Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1006 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7124Likes

Old 07-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Does anybody know of a site that sells speaker stands for big speakers, like a center channel. I am looking for ideas for my 215RM. I really did not take an account to how big this speaker is. I mean I knew it was big on account to my RT's, but it makes my 228 look like a cork. I am not sure if I am going to just leave it on the floor and tilt it or bring it up closer to ear level. I have been looking, but I don't see anything.

Here's what I did for a center stand. I bought 4 cement blocks from Lowes (maybe $8?), wrapped them in black felt from Joanne, and then purchased a pair of these when they were on sale for i think $40. I angled them up as high as I could to get ear level:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

So in total it was probably about $60, and I can always increase the height just by adding on more cement blocks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	center stand.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	814578  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2015, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Your money is no good here, just pay for shipping and we'll call it even.

Now... to figure out how to ship it... I'll talk to you and we'll figure it out.
uship.com can be good for this kind of stuff.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
Here's what I did for a center stand. I bought 4 cement blocks from Lowes (maybe $8?), wrapped them in black felt from Joanne, and then purchased a pair of these when they were on sale for i think $40. I angled them up as high as I could to get ear level:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

So in total it was probably about $60, and I can always increase the height just by adding on more cement blocks
I've had good luck with this approach. Cheap and very solid, if you're not looking for something fancy.

Edit: ...although I used velvet, instead of felt.

Last edited by rcohen; 07-05-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
I've had good luck with this approach. Cheap and very solid, if you're not looking for something fancy.
Yea something about cement blocks as speaker stands for JTR Speakers (aka mini fridges) just sounds right

FTW21 Ported Build
Volt 10 build
I miss Giants baseball!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 143
The cement block idea would would be the easiest / cheapest. If you want exact dimensions, you can build one from 2x4s and then cover it with cloth.. I did that with my triple 12LFs which is heavier / bigger than the 212HTs.

Cost was around $20 + the cost of the fabric.

Quote:
Does anybody know of a site that sells speaker stands for big speakers, like a center channel. I am looking for ideas for my 215RM. I really did not take an account to how big this speaker is. I mean I knew it was big on account to my RT's, but it makes my 228 look like a cork. I am not sure if I am going to just leave it on the floor and tilt it or bring it up closer to ear level. I have been looking, but I don't see anything.

My home theater
Speakers: 3 JTR 212HTR (LCR), 2 Jtr Single 8LP (S), 2 JTR Triple 12LF (SB)) , 4 Volt 10LX (Atmos)
Subwoofers: 4 Rythmik FV15HP , 5 Crowson Shadow 8 transducers, 3 Buttkicker LFE
Display: JVC RS400
FS: 4xRythmik FV15HP

Last edited by ahmedreda; 07-06-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Your money is no good here, just pay for shipping and we'll call it even.

Now... to figure out how to ship it... I'll talk to you and we'll figure it out.
You are a good dude Sheldon, but I would have to give something. I want to see if it works. I like the looks of it. I was looking at it last night in your thread.
I actually looked at it last week as I remembered you did a horizontal 212HT.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 400
For those that get the upgraditus itch...or rash in some cases...

New Upgrades for OS LFU, S1, and S2...

...and I don't get what Jeff means by 'more output' and 'less distortion'..makes no sense...I thought we were already at extremes of both

Old 07-06-2015, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hello all, more than likely going to purchase the 215RT's but am trying to get clarity in my head so i understand what i will need to purchase. I will probably be selling my Orbit Shifter and strictly be using the 215RTs for all of the bass duties (along with a 215RM as a center channel). I don't own an HTPC and would rather not use the DSP in an iNuke pro-amp or an expensive outboard processor. Looking at using a bridged Crown XLS2000 or XLS2500 per 215RT for power, my concern is since the 215RT will be providing all of the bass duties how do I boost the bass levels in the speakers? Since I will not be using the above equipment what is the best way to accomplish this inexpensively but still sound great? MiniDSP? If so, what model would work best? Any help with this question with some options would be great.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post
Hello all, more than likely going to purchase the 215RT's but am trying to get clarity in my head so i understand what i will need to purchase. I will probably be selling my Orbit Shifter and strictly be using the 215RTs for all of the bass duties (along with a 215RM as a center channel). I don't own an HTPC and would rather not use the DSP in an iNuke pro-amp or an expensive outboard processor. Looking at using a bridged Crown XLS2000 or XLS2500 per 215RT for power, my concern is since the 215RT will be providing all of the bass duties how do I boost the bass levels in the speakers? Since I will not be using the above equipment what is the best way to accomplish this inexpensively but still sound great? MiniDSP? If so, what model would work best? Any help with this question with some options would be great.

You could get the mini that has 2 inputs and 4 outputs.

All you need is a laptop with usb to use the inuke dsp, so I wouldn't rule out that possibility since you would save a lot of money.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 926
QSC GXD models are new and have full DSP, like the iNuke's they can provide the flexibility to dial in the speakers. Crown XTI's are also a good solution.

Is there an audible difference between Behringer, QSC, and crown? I guess that is up to the listener and environment. Crown is least likely to require a fan modification if located within 15' of the listener. My fan modded QSC is louder than a stock XLS, but I didn't use the quietest fan as it is being ran bridged on an 18" subwoofer.

Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html[/B]
Old 07-07-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
You could get the mini that has 2 inputs and 4 outputs.

All you need is a laptop with usb to use the inuke dsp, so I wouldn't rule out that possibility since you would save a lot of money.
I think I have looked away from the inuke just because i have read so many positive reviews on the Crown XLS series SQ wise and the fan is so quite (I demoed an XLS2500 for 2 weeks). I think also because eventually, once finances permit, I would like to get the D-sonic 1500W x3 amp so the pro-amps would get me the necessary watts and inexpensively until I could afford the D-sonic. I read somewhere that someone has a D-sonic and the pro amp sounded just as good.
countryWV likes this.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
QSC GXD models are new and have full DSP, like the iNuke's they can provide the flexibility to dial in the speakers. Crown XTI's are also a good solution.

Is there an audible difference between Behringer, QSC, and crown? I guess that is up to the listener and environment. Crown is least likely to require a fan modification if located within 15' of the listener. My fan modded QSC is louder than a stock XLS, but I didn't use the quietest fan as it is being ran bridged on an 18" subwoofer.
The XTI takes a big step up money wise for a louder fan and the same SQ as the XLS (per Harman tech), i will have to take a look at the QSC, if I remember these also jump up pretty significantly in price, probably similar to the Crown XTI. Sounds like the inuke with the DSP is the most cost effective way to go.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
The XTI takes a big step up money wise for a louder fan and the same SQ as the XLS (per Harman tech), i will have to take a look at the QSC, if I remember these also jump up pretty significantly in price, probably similar to the Crown XTI. Sounds like the inuke with the DSP is the most cost effective way to go.

I have the XTI2002, XTI4002, and several XLS2000's. The fans on any one of these amps do not turn on unless they are under a heavy load. Once playing that loud there's no way the fans can be heard. Even when on the fans are about the same sound level.
I can't vouch fully for sound quality since I have never A-B'd them to each other but I've never had an issue with either one of them.
quizzicus likes this.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The XLS' s are getting pretty inexpensive with the upcoming release of the Series II models. Coupled with a miniDSP - or dbx - would offer a lot of value (especially if you plan to go with D-Sonic when funds allow as they lack DSP).
HTPCat likes this.

Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
Old 07-07-2015, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The wife doesn't know what to make of the new sofa table...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	os.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	818026  
carp, lz7j, rhed and 7 others like this.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by laeriq View Post
The wife doesn't know what to make of the new sofa table...

Is that dual pros?
Old 07-08-2015, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Is that dual pros?
Yup. Picked up a pro system from a guy getting out of the business. Two Triple 12x's, amps, and those bad boys. Hopefully get them set up tonight and rock something.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by laeriq View Post
Yup. Picked up a pro system from a guy getting out of the business. Two Triple 12x's, amps, and those bad boys. Hopefully get them set up tonight and rock something.

Wow congrats! Post up some reviews if your house doesn't fall down on you!
Old 07-08-2015, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
I have a pair of XTI 4002's on a pair of Captivators.
MLP is 8 ft from amps.
Fan noise has never been an issue.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post
I have the XTI2002, XTI4002, and several XLS2000's. The fans on any one of these amps do not turn on unless they are under a heavy load. Once playing that loud there's no way the fans can be heard. Even when on the fans are about the same sound level.
I can't vouch fully for sound quality since I have never A-B'd them to each other but I've never had an issue with either one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by staaled View Post
MLP is 8 ft from amps.
Nice to see reports from actual XTI owners, if they are as quiet as the XLS amps I may have to look into them for the DSP.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:04 PM

So uh... dual OS Pro's are a little intense. I'm running these behind my sofa with four sealed 18's in the front of the room... I ran XT32, threw a hpf of 35 on the OS's, threw a lpf of 60 on the sealed... here's the result. Obviously a huge peak in the 45-55 range but not too bad everywhere else. I'm sitting here watching one of the reference discs... wow. I need to do a lot more fine tuning, but so far these are awfully impressive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7-8-15 after OS try 1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	820170  
Old 07-08-2015, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
The chest slam/punch has to be insane!!
Old 07-08-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
The chest slam/punch has to be insane!!
Yeah the sofa has turned into a massage chair. Going to pop in Jupiter ascending and release the brain for a couple hours. The wife is giving me sideways looks 😈
carp and lbrown105 like this.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
MLP is 8 ft from amps.
Thank you, i will have to take a closer look at these as well. Hopefully these are discounted heavily but from what i remember they take a significant jump up cost wise.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Thank you, i will have to take a closer look at these as well. Hopefully these are discounted heavily but from what i remember they take a significant jump up cost wise.
Significant over a xls1500

Nabs17
Old 07-09-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
I needed the DSP.
And they do feel and look a lot sturdier compared to XLS.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:11 PM

No new posts since yesterday.
Is my word final ?

Not much going on in my system last 12 months or so.
I did get a nano avr , but it is still boxed.
Just enjoying the current setup is too inviting.

Linn has introduced room optimisation for DS players,
so I could tame 855 and 125 Hz peaks which were present in stereo playback.
Nice improvement.
One has to choose a speaker though for it to work , so I chose Linns
klimax 350.
And sent a request to Linn for JTRs addition to the list.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
No new posts since yesterday.
Is my word final ?

Not much going on in my system last 12 months or so.
I did get a nano avr , but it is still boxed.
Just enjoying the current setup is too inviting.

Linn has introduced room optimisation for DS players,
so I could tame 855 and 125 Hz peaks which were present in stereo playback.
Nice improvement.
One has to choose a speaker though for it to work , so I chose Linns
klimax 350.
And sent a request to Linn for JTRs addition to the list.
What is you're current system?

I am at some point going to get the Mini DSP with Dirac DDRC-88A, I mean I would get it now, but I have not been in my theater for 2+ weeks, so mine would most likely be in a box like yours. Hopefully this weekend I can get my system finally tuned up. I could really use a week off right about now, I could get everything I need to get done, DONE!
Old 07-11-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
What is you're current system?

I am at some point going to get the Mini DSP with Dirac DDRC-88A, I mean I would get it now, but I have not been in my theater for 2+ weeks, so mine would most likely be in a box like yours. Hopefully this weekend I can get my system finally tuned up. I could really use a week off right about now, I could get everything I need to get done, DONE!
I hope you will find the time to do so.
And then enjoy the result.

For HT :
Oppo 103 , Marantz 8801, Lyngdorf amplifiers (SDA2175 and TDAi2200)
212HT LP's ( LCR) 228's (LS/RS)
2 Captivators ( Crown XTI 4002 amplifiers, bridge mode)

Stereo:
Linn DS/ Transrotor Fat Bob S
Lyngdorf amplifier ( does double duty stereo/HT on speakers listed above)
212 HT LP's
2 Captivators ( Crown XTI 4002 amplifiers, bridge mode)

The nano avr I will use to see if it can improve on XT32.
And eventually get the Dirac license to compare it to XT32.
RMK! likes this.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Ive been around here long enough to know I wasted a bunch of money on crap, now that I have triple 12s those days are done, . my question is do I spend more on the amps or the pre processor. I see qsc, crown, and behringer used frequently. ill be getting amps first as I have pre outs on my avr and can use immediately. curious as to what everyone else is using, pro vs commercial offerings. i have 3k budgeted for now and would like to not exceed that as the wife was buggin out a bit about the size of these speakers, she has quieted down, like to keep it that way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis