**The Official Seaton Sound Speaker Thread** - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 108Likes
post #1021 of 1044 Unread 05-16-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
Good afternoon fellas. I just made the jump and purchased a set of Cat 12's...
You and me both.

Quote:
First off, I currently have a denon 4520 which has only rca pre-outs. The general off idea I've always read is that rca's are fine for distances of 12'(I think) or less and xlr's do provide benefit for distances greater than that. Can any owners chime in with their experiences on this? Currently, I'd need the rca runs to be roughly 40ish'. If I relocate my av rack it could be even further.
I'm not sure I understand your question. The Catalyst's only have a XLR input. At some point you're going to need to turn the RCA output from your Denon into a XLR connector. Unless you already have RCA's run to where the Cats are going to go, my suggestion would be to get a appropriate length RCA to XLR cable. I plan to pick some up from Monoprice so I can use two of the Cat 12's until my theater is finished.

Quote:
Second, I've known that some brands of receivers have issues with the voltage that their pre-outs deliver (had big trouble with a couple pioneer units a few years ago). Are there any brands/models that have been known to be less than optimal with catalysts?
AFAIK, Mark has set the gain on the amps so that consumer gear won't have any problems driving them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1044 Unread 05-16-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
You and me both.
Sweet!

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your question. The Catalyst's only have a XLR input. At some point you're going to need to turn the RCA output from your Denon into a XLR connector. Unless you already have RCA's run to where the Cats are going to go, my suggestion would be to get a appropriate length RCA to XLR cable. I plan to pick some up from Monoprice so I can use two of the Cat 12's until my theater is finished.
My apologies. Looking back it I see it wasn't very clear. I was asking about any potential problems from running what is effectively unbalanced for 40+ feet (even though it would be some kind of rca to xlr cable like this). Or am I mistaken and will using a simple rca to xlr cable make it a balanced connection?

I guess I was wondering if I might ultimately need to get a processor with xlr's outs because of the length of the cables I need to run.

Quote:
AFAIK, Mark has set the gain on the amps so that consumer gear won't have any problems driving them.
Good to know. Thank you.
post #1023 of 1044 Unread 05-16-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My apologies. Looking back it I see it wasn't very clear. I was asking about any potential problems from running what is effectively unbalanced for 40+ feet (even though it would be some kind of rca to xlr cable like this). Or am I mistaken and will using a simple rca to xlr cable make it a balanced connection?
It's a little more complicated than that. The idea behind balanced connectors is that you have a + and - that are inverted relative to each other (from GND). At the XLR input side, the - channel is inverted so it's now identical to the + and no longer out of phase and the two are then summed. What this does is cause any noise coupled onto the cable to be cancelled out because you're adding the noise to it's inverted self. So, if you have a RCA to XLR cable that connects the GND and - only at the RCA plug, the cable should still give you the noise cancelling effect for any noise coupled into the cables (when used from an RCA output to an XLR input). Even though there is no signal on the - side, it would just contain any noise coupled onto the cable (which would also get coupled on the + side as well). I'm not sure if this is how most RCA to XLR cables are constructed though.

So, I'd definitely favor running a long RCA to XLR cable, or putting the RCA to XLR adapter at the receiver and running a long XLR cable, over a running a long RCA cable with a RCA to XLR adapter at the speaker's input.

Quote:
I guess I was wondering if I might ultimately need to get a processor with xlr's outs because of the length of the cables I need to run.
Maybe, but it's not very likely.

Last edited by Stereodude; 05-16-2015 at 06:20 PM. Reason: dang typos
post #1024 of 1044 Unread 05-17-2015, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
It's a little more complicated than that. The idea behind balanced connectors is that you have a + and - that are inverted relative to each other (from GND). At the XLR input side, the - channel is inverted so it's now identical to the + and no longer out of phase and the two are then summed. What this does is cause any noise coupled onto the cable to be cancelled out because you're adding the noise to it's inverted self. So, if you have a RCA to XLR cable that connects the GND and - only at the RCA plug, the cable should still give you the noise cancelling effect for any noise coupled into the cables (when used from an RCA output to an XLR input). Even though there is no signal on the - side, it would just contain any noise coupled onto the cable (which would also get coupled on the + side as well). I'm not sure if this is how most RCA to XLR cables are constructed though.

So, I'd definitely favor running a long RCA to XLR cable, or putting the RCA to XLR adapter at the receiver and running a long XLR cable, over a running a long RCA cable with a RCA to XLR adapter at the speaker's input.

