Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 6987Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #29971 of 35378 Old 06-24-2015, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dholmes54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton, Kentucky
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Thxs guys when I've shipped things before we have a drug store in my little town that is a UPS pick up location,Mcallister knows I live in the middle of no where!
mcallister likes this.
dholmes54 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #29972 of 35378 Old 06-24-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,292
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Recieved tracking numbers>Wahooooooo I will finally have a real center channel.

I wanted to find out from the the 215 owners what you think would be a good fit for me with my 215RT's or what you're running. As I said I just bought the new Denon X7200WA AVR and currently using the Inuke6000DSP and it seems to be fine, but I am thinking about upgrading to a better amp. I was talking to Mfusick about the Crown DSI2000. It has a good DSP like the Inuke and thinking about going with that or the DSi4000 or 6000. Anyway wanted to see what you guys thought. I will be honest, I don't know all that much about amps as I have only had a few. I ran my 212HT's right off my 4520 for along time and they did just fine. Anyway I am running full range no subs (Because of neighbor issues ) and don't listen overly loud. I am fine with -10 or reference, but would be way louder if I had a basement, believe me. Depending on what time of the day, is how loud I listen. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reef.
nash23 likes this.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #29973 of 35378 Old 06-24-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,292
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post
I just checked if I shipped my 12s to Los Angeles Ca. From Ky it would be apxx 165.00 each,but maybe if I decided to ship them maybe somebody closer than California would buy them.
Check shipping freight on a pallet wrapped like a newborn baby with plentiful "Don Not Stack" signs on them. If you have anyone who's work ships out freight you can get like 70% off walk in customer price. My works ships lots and I shipped a pair of triple 8's to Jeff on a pallet for $107 total. Jeff shipped back via Fed Ex but for me it was cheaper on a pallet. I shipped a built Turbo 4 cycliber motor in a crate with cylinder head, cams, etc. It was very heavy to South Beach Miami for under $200. worth thinking about IMO since it really expands sales possibilities.
DRC3 likes this.

FTW21 Ported Build
Volt 10 build
I miss Giants baseball!
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #29974 of 35378 Old 06-24-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 2,844
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Reef, its hard to beat the performance of the Crown amps. I really like QSC amps but harder to recommend due to incredibly loud fans. I cannot hear the fan in my XLS 1500, it is much quieter than my fan modded QSC 1850HD.

To bad the XLS line doesnt have parametric equilializer.

___________________________________________
Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html[/B]
NWCgrad is online now  
post #29975 of 35378 Old 06-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Member
 
L0nestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks Country. I'll have to give those surrounds a look. So for proper set up in adding the 1400 sub as a compliment to the 2400 sub, do you think that I can just let Audessy XT32 take care of it or will this be something that will require me to buy REW?

Maximum Un-Intelligence.
L0nestar is offline  
post #29976 of 35378 Old 06-24-2015, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Reef, its hard to beat the performance of the Crown amps. I really like QSC amps but harder to recommend due to incredibly loud fans. I cannot hear the fan in my XLS 1500, it is much quieter than my fan modded QSC 1850HD.

To bad the XLS line doesnt have parametric equilializer.
Same here Reef, the Crown XLS 1500 are serving me well with my 215's. I have them in a separate room so never hear anything but I don't think I've ever heard the fans kick in...ever.....when I go into the equipment room after a movie the fans are never on and there's not a lot of heat build up either. When I was running my Parasound HCA-2003 it was like a sauna in there after a movie. If, however, you require DSP then the XLS aren't for you. I chose to forgo DSP in the amps, if I ever want to add it my thought was get a minidsp.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is online now  
post #29977 of 35378 Old 06-24-2015, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,292
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Same here Reef, the Crown XLS 1500 are serving me well with my 215's. I have them in a separate room so never hear anything but I don't think I've ever heard the fans kick in...ever.....when I go into the equipment room after a movie the fans are never on and there's not a lot of heat build up either. When I was running my Parasound HCA-2003 it was like a sauna in there after a movie. If, however, you require DSP then the XLS aren't for you. I chose to forgo DSP in the amps, if I ever want to add it my thought was get a minidsp.
What are you using for EQ or DSP, High Pass? Are you using 1 amp per speaker.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #29978 of 35378 Old 06-24-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dholmes54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton, Kentucky
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Thx jpowell84
jlpowell84 likes this.
dholmes54 is offline  
post #29979 of 35378 Old 06-24-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
What are you using for EQ or DSP, High Pass? Are you using 1 amp per speaker.
1 amp per 215. No EQ or DSP. I haven't gone down that road yet. I've played around with YPAO's EQ...on/off and I can't tell any difference. For my S8's I run my XLS in stereo.


I've mentioned before, I think I'm (ultimately) going to get a 88a and see what Dirac offers...just not sure when.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is online now  
post #29980 of 35378 Old 06-24-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dholmes54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton, Kentucky
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I just talked to Jeff about sending me triple 12 boxes and he said it would be cheaper if I ordered them from a company called Uline so I'm going to call them and get boxes for them so I guess I'll ship them if someone wants them,of cource I'll have to charge more than 1900.00 for all 3 I think 2200.00 is fair shipped in the 48

Last edited by dholmes54; 06-24-2015 at 05:56 PM.
dholmes54 is offline  
post #29981 of 35378 Old 06-24-2015, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,292
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
1 amp per 215. No EQ or DSP. I haven't gone down that road yet. I've played around with YPAO's EQ...on/off and I can't tell any difference. For my S8's I run my XLS in stereo.


I've mentioned before, I think I'm (ultimately) going to get a 88a and see what Dirac offers...just not sure when.
Me personally, I think they sound good out of the box myself. I am not using any EQ either. I fool around with the internal EQ and some adjustments in the inuke, like the HPF, but other than that, I just let them run loose and they sound fantastic. I am not a big fan of EQ. I originally ordered the XMC-1 for Dirac, but cancelled it before it shipped. I probably should have hung on to it, but I really wanted the new Denon.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 06-24-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #29982 of 35378 Old 06-24-2015, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Me personally, I think they sound good out of the box myself. I am not using any EQ either. I fool around with the internal EQ and some adjustments in the inuke, like the HPF, but other than that, I just let them run loose and they sound fantastic. I am not a big fan of EQ. I originally ordered the XMC-1 for Dirac, but cancelled it before it shipped. I probably should have hung on to it, but I really wanted the new Denon.
Sounds like we're in the same boat. I also think they sound great but of course I don't know the other side.


When is your RM supposed to be delivered?

Nabs17
Nabs17 is online now  
post #29983 of 35378 Old 06-24-2015, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
 
rjh65@verizon.ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Recieved tracking numbers>Wahooooooo I will finally have a real center channel.

I wanted to find out from the the 215 owners what you think would be a good fit for me with my 215RT's or what you're running. As I said I just bought the new Denon X7200WA AVR and currently using the Inuke6000DSP and it seems to be fine, but I am thinking about upgrading to a better amp. I was talking to Mfusick about the Crown DSI2000. It has a good DSP like the Inuke and thinking about going with that or the DSi4000 or 6000. Anyway wanted to see what you guys thought. I will be honest, I don't know all that much about amps as I have only had a few. I ran my 212HT's right off my 4520 for along time and they did just fine. Anyway I am running full range no subs (Because of neighbor issues ) and don't listen overly loud. I am fine with -10 or reference, but would be way louder if I had a basement, believe me. Depending on what time of the day, is how loud I listen. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reef.
I spoke with a Crown tech today about this, he said the XLS series has the quietest fan but no DSP, to get the DSP the next step would be the XTI series, no better SQ but has DSP so my next question was what amp would you have to buy that would have a noticeable increase of SQ over the XLS series and his answer was the Drivecore Install Network series, I then asked him noticeable increase in SQ increase with the DCI series but not night and day difference just subtle but noticeable and he said YES but that the fans are still louder than XLS series. When you look at the price of the DCI series and take into consideration the subtle difference in SQ over the XLS or XTI series the law of diminishing returns is alive and well BIG TIME.
rjh65@verizon.ne is offline  
post #29984 of 35378 Old 06-24-2015, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,292
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0nestar View Post
Thanks Country. I'll have to give those surrounds a look. So for proper set up in adding the 1400 sub as a compliment to the 2400 sub, do you think that I can just let Audessy XT32 take care of it or will this be something that will require me to buy REW?
I am going Get the Mini DSP dirac 88A unit. XT32 will be a thing of the past! Not sure I need the 4520 in the chain anymore lol!

FTW21 Ported Build
Volt 10 build
I miss Giants baseball!
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #29985 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 2,844
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 908
The XLS line has minimal DSP, no PEQ but they have crossover functions. Not sure if they can do a 20 Hz HPF. The newer XLS 2 has more DSP but still no PEQ.

___________________________________________
Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html[/B]
NWCgrad is online now  
post #29986 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,946
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0nestar View Post
Thanks Country. I'll have to give those surrounds a look. So for proper set up in adding the 1400 sub as a compliment to the 2400 sub, do you think that I can just let Audessy XT32 take care of it or will this be something that will require me to buy REW?
I think the only real difference between the 2400 & 1400 is amp related like DSP and Driver impedance. Once they are level matched they should be pretty even. XT32 will allow you to level match before setting the filters.

Something as simple as a Mini-dsp 2 x 4 along with REW would really help in getting the most out of the combination.

Chris
countryWV is online now  
post #29987 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post
I spoke with a Crown tech today about this, he said the XLS series has the quietest fan but no DSP, to get the DSP the next step would be the XTI series, no better SQ but has DSP so my next question was what amp would you have to buy that would have a noticeable increase of SQ over the XLS series and his answer was the Drivecore Install Network series, I then asked him noticeable increase in SQ increase with the DCI series but not night and day difference just subtle but noticeable and he said YES but that the fans are still louder than XLS series. When you look at the price of the DCI series and take into consideration the subtle difference in SQ over the XLS or XTI series the law of diminishing returns is alive and well BIG TIME.
In most cases, provided that you have enough power, subtle differences (typically measured at 1db or less) between amps are completely corrected by room EQ. There are times where DSP in the amp can be useful, but if you have something else in the chain that can do the same processing, there is no benefit.

That said, when I did careful comparisons between amps that I had on hand, here's what I found:
Parasound A51 vs JC1: Subtle differences in tone that completely vanished when room EQ was added.
Parasound A51 vs Hypex NC400: Subtle differences in tone that vanished when room EQ was added, but NC400 still sounded a bit edgy while A51 sounded smooth, even after EQ. I preferred the A51 with my JTRs, but I preferred the NC400s with my previous dome speakers.

So, based on my experience with this, I'd say that JTRs like amps with smooth and extended high frequencies (assuming you can still hear them). With class-D amps with lower switching frequencies, the difference might be audible on JTR models with the coax.

Fan noise IS a real issue, they will be in the same room with you. One of the biggest advantages of getting HE speakers like JTRs is increased dynamic range. In order to achieve that, you want high output capability and the lowest possible noise floor. It's worth pursuing a low noise floor to maximize the dynamics.
RMK! likes this.
rcohen is offline  
post #29988 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,671
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 1248
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
In most cases, provided that you have enough power, subtle differences (typically measured at 1db or less) between amps are completely corrected by room EQ. There are times where DSP in the amp can be useful, but if you have something else in the chain that can do the same processing, there is no benefit.

That said, when I did careful comparisons between amps that I had on hand, here's what I found:
Parasound A51 vs JC1: Subtle differences in tone that completely vanished when room EQ was added.
Parasound A51 vs Hypex NC400: Subtle differences in tone that vanished when room EQ was added, but NC400 still sounded a bit edgy while A51 sounded smooth, even after EQ. I preferred the A51 with my JTRs, but I preferred the NC400s with my previous dome speakers.

So, based on my experience with this, I'd say that JTRs like amps with smooth and extended high frequencies (assuming you can still hear them). With class-D amps with lower switching frequencies, the difference might be audible on JTR models with the coax.

Fan noise IS a real issue, they will be in the same room with you. One of the biggest advantages of getting HE speakers like JTRs is increased dynamic range. In order to achieve that, you want high output capability and the lowest possible noise floor. It's worth pursuing a low noise floor to maximize the dynamics.
Thanks for the thoughts. I am itching to change something ... but honestly every time I listen to the system I can't imagine anything that would provide a significant improvement including EQ or amp changes. Since my amps are outside of the HT room, fan noise is not an issue and the cheap Behringers are doing the job.

Next upgrade will be to 4K video and that looks to be a couple of years away.

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #29989 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
theblackangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. I am itching to change something ... but honestly every time I listen to the system I can't imagine anything that would provide a significant improvement including EQ or amp changes. Since my amps are outside of the HT room, fan noise is not an issue and the cheap Behringers are doing the job.

Next upgrade will be to 4K video and that looks to be a couple of years away.
If you are so happy with the audio setup, you could just bank the money and make sure you can get a killer 4k setup.
Do you have an anamorphic lens? (I never noticed in the pics of your room)
theblackangus is online now  
post #29990 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,292
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post
I spoke with a Crown tech today about this, he said the XLS series has the quietest fan but no DSP, to get the DSP the next step would be the XTI series, no better SQ but has DSP so my next question was what amp would you have to buy that would have a noticeable increase of SQ over the XLS series and his answer was the Drivecore Install Network series, I then asked him noticeable increase in SQ increase with the DCI series but not night and day difference just subtle but noticeable and he said YES but that the fans are still louder than XLS series. When you look at the price of the DCI series and take into consideration the subtle difference in SQ over the XLS or XTI series the law of diminishing returns is alive and well BIG TIME.
I know one thing, I fan modded my inuke and you cannot even tell it is running. I used the Noctua NF-R8 fans and they are almost dead silent.

Still some other amps I am looking at, but the DSi series is most likely what I am going to end up with!


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608006


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
When is your RM supposed to be delivered?
The RM is said to be in route! I just got home and no post it's on the door, so should be here any time. I hate FedEX, my UPS guy just leaves everything, but the FedEX guys leave a note that they will be back tomorrow. Another day of you're stuff on that truck getting banged up We will see what happens here! Surprised it is even in route as there are major power outages here and things are just getting back to normal. I am fine, but Philly and parts of South Jersey got whacked with a storm on Tuesday night and knocked out the entire grid in SJ and parts of philly. Some Tornado's reported along with some Derecho storms. Our town was one of the few that had power and never lost a beat but some places have been out for a couple of days not to mention major damage. Cell service was even down all day Wednesday. It was crazy for a couple of days.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 06-25-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #29991 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shivaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I know one thing, I fan modded my inuke and you cannot even tell it is running. I used the Noctua NF-R8 fans and they are almost dead silent.

Still some other amps I am looking at, but the DSi series is most likely what I am going to end up with!


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608006


The RM is said to be in route! I just got home and no post it's on the door, so should be here any time. I hate FedEX, my UPS guy just leaves everything, but the FedEX guys leave a note that they will be back tomorrow. Another day of you're stuff on that truck getting banged up We will see what happens here! Surprised it is even in route as there are major power outages here and things are just getting back to normal. I am fine, but Philly and parts of South Jersey got whacked with a storm on Tuesday night and knocked out the entire grid in SJ and parts of philly. Some Tornado's reported along with some Derecho storms. Our town was one of the few that had power and never lost a beat but some places have been out for a couple of days not to mention major damage. Cell service was even down all day Wednesday. It was crazy for a couple of days.
In regards to your issue with Fed-ex, what I have done in the past is to leave a note on my door{ To Fed-ex, Please drop off and leave package by the door and I sign it. It has worked for me so far.
shivaji is online now  
post #29992 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,292
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
In regards to your issue with Fed-ex, what I have done in the past is to leave a note on my door{ To Fed-ex, Please drop off and leave package by the door and I sign it. It has worked for me so far.
Yeah I have done that also. I just forget forgot to do that this morning. That is the problem, I forget!! I looked last night and said my delivery was today, now it is saying that delivery date cannot be processed at this time! I had a feeling as things are just screwed up here right now. Wait and see, story of my life.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #29993 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shivaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Yeah I have done that also. I just forget forgot to do that this morning. That is the problem, I forget!! I looked last night and said my delivery was today, now it is saying that delivery date cannot be processed at this time! I had a feeling as things are just screwed up here right now. Wait and see, story of my life.
On another note, I live in a smaller town, and at certain times of the morning I pretty much know where my UPS driver is in the morning. He doesn't get to my house until late afternoon and sometimes I don't want to wait. If I am truly looking forward to getting what i ordered, I go out and find him and get it off the truck. I probably wouldn't do that though with a giant speaker.
DRC3 likes this.
shivaji is online now  
post #29994 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dholmes54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton, Kentucky
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Hello I've got two more slanted 8s I'm going to sell,one problem I did a dumb a$$ thing and stripped two of the screws on one of the 8 checking to see what kind of CD it had,it doesn't affect the sound or looks of the speaker,I guess you could put in new t-nuts but as many screws made for SPK its still fits tight, pm me I'll give a good price.
dholmes54 is offline  
post #29995 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 12:07 PM
Point Source
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 11,145
Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2959 Post(s)
Liked: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0nestar View Post
Thanks Country. I'll have to give those surrounds a look. So for proper set up in adding the 1400 sub as a compliment to the 2400 sub, do you think that I can just let Audessy XT32 take care of it or will this be something that will require me to buy REW?
I would never just let Audyssey "take care of it" but that's just me I don't trust it further than I can throw it. REW/omnimic is the best tool I have in my theater.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Yeah I have done that also. I just forget forgot to do that this morning. That is the problem, I forget!! I looked last night and said my delivery was today, now it is saying that delivery date cannot be processed at this time! I had a feeling as things are just screwed up here right now. Wait and see, story of my life.
That's why I've had the same sticky note plastered to the door for almost 8 months now I just take clear packaging tape and make sure its waterproof and leave the note there basically permanently.
beastaudio is offline  
post #29996 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,671
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 1248
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. I am itching to change something ... but honestly every time I listen to the system I can't imagine anything that would provide a significant improvement including EQ or amp changes. Since my amps are outside of the HT room, fan noise is not an issue and the cheap Behringers are doing the job.

Next upgrade will be to 4K video and that looks to be a couple of years away.
If you are so happy with the audio setup, you could just bank the money and make sure you can get a killer 4k setup.
Do you have an anamorphic lens? (I never noticed in the pics of your room)
No lens setup, just 138" 16:9 screen and black bars on scope material and I'm OK with that.
RMK! is offline  
post #29997 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,456
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 322
^I have the exact same screen size. Don't mind upper and lower horizontal bars but can't stand vertical bars left and right but with 16:9 and my projector I never get that unless watching some non HD dishy network station. That also never happens. . Everyone's OCD is different.
lbrown105 is offline  
post #29998 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 05:13 PM
Senior Member
 
rjh65@verizon.ne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
In most cases, provided that you have enough power, subtle differences (typically measured at 1db or less) between amps are completely corrected by room EQ. There are times where DSP in the amp can be useful, but if you have something else in the chain that can do the same processing, there is no benefit.

That said, when I did careful comparisons between amps that I had on hand, here's what I found:
Parasound A51 vs JC1: Subtle differences in tone that completely vanished when room EQ was added.
Parasound A51 vs Hypex NC400: Subtle differences in tone that vanished when room EQ was added, but NC400 still sounded a bit edgy while A51 sounded smooth, even after EQ. I preferred the A51 with my JTRs, but I preferred the NC400s with my previous dome speakers.

So, based on my experience with this, I'd say that JTRs like amps with smooth and extended high frequencies (assuming you can still hear them). With class-D amps with lower switching frequencies, the difference might be audible on JTR models with the coax.

Fan noise IS a real issue, they will be in the same room with you. One of the biggest advantages of getting HE speakers like JTRs is increased dynamic range. In order to achieve that, you want high output capability and the lowest possible noise floor. It's worth pursuing a low noise floor to maximize the dynamics.
For me, this is invaluable information as a potential 215RT owner. I LOVE my Orbit shifter and the 215RT is an itch that I am dying to scratch so that's why this feedback is so great.Sounds like a pro style amp (or class D for that matter), while still sounding great may not be the best option for an extremely smooth upper frequency if cranking which I do every weekend. Other issue though is the pro amps do offer EXTREME watts and on an inexpensive watt per dollar basis to run the 15" woofers do great levels so where do you trade off at. Wondering if the A51 had enough juice to drive the 15's to great levels of bass.
rjh65@verizon.ne is offline  
post #29999 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post
For me, this is invaluable information as a potential 215RT owner. I LOVE my Orbit shifter and the 215RT is an itch that I am dying to scratch so that's why this feedback is so great.Sounds like a pro style amp (or class D for that matter), while still sounding great may not be the best option for an extremely smooth upper frequency if cranking which I do every weekend. Other issue though is the pro amps do offer EXTREME watts and on an inexpensive watt per dollar basis to run the 15" woofers do great levels so where do you trade off at. Wondering if the A51 had enough juice to drive the 15's to great levels of bass.
To be clear, I have 212s, not a 215.
All I can tell you is that the A51 gives plenty of power to 212s.
Also, nobody in this forum has really corroborated my preference of a high bias class A amp over a class D amp on JTRs.
In fact, there have been a number of 215 owners who felt that a pro high power amp was really beneficial on their 215s.

All that said, I liked the A51 with the 212s quite a bit more than the NC400s, even after room EQ.

I also liked the 212s MUCH more after fine tuning with Dirac. In fact, Dirac made a bigger improvement than the amp.

Anyway, to describe the difference more...
JTRs put out flat treble.
If the treble is harsh, it can be irritating if you don't roll it off.
If the treble is smooth, the treble isn't irritating...just clear and live sounding.
That was the A51 vs the NC400 to me, even after room correction to the same target curve, which normally made all amps sound the same.

A class D with a higher switching frequency than the NC400s might be able to sound identical to the class ABs on JTRs.

If I were to start from scratch with 215s, I think I would try Emotiva XPA-1s & an XMC-1. Emotiva has their summer sale going on (on top of those club discounts). The XPA-1 has lots of power and is high bias class AB. It may not sound exactly like the A51s, but I bet it would after some Dirac magic. Also, no fans!

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-1

The XPRs are switching amps, so following these theories, XPAs would be preferable.

Last edited by rcohen; 06-25-2015 at 06:05 PM.
rcohen is offline  
post #30000 of 35378 Old 06-25-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
No lens setup, just 138" 16:9 screen and black bars on scope material and I'm OK with that.
If you're looking at a Sony projector, they actually do better without lenses.
rcohen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off