Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1018 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #30511 of 30515 Old Today, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Haha, the wife sees me do this almost on a nightly basis... Lights off, just sitting there listening to music.
yeah, talk about WAF...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30512 of 30515 Old Today, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
I'm SOOOO tempted by this. I live about an hour from him. If i currently have 212's as my LR, and have 2 of the new S2 subwoofers on the way, would this make any sense for me to sell my 212's and shell out the extra cash for them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Depends. Do you intend on spending time listening to good ole 2 channel stereo music? If so, I'd venture a guess that the 215's in full range mode might be totally worth the upgrade. If you are strictly movies, then I don't see as much of an argument there...

I agree with Brandon 100% on this. For movies I have been using a 80 hz crossover for a while now so the full range capabilities of the 215's are wasted. However for music I just can't get the bass sound/feel as good with the 80hz crossover as I can with the 215's set to large and trust me I've tried - and continue to try just because I like to tweak the sound and tinker around.

Buzz Killington (who seems to be in every single thread I follow these days and is constantly in arguments with anyone and everyone which is making avs a lot less fun than it used to be - I swear I never saw the guy until a few months ago and now he is everywhere) says that the 215's are an offensive design and are an example of everything that is wrong with AVS these days. He is right that by the book you don't want to have full range speakers because the best place for the speakers is seldom the best place for the bass. Also the room should dictate the crossover and not the speakers. I knew all this before buying the 215's but bought them anyway because I figured... what the hell, I've always wanted full range speakers.

So, if you are a movies only guy I would pass, if you plan on putting the speakers in a baffle wall or close to the front wall I would pass. If you plan on using them for 2 channel music and will have the speakers a few feet out from the front wall then I would consider it for sure. I went from 212's for LR to 215's a little over a year ago and haven't regretted it for a second.

With the speakers out from the front wall in my room the drivers are all reasonably close to the quarter points from the back wall and front wall. They are also close to the quarter points from the side walls, and since the drivers are placed where they are on the speaker itself (probably not an accident) they are also not far from the quarter points of the floor and ceiling. I think this is why I prefer full range for 2 channel over using a crossover and subs. Music in 2 channel sounds better to me in full range with the front subs off than any delay/phase/placement of the subs that I have tried since I bought/built the subs almost 2.5 years ago. Also, maybe there is something to stereo bass? I know below 80hz stereo bass isn't supposed to matter since the bass becomes non-directional, and I've read that the low bass is mixed in mono anyway.... but I don't know... just another possibility as to why I like full range better.

I will say that if I can ever find cheaper speakers crossed at 80hz that I like better I would switch in a heart beat. I'm not a wealthy guy so freeing up some cash would be nice. I was hoping that the JBL 4722's would be that speaker and I had them in my room for a few weeks to try them out... but they weren't as good. I really wanted to like them as much or more so I could free up some funds for Atmos and Dirac but no dice.
Naylorman32 likes this.
post #30513 of 30515 Old Today, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm pretty much 90% movies/TV. If I listen to music, I just do 7 channel stereo to fill out the room better. My preferred music listening is more in other rooms in the house, just so it wouldn't be so weird for my GF to see me just sitting in my bat cave basement listening to music alone LOL
Haha, I do it all the time - I like having Palladia (music concert channel) on the screen so in case there is a song or artist i like I can switch the audio to the tv, other than that I'm listening to my own music.

countryWV likes this.

Last edited by carp; Today at 09:11 AM.
post #30514 of 30515 Old Today, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm pretty much 90% movies/TV. If I listen to music, I just do 7 channel stereo to fill out the room better. My preferred music listening is more in other rooms in the house, just so it wouldn't be so weird for my GF to see me just sitting in my bat cave basement listening to music alone LOL
Since this is the case I would stick to your 212's.
post #30515 of 30515 Old Today, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Since this is the case I would stick to your 212's.

Perfect explanations. Thanks Carp!

And to your point, I always prefer concert dvds just so i have the excuse that im not sitting in a dark room staring at a wall haha.
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com