**The Official Seaton Sound Speaker Thread** - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 154Likes

post #1141 of 1153 Old 11-15-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I haven't seen much from fellow Seaton owners lately. Either they don't post here much anymore, or the Seaton speakers aren't as popular as they were when I bought mine. I got mine in 2013 and they're still going strong. I only had a problem with one spark were the amp died. It would always pop when powered on, and even after repair, it still pops. If it dies again, I may just replace the sparks with something else.

Those of you who still have and use your seaton speakers, how have they been treating you? Have you heard anything else that caught your interest since?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1153 Old 11-16-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I guess Seaton owners are few and far between.
post #1143 of 1153 Old 11-16-2016, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Always wonder how Cat 12's would compare to the JTR 215RM's I am running across the front. Since I have all Seaton Subs, a matching set of speakers would be nice, but the JTR's sound very good to my ears. If it ain't broke....
post #1144 of 1153 Old 11-16-2016, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Or, perhaps very happy and don't have anything negative to say.
I have had Seaton speakers for going on eight years now. I bought the two subs from the fellow that started the Seaton Sound SubMersive1 thread, as he was moving to China (I believe) and could not take them with him.
After I received them, I contacted Mark asking him what I should use for cement to tighten the grill cloth that was now sagging. He told me to ship them to him and he would fix them, as he was now using a different method in their construction. They were on their way back to me two days after he received them at no cost to me except the initial shipping to him. (I hadn't even purchased directly from Mark) Now that is real customer support.

Shortly afterwards I purchased three Cat 12Cs. After the amplifier upgrade became available for the SubMersive I did that as well.
I believe that being a happy Seaton owner I could be classified as one of the "few and far between" that rarely posts.

--Carl
post #1145 of 1153 Old 11-16-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post
Always wonder how Cat 12's would compare to the JTR 215RM's I am running across the front. Since I have all Seaton Subs, a matching set of speakers would be nice, but the JTR's sound very good to my ears. If it ain't broke....
Yup, I hear that. Same here, whenever I listen to my set up, I'm enamored. Sure, there may be more refined, accurate speakers out there, but I just enjoy the hell out of these whenever I listen to them. Some refer to their sound as "raw" like it's a bad thing. To me, that's a positive. I want to hear the sound, whether it's music or a movie soundtrack, exactly the way it was intended. I don't want a speaker to add it's own sound signature to it, or subdue any of the sounds in any way. I want realism, and the Cats certainly satisfy. Especially watching concerts on blu-ray. Doesn't get more realistic than that! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post
Or, perhaps very happy and don't have anything negative to say.
I have had Seaton speakers for going on eight years now. I bought the two subs from the fellow that started the Seaton Sound SubMersive1 thread, as he was moving to China (I believe) and could not take them with him.
After I received them, I contacted Mark asking him what I should use for cement to tighten the grill cloth that was now sagging. He told me to ship them to him and he would fix them, as he was now using a different method in their construction. They were on their way back to me two days after he received them at no cost to me except the initial shipping to him. (I hadn't even purchased directly from Mark) Now that is real customer support.

Shortly afterwards I purchased three Cat 12Cs. After the amplifier upgrade became available for the SubMersive I did that as well.
I believe that being a happy Seaton owner I could be classified as one of the "few and far between" that rarely posts.
That's what I was thinking. They don't have to post anything negative to post, just chat every once in a while with fellow Seaton owners, maybe about things you've listened to or movies you watched on your system. Maybe make some recommendations. Or maybe they've heard other sound systems of various calibers and can compare them to their Seaton set up. That would always be fun to hear. When I go to pick up my new pre-pro (Anthem AVM60) I'm gonna see if the guy there will let me audition some Revel F208's. He has them as well as many other speakers in his demo room. Not that there's a chance in hell I would ever replace my Cat 12C's with F208's, I just want to hear them from the praise I've been reading about their sound. Only complaint I have read about them was they can be too refined and laid back.

I have nothing but good things to say about Mark myself. One of my amps in my spark surrounds went and the whole process was quick and painless. My spark was up and running again within 3 weeks, and that was with shipping the amp to him, the repair and turn around shipping.

Back to recommendations of things to play, any of you guys have or hear the Blue Man Group Blu Ray "How To Be a Megastar?" This is one the things I use to demonstrate my systems abilities to people. The bombardment of percussion and the dynamics is absolutely unreal, especially at 10db above reference! I particularly like how the Cat 12C's handle percussion instruments.
DRC3 likes this.
post #1146 of 1153 Old 11-16-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
I haven't seen much from fellow Seaton owners lately. Either they don't post here much anymore, or the Seaton speakers aren't as popular as they were when I bought mine. I got mine in 2013 and they're still going strong. I only had a problem with one spark were the amp died. It would always pop when powered on, and even after repair, it still pops. If it dies again, I may just replace the sparks with something else.

Those of you who still have and use your seaton speakers, how have they been treating you? Have you heard anything else that caught your interest since?
Still love mine and get to listen music on them a lot more than I used to because it seems to calm my daughter when she's cranky, put her to sleep when she is restless, and is better than putting on a TV show when we're playing. I wouldn't consider replacing them with anything else that doesn't cost substantially more. In fact, the only thing I've heard that I'd even consider to date is the M2's, and I can't justify dropping that kind of coin in my room.

To your other comment -- yeah, in general, this thread certainly seems to be much less active than, say, the JTR thread. Of course, that seems like a lot of a "general chat" thread, lol. Guess we just don't have enough owners to duplicate that here.

Also, I like to say, I wish Mark monitored this thread a little more. I assume he's been busy lately, because it used to be pretty easy for me to get him on the line the few times I've had issues. However, my most recent problem has had me worried since I still have not been able to get in touch with him to resolve it. I've left many voice mails, PM'd him, posted in the threads here, and emailed him. With the exception of the one time he picked up the phone, I've not heard from him. Like I said, I'm sure he's busy, and that's a good thing for him / us to be sure we have continued support, but I really wish he'd just return some form of communication.
DRC3 likes this.
post #1147 of 1153 Old 11-16-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Yes, perfectly happy with 3 Seaton 8C's for L/C/R, and a SubMersive HP. Will never need other speakers, so not much to talk about.
DRC3 likes this.
post #1148 of 1153 Old 11-16-2016, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2668
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post
We actually compared the Seaton Cat12 to the JTR215 at our last GTG event.
DRC3 likes this.
post #1149 of 1153 Old 11-16-2016, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Oh yeah? Do tell!
Modicen likes this.
post #1150 of 1153 Old 11-16-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
We actually compared the Seaton Cat12 to the JTR215 at our last GTG event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoggz View Post
Oh yeah? Do tell!
X2
Modicen likes this.
post #1151 of 1153 Old 11-16-2016, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
well, even though I've got them for sale (WAF) I'll chime in that the Cat 8c's are my favourite sounding speakers I've owned. If I ever get a dedicated theater room, there's a very good chance I'll be buying a set again.
DRC3 likes this.
post #1152 of 1153 Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
well, even though I've got them for sale (WAF) I'll chime in that the Cat 8c's are my favourite sounding speakers I've owned. If I ever get a dedicated theater room, there's a very good chance I'll be buying a set again.
what are you replacing them with?
post #1153 of 1153 Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Set from Funk audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags