AVS Forum banner

need inwalls with enclosures

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Raymond Leggs 
#1 ·
I'm helping a friend with his new ht and he's set on inwall speakers due to space constraints. He's going with a 7.1 setup.

His friend from dental school is an av enthusiast and he's really pushing enclosed paradigms. I'm a bit skeptical so I thought I would post the question here. Are there other in wall speakers available with enclosures that measure up to paradigm at possibly a lower price point? I used the search function and it looks like speakercraft, triad, deftech, sonance, and polk are mentioned often. How would these perform: http://www.thespeakercompany.com/NTI...er-P88C39.aspx

I realize they are on opposite ends of the price spectrum but they look to be a quality speaker.

Anything else we should be considering?

The speakers will be powered by a marantz sr5003 receiver if that's worth noting. thanks

#2 ·
Can't really comment as I've never heard them, but there is a thread going for TSC you may want to check out. I know at one point they were running a deal where you could try and buy for 30 days with no risk, they even paid return shipping. Not sure if that is still going on but worth checking out.

As far as in-walls goes, just make sure you get something with a sealed back-box. This way the internal volume of the cabinet is controlled. We use full MDF back boxes on all of our in-walls and have found them to perform very similar to a bookshelf speaker.

http://leonspeakers.com/inwalls.html#

#3 ·
I would definitely consider RBH for in-walls as well. Great speakers. This model is the one I recommend and should not break the budget:
http://www.rbhsound.com/mc616.shtml

Click the "find a dealer" button to find a local dealer. If there is no local dealer, RBH will usually work with you and sell direct.

I believe they sell enclosures for these, but if not it is pretty easy to build your own:
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/do...g-the-speakers

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubsr1 /forum/post/16841984

I'm helping a friend with his new ht and he's set on inwall speakers due to space constraints. He's going with a 7.1 setup.

His friend from dental school is an av enthusiast and he's really pushing enclosed paradigms. I'm a bit skeptical so I thought I would post the question here. Are there other in wall speakers available with enclosures that measure up to paradigm at possibly a lower price point? I used the search function and it looks like speakercraft, triad, deftech, sonance, and polk are mentioned often. How would these perform: http://www.thespeakercompany.com/NTI...er-P88C39.aspx

I realize they are on opposite ends of the price spectrum but they look to be a quality speaker.

Anything else we should be considering?

The speakers will be powered by a marantz sr5003 receiver if that's worth noting. thanks

Inwalls can be designed 2 ways...need for an enclosure and open air. There isn't a guarantee that an enclosure will sound better. But, it is a greater chance. Why? The makeup of the cavity is a big factor in how a free air will sound. For instance, say the Left is in a cavity that is 16" center studs, 7' tall with insulation. But the Right is in a openning were the studs were placed closer together, and there is no insulation and there is a fire block 1/2 way. Basically then there will be different characteristics between the 2 sides and that can affect the sound.

That being said, I highly recommend auditioning the speakers if possible...each will sound different to each person.

#5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions thus far. It's unfortunate we're in a location where we're unable to audition a number of quality inwalls. Our options around here for decent speakers are limited to energy and klipsch, unless we make the drive down to Utah. The free 30 day trial offer from tsc is nice but not really applicable to inwalls in my opinion. If I'm cutting a whole in the wall for a speaker, it's staying.

ack, thanks for adding rbhsound to the mix...I'll be checking them out shortly.

Jason, I know you've seen a number of quality home theaters and I value your insight. We'll be calling you soon in regards to a jvc rs10.

#6 ·
I'm currently in a similar situation. I was focused 100% on in-wall speakers, not because of sound constraint, but out of desire for a very clean looking install. I was ready to purchase 3x Paradigm AMS-LCR's for my front 3 when I happened upon these:

http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/...-1-53.paradigm

They're wall mountable and only protrude 4-5" from the wall. Since I'm using a plasma (also 4-5" deep) and not recessing it into the wall, it seems like they should work out perfectly for what I need. Unless your friend is using a projector setup, you may want to mention that style of speaker to him also.

I'm going to be auditioning them on Wednesday, but from what I'm told by the guy I usually deal with, they're awesome value for the $. I'm getting the front 3 for $900 CAD.

#7 ·
Both series of those enclosed thespeakercompany inwalls are rebadged MB Quart Alexxas and Zurichs for 1/3 to 1/2 the price. They are an excellent value. As far as auditioning inwalls, as long as the inwalls you try second are physically larger than the first ones (and thus require a larger cutout) it won't matter that the first ones did not work out - just enlarge the hole to fit the 2nd ones. You will get at least two chances.

If the speakers are just for home theater, and he is willing to spend more, I would also advise you to check out the klipsch thx inwalls (7800 series and 7500 series).

#8 ·
Alex, those paradigms are gorgeous. Unfortunately they won't work with his projector setup, having five kids under the age of ten with destructive tendencies doesn't help the cause either.

Dave, what if he preferred the smaller speakers after auditioning the larger ones?
I believe the klipsch you referenced is sold here, is it considered to be superior to paradigm's offerings? thanks

#9 ·
Here's what I did to audition in-walls: I built a box made of 2X4s using 16" OC (on center or 14 1/2" between) to simulate standard wall layout (use 2X6 if your studs are that size). A cheap piece of drywall takes care of the face and back. It also allows you to move them around to hear where they sound best. When you go to do the real install, a 2X block above and below your cut-out "boxes in" the speaker and duplicates the temporary box. Simple and effective. When choosing a location, stay away from corners and check the other side of the wall you are installing into that there are no perpendicular walls coming off it in the location of install because there will be a channel in that stud bay. I am a builder by trade. You can predict what is inside the wall by builders logic. BTW, I ended up with 8" 2-way Earthquake in-walls I picked up on ebay for $150 for 2 pair. The same maker of my power amp and subwoofer. They sound awesome! Good luck.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubsr1 /forum/post/16845331

Alex, those paradigms are gorgeous. Unfortunately they won't work with his projector setup, having five kids under the age of ten with destructive tendencies doesn't help the cause either.

Dave, what if he preferred the smaller speakers after auditionig the larger ones?
I believe the klipsch you referenced is sold here, is it considered to be superior to paradigm's offerings? thanks

Those Paradigms are very nice speakers, but personally I would choose the klipsch thx over the paradigms for home theater. Those 7800s are inwall versions of the very well regarded klipsch thx cinema system. Also those Paradigms are not true inwall speakers - they stick out on th wall would not work if you are planning to use them behind an acoustically transparent screen.

#11 ·
I recently helped a friend install a set of Atlantic Technology THX Ultra2 In-walls:
http://www.atlantictechnology.com/de...asp?NodeId=134

These speaker require an enclosure to acheive their THX Ultra2 certification. I contacted Atlantic Technology and got the spec's for the internal enclosure volume, (.75 to 1.00 cubic feet). We then had the cabinet maker build the enclosures into his entertainment center. We used 3 of the same speaker across the front. They were mounted horizontally with the MTM portion turned vertically and aimed at the LP.

We purchased these speakers and got an incredible deal from Jason Turk of AVS Forum, who posted above.

Craig

Edit: Lest you discount the importance of an enclosure with an in-wall speaker, I refer you to this article:
http://www.cepro.com/article/how_to_...er_systems/D1/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.