**The Official Seaton Sound Speaker Thread** - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 175Likes

Old 12-25-2016, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
An active option: QSC K8. 105? conical dispersion, 127dBSPL peak capability. EASE data for 12" and 15" models was previously posted here.
Those are nice speakers. If they were passive, I'd consider them. One of the downsides of a powered surround in my room is it needs to be sticking out from the wall a bit since the amp is in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
The SCS8's certainly look neater, and more compact, than the HTM-200's, but don't seem to be as capable speakers. And if I noted correctly, seem to be ~3x the price.
Yes the JBL's look like a strong candidate. How do you think they would compare to the JTR single 8 or slanted 8 for surround duty?

On an unrelated note, I had a Christmas party this past friday and had 15 people crammed into my theater room. We all watched "The Night Before" which has fantastic sound, especially for a comedy. I got plenty of compliments on the sound, even I was taken back at some parts that sounded incredibly real and I'm used to my system. The AVM 60 and Cat 12C's have proven to be a great match, IMHO.

Merry Christmas everybody

Last edited by Blackdevil77; 12-25-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2017, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
cat12 vs 212ht

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2017, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J.Taylor View Post
cat12 vs 212ht

Am sorry...pls disregard this post.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just wondering if anybody else took measurements of some kind of the Cat 12C's. From my ARC measurements, I noticed there is a bump around 5kHz that's there on the L/C/R speakers. This is a characteristic of the speakers, not an effect of the room. I'm just wondering if anybody else took measurements that also show this and if so, what may be causing this bump. Is it intentional for some reason, or is it a resonance?

Old 01-06-2017, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
From my ARC measurements, I noticed there is a bump around 5kHz that's there on the L/C/R speakers. This is a characteristic of the speakers, not an effect of the room. I'm just wondering if anybody else took measurements that also show this and if so, what may be causing this bump. Is it intentional for some reason, or is it a resonance?
What are the crossover points on the Cat 12Cs? 5Khz is an odd crossover point, but the BMS coaxial compression drivers in the JTR speakers has a crossover point that high so it's possible. I'm not familiar enough with the Cat 12Cs.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
What are the crossover points on the Cat 12Cs? 5Khz is an odd crossover point, but the BMS coaxial compression drivers in the JTR speakers has a crossover point that high so it's possible. I'm not familiar enough with the Cat 12Cs.
They're crossed at 80Hz. I know I have some nasty dips between 100Hz and ~250Hz. Only way I can smooth them out is by placing the speakers in front of the screen, about 2 feet into the room. Which obviously isn't possible lol.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They're crossed at 80Hz. I know I have some nasty dips between 100Hz and ~250Hz. Only way I can smooth them out is by placing the speakers in front of the screen, about 2 feet into the room. Which obviously isn't possible lol.
I meant the crossover points for the drivers themselves. Not to the subs.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I meant the crossover points for the drivers themselves. Not to the subs.
I believe the coax crosses to the 12's at around 250Hz. I have no idea were the compression driver crosses to the mid range driver. If Mark sees this, I'm sure he'll answer that question.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just getting a feeler for a very possible future change. If I were to sell my 3 Cat 12C's and 2 Spark surrounds, what should I be able to get for them? They were purchased brand new in August of 2013 I believe it was, and they have been entombed in my theater room ever since, never moved. They are used, obviously, but functionally and cosmetically flawless. Would I be able to get at around ~$2,800 ish for each Cat 12C? That's about a grand less than brand new. What could I get for the sparks?
Old 01-15-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In general used gear in excellent condition starting price would be 70-75% of original price.

IME it is difficult to move higher priced speakers and electronics and you may need to sell for less or wait around for that prefect buyer that wants exactly what you have.
Mike_WI likes this.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In general used gear in excellent condition starting price would be 70-75% of original price.

IME it is difficult to move higher priced speakers and electronics and you may need to sell for less or wait around for that prefect buyer that wants exactly what you have.
Okay, 75% of the new price is about $2,800. I'll post them for sale now then. I'm in no rush, I don't think I'd be able to come to terms with selling them very cheap.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Folks,

After seeing Macca's experience I thought I'd post here to try to get Mark's attention. My Submersive has died (red Prot light flashes 4 times) and I've sent email, facebook message and called and went to voicemail. I didn't get a response and I don't want to wait months for service so getting in early. It was only yesterday but with all my other suppliers, they get back to me same day if I have a serious fault.

Mark, it'd be nice to get this moving considering it's still under warranty.

Cheers,
Jamie
AdvancedTheater likes this.

HAA Level II
ISF Certified
Oz Audio Exorcists
Old 01-17-2017, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieT View Post
Folks,

After seeing Macca's experience I thought I'd post here to try to get Mark's attention. My Submersive has died (red Prot light flashes 4 times) and I've sent email, facebook message and called and went to voicemail. I didn't get a response and I don't want to wait months for service so getting in early. It was only yesterday but with all my other suppliers, they get back to me same day if I have a serious fault.

Cheers,
Jamie
You're not alone. I'm in the same situation about a Spark amplifier malfunction.
Silence from Seaton Sound since almost a month despite several tentative.
By experience, patience is a virtue when it's time to communicate with Mark. But still a bit disappointing...
Eric
Old 01-17-2017, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieT View Post
Folks,

Cheers,
Jamie
I can relate to your experience. As a pro when a supplier or manufacturer can't support you properly it's one of the #1 reasons to look for another place. Hope you find a quick and easy resolution.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:36 PM

Hi Folks,

Mark got back to me today so that was pretty good. He's been down with the flu so has been catching up. I sometimes forget it's winter where most of you guys are while we're sweltering under back-to-back 107+F days (was 86F at midnight). I have to ship the amp back from Australia which is not cheap, but hardly Mark's fault.

Cheers,
Jamie
Blackdevil77 likes this.

HAA Level II
ISF Certified
Oz Audio Exorcists
Old 01-17-2017, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Figured I'd put a link here in case anybody misses it or may be interested. I have my Cat 12C's and Sparks up for sale in the classified section.

FS: 3 Seaton Sound Catalyst 12C's
Old 01-19-2017, 11:14 PM

It looks like I spoke too soon. For the last two days I haven't had a response. I'm sitting here with a packed, faulty amp waiting for directions to ship it back (which I'm paying for).

It took about 2 weeks to get another sub fixed locally out of warranty (JL Audio F113 - new power supply) and for about the same cost as the shipping here. Something to keep in mind for people not in the US. They're good subs but there's a plenty of other good subs that don't give you as much grief in actually getting them or when things go wrong.

HAA Level II
ISF Certified
Oz Audio Exorcists
Old 01-24-2017, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I should hope that the lack of info is a case of non-reporting the current status than that of Mark not taking care of his customers.

--Carl
Old 01-24-2017, 11:55 PM

I got the shipping labels today from Mark and shipped it off today to the manufacturer for repair.
Modicen likes this.

HAA Level II
ISF Certified
Oz Audio Exorcists
Old 01-27-2017, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Well, today is a bittersweet day in my life with Cat12s. For the past three years these speakers have given me a lot of joy. I've sat in front of them and teared up several times, spent hours and beers with friends in front of them, listened to them with my daughter in the womb and now at one year old and she seems to love the sweet sounds they make as much as me. Heck, these speakers practically birthed her while my wife was in labor and we were listening to everything from Live (her favorite band) to Sade to keep her mind off the contractions, lol.

But, today, I pulled the trigger on the JBL M2s. I've been lusting after that speaker for a while, and two people (who I will not mention, lol) pushed me over the edge with their back-to-back comparo thoughts. I've heard the M2s on a few occasions and they are a phenomenal speaker. Every time I heard it I would wish I had it, but I couldn't bring myself to buy it when the Cats were just sooooo close. Alas, today was the day I decided I had to have it.

So, this week, whilst I await the arrival of my new toys, I will be tearing up spending many nights with my old babies saying goodbye to them. I'm not listing them for sale quite yet on the off chance I decide not to keep the M2s. I don't think that's likely, but...I suppose I could have a change of heart. Who knows, maybe I'll just keep both...supposing my wife doesn't threaten divorce, lol. Actually, though, she's a little upset because the M2 is certainly not as pretty as my rose nut Cats. She said, "ugh, at least the ones you have now look like furniture, now you're just going to have big ugly boxes in the room." Well, they will probably get hidden in the corners, lol...I'll have a little re-arranging to do.

And thus possibly ends a terrific three years with a wonderful pair of speakers. Mark, thanks for everything you've done and thanks for creating something that punches way above its weight class! I can't believe the speaker that finally tempted me away costs twice as much! I also can't believe my wife let me open the wallet that wide, she's so great to me! She said, "well, ultimately you're going to buy them anyway, so, whatever." Precious that she supports my...habit. It may cost me my pool table, but I don't play it much anyway and I'm so out of practice that when I do, I stink, so.... On the plus side, if I sell that, my baby girl gets that room to play in and I get all her toys out of my speaker's domain, haha!
Blackdevil77 and GIEGAR like this.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Well, today is a bittersweet day in my life with Cat12s. For the past three years these speakers have given me a lot of joy. I've sat in front of them and teared up several times, spent hours and beers with friends in front of them, listened to them with my daughter in the womb and now at one year old and she seems to love the sweet sounds they make as much as me. Heck, these speakers practically birthed her while my wife was in labor and we were listening to everything from Live (her favorite band) to Sade to keep her mind off the contractions, lol.

But, today, I pulled the trigger on the JBL M2s. I've been lusting after that speaker for a while, and two people (who I will not mention, lol) pushed me over the edge with their back-to-back comparo thoughts. I've heard the M2s on a few occasions and they are a phenomenal speaker. Every time I heard it I would wish I had it, but I couldn't bring myself to buy it when the Cats were just sooooo close. Alas, today was the day I decided I had to have it.

So, this week, whilst I await the arrival of my new toys, I will be tearing up spending many nights with my old babies saying goodbye to them. I'm not listing them for sale quite yet on the off chance I decide not to keep the M2s. I don't think that's likely, but...I suppose I could have a change of heart. Who knows, maybe I'll just keep both...supposing my wife doesn't threaten divorce, lol. Actually, though, she's a little upset because the M2 is certainly not as pretty as my rose nut Cats. She said, "ugh, at least the ones you have now look like furniture, now you're just going to have big ugly boxes in the room." Well, they will probably get hidden in the corners, lol...I'll have a little re-arranging to do.

And thus possibly ends a terrific three years with a wonderful pair of speakers. Mark, thanks for everything you've done and thanks for creating something that punches way above its weight class! I can't believe the speaker that finally tempted me away costs twice as much! I also can't believe my wife let me open the wallet that wide, she's so great to me! She said, "well, ultimately you're going to buy them anyway, so, whatever." Precious that she supports my...habit. It may cost me my pool table, but I don't play it much anyway and I'm so out of practice that when I do, I stink, so.... On the plus side, if I sell that, my baby girl gets that room to play in and I get all her toys out of my speaker's domain, haha!
Amen, I'm in the same exact boat as you. Did you get your M2's yet? I'm trying to join you, but there's very little interest in my Seatons, I'm surprised. This whole time I only got 1 PM for them and that person changed his mind. I'm not getting any offers or anything.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Amen, I'm in the same exact boat as you. Did you get your M2's yet? I'm trying to join you, but there's very little interest in my Seatons, I'm surprised. This whole time I only got 1 PM for them and that person changed his mind. I'm not getting any offers or anything.
No, not yet. I was supposed to have them by the end of this week or early next, but some...shipping difficulties (supposedly a fork lift through the box) made that impossible. Now I'm out another week, two at the latest according to my guy.

I'm going to take that time to get my house in order. I've decided to move the pool table to the basement rather than selling it at a huge loss. Also, depending on cost, to finish the basement floors with an epoxy coating to pretty them up so I may actually want to go down there and play on the table. Then I'll run electric and wiring in the basement for the M2 amps and my outdoor amplifier allowing me to move the equipment stand out of my family room. Then my daughter / wife get the living room and I'm back in business, lol.

Good luck with your sale! Pity no one is biting. These really are exceptional speakers. Unfortunately, they are a rarity and a little unknown, so that limits their market.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Quote:
No, not yet. I was supposed to have them by the end of this week or early next, but some...shipping difficulties (supposedly a fork lift through the box) made that impossible. Now I'm out another week, two at the latest according to my guy.

