Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1018 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #30511 of 30526 Old Today, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Haha, the wife sees me do this almost on a nightly basis... Lights off, just sitting there listening to music.
yeah, talk about WAF...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30512 of 30526 Old Today, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
I'm SOOOO tempted by this. I live about an hour from him. If i currently have 212's as my LR, and have 2 of the new S2 subwoofers on the way, would this make any sense for me to sell my 212's and shell out the extra cash for them?
Quote:
Depends. Do you intend on spending time listening to good ole 2 channel stereo music? If so, I'd venture a guess that the 215's in full range mode might be totally worth the upgrade. If you are strictly movies, then I don't see as much of an argument there...

I agree with Brandon 100% on this. For movies I have been using a 80 hz crossover for a while now so the full range capabilities of the 215's are wasted. However for music I just can't get the bass sound/feel as good with the 80hz crossover as I can with the 215's set to large and trust me I've tried - and continue to try just because I like to tweak the sound and tinker around.

Buzz Killington (who seems to be in every single thread I follow these days and is constantly in arguments with anyone and everyone which is making avs a lot less fun than it used to be - I swear I never saw the guy until a few months ago and now he is everywhere) says that the 215's are an offensive design and are an example of everything that is wrong with AVS these days. He is right that by the book you don't want to have full range speakers because the best place for the speakers is seldom the best place for the bass. Also the room should dictate the crossover and not the speakers. I knew all this before buying the 215's but bought them anyway because I figured... what the hell, I've always wanted full range speakers.

So, if you are a movies only guy I would pass, if you plan on putting the speakers in a baffle wall or close to the front wall I would pass. If you plan on using them for 2 channel music and will have the speakers a few feet out from the front wall then I would consider it for sure. I went from 212's for LR to 215's a little over a year ago and haven't regretted it for a second.

With the speakers out from the front wall in my room the drivers are all reasonably close to the quarter points from the back wall and front wall. They are also close to the quarter points from the side walls, and since the drivers are placed where they are on the speaker itself (probably not an accident) they are also not far from the quarter points of the floor and ceiling. I think this is why I prefer full range for 2 channel over using a crossover and subs. Music in 2 channel sounds better to me in full range with the front subs off than any delay/phase/placement of the subs that I have tried since I bought/built the subs almost 2.5 years ago. Also, maybe there is something to stereo bass? I know below 80hz stereo bass isn't supposed to matter since the bass becomes non-directional, and I've read that the low bass is mixed in mono anyway.... but I don't know... just another possibility as to why I like full range better.

I will say that if I can ever find cheaper speakers crossed at 80hz that I like better I would switch in a heart beat. I'm not a wealthy guy so freeing up some cash would be nice. I was hoping that the JBL 4722's would be that speaker and I had them in my room for a few weeks to try them out... but they weren't as good. I really wanted to like them as much or more so I could free up some funds for Atmos and Dirac but no dice.
stitch1 and Naylorman32 like this.
post #30513 of 30526 Old Today, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm pretty much 90% movies/TV. If I listen to music, I just do 7 channel stereo to fill out the room better. My preferred music listening is more in other rooms in the house, just so it wouldn't be so weird for my GF to see me just sitting in my bat cave basement listening to music alone LOL
Haha, I do it all the time - I like having Palladia (music concert channel) on the screen so in case there is a song or artist i like I can switch the audio to the tv, other than that I'm listening to my own music.

stitch1 and countryWV like this.

Last edited by carp; Today at 09:11 AM.
post #30514 of 30526 Old Today, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm pretty much 90% movies/TV. If I listen to music, I just do 7 channel stereo to fill out the room better. My preferred music listening is more in other rooms in the house, just so it wouldn't be so weird for my GF to see me just sitting in my bat cave basement listening to music alone LOL
Since this is the case I would stick to your 212's.
post #30515 of 30526 Old Today, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Since this is the case I would stick to your 212's.

Perfect explanations. Thanks Carp!

And to your point, I always prefer concert dvds just so i have the excuse that im not sitting in a dark room staring at a wall haha.
post #30516 of 30526 Old Today, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Perfect explanations. Thanks Carp!

And to your point, I always prefer concert dvds just so i have the excuse that im not sitting in a dark room staring at a wall haha.
Your welcome - plus you have the added advantage of being able to run the 212's with an AVR and still go louder than you would ever want.
post #30517 of 30526 Old Today, 11:12 AM
Ace of Bass

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1456
Quote:
I agree with Brandon 100% on this. For movies I have been using a 80 hz crossover for a while now so the full range capabilities of the 215's are wasted. However for music I just can't get the bass sound/feel as good with the 80hz crossover as I can with the 215's set to large and trust me I've tried - and continue to try just because I like to tweak the sound and tinker around.

Buzz Killington (who seems to be in every single thread I follow these days and is constantly in arguments with anyone and everyone which is making avs a lot less fun than it used to be - I swear I never saw the guy until a few months ago and now he is everywhere) says that the 215's are an offensive design and are an example of everything that is wrong with AVS these days. He is right that by the book you don't want to have full range speakers because the best place for the speakers is seldom the best place for the bass. Also the room should dictate the crossover and not the speakers. I knew all this before buying the 215's but bought them anyway because I figured... what the hell, I've always wanted full range speakers.

So, if you are a movies only guy I would pass, if you plan on putting the speakers in a baffle wall or close to the front wall I would pass. If you plan on using them for 2 channel music and will have the speakers a few feet out from the front wall then I would consider it for sure. I went from 212's for LR to 215's a little over a year ago and haven't regretted it for a second.

With the speakers out from the front wall in my room the drivers are all reasonably close to the quarter points from the back wall and front wall. They are also close to the quarter points from the side walls, and since the drivers are placed where they are on the speaker itself (probably not an accident) they are also not far from the quarter points of the floor and ceiling. I think this is why I prefer full range for 2 channel over using a crossover and subs. Music in 2 channel sounds better to me in full range with the front subs off than any delay/phase/placement of the subs that I have tried since I bought/built the subs almost 2.5 years ago. Also, maybe there is something to stereo bass? I know below 80hz stereo bass isn't supposed to matter since the bass becomes non-directional, and I've read that the low bass is mixed in mono anyway.... but I don't know... just another possibility as to why I like full range better.

I will say that if I can ever find cheaper speakers crossed at 80hz that I like better I would switch in a heart beat. I'm not a wealthy guy so freeing up some cash would be nice. I was hoping that the JBL 4722's would be that speaker and I had them in my room for a few weeks to try them out... but they weren't as good. I really wanted to like them as much or more so I could free up some funds for Atmos and Dirac but no dice.

This is a gray area that many people attempt to dig into but seldom few seem to find clarity on. I'd like to try out full range speakers in my room just to see if I can't shed more light on the phenomena personally. Full range mains, properly placed still are the only holdout I have to replace what otherwise is a perfect speaker setup for me. Why does full range mains appear to have so much more presence and full bodied bass sound compared to a well blended sub/satellite combo? Especially when the sub setup is as capable as yours or mine. I know you and I both have done our absolute fair share of measurements to ensure proper blending and time alignment/positioning of the combo as well... Something just doesn't add up to me, and I'd love to put a finger on it.

My initial thoughts are simply that one can never get the exactly perfect time alignment from a sub/sat combo as you would from using capable 15" woofers that dig into the 20hz range on your mains. It is after all, a single pair of drivers belting that bass out, you can't get much better time alignment than the same exact driver doing the whole bandwidth (well, the whole BASS bandwidth that is).

My second conjecture is there is something just inherently lost when trying to hand-off the signal you want the subs to reproduce instead of the mains, but I have no electronic measurement that can prove this one way or another, and I have no clue as to how in the world to prove this from a conceptual standpoint in the first place... so basically just leave me to my musings here....

Haha, Buzz Killington
stitch1 and countryWV like this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
post #30518 of 30526 Old Today, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is a gray area that many people attempt to dig into but seldom few seem to find clarity on. I'd like to try out full range speakers in my room just to see if I can't shed more light on the phenomena personally. Full range mains, properly placed still are the only holdout I have to replace what otherwise is a perfect speaker setup for me. Why does full range mains appear to have so much more presence and full bodied bass sound compared to a well blended sub/satellite combo? Especially when the sub setup is as capable as yours or mine. I know you and I both have done our absolute fair share of measurements to ensure proper blending and time alignment/positioning of the combo as well... Something just doesn't add up to me, and I'd love to put a finger on it.

My initial thoughts are simply that one can never get the exactly perfect time alignment from a sub/sat combo as you would from using capable 15" woofers that dig into the 20hz range on your mains. It is after all, a single pair of drivers belting that bass out, you can't get much better time alignment than the same exact driver doing the whole bandwidth (well, the whole BASS bandwidth that is).

My second conjecture is there is something just inherently lost when trying to hand-off the signal you want the subs to reproduce instead of the mains, but I have no electronic measurement that can prove this one way or another, and I have no clue as to how in the world to prove this from a conceptual standpoint in the first place... so basically just leave me to my musings here....

Haha, Buzz Killington

You could drag your LS-6's down to your room!! I'm sure you are just dying to move all of your subs and Danley's out of the way...
post #30519 of 30526 Old Today, 11:25 AM
Ace of Bass

Quote:
You could drag your LS-6's down to your room!! I'm sure you are just dying to move all of your subs and Danley's out of the way...
The day those came back from Andrew's and came out of the basement for the first time, I knew it would be the last. I snuck them in the upstairs den before the wife got home from an out of town conference (once again, forgiveness before permission) and to my surprise she actually likes them now and won't let me sell em off.

When they were downstairs, they really were incredibly impressive for music.
Naylorman32 likes this.

HT seats for sale!
post #30520 of 30526 Old Today, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The day those came back from Andrew's and came out of the basement for the first time, I knew it would be the last. I snuck them in the upstairs den before the wife got home from an out of town conference (once again, forgiveness before permission) and to my surprise she actually likes them now and won't let me sell em off.

When they were downstairs, they really were incredibly impressive for music.
Did they sound better than they do upstairs? Were they out from the front wall when they were downstairs?
post #30521 of 30526 Old Today, 11:39 AM
Ace of Bass

Quote:
Did they sound better than they do upstairs? Were they out from the front wall when they were downstairs?
Oh yea. Upstairs is an acoustical nightmare, and they have to be shoved almost right up against the wall. Downstairs they had plenty of room to breathe, where they were about 2 feet off the wall to the back of the enclosure, so basically 3 feet off the wall to the front. I could also toe them properly downstairs as well...and the treatments helped.
carp likes this.

HT seats for sale!
post #30522 of 30526 Old Today, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Wow, here's a really good deal for anyone in PA that might be looking for some 215RT's.
fs: pair of jtr 215rt's

Makes me wish I was local!
Yup, a heck of a deal. Looks like he's selling a pair of Growlers and a Funk amp as well. I actually picked up the S2 he was selling around October/November of last year... again, for a heck of a good deal. Still beating the snot out of 3 S2's on a weekly basis..
post #30523 of 30526 Old Today, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 54
These last few post sum up everything I've been after for several years. Full range fronts that will excel for stereo listening as well as when I put in a concert DVD and enjoy the subs.

I'm very happy with my M2's but redoing a basement and needed to buy all the HT equipment makes me wonder if there is a more cost effective way to built my HT. Even the thought of buying another M2 has my wife wanting to kill me. $$$$$
post #30524 of 30526 Old Today, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniHT View Post
Yup, a heck of a deal. Looks like he's selling a pair of Growlers and a Funk amp as well. I actually picked up the S2 he was selling around October/November of last year... again, for a heck of a good deal. Still beating the snot out of 3 S2's on a weekly basis..
So you're the one that got that S2 at a crazy good price
post #30525 of 30526 Old Today, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
So you're the one that got that S2 at a crazy good price
Yep, that was me! I needed a nice stand for my center... I see you went with dual S2's... niice!
post #30526 of 30526 Old Today, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Did anyone ever find out anything about the 'JTR Speakers' signs?

Alternatively, is there a larger version .gif, or .jpg, of the official logo that anyone has squirreled away for making your own sign?

As a soon-to-be new owner of some JTR Speakers (Jeff has projected that if everything goes right, they may ship as soon as tomorrow!!), I would like to advertise that fact in my little theater... Any ideas?

Thanks,

- s.west

"That's not what he said, y'ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English."
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page