**The Official Seaton Sound Speaker Thread** - Page 33 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #961 of 1019 Old 04-07-2015, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I'm sure he's around, I received a pm from him yesterday. I would probably just try giving him a call again tomorrow.
Thanks for that.

I might also try a PM.

Cheers

JTR NOESIS 212-LP | JTR CAP S2 + 4 x Dayton RSS460HO | 4 x JBL 8320
Yamaha RX-A3040 | Oppo 93| 2 x Behringer inuke 6000DSP | Behringer FBQ
EPSON TW3500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1019 Old 04-07-2015, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by superaaaaa View Post
Thanks for that.

I might also try a PM.

Cheers
Wait so you have Cat 12's and JTR 212HT-LP's?
post #963 of 1019 Old 04-08-2015, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Wait so you have Cat 12's and JTR 212HT-LP's?
Na recently sold JTRs (2 weeks back) and purchased Cat 12s.

I was tempted to keep the JTRs and get a fourth for surrounds. But room is too small to accommodate all. Plus, I was able to sell them at a pretty reasonable price.

I guess I should update my signature hey

JTR NOESIS 212-LP | JTR CAP S2 + 4 x Dayton RSS460HO | 4 x JBL 8320
Yamaha RX-A3040 | Oppo 93| 2 x Behringer inuke 6000DSP | Behringer FBQ
EPSON TW3500
post #964 of 1019 Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 28
These have been returned to Mark and are no longer available for sale.

PS: 3 New Red Cherry Seaton Catalyst 8Cs

Last edited by zdoggz; 04-18-2015 at 10:01 AM. Reason: These are no longer available for sale
post #965 of 1019 Old 04-15-2015, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mark just posted pictures of the new prototype Spark on FaceBook. Looks very nice.

Here's a quick peek at the raw test sample of our new Spark HC loudspeaker which will be used for the 4 surround channels at the upcoming Axpona Audio Expo North America April 24th-26th. This very shallow, sealed, 2-way active speaker uses a new, customized neodymium magnet, 8" coaxial which enables the small package and wider high frequency dispersion needed for surround channels, but works very well as main speakers as well (with subwoofer of course). The overall dimensions are 11.5" wide, 17" tall, and 5.5" deep (+magnetic grill).
post #966 of 1019 Old 04-15-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by kma100 View Post
Mark just posted pictures of the new prototype Spark on FaceBook. Looks very nice.

Here's a quick peek at the raw test sample of our new Spark HC loudspeaker which will be used for the 4 surround channels at the upcoming Axpona Audio Expo North America April 24th-26th. This very shallow, sealed, 2-way active speaker uses a new, customized neodymium magnet, 8" coaxial which enables the small package and wider high frequency dispersion needed for surround channels, but works very well as main speakers as well (with subwoofer of course). The overall dimensions are 11.5" wide, 17" tall, and 5.5" deep (+magnetic grill).
I'm afraid to ask how much it costs....lol

It looks really cool though.
post #967 of 1019 Old 04-15-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid to ask how much it costs....lol

It looks really cool though.
It does! The old Spark looks like a dinosaur.
post #968 of 1019 Old 04-16-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:

It is very nice to hear the positive first impressions. Thank you.

Today I posted the fb pictures to our forum for all to see more easily. We'll have pictures of the finished units next week prior to the start of AXPONA 2015 where 4 units will be pulling surround duty.
Modicen likes this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham

Last edited by Mark Seaton; 04-16-2015 at 01:13 PM.
post #969 of 1019 Old 04-16-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
It is very nice to hear the positive first impressions. Thank you.

Today I posted the fb pictures to our forum for all to see more easily. We'll have pictures of the finished units next week prior to the start of AXPONA 2015 where 4 units will be pulling surround duty.
I guess it's frowned upon for you to post a link to your own forum. But there's nothing stopping me: http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...totype-7373912.

Congratulations on the arrival of your new baby Mark! That is one very clever, versatile speaker.

So, not a self-powered speaker like the original Spark, but still active with DSP crossover/response shaping integral with the rack mounted hardware?
post #970 of 1019 Old 04-16-2015, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
I guess it's frowned upon for you to post a link to your own forum. But there's nothing stopping me: http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...totype-7373912.

Congratulations on the arrival of your new baby Mark! That is one very clever, versatile speaker.

So, not a self-powered speaker like the original Spark, but still active with DSP crossover/response shaping integral with the rack mounted hardware?
Thank you. I decided to do some further polishing to the Spark's cabinet profile after attending CEDIA this past September with the introduction and demonstrations of the various 3D audio formats. The shallow depth makes for a tight fit which requires lots of planning and specific alignment of parts to allow such a slim profile around the driver. The realities faced when mounting and aiming surround and height channels with the various new formats warranted something much more flexible than a box that just mounted flat to a wall, and this fit the bill while looking rather attractive to boot.

These are not internally amplified like the original Spark or Catalysts, but are still a fully active 2 way speaker with dedicated, external amplifier and the same DSP executed crossover as used in our Catalyst models and original Spark. The latest 300W ICEpower modules we use are also a nice improvement over the previous generation module delivering significantly more power to the new coaxial while improving a few other worthwhile metrics.
GIEGAR likes this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham

Last edited by Mark Seaton; 04-16-2015 at 05:47 PM.
post #971 of 1019 Old 04-16-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Thank you. I decided to do some further polishing to the Spark's cabinet profile after attending CEDIA this past September with the introduction and demonstrations of the various 3D audio formats. The shallow depth makes for a tight fit which requires lots of planning and specific alignment of parts to allow such a slim profile around the driver. The realities faced when mounting and aiming surround and height channels with the various new formats warranted something much more flexible than a box that just mounted flat to a wall, and this fit the bill while looking rather attractive to boot.

These are not internally amplified like the original Spark or Catalysts, but are still a fully active 2 way speaker with dedicated, external amplifier and the same DSP executed crossover as used in our Catalyst models and original Spark. The latest 300W ICEpower modules we use are also a nice improvement over the previous generation module delivering significantly more power to the new coaxial while improving a few other worthwhile metrics.
Wow! Nice Mark! Definite contenders for my upcoming surround purchase. What would you estimate is their usable dispersion pattern for seating coverage?
post #972 of 1019 Old 04-16-2015, 06:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Wow! Nice Mark! Definite contenders for my upcoming surround purchase. What would you estimate is their usable dispersion pattern for seating coverage?
I agree... these look like real contenders in this space. For 3D audio, I can see them being close to ideal... assuming of course that they have the broad dispersion characteristics we expect. I'm sure there will be a lot of details and specifications forthcoming on the new Seaton Sound website.

Craig
Gooddoc likes this.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #973 of 1019 Old 04-16-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
A 90 degree cone is a good estimate that correlates with our measurements and observations. Measurements by the OEM of other parts with the same internal shape correlate as well. Listening to dialog the window is even wider with very minor softening of the top end at the edges, and a little narrower above 10-16kHz. It's important to remember that one of the reasons such wide dispersion is recommended came from the expectation that ceiling speakers would be flat on an 8' ceiling and not be amiable. You simply need to deliver the frequency range to all the seats. Staying tight to a ceiling or wall while aiming the surround and heights makes this much easier than with a big, bulky speaker, as moving the cone of sound further from you means you cover more area.

Unless listener dimensions are rather large to all listeners, when possible I'll aim the surrounds such that the near listener is closer to the edge of the pattern so the closest (side) listeners don't get blasted by the closest speaker and they are more on axis to the further speaker, better reducing the variation from the middle of the room..

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #974 of 1019 Old 04-17-2015, 02:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4122 Post(s)
Liked: 3096
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
I agree... these look like real contenders in this space. For 3D audio, I can see them being close to ideal... assuming of course that they have the broad dispersion characteristics we expect. I'm sure there will be a lot of details and specifications forthcoming on the new Seaton Sound website.

Craig
And the option U bracket is a brilliant idea too - makes for very easy mounting and positioning.
post #975 of 1019 Old 04-17-2015, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
A 90 degree cone is a good estimate that correlates with our measurements and observations. Measurements by the OEM of other parts with the same internal shape correlate as well. Listening to dialog the window is even wider with very minor softening of the top end at the edges, and a little narrower above 10-16kHz.
Thanks Mark!
post #976 of 1019 Old 04-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:

Hi Mark,

Great looking speaker and congrats on the newborn.

