Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1008 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #30211 of 30230 Old 06-30-2015, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I have a question Im hoping someone can help me understand.

I was watching enders game today (as an example) and noticed the bottom light on either side of both gain knobs on my Inuke 6000 were lighting up yellow when loud bass was playing.
I was listening at -5 when I noticed this, so I turned it down and played the scene again with it at -15 the lights lit up exactly the same time and length.
I also tried turning the gain knobs down but that also did nothing for the light.

Does anyone know what this means on the Inuke? Seems like it is clipping, but the manual doesn't really explain this more than to say the whole range of lights are to indicate clipping.
The gain knobs are at about 1:00.
So is 1 light bad? It lit up for about 1 second solid during the scene.
This seems like its clipping but I thought (I assume Im wrong here based on the evidence) if the main volume or gain knobs were lowered the clipping would stop, however replaying the scene at various volumes/gain levels resulted in the same light pattern.

Based on listening distance and calibrated volume I should be using less than 100 watts at peak during that time.(I could be wrong was using Crowns calculator.)

Anyone have any insight to offer me here, I want to make sure Im not clipping and doing any harm here.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30212 of 30230 Old 06-30-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
I have a question Im hoping someone can help me understand.

I was watching enders game today (as an example) and noticed the bottom light on either side of both gain knobs on my Inuke 6000 were lighting up yellow when loud bass was playing.
I was listening at -5 when I noticed this, so I turned it down and played the scene again with it at -15 the lights lit up exactly the same time and length.
I also tried turning the gain knobs down but that also did nothing for the light.

Does anyone know what this means on the Inuke? Seems like it is clipping, but the manual doesn't really explain this more than to say the whole range of lights are to indicate clipping.
The gain knobs are at about 1:00.
So is 1 light bad? It lit up for about 1 second solid during the scene.
This seems like its clipping but I thought (I assume Im wrong here based on the evidence) if the main volume or gain knobs were lowered the clipping would stop, however replaying the scene at various volumes/gain levels resulted in the same light pattern.

Based on listening distance and calibrated volume I should be using less than 100 watts at peak during that time.(I could be wrong was using Crowns calculator.)

Anyone have any insight to offer me here, I want to make sure Im not clipping and doing any harm here.

Thanks everyone!
The bottom light indicates the amp is getting a signal. The stronger the signal, the more lights will light up. When the top red LIMIT LED lights up continuously, then you have clipping.
post #30213 of 30230 Old 06-30-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
The bottom light indicates the amp is getting a signal. The stronger the signal, the more lights will light up. When the top red LIMIT LED lights up continuously, then you have clipping.
Ahh Thanks DD, I was hopping I didn't have something setup totally wrong.
post #30214 of 30230 Old 06-30-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Ahh Thanks DD, I was hopping I didn't have something setup totally wrong.
How are you speakers levels? At what level are they +1, -5 etc.. You want to get them as close to 0 as you can. Where are your attenuators set at on the inuke. 12 o'clock? Are you level matched at 75db? One light is not bad, red lights are bad!
post #30215 of 30230 Old 06-30-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
How are you speakers levels? At what level are they +1, -5 etc.. You want to get them as close to 0 as you can. Where are your attenuators set at on the inuke. 12 o'clock? Are you level matched at 75db? One light is not bad, red lights are bad!
Doing my 1st calibration today I was at -5.5 on the RT's.
Im going to do another and try to get as close to 0 as possible. (I was guessing that is what the desired result was but didnt know for sure. So you read my mind!)

Thanks for the input Reef!
Reefdvr27 likes this.
post #30216 of 30230 Old 06-30-2015, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Doing my 1st calibration today I was at -5.5 on the RT's.
Im going to do another and try to get as close to 0 as possible. (I was guessing that is what the desired result was but didnt know for sure. So you read my mind!)

Thanks for the input Reef!
My RT's are at 0.0 and my RM is +1.0. All 4 of my S8's are at -2.5. I'm using Crown XLS 1500's and for the 215's the gain is at 12:00 and for the S8's its at 3:00. I'm using a Yamaha CX-A5000 so no Audyssey.

Nabs17
post #30217 of 30230 Old 06-30-2015, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
My RT's are at 0.0 and my RM is +1.0. All 4 of my S8's are at -2.5. I'm using Crown XLS 1500's and for the 215's the gain is at 12:00 and for the S8's its at 3:00. I'm using a Yamaha CX-A5000 so no Audyssey.
I am having issues with my new processor, but my readings were all like around +5. When I set up with my 4520, Everything was very close to 0. I have some work to do. I just reset my microprocessor, but I need to get out there and start tuning.
post #30218 of 30230 Old 06-30-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Even John Wick's balls are not as inflated as Tom Brady's
Nothing for a bad pun for over inflated balls? C'mon guys where has the humor go e I this thread? Complaining about sh$t components? C'mon, we are better than that. We are JTR owners!
carp and countryWV like this.
post #30219 of 30230 Old 06-30-2015, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Even John Wick's balls are not as inflated as Tom Brady's
Nothing for a bad pun for over inflated balls? C'mon guys where has the humor gone in this thread? Complaining about sh$t components? C'mon, we are better than that. We are JTR owners!
post #30220 of 30230 Old Yesterday, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Nothing for a bad pun for over inflated balls? C'mon guys where has the humor gone in this thread? Complaining about sh$t components? C'mon, we are better than that. We are JTR owners!
You have it backwards, Tom Brady prefers Deflated balls to bolster his Inflated Ego.

Deflated balls or Inflated ego Tom Brady is still the best quarterback in the NFL and the Patriots are the reigning Superbowl Champions.
Modicen, nash23 and lbrown105 like this.

Chris

For Sale: LCR X 3 2012 JTR Triple 12 Excellent condition
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iple-12-a.html
post #30221 of 30230 Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Quote:
I am having issues with my new processor, but my readings were all like around +5. When I set up with my 4520, Everything was very close to 0. I have some work to do. I just reset my microprocessor, but I need to get out there and start tuning.

Not sure why you both are shooting for 0 level settings on your AVR/SSP. If I set my levels to 0 I would have approx. 85db test tones from my processor. There's really nothing wrong with that as theoretical reference would then be -10db but I just prefer having 0 MV as the reference level on my system.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
post #30222 of 30230 Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Not sure why you both are shooting for 0 level settings on your AVR/SSP. If I set my levels to 0 I would have approx. 85db test tones from my processor. There's really nothing wrong with that as theoretical reference would then be -10db but I just prefer having 0 MV as the reference level on my system.
I wasn't shooting for zero but that's where I am. I can tell you when I had the gains on the Crowns at max the system was way out of balance....-15 was seriously loud. Now it's a better overall balance and it just so happens I'm at 0 with the RT's. So I guess you could say -15 was reference with that gain setting.

Nabs17
post #30223 of 30230 Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Out of curiosity, Rob, what levels does your marantz set your 215's?

Nabs17
post #30224 of 30230 Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Out of curiosity, Rob, what levels does your marantz set your 215's?

Approximately -8db for a 75db test tone with the gains on my amps also in the middle (12 o'clock settings).

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
post #30225 of 30230 Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Greetings,

I have been trying to get in touch with J.P. I've called, I've written, and no response.

Anyone have any ideas about how or when is the best way or time to get with him?

Thanks.

- s.west

"That's not what he said, y'ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English."
post #30226 of 30230 Old Today, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
The lower the attenuators are on my inuke the lower the hiss coming from the 215's when nothing is playing.
Ideally I would turn them all the way down, but then the AVR is at +7 or 8.
I ASSume, that if the AVR is boosting the signal to +7 or +8 there is less headroom? (big assumption here)
post #30227 of 30230 Old Today, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by swest View Post
Greetings,

I have been trying to get in touch with J.P. I've called, I've written, and no response.

Anyone have any ideas about how or when is the best way or time to get with him?

Thanks.

- s.west
Calling is always the fastest way so if its important keep it up. Over the past 4 years I have never had an E-mail Jeff did not respond to but it has taken up to a week.

Chris

For Sale: LCR X 3 2012 JTR Triple 12 Excellent condition
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iple-12-a.html
post #30228 of 30230 Old Today, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
I am on a concrete floor, but it is not a slab! It is over a cinderblock foundation and backfilled and poured over top. I think the floor is 4" of crete. Certianly gives the effect of a suspended wood floor. The room was originally a screened in porch, which we then decided to frame and became a summer room Bar/pool room. I then converted it to a theater. The rest of my home is a wood suspended floor. I could not believe the impact at the seats!

I was listening at -10 and -5. I have been in many theaters and I feel that I am getting as much or more bass than theaters with 8 and 10 subs. I know it is because of the size of the room, but certainly the 215's are just amazing and the DSP really does wonders! I cannot wait to hook up the RM today and do that scene over again and see what I gain. I am going to do some measurements today and do a before and after!

Here is a pic of the foundation. You can see the slab at the top. I had these pics on hand, sorry for the Inverter in the way!

Is that a mini split system I spy? How you liking it and what's the btu to cubic foot ratio you got going?
post #30229 of 30230 Old Today, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Is that a mini split system I spy? How you liking it and what's the btu to cubic foot ratio you got going?
Yes sir! Great unit. My AC guy has never steered me wrong and made me buy the Samsung as I wanted the Fujitsu. Considering the room does not have a crawl and it is a raised concrete slab and backfilled with dirt, my options were limited as to what I could do for HVAC without damage control and lots of money so I went with the mini split. I never really read the book, but I just turn it on and cold air comes out LOL. That's about the best I can tell you. Joking aside, it puts out heat well down into the teens in the winter. I know there were a couple of cold nights and it just spit out the heat. It is said that the heat pumps don't work under 30 degrees, but I have to disagree as it has done well below 15 degrees. I seen videos on you tube of them putting out heat down to -12 outside. It also has a quiet setting and that is what I use when watching a movie. You cannot hear the thing running at all in quiet mode. The room is 16LXW14XH7.5 and it has no problem cooling the room. Could cool much more! I know in our beach rental units, the homes were all converted to mini splits a few years ago. The homes are 3 floors and there is one on each floor and they do really well. Howeer the bedroom floors have mixed in central air. Don't ask me a family member did it that is a steam fitter/plumber. They are Fujitsu's.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; Today at 04:49 PM.
post #30230 of 30230 Old Today, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Our house in Cambodia had mini-split systems all over, you could get a room down to about 60 degrees if you wanted. If they can work well there, there is no where in the US they would struggle to cool.

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com