Maybe, but it's not very likely.
Excellent. I just purchased the 4520 so I'd rather not go processor shopping again if it's not necessary.

Thank you for the explanation on balanced cables. Admittedly, it's something I should have learned after several years in this hobby, but never had the interest to search out the answer. It was just something I took for granted.
rramacha likes this.
post #1025 of 1044 Unread 05-17-2015, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Excellent. I just purchased the 4520 so I'd rather not go processor shopping again if it's not necessary.

Thank you for the explanation on balanced cables. Admittedly, it's something I should have learned after several years in this hobby, but never had the interest to search out the answer. It was just something I took for granted.
I also recently bought 3 Cat 12's and 2 Sparks (old model, but Mark had them and sold to me). You will love them. I play as loud as my Klipsch (around 85DB) and they show no signs of any strain and sound musical.

Cheers

Raj
post #1026 of 1044 Unread 05-17-2015, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
After we get the first version sorted we'll possibly make up a bookshelf version that is deeper with the amp in the back. In this case the 8" coax extends right to the back of the box. We will continue to develop and work on amplifier options where I expect to pack 4 speakers worth of power in a single box some time before the end of the year. I think 2 amplifiers for 8 surround speakers is plenty reasonable, with possibly one more for main speakers.
Whoa, whoa! Hold the horses here!!

"One more for main speakers"???

Mark.....Did you just drop the bomb that you are going to be designing the Cat's with a remote amp option???
post #1027 of 1044 Unread 05-17-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Mark.....Did you just drop the bomb that you are going to be designing the Cat's with a remote amp option???
That's a lot of channels in a single box. 9 for the front 3 Catalysts. I realize there's will be 8 in the chassis for 2 pairs of the Spark HC, but I'd expect that the the higher wattage modules for the Catalyst 12C and 8C would need more chassis space.
post #1028 of 1044 Unread 05-17-2015, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Quote:
That's a lot of channels in a single box.
It's also a lot of speculation
Modicen likes this.
post #1029 of 1044 Unread 05-18-2015, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:

That was in reference to using any of the forthcoming Spark models as the mains rather than the larger models. That said, I intend to have the means to power the Catalyst family of products externally by the end of 2015. Until we get into the 8 amplifier channels or 4 speaker connection per chassis the external amplifiers are a little more expensive to build, but the flexibility of just running speaker wire out to the speaker locations is worthwhile. I will also have a version of the Spark's available which can be powered from a single pair of speaker wires for those who can't easily replace existing wire. These still require our specific DSP in each amplifier channel but allow us to maintain much higher efficiency for 80% of the bandwidth and very smooth frequency response vs. going fully passive. It will also allow for some less expensive amplifier options in the future.
Gooddoc, RMK! and DRC3 like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #1030 of 1044 Unread 05-19-2015, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Look what I found hitchhiking in PA.

I got home just after 3AM and didn't have the energy to do anything other than put them in the garage. I'm only up so early because I had to return the rental minivan by 7AM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitchhikers.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	725058  
post #1031 of 1044 Unread 05-20-2015, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I had tentative pricing posted at the show that I think will be accurate, but I will have some of the last numbers verified by Friday. At this point in time the external amplification makes up a significant portion of the cost while we continue to develop some added value options for those using 3-4 speakers. Even so, the benefit of the form factor and attractiveness of the package was appreciated by many at the show, and I will be announcing additional variations to the Spark lineup very soon. With the internet having a longer memory on posted prices, I'm going to hold out confirming that until I get the last component price verified.
An update on that pricing Mark?
post #1032 of 1044 Unread 05-20-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This is how you guys are using your Catalyst 12C's right? As workshop speakers in your basement right?

post #1033 of 1044 Unread 05-21-2015, 05:35 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Whoa ... better hope those pipes don't burst from the intense impact of the 12Cs! Beats how I'm currently "not using" my Cat 8Cs, and won't be for several weeks until I move.

Though I did take one of them up for some cameo shots with my one of my subs just to see how it looked.

Excuse the "smartphone" quality of the shots!

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #1034 of 1044 Unread 05-21-2015, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 466
^ pbc, nothing wrong with your shots and the 8C's look great!

Quick tip: Place those 8C's as far forward as possible on the sub to minimise diffraction off the top surface.