Do you have any pics of the amp? I assume a small form factor as with 3D audio, I could see 8 or more being needed for a 7.1.4 Atmos system.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #977 of 1019 Old 04-17-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Hi Mark,

Great looking speaker and congrats on the newborn.

Do you have any pics of the amp? I assume a small form factor as with 3D audio, I could see 8 or more being needed for a 7.1.4 Atmos system.
Thank you Robert. Phase one here was to shrink the speaker's footprint, while adding more power and headroom with the new 2x300W ICEpower amplifiers. Since we replace amplifiers which would normally be in the rack, I didn't let this slow up the process. We currently have 2 speakers worth of power (4x300W & DSP) in our 2RU amplifier case we already use for the SS-8000 amplifier which houses 2 of our 4000W SubMersive HP/F2 + amplifiers. Within the next year we should be able to double that density, but that will have to wait until some new DSP hardware and metalwork has been finalized. Fortunately the external amplification allows us to continue to develop even more options without changing the speaker.

Here is a look at the same amplifier case we will use for the dual Spark amplifier:

RMK! and Tom Vodhanel like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #978 of 1019 Old 04-17-2015, 04:04 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Thank you Robert. Phase one here was to shrink the speaker's footprint, while adding more power and headroom with the new 2x300W ICEpower amplifiers. Since we replace amplifiers which would normally be in the rack, I didn't let this slow up the process. We currently have 2 speakers worth of power (4x300W & DSP) in our 2RU amplifier case we already use for the SS-8000 amplifier which houses 2 of our 4000W SubMersive HP/F2 + amplifiers. Within the next year we should be able to double that density, but that will have to wait until some new DSP hardware and metalwork has been finalized. Fortunately the external amplification allows us to continue to develop even more options without changing the speaker.

Here is a look at the same amplifier case we will use for the dual Spark amplifier:

Very nice Mark, so XLR in and Speakon out to the Sparks?

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #979 of 1019 Old 04-17-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Very nice Mark, so XLR in and Speakon out to the Sparks?
Thank you.

Being a 2 way speaker that will be used very often for surround and height channels, I chose to use 2 pair of binding posts, which save customers and installers from having to terminate SpeakON cables on a wall or ceiling after pulling wires, and saves a lot of depth on the mounting of the speaker. The amplifier does have XLR inputs like all of our products and we currently have a pair of NL4 SpeakONs for the outputs. Since gear in racks do sometimes get moved, SpeakONs make it very easy to terminate correctly once and disconnect/reconnect quickly any time needed. This also makes it easy for us to supply an optional cable that already has the SpeakON terminated so long as it can be pulled/routed from the amp to the speaker location. Being only a 2 way speaker means there are many 4 conductor wire choices ranging from common in wall speaker wire to thick-jacketed pro-audio cable.
Gooddoc and RMK! like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #980 of 1019 Old 04-18-2015, 05:07 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Mark - will pricing be announced at Axpona? Also, do the rack mounts come off the amp? I know with some power amps the rack mounts are permanent, e.g., my old QSC amp.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Last edited by pbc; 04-18-2015 at 05:12 AM.
post #981 of 1019 Old 04-18-2015, 05:48 AM

So here is a naive question - what is one giving up with a "shallow" speaker? I know Mark will work his magic and the speaker will sound amazing. I just thought that one needed some volume in the cabinet for a speaker to sound it's best.

Is the trade off less bass (which is not an issue for this speaker since it will be paired with subs)?
post #982 of 1019 Old 04-18-2015, 08:56 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Thank you.

Being a 2 way speaker that will be used very often for surround and height channels, I chose to use 2 pair of binding posts, which save customers and installers from having to terminate SpeakON cables on a wall or ceiling after pulling wires, and saves a lot of depth on the mounting of the speaker. The amplifier does have XLR inputs like all of our products and we currently have a pair of NL4 SpeakONs for the outputs. Since gear in racks do sometimes get moved, SpeakONs make it very easy to terminate correctly once and disconnect/reconnect quickly any time needed. This also makes it easy for us to supply an optional cable that already has the SpeakON terminated so long as it can be pulled/routed from the amp to the speaker location. Being only a 2 way speaker means there are many 4 conductor wire choices ranging from common in wall speaker wire to thick-jacketed pro-audio cable.
Thank you Mark,
Again, I think these will be fantastic (cool looking, great sounding) surround sound and ceiling mount speakers for 3D audio. The speakon connectors are a little tricky to wire up (at the amp end) and care would need to be taken at the speaker end to ensure the right connectors go to the intended driver. I have trouble getting the 2 conductor Speakon's right as the ID numbers on the speakon connectors are nearly illegible (to my old eyes ).

There are a couple of decent youtube videos on speakon wiring but AFAIR they are 2 conductor. You might want to prepare a speaker cable wiring instruction sheet to help out hapless folks like me ...

BTW, Jeff said you were going to have an amazing setup at AXPONA. I would love to be able to hear that and strongly suggest anyone in the market for HT Audio check it out.
Gooddoc likes this.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #983 of 1019 Old 04-18-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
So here is a naive question - what is one giving up with a "shallow" speaker? I know Mark will work his magic and the speaker will sound amazing. I just thought that one needed some volume in the cabinet for a speaker to sound it's best.

Is the trade off less bass (which is not an issue for this speaker since it will be paired with subs)?
Not necessarily (or as much as you might think.)

This is one of several benefits of an active speaker: Better Bass due to the designer having the ability to apply variable voltage drive to the woofer.

Here's a white paper by Jim Rush that explains it pretty well: The Case for Active Speakers (.pdf)
post #984 of 1019 Old 04-18-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Being a 2 way speaker that will be used very often for surround and height channels, I chose to use 2 pair of binding posts, which save customers and installers from having to terminate SpeakON cables on a wall or ceiling after pulling wires, and saves a lot of depth on the mounting of the speaker.
I don't have a better low profile solution off the top of my head, but isn't 2 pairs of binding posts a recipe for blown tweeters when people connect the tweeter to the woofer amp?
post #985 of 1019 Old 04-19-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I don't have a better low profile solution off the top of my head, but isn't 2 pairs of binding posts a recipe for blown tweeters when people connect the tweeter to the woofer amp?
Just taking a wild guess here, but wouldn't the crossover/DSP prevent it from "blowing-up"?
post #986 of 1019 Old 04-19-2015, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys, sorry to post this in the speaker thread but maybe you guys or Mark himself can help me out. The amp on my master slave set up, the red protection light flashes 4 times slow followed by 5 rapid flashes. I disconnected everything and the power cord,I plug just the power cord back in I and still get the same thing. Any ideas? Is it cooked?
post #987 of 1019 Old 04-19-2015, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 2052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modicen View Post
Hi guys, sorry to post this in the speaker thread but maybe you guys or Mark himself can help me out. The amp on my master slave set up, the red protection light flashes 4 times slow followed by 5 rapid flashes. I disconnected everything and the power cord,I plug just the power cord back in I and still get the same thing. Any ideas? Is it cooked?

I believe the 4 flashes indicate an internal fault. Best contact Mark. Also, he may take an extra day/2 to reply as he is at Axpona. I'm sure he'll have you up/booming again in no time.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #988 of 1019 Old 04-19-2015, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Just taking a wild guess here, but wouldn't the crossover/DSP prevent it from "blowing-up"?
The crossover/DSP that's at the other end of the cable and doesn't know you've miswired it? No, it wouldn't.
post #989 of 1019 Old 04-19-2015, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
There's more concern about making sure amplifiers are protected from crossing the 2 channels vs woofer/tweeter swap. I've always had a LF/DC protection and noise shaping filter on the tweeters, so even if the woofer signal is sent to the tweeter, you would have to turn it way up before you could do any damage, and it would be pretty obvious when running setup that it was wired incorrectly. This is an issue with any active speaker, and even with SpeakON's is possible to wire things incorrectly when doing field termination after pulling wires. That's why everyone needs to test their system to insure sounds are going where they are supposed to before they let it rip. I agree though that a clear pictorial will be important. I also think there are plenty of customers and installers who will manage to get the wiring sorted without breaking anything and appreciate the space, time and cost savings of standard wiring.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #990 of 1019 Old 04-19-2015, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for replying Tom, I emailed Mark earlier and he replied already. Great service from Mark Seaton on my issue. My amp is bad and he is going to send me return packing material to send the amp in and get me going again asap. Awesome service, thanks Mark.

Mario
kbarnes701 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page