear enough. They won most dynamic at RMAF. I believe there was some DSP help with Dirac, but again, they took home most dynamic. I found that hard to believe, but I cannot argue it. As Gooddoc said, you really cannot use other people reviews and me and Mark know that pretty well

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 02-10-2015 at 04:36 PM.
post #917 of 932 Old 02-12-2015, 01:02 PM

I haven't received the pics of red cherry 8Cs paired with black maple stands yet. Im hoping to hear back from Mark soon. I emailed him on tues and left him a vm today. To be continued...
post #918 of 932 Old 02-12-2015, 05:43 PM

Well I got a pic back with the red cherry paired with the black maple stand. I'm glad I asked him because I wasn't really a fan of it as it didn't quite look right when put up against the red cherry finish. Mark and I actually discussed some other ideas for a stand that would work better for me, so he will look into that more, and I will be following up with him next Wednesday or so.

The 8Cs will be shipped out on Monday, so at least I'll have them soon while we work out the details of the stands.

Here's the pic of the red cherry 8c on the maple stand (w/o the base plate).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	542097  

Last edited by zdoggz; 02-12-2015 at 05:47 PM.
post #919 of 932 Old 02-12-2015, 08:52 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Well I got a pic back with the red cherry paired with the black maple stand. I'm glad I asked him because I wasn't really a fan of it as it didn't quite look right when put up against the red cherry finish. Mark and I actually discussed some other ideas for a stand that would work better for me, so he will look into that more, and I will be following up with him next Wednesday or so.

The 8Cs will be shipped out on Monday, so at least I'll have them soon while we work out the details of the stands.

Here's the pic of the red cherry 8c on the maple stand (w/o the base plate).
Not too bad actually. Interesting look...
post #920 of 932 Old 02-13-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma100 View Post
Not too bad actually. Interesting look...
Im trying to visualize it with the base plate. The more I look at it the more I like it, but Mark did say that it looks a bit off in person due to the different finishes. I'm guessing because of the flatter base look of the maple against the shinier wood grain of the red cherry... at 295ea for those, I think im still going to trust Mark and see what we can come up with...

hmmm..now I wonder what it'd look like with the black stand but with a red cherry base plate? Do I sound crazy or could that possibly look pretty nice?

Last edited by zdoggz; 02-13-2015 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added comment on cherry base plate
post #921 of 932 Old 02-16-2015, 09:10 AM

Not much activity going on in this thread...any other threads that have more active discussion about the catalysts or has it all pretty much died down?
post #922 of 932 Old 02-16-2015, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Not much activity going on in this thread...any other threads that have more active discussion about the catalysts or has it all pretty much died down?
Generally not much activity here but you should also try the Seaton forums. They are a little more active regarding Seaton products.
post #923 of 932 Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I have heard the Danleys and been to their place. One of the demos they did was to hang an outdoor speaker up about 100 feet off the ground suspended from a crain. Walk a LONG way away and every note and word was perfectly coherent. Absolutely incredible.

He's a smart guy. His main business is commercial: stadiums, houses of worship, etc. He provides basically the same products or derivativies to the home market. He doesn't depend on us anal, OCD audio types to feed his family !!
There are plenty of anal and OCD types in the pro audio world, trust me.

There are also plenty of Danley products installed in some very high end home theater installs around the world-from royalty to hollywood and beyond.

Best regards,

John
post #924 of 932 Old Today, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Guys, are there any catalyst owners that live in the Gulf Coast area that would be willing to audition their setup? I live near New Orleans but I don't mind driving a little distance.
post #925 of 932 Old Today, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I am in Nashville if that helps any. As an aside, it it *possible* that I may be selling my house soon and would be wanting to sell my Catalysts and F2 submersives since I would not be in a scenario to use them for quite a while. Not a definite, though, yet.
post #926 of 932 Old Today, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
Guys, are there any catalyst owners that live in the Gulf Coast area that would be willing to audition their setup? I live near New Orleans but I don't mind driving a little distance.
I'm in Atlanta but mine are boxed up for sale (in case u r interested)

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
post #927 of 932 Old Today, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I am in Knoxville and have them as well, but not selling mine like the other guys.

Both guy's theaters are amazing, you can't go wrong hitting either or both. Mine is weak compared to what they have.
post #928 of 932 Old Today, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
I am in Nashville if that helps any. As an aside, it it *possible* that I may be selling my house soon and would be wanting to sell my Catalysts and F2 submersives since I would not be in a scenario to use them for quite a while. Not a definite, though, yet.
How do your Traid sound with the cats12?
post #929 of 932 Old Today, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Great! They keep up just fine and disappear and blend quite well.
post #930 of 932 Old Today, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
Great! They keep up just fine and disappear and blend quite well.
I am considering a change in my surrounds at some point.

Which Triads did you go with again?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement