Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1009 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #30241 of 30261 Old 07-04-2015, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I have a panamax 5400. I think I paid $500 for it at Crutchfield. I put everything into it except for my amps. As it is said not to plug your amps into them. On a side note, I am in the process of buying a complete home generator. I am getting a natural gas unit. I think there is a 5 second delay if there is interruption. Me an my wife really talked about this and living in a Hurricane zone and with the recent power outages that surrounded us, we have decided we are going to do it. I am going to have a blast when the power is out for a day or two here and my neighbors hear my bass. Going to love every minute of that!
I just recently sold my power generation company, or I would send my guys over to do the install for you. I was a dealer for Generac, Kohler, and Cummins Onan, so if you have any questions let me know I can probably steer you in the right direction. I know the differences between the brands very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30242 of 30261 Old 07-04-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I just recently sold my power generation company, or I would send my guys over to do the install for you. I was a dealer for Generac, Kohler, and Cummins Onan, so if you have any questions let me know I can probably steer you in the right direction. I know the differences between the brands very well.
Do you know anything about Corbin? I was dealing with Home Depot. Corbin is the company that does it for Home Depot. I am planning on going with a Generac NG. I wish you would have said something, I would have done this years ago if I knew you were involved with generators.
post #30243 of 30261 Old 07-04-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Do you know anything about Corbin? I was dealing with Home Depot. Corbin is the company that does it for Home Depot. I am planning on going with a Generac NG. I wish you would have said something, I would have done this years ago if I knew you were involved with generators.
Yeah, I typically don't talk about my businesses around here. I'm not telling you not to go with Home Depot, all I'll say is I've had to shake my head many times at the craftsmanship of the jobs I've seen done through Home Depot. Amazing they pass inspections, but it's been a free for all since Sandy and many inspectors will slap a sticker on anything.

The problem is the low margins they're operating under dealing with Home Depot. It's all about volume and slapping them in as fast as possible. It really depends on your tolerance for poor workmanship vs. price. They're cheap, that's for sure. I didn't even bother trying to compete in that space. No way I could put my name on work like that. But I was more money and sometimes that's all some folks are worried about.

Nothing wrong with Generac generators though. I would just think twice about a high volume, low margin installer though.

Just my 2c.
post #30244 of 30261 Old 07-04-2015, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 91
You also need to talk to your power company. For instance, where I'm at you cant install a generator that touches the power companies grid without using one of their approved ats's first.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #30245 of 30261 Old 07-04-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Yeah, I typically don't talk about my businesses around here. I'm not telling you not to go with Home Depot, all I'll say is I've had to shake my head many times at the craftsmanship of the jobs I've seen done through Home Depot. Amazing they pass inspections, but it's been a free for all since Sandy and many inspectors will slap a sticker on anything.

The problem is the low margins they're operating under dealing with Home Depot. It's all about volume and slapping them in as fast as possible. It really depends on your tolerance for poor workmanship vs. price. They're cheap, that's for sure. I didn't even bother trying to compete in that space. No way I could put my name on work like that. But I was more money and sometimes that's all some folks are worried about.

Nothing wrong with Generac generators though. I would just think twice about a high volume, low margin installer though.

Just my 2c.
Not to run this off course, but the only reason I had been going through HD was because I seen the units there and they said they installed them? I really have never seen any generator companies, especially living down here. If you know who I should call that is in my area or who will do the work, shoot me a PM or a text!
post #30246 of 30261 Old 07-04-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

post #30247 of 30261 Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All,

First time poster in this thread, but have been following it for a while. I am starting a build on a new theater with a goal of finishing it by the end of the year. I plan on going with the 228HT for the LCR. I plan on doing 7.2 with atmos.

Does anyone have any recommendations for surround speakers that would match up well with the 228HTs? I'm still working on my overall budget but I feel that getting four 8s would break it.

Also, what ceiling speakers would you all recommend for Atmos? I'd like to keep them under $500 each.
post #30248 of 30261 Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2121 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush85 View Post
Hey All,

First time poster in this thread, but have been following it for a while. I am starting a build on a new theater with a goal of finishing it by the end of the year. I plan on going with the 228HT for the LCR. I plan on doing 7.2 with atmos.

Does anyone have any recommendations for surround speakers that would match up well with the 228HTs? I'm still working on my overall budget but I feel that getting four 8s would break it.

Also, what ceiling speakers would you all recommend for Atmos? I'd like to keep them under $500 each.
I ran Reaction Audio's CX-8's with my 228HT's and they worked great together, forum member rboster used the CX-8's with his JTR T8's and really liked them also and forum member Ryanboston has two pairs of CX-8's running with his 228HT's again also really likes them. You could also take a look at the DIYsoundgroup's Volt series speakers.

http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/...iant=922786669
post #30249 of 30261 Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush85 View Post
Hey All,

Reaction Audio CX-8s have been getting good reviews & I have heard some people going with JBL pro stuff like SCS 8 or the 8340a. I considered all of these, but in the end I went with JTR slanted 8 and I am glad I did .
RMK! and rhed like this.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #30250 of 30261 Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Hi all, Ive followed the JTR thread for a while, always wanted set but didn't think it would happen. I purchased dholmes triple 12's and felt I got a good deal. After getting them set up and running audyssey I realize I got a smoking deal on these and almost feel guilty, keyword there is almost. Stoked I have something to build my HT off of and hopefully wont feel the need to upgrade in the speaker department. just wanted to share that

They are truly awesome!!

Jeff
carp, RMK!, oneeyeblind and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Gorilla Killa; Yesterday at 12:42 PM. Reason: add on
post #30251 of 30261 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Hi all, Ive followed the JTR thread for a while, always wanted set but didn't think it would happen. I purchased dholmes triple 12's and felt I got a good deal. After getting them set up and running audyssey I realize I got a smoking deal on these and almost feel guilty, keyword there is almost. Stoked I have something to build my HT off of and hopefully wont feel the need to upgrade in the speaker department. just wanted to share that

They are truly awesome!!

Jeff
Jeff - welcome to the JTR thread. They are amazing speakers and this thread is pretty amazing as well even tho it can be a full time job trying to keep up with it. Lots of helpful people.

Congrats!
post #30252 of 30261 Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anybody know of a site that sells speaker stands for big speakers, like a center channel. I am looking for ideas for my 215RM. I really did not take an account to how big this speaker is. I mean I knew it was big on account to my RT's, but it makes my 228 look like a cork. I am not sure if I am going to just leave it on the floor and tilt it or bring it up closer to ear level. I have been looking, but I don't see anything.
post #30253 of 30261 Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 922
Quote:
Does anybody know of a site that sells speaker stands for big speakers, like a center channel. I am looking for ideas for my 215RM. I really did not take an account to how big this speaker is. I mean I knew it was big on account to my RT's, but it makes my 228 look like a cork. I am not sure if I am going to just leave it on the floor and tilt it or bring it up closer to ear level. I have been looking, but I don't see anything.
To bad we don't live closer to each other I'd give you my stand that Jeff made for me for my 212 when I had it horizontal. It's short but angled up nicely and worked well and would be a lot better than putting the speaker on the floor.
RMK! likes this.
post #30254 of 30261 Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
To bad we don't live closer to each other I'd give you my stand that Jeff made for me for my 212 when I had it horizontal. It's short but angled up nicely and worked well and would be a lot better than putting the speaker on the floor.
I will pay you for it and pay for shipping! That is if you would be interested in doing that! Give me a number!
RMK! likes this.
post #30255 of 30261 Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
I will pay you for it and pay for shipping! That is if you would be interested in doing that! Give me a number!
@carp s stand is very nice, the angled 212 blended well with his vertical mains when I visited.

post #30256 of 30261 Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 922
Quote:

Your money is no good here, just pay for shipping and we'll call it even.

Now... to figure out how to ship it... I'll talk to you and we'll figure it out.
post #30257 of 30261 Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Here's what I did for a center stand. I bought 4 cement blocks from Lowes (maybe $8?), wrapped them in black felt from Joanne, and then purchased a pair of these when they were on sale for i think $40. I angled them up as high as I could to get ear level:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

So in total it was probably about $60, and I can always increase the height just by adding on more cement blocks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	center stand.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	814578  
post #30258 of 30261 Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Your money is no good here, just pay for shipping and we'll call it even.

Now... to figure out how to ship it... I'll talk to you and we'll figure it out.
uship.com can be good for this kind of stuff.
post #30259 of 30261 Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
Here's what I did for a center stand. I bought 4 cement blocks from Lowes (maybe $8?), wrapped them in black felt from Joanne, and then purchased a pair of these when they were on sale for i think $40. I angled them up as high as I could to get ear level:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

So in total it was probably about $60, and I can always increase the height just by adding on more cement blocks
I've had good luck with this approach. Cheap and very solid, if you're not looking for something fancy.

Edit: ...although I used velvet, instead of felt.

Last edited by rcohen; Yesterday at 09:59 PM.
post #30260 of 30261 Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
I've had good luck with this approach. Cheap and very solid, if you're not looking for something fancy.
Yea something about cement blocks as speaker stands for JTR Speakers (aka mini fridges) just sounds right

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #30261 of 30261 Old Today, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The cement block idea would would be the easiest / cheapest. If you want exact dimensions, you can build one from 2x4s and then cover it with cloth.. I did that with my triple 12LFs which is heavier / bigger than the 212HTs.

Cost was around $20 + the cost of the fabric.

Quote:

Last edited by ahmedreda; Today at 08:30 AM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com