I'm going to take that time to get my house in order. I've decided to move the pool table to the basement rather than selling it at a huge loss. Also, depending on cost, to finish the basement floors with an epoxy coating to pretty them up so I may actually want to go down there and play on the table. Then I'll run electric and wiring in the basement for the M2 amps and my outdoor amplifier allowing me to move the equipment stand out of my family room. Then my daughter / wife get the living room and I'm back in business, lol.

Good luck with your sale! Pity no one is biting. These really are exceptional speakers. Unfortunately, they are a rarity and a little unknown, so that limits their market.
That sucks about the forklift accident but at least you're ways to keep yourself busy. I'd be very antsy if it was me. I already am and I don't even know when I can order them.
Yeah a lot of the problem is not many people know about them or what they are, some people don't want powered speakers, and the general lack of buzz with them lately. Hopefully somebody that wants a great deal on great speakers will PM me. I would of loved to find these used when I was trying to get them.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I made it over to Mark's shop this week and got a chance to see his progress on the new Spark design that I have been eagerly awaiting. I was so impressed with what I saw, I am sending him money in advance for 4 of them for some extra motivation to put the finishing touches on them!! They looked incredible and I can't wait to hear them in my system once completed.

My plan is to pair the 4 Sparks with my 3 Cat 12C mains and my 4 Seaton Terraforms. I am giving serious consideration to adding 4 more Cat 12C's for my side and rear surrounds as well, so I would then have a full Seaton Atmos/DTS-X set-up.

Exciting times!!!!!!!!!
Blackdevil77 and DRC3 like this.

WTB: Gently used Trinnov Altitude 16-24 or 16-32. WTB: Gently used JVC DLA-RS4500 or Sony 5000ES

Last edited by pennynike1; 02-11-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
I made it over to Mark's shop this week and got a chance to see his progress on the new Spark design that I have been eagerly awaiting. I was so impressed with what I saw, I am sending him money in advance for 4 of them for some extra motivation to put the finishing touches on them!! They looked incredible and I can't wait to hear them in my system once completed.

My plan is to pair the 4 Sparks with my 3 Cat 12C mains and my 4 Seaton Terraforms. I am giving serious consideration to adding 4 more Cat 12C's for my side and rear surrounds as well, so I would then have a full Seaton Atmos/DTS-X set-up.

Exciting times!!!!!!!!!
7 thru 9 Cat 12's, 4 Sparks, 4 Terraforms would be a drool worthy audio setup. (Plus 8 Othorns......)

Congratulations!
pennynike1 and DRC3 like this.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I made it over to Mark's shop this week and got a chance to see his progress on the new Spark design!
I'm glad to know that there is still activity going on there. It gives me some hope that I could win the "email reply" lottery for a second time this year.
Seriously, the way communication is taken care of at SeatonSound is completely ridiculous.
Sending an email to sales@seatonsound.net feels the same as sending a letter using the postal service.
At least, an simple acknowledge receipt of inquiry would denote a minimum of professionalism and respect.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikomatik View Post
Quote:
I made it over to Mark's shop this week and got a chance to see his progress on the new Spark design!
I'm glad to know that there is still activity going on there. It gives me some hope that I could win the "email reply" lottery for a second time this year.
Seriously, the way communication is taken care of at SeatonSound is completely ridiculous.
Sending an email to sales@seatonsound.net feels the same as sending a letter using the postal service.
At least, an simple acknowledge receipt of inquiry would denote a minimum of professionalism and respect.
I guess I've been lucky, I always get responses. This is probably a stupid question, but I'm sure you've tried calling, right?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I guess I've been lucky, I always get responses. This is probably a stupid question, but I'm sure you've tried calling, right?
English is not my native language so I'm a lot more at ease communicating by email. But I also tried direct messaging on Seaton Forum with no luck.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikomatik View Post
English is not my native language so I'm a lot more at ease communicating by email. But I also tried direct messaging on Seaton Forum with no luck.
What do you need from Mark? If you want, PM me. If I can, I'll try to get in touch with him for you if it helps.
rikomatik likes this.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
What do you need from Mark? If you want, PM me. If I can, I'll try to get in touch with him for you if it helps.
Thank you for offering!
I have a Spark (no longer under warranty) with a defective amp. A month ago Mark was supposed to check if he had any amp left to sell me and come back with a quote. Silence since then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement