**The Official Seaton Sound Speaker Thread** - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 115Likes

post #991 of 1056 Old 04-20-2015, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
There's more concern about making sure amplifiers are protected from crossing the 2 channels vs woofer/tweeter swap. I've always had a LF/DC protection and noise shaping filter on the tweeters, so even if the woofer signal is sent to the tweeter, you would have to turn it way up before you could do any damage, and it would be pretty obvious when running setup that it was wired incorrectly. This is an issue with any active speaker, and even with SpeakON's is possible to wire things incorrectly when doing field termination after pulling wires. That's why everyone needs to test their system to insure sounds are going where they are supposed to before they let it rip. I agree though that a clear pictorial will be important. I also think there are plenty of customers and installers who will manage to get the wiring sorted without breaking anything and appreciate the space, time and cost savings of standard wiring.
I didn't realize you still had some passive components on the tweeter. That would definitely take care of that problem.

Now I just need to work on rewiring my room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1056 Old 04-20-2015, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
The speakon connectors are a little tricky to wire up (at the amp end) and care would need to be taken at the speaker end to ensure the right connectors go to the intended driver. I have trouble getting the 2 conductor Speakon's right as the ID numbers on the speakon connectors are nearly illegible (to my old eyes ).

There are a couple of decent youtube videos on speakon wiring but AFAIR they are 2 conductor. You might want to prepare a speaker cable wiring instruction sheet to help out hapless folks like me ...
This is the exact same setup as my M2's Rob, and if a guy with my retarded mechanical aptitude can do it anyone can .

Now as to the geriatric vision....well, that's a whole 'nother topic
Frohlich and RMK! like this.
post #993 of 1056 Old 04-20-2015, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
This is the exact same setup as my M2's Rob, and if a guy with my retarded mechanical aptitude can do it anyone can .

I find one of these is very helpful for reading minuscule type on things like Speakon connectors. The 40x magnification is great, and the bright LED really helps too.
post #994 of 1056 Old 04-20-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:

I would have a similar reply. My previous speakers, Yorkvillue U215s, had speak on connectors. If I can do it..ANYBODY CAN!!!! Oh sure they tried to trick me with the bi-wiring option so each connector had two positives and negative connections but after 13 hours of effort, I got there!!!!
Gooddoc likes this.
post #995 of 1056 Old 04-20-2015, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
New one in Town

Hello All

I owned two submersive and always wanted to get Cat12's. I finally got Cat 12's for LCR from Chuck (Audio Guy) and Mark was nice enough to sell two previous version Sparks to me as well to go all Seaton.

I will be waiting for new sparks to be available for my atmos application. I cannot wait to get.

Cheers

Raj
mcallister and craig john like this.
post #996 of 1056 Old 04-21-2015, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post
Hello All

I owned two submersive and always wanted to get Cat12's. I finally got Cat 12's for LCR from Chuck (Audio Guy) and Mark was nice enough to sell two previous version Sparks to me as well to go all Seaton.

I will be waiting for new sparks to be available for my atmos application. I cannot wait to get.

Cheers

Raj
Enjoy! i am sure that is a killer system.

Any pics ?

a review would be great too!

post #997 of 1056 Old 04-21-2015, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
Enjoy! i am sure that is a killer system.

Any pics ?

a review would be great too!

Thanks. I am yet to get them (being shipped as we speak). Once I have them, will take pictures and do a review.

Cheers
post #998 of 1056 Old 04-21-2015, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I would have a similar reply. My previous speakers, Yorkvillue U215s, had speak on connectors. If I can do it..ANYBODY CAN!!!! Oh sure they tried to trick me with the bi-wiring option so each connector had two positives and negative connections but after 13 hours of effort, I got there!!!!
For some reason many pre-made cables are still sold with the NL4FC connectors from the original FC series by Neutrik or a look-alike. The SPX series which includes the NL4FX is simpler to assemble with 3 rather than 4 pieces, has larger and easier to align screw terminals, and has 2 of the 4 terminals labeled in white lettering on the body. The pattern alternates, so it's pretty easy to sort out, even if you can't be sure of the raised lettering in the black plastic. If you click on the "assembly instructions" link on either the Parts Express page or here on Neutrik's own site, you will see that you can figure which is which just by the orientation to the metal locking tab.

For those wanting a simpler solution and can provide a cable length, we can terminate the 4 conductor cable for you and leave the other ready to fish through a wall and terminate to the binding posts with the colors labeled. Keeping the SpeakON at the amplifier does insure that once the wiring is confirmed, components can always be moved and re-connected in the rack without concern.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #999 of 1056 Old 04-21-2015, 11:16 AM

Stands for Sparks

Hello

I just placed an order with Mark for Older Sparks and will be shipped soon. these will be for my surround duties. Can some one recommend a stand for these?

Cheers

Raj
post #1000 of 1056 Old 04-24-2015, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post
Hello

I just placed an order with Mark for Older Sparks and will be shipped soon. these will be for my surround duties. Can some one recommend a stand for these?

Cheers

Raj

I do not have the Sparks for rears but I have seen others use the same mounts that I use. Here are three links to basically the same mounts. I use the one in the first link. Pay attention to the width as the first and last links are 11" wide and the middle link is 12" wide. I think the Sparks will work with any of them but check the width to make sure.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DCAOHK/...EA68378Z&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-Mount...99TS57H4N26PS5

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clam...99TS57H4N26PS5
rramacha likes this.
post #1001 of 1056 Old 04-26-2015, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Seaton Sound at AXPONA 2015

Hey all- I just wanted to say how impressed I was by Mark's system at Axpona. It was definitely one of the highlights of the show. The Interstellar and Art of Flight demos were something to experience.

I own several Submersives and my theater room is 15'x24' with 9' ceilings. I have what I believe is pretty intense bass. Mark's demo room was huge, something like 30'x50' with 20' ceilings. With 8 Submersives, this was one of the most visceral experiences I have ever had in home theater. I didn't know how powerful his subs were until now. Oh, and the Cat12s and newly redesigned sparks were beauties and every bit as powerful and precise as his subs.

BTW, It was also nice to meet a very knowledgable member of the forums, FOH. Thanks for our conversation!

Thanks again for the fantastic ride Mark!
rramacha likes this.
post #1002 of 1056 Old 04-26-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
I do not have the Sparks for rears but I have seen others use the same mounts that I use. Here are three links to basically the same mounts. I use the one in the first link. Pay attention to the width as the first and last links are 11" wide and the middle link is 12" wide. I think the Sparks will work with any of them but check the width to make sure.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DCAOHK/...EA68378Z&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-Mount...99TS57H4N26PS5

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clam...99TS57H4N26PS5
Thanks for your message. I need a floor stander and thinking about this
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SS36

Cheers

Raj
DRC3 likes this.
post #1003 of 1056 Old 04-26-2015, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2132 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
After watching the Facebook video clip of Mark showing the demo room at Axpona, I really hope we get to see some demo clips of that setup in action!
post #1004 of 1056 Old 04-26-2015, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post
Hey all- I just wanted to say how impressed I was by Mark's system at Axpona. It was definitely one of the highlights of the show. The Interstellar and Art of Flight demos were something to experience.

I own several Submersives and my theater room is 15'x24' with 9' ceilings. I have what I believe is pretty intense bass. Mark's demo room was huge, something like 30'x50' with 20' ceilings. With 8 Submersives, this was one of the most visceral experiences I have ever had in home theater. I didn't know how powerful his subs were until now. Oh, and the Cat12s and newly redesigned sparks were beauties and every bit as powerful and precise as his subs.

BTW, It was also nice to meet a very knowledgable member of the forums, FOH. Thanks for our conversation!

You were impressed with Mark's system but placed an order with JTR. 😯
J/k. Enjoy your new speaker!!!
post #1005 of 1056 Old 04-26-2015, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I have to agree with you, I got a chance to sit through a demo on Saturday afternoon and the sheer sound pressure of that room was amazing....I was also in the Emotiva room next door and Dan(Emotiva owner) commented on the impact of that room.....all good stuff....now I just need two more submersive f2s!
DRC3 likes this.
post #1006 of 1056 Old 04-27-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony4k View Post
You were impressed with Mark's system but placed an order with JTR. 😯
J/k. Enjoy your new speaker!!!

I also bought 2 more F2's from Mark. I think Mark and Jeff are both very meticulous designers. They share the same philosophy of "no holds barred" audio, although they go about it differently. At this point I was interested in a fullrange floorstanding speaker.
RMK! and countryWV like this.
post #1007 of 1056 Old 04-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I also bought 2 more F2's from Mark. I think Mark and Jeff are both very meticulous designers. They share the same philosophy of "no holds barred" audio, although they go about it differently. At this point I was interested in a fullrange floorstanding speaker.
Should have bought a couple of 12C on stands for that purpose. That's what I did! All three of them in fact. ;-)
Mark Seaton and DRC3 like this.
post #1008 of 1056 Old 04-27-2015, 02:53 PM

Congrats on the Killer Room Award at Axpona 2015 by Home Theater Shack !

Link

Mark Seaton likes this.
post #1009 of 1056 Old 04-27-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscherk View Post
Should have bought a couple of 12C on stands for that purpose. That's what I did! All three of them in fact. ;-)

Congrats on your speakers!

That was the first time I had experienced the Catalysts, just not able to make the that kind of a move…yet. Gonna enjoy the ride one step at a time.
post #1010 of 1056 Old 04-28-2015, 02:25 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Maybe I missed it, but was pricing announced for the new sparks at Ax?

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #1011 of 1056 Old 04-28-2015, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
Maybe I missed it, but was pricing announced for the new sparks at Ax?

If the pricing was announced at AX it hasn't mad it to the internet yet. Still patiently waiting and checking here, Seatons Facebook and forum daily

post #1012 of 1056 Old 04-28-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
After watching the Facebook video clip of Mark showing the demo room at Axpona, I really hope we get to see some demo clips of that setup in action!
+1!
post #1013 of 1056 Old 04-29-2015, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
If the pricing was announced at AX it hasn't mad it to the internet yet. Still patiently waiting and checking here, Seatons Facebook and forum daily
I had tentative pricing posted at the show that I think will be accurate, but I will have some of the last numbers verified by Friday. At this point in time the external amplification makes up a significant portion of the cost while we continue to develop some added value options for those using 3-4 speakers. Even so, the benefit of the form factor and attractiveness of the package was appreciated by many at the show, and I will be announcing additional variations to the Spark lineup very soon. With the internet having a longer memory on posted prices, I'm going to hold out confirming that until I get the last component price verified.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #1014 of 1056 Old 04-29-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are some pictures I took at Axpona 2015 of the assembled system and room:

This year's Axpona 2015 was far and away our most ambitious undertaking and largest public demonstration we have set up. It was wonderful to share such an exciting home theater experience with so many enthusiasts and see their enjoyment of the end result. We plan to set up in the same room for next year and hope kick it up even a step higher next year! I also want to express special thanks to Ken Whitcomb, aka @D6500Ken , of Calibrations, Inc. for delivering a great image from the Sony VPL-VW1100ES projector and Seymour AV's Enlightor 4k 115" wide, 132" diagonal screen (thanks again @chriscmore !). Thank you to all who made it to the room to join in the fun! [cool]

Below are a few shots I was able to get of the very dark room. While the black and dark blue curtains were wonderful help with the acoustics when spaced well off the walls, they did make picture taking rather tricky. Next year we'll work out more lighting and control of the lighting:

Walking in the double doors to our room at the end of the hall on the lobby level of the Westin visitors were greeted with a static display of an SubMersive HP+ in espresso cherry, 2 of our new Spark HC loudspeakers in black maple and a SubMersive F2+ in our vintage cherry finish. The tall blue curtain helped both with acoustics and to maintain the beautiful image of the Sony projector on the 115" wide screen even as people streamed in and out of the double doors at the back of the room.

This was the view attendees walked into as they stepped around the big blue curtain above:

A little brighter view of the 3 Catalyst 12C internally tri-amplified speakers and 4 SubMersive F2-Slave subwoofers powered by 8kW of power remotely from the equipment rack. There were 2 more stacks of SubMersive HP+ & HP-Slave units in each rear corner of the room for 8 total SubMersives with 16kW of power and another 8kW of power between the 3 Catalyst 12Cs and 4 Spark HC speakers in the room.

It was also a great pleasure to have Jerry McNutt, Eminence's Product Design Manager, spend some time the room. It was even more fun to let him experience what 16kW of power can do with 16 of the 15" drivers he and Eminence have helped me bring to market.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #1015 of 1056 Old 04-29-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
I had tentative pricing posted at the show that I think will be accurate, but I will have some of the last numbers verified by Friday. At this point in time the external amplification makes up a significant portion of the cost while we continue to develop some added value options for those using 3-4 speakers. Even so, the benefit of the form factor and attractiveness of the package was appreciated by many at the show, and I will be announcing additional variations to the Spark lineup very soon. With the internet having a longer memory on posted prices, I'm going to hold out confirming that until I get the last component price verified.
Any new powered version/s of the Spark? please say yes
post #1016 of 1056 Old 04-29-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Any new powered version/s of the Spark? please say yes
The Spark HC is powered. The amp just isn't physically mounted in the speaker.
post #1017 of 1056 Old 04-29-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
The Spark HC is powered. The amp just isn't physically mounted in the speaker.
yup, but i hope Mark releases one similar to the 1st Spark which has a built-in amplifier, instead of an external one.

lets wait and see what the variations are

If i want to get 4 pairs of the Spark HC's for surrounds+atmos/dts:X, i don't think 4 stereo amps would be practical.
post #1018 of 1056 Old 04-29-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
yup, but i hope Mark releases one similar to the 1st Spark which has a built-in amplifier, instead of an external one.

lets wait and see what the variations are

If i want to get 4 pairs of the Spark HC's for surrounds+atmos/dts:X, i don't think 4 stereo amps would be practical.
After we get the first version sorted we'll possibly make up a bookshelf version that is deeper with the amp in the back. In this case the 8" coax extends right to the back of the box. We will continue to develop and work on amplifier options where I expect to pack 4 speakers worth of power in a single box some time before the end of the year. I think 2 amplifiers for 8 surround speakers is plenty reasonable, with possibly one more for main speakers.
Balbolito and DRC3 like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #1019 of 1056 Old 04-29-2015, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bravo Mark!! WELL DONE
post #1020 of 1056 Old 05-16-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Good afternoon fellas. I just made the jump and purchased a set of Cat 12's and had a couple questions for when they arrive. This is my first set of active main speakers as well.

First off, I currently have a denon 4520 which has only rca pre-outs. The general off idea I've always read is that rca's are fine for distances of 12'(I think) or less and xlr's do provide benefit for distances greater than that. Can any owners chime in with their experiences on this? Currently, I'd need the rca runs to be roughly 40ish'. If I relocate my av rack it could be even further.

Second, I've known that some brands of receivers have issues with the voltage that their pre-outs deliver (had big trouble with a couple pioneer units a few years ago). Are there any brands/models that have been known to be less than optimal with catalysts?

I'm sure I'll think of more as the days pass but this is it for now. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page