(Assuming thats where they'll be after the move.)
DRC3 likes this.
post #1035 of 1044 Unread 05-21-2015, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
^ pbc, nothing wrong with your shots and the 8C's look great!

Quick tip: Place those 8C's as far forward as possible on the sub to minimise diffraction off the top surface.

(Assuming thats where they'll be after the move.)
I did not think about "diffraction" when I placed my 12C's on top of my SubM's. All I did was to align the grills.

--Carl
post #1036 of 1044 Unread 05-21-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
Whoa ... better hope those pipes don't burst from the intense impact of the 12Cs!
Not to worry, the pipes are not pressurized, nor are they filled with water. They're cooling pipes for air from my air compressor in the garage to remove moisture from the air when I'm using air tools in the basement (which isn't often).

I haven't had a lot of ear time with my Catalyst 12Cs yet, but I've had a stupid grin on my face when I've been standing in front of them testing them at high SPLs and trying out the different programs (HT and full range). The clarity of the sound and other sonic qualities of them while they're loafing along playing crazy loud is something to behold. They do work a bit harder with the full range program in use, but that's to be expected.
Mark Seaton likes this.
post #1037 of 1044 Unread 05-21-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
An update on that pricing Mark?
I just posted the long answer in the Spark thread on our forum. The short answer is that we will have a Spark XC2 & Spark XC1. The XC2 will be the fully bi-amplified version selling for $750 each + amplification. This requires 4 separate conductors (wires) for connection which is commonly available as in-wall 4 conductor wire. The XC1 is a quasi-passive speaker which can operate over an existing single pair of wires. They are described as "quasi-passive" since they require DSP in the single channel amplifier powering them. The single channel Spark XC1 will sell for $795 each + amplification.

We have our own amplifiers which are optimized for the speakers where we can insure a low noise floor and consistent operation. The SSA-2x2 configured to power 2 Spark XC2's will be $1995 delivering 500W per speaker (200W-HF/300W-LF). Pro-audio options for those not concerned about fan noise and possibly higher noise floor will offer the potential of significant savings on the amplification with some examples we're testing delivering 4 channels of 400W for about $1000.
Stereodude and rramacha like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #1038 of 1044 Unread 05-22-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I just posted the long answer in the Spark thread on our forum.
Okay, thanks. I have read it over closely. I'm excited to see what other solutions you can offer. Two $2k amps for 4 of the Spark XC2's is a bit stiff. Fan noise or rack space won't be a problem for me, but I'm a bit skittish over having hissy speakers.
mcallister likes this.
post #1039 of 1044 Unread 06-20-2015, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 40
post #1040 of 1044 Unread 06-20-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I haven't had a lot of ear time with my Catalyst 12Cs yet, but I've had a stupid grin on my face when I've been standing in front of them testing them at high SPLs and trying out the different programs (HT and full range). The clarity of the sound and other sonic qualities of them while they're loafing along playing crazy loud is something to behold. They do work a bit harder with the full range program in use, but that's to be expected.
So I tried to let the Catalyst 12Cs stretch their legs a few weeks back while I had a friend over to check them out, but my receiver kept shutting down around +7dB (playing bass heavy music). It would flash some sort of system error message on the VFD and power cycle itself. I guess it doesn't like putting that much voltage across the internal amps with no load. The DIY 15" subwoofer with 1kW and four 15" passive radiators I currently have paired with them couldn't keep up at those volumes either. It was stupid loud. The Catalysts were still cruising along and weren't drawing very much power either (meaning they had a lot left in the tank). I would be pretty surprised if anyone can find the limits of the 12Cs from ~6' away while not wearing hearing protection.
post #1041 of 1044 Unread 06-20-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2110 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
Wow those F18's look awesome! So I guess its safe to say that Mark will be using UM18-22's in his 18" subs now? After seeing what they can do from Josh Ricci's review at Data-bass that seems like a great driver!
post #1042 of 1044 Unread 06-20-2015, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
So I guess its safe to say that Mark will be using UM18-22's in his 18" subs now?
No, it's safe to say Mark is using a driver with the same cone. Maybe the same basket / frame and surround. I very strongly suspect it's not a stock UM.
post #1043 of 1044 Unread 06-20-2015, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2110 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
Quote:
No, it's safe to say Mark is using a driver with the same cone. Maybe the same basket / frame and surround. I very strongly suspect it's not a stock UM.

Yes sorry, I should have said in my post that they would have custom T/S parameters to his specs.
post #1044 of 1044 Unread Today, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement