Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1007 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #30181 of 30207 Unread Today, 09:45 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I believe that John Wick has moved into my top 5 movies of all time now, or maybe I will put it in 6th place. The thing I like about it is that it has a bit of pulp fiction to it. Not to mention non stop action. Just a guys movie, because my wife hated it and I have heard that other women hate it also. I have to say that one of the highlights of the KC trip was Carps room and the John Wick demo! Jonathan also had a loop going of Batman and the GE M134 Minigun ballistic test scene with near fields and Crowson's. Good stuff!
My wife "normally" does not like movies with lots of violence but there are exceptions and John Wick is one.
Reefdvr27 likes this.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30182 of 30207 Unread Today, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Without looking (no cheating!!) how many bad guys do you think John Wick kills? We were placing our bets the other night after the movie was over. I didn't guess high enough.
post #30183 of 30207 Unread Today, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Well it depends on whether you are trying to level match or gain match really. Right now you seem to want to gain match, so yes, you are doing it right, but with the two drastically different styles of systems, I would go more for making sure AVR sub trims are around the same, and level match using the speakerpower amps. That way you are sending them the same voltage out of the AVR. Just make sure you don't go into the positive territory on the sub-out from the avr or you could stand to clip the input of the speakerpower.
Cool...gain match set then...that eliminates one factor and I'll keep that a constant.

The AVR sub trim is where there's such a huge difference and I'm trying to understand what's the technical reasons behind it...as to why there would be almost a 12db difference in trim level to sound similar as far as output/impact, at least to my ears...right now it seems type, cabinet size, placement for smoothest freq response of the subs are the largest factors (that last one is a lot harder due to the sizes of both, so I'm extremely limited here), but I'd love to understand how the drivers/dsp/etc causes one to perform differently than the other with that sub trim diff.

I also realize that to test both objectively...we'd have to take both subs outdoors. This would be fun and quite a learning experience if we had at least 4 guys to help move these refrigerators. Otherwise, I'm truly only testing to see what sounds best to my ears and more importantly, in my room.

---------------------------------------------------------------
current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #30184 of 30207 Unread Today, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Without looking (no cheating!!) how many bad guys do you think John Wick kills? We were placing our bets the other night after the movie was over. I didn't guess high enough.
30?
post #30185 of 30207 Unread Today, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
37?

current gear: lcr JTR 212HT ~ quad JTR 8LP ~ dual JTR Orbit Shifters LFU ~ Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #30186 of 30207 Unread Today, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 438
43!

post #30187 of 30207 Unread Today, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 904
I guessed 50. One of the other guys looked it up and it's 77! 13 just in the scene at his house even though he tells the clean up crew that there is 12.
post #30188 of 30207 Unread Today, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Cool...gain match set then...that eliminates one factor and I'll keep that a constant.
I don't understand from this comment what you are gain matching. Can you clarify?
post #30189 of 30207 Unread Today, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I guessed 50. One of the other guys looked it up and it's 77! 13 just in the scene at his house even though he tells the clean up crew that there is 12.
Notice that he didn't kill Tom Brady's ex-girlfriend? Not even John Wick messes with Tom Brady.
post #30190 of 30207 Unread Today, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
It's like a bakers dozen. Number 13 is free!
post #30191 of 30207 Unread Today, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was saying 37 just for the club kill

post #30192 of 30207 Unread Today, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I don't understand from this comment what you are gain matching. Can you clarify?
Setting the gain equally on both sub amps...since both subs have speakerpower 4kw.

post #30193 of 30207 Unread Today, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Nothing better than the Fed Ex freight truck out front dropping off a new JTR speaker! It's funny, I am getting to know these drivers. He hung out with me for a half-hour!

Anyway, I would like to (Unofficially) introduce the newest member of the family.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	802842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	802850  
post #30194 of 30207 Unread Today, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Setting the gain equally on both sub amps...since both subs have speakerpower 4kw.
That is what I thought you meant. You must not have understood what Mark Seaton said - "Stated for clarity... The volume dial has no correlation to output level or power between these 2 subs." The output of the amps are different and can't be gain matched by using the same settings. As said by SpeakerPower, "The sensitivity of the SpeakerPower amps can be changed by the DSP configuration loaded into it." Just because the amps say "SpeakerPower" doesn't have anything to do with the gain settings. Just think of them as two completely different amps and you will be ok.

BeastAudio said to leave the gain the same on the receiver so both amps get the same voltage and then level match using the gain controls on the amps. I agree.
post #30195 of 30207 Unread Today, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Nothing better than the Fed Ex freight truck out front dropping off a new JTR speaker! It's funny, I am getting to know these drivers. He hung out with me for a half-hour!

Anyway, I would like to (Unofficially) introduce the newest member of the family.
Glad to see you finally got the RM!
Did the tires on that lift both blow? =)
Cute puppy by the way!
post #30196 of 30207 Unread Today, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Glad to see you finally got the RM!
Did the tires on that lift both blow? =)
Cute puppy by the way!
Haha those wheels were squatting a bit. I think it is 220lbs. No different than anything thing else in the house. The funny thing is the RM came in last Wednesday, but I did not realize that it was freight. I thought he would just ship it Fed Ex ground. They could not even get ahold of me as they did not have a contact number. They were looking for me for a few days lol. I found this all out of Friday, so I had to wait the whole weekend. I was wondering why it was just stalled at the shipping center. I don't know why they just did not send me an email as they sent me a tracking number? Oh well so be it. Now it is time to play!

Yeah that is our puppy. He is a Shih Tzu. Great dog, but he really thinks he is the boss.
post #30197 of 30207 Unread Today, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:

Congrats...I know you've been waiting for a little bit.....enjoy.
Reefdvr27 likes this.

Nabs17
post #30198 of 30207 Unread Today, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
70ish

Nabs17
post #30199 of 30207 Unread Today, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

Awesome! Congrats Dave. Anxious to hear your thoughts once you get it integrated with the L&R.
Reefdvr27 likes this.
post #30200 of 30207 Unread Today, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Party at Dave's!!!! . .
Reefdvr27 likes this.

post #30201 of 30207 Unread Today, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is what I thought you meant. You must not have understood what Mark Seaton said - "Stated for clarity... The volume dial has no correlation to output level or power between these 2 subs." The output of the amps are different and can't be gain matched by using the same settings. As said by SpeakerPower, "The sensitivity of the SpeakerPower amps can be changed by the DSP configuration loaded into it." Just because the amps say "SpeakerPower" doesn't have anything to do with the gain settings. Just think of them as two completely different amps and you will be ok.

BeastAudio said to leave the gain the same on the receiver so both amps get the same voltage and then level match using the gain controls on the amps. I agree.
When Mark said "Volume Dial" I thought he meant main volume...not the gain level on the sub amp. I understand that the dsp being programmed differently on each amp will affect voltage...thanks...seems there is no real constant and just have to take edumacated guesses by ear or use REW.

post #30202 of 30207 Unread Today, 03:58 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:

Enough ...

BTW, one of the best lines in the movie.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
post #30203 of 30207 Unread Today, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
70ish
Just saw you had already posted the answer after my reply but I was close.

Nabs17
post #30204 of 30207 Unread Today, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:

Are the RM's delivered on a pallet or box?

Edit - I see you said freight so I guess it was a pallet.
post #30205 of 30207 Unread Today, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Are the RM's delivered on a pallet or box?

Edit - I see you said freight so I guess it was a pallet.
Yep it came freight on a pallet. However it was not strapped to the pallet. The driver strapped it to the side of the truck with his locking straps. He told me it probably was not best to ship it freight because it would get banged around and I just laughed inside. He does not know that speaker is indestructible, I had no doubt there was anything wrong with it. Took me 15 minutes to unwrap it! A layer of foam and 12 layers of plastic wrap, black and clear. Not a mark on it. Also Pulled the foam out of the phase plug!! The phase plug is pretty cool. I am interested to see how it performs next to the RT's with the older CDs. I will say that it sounds clear.

I had a few minutes as I have been busy as he!! today with the holiday and work, but I hooked it up, ran the John Wick club scene and instantly could tell a difference vs the 228. On a sad note I am having problems with my new Denon X7200WA. I am losing sound and getting popping between switching scenes. I also level matched everything to 75db last night and tonight everything was at 60db? Really sucks, I have about an hour on the unit and it is FUBARED already. I am going to call Denon tomorrow and see what I can do. Maybe reset the microprocessor? Worth a shot. See what they say.
post #30206 of 30207 Unread Today, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Yep it came freight on a pallet. However it was not strapped to the pallet. The driver strapped it to the side of the truck with his locking straps. He told me it probably was not best to ship it freight because it would get banged around and I just laughed inside. He does not know that speaker is indestructible, I had no doubt there was anything wrong with it. Took me 15 minutes to unwrap it! A layer of foam and 12 layers of plastic wrap, black and clear. Not a mark on it. Also Pulled the foam out of the phase plug!! The phase plug is pretty cool. I am interested to see how it performs next to the RT's with the older CDs. I will say that it sounds clear.

I had a few minutes as I have been busy as he!! today with the holiday and work, but I hooked it up, ran the John Wick club scene and instantly could tell a difference vs the 228. On a sad note I am having problems with my new Denon X7200WA. I am losing sound and getting popping between switching scenes. I also level matched everything to 75db last night and tonight everything was at 60db? Really sucks, I have about an hour on the unit and it is FUBARED already. I am going to call Denon tomorrow and see what I can do. Maybe reset the microprocessor? Worth a shot. See what they say.
Microprocessor reset might work. I have had to do it a number of times on my 4520.
post #30207 of 30207 Unread Today, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Notice that he didn't kill Tom Brady's ex-girlfriend? Not even John Wick messes with Tom Brady.
Even John Wick's balls are not as inflated as Tom Brady's

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page