Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1020 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #30571 of 30577 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
The bass won't be bloated if you have the mains and subs time aligned correctly. I do this by running a continuous sweep through the omnimic and making changes to the distance settings of the subs until it's as smooth as possible. The trick is though that you also have to have the center channel time aligned with the subs - AND - the L and R. This is tricky.

IMO for guys that have the 215's and subs it is a lot easier to just run the 215's as small for movies and then large with no subs for 2 channel music.
So you have both subs and mains running FR with movies and music? Since you have them timed aligned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30572 of 30577 Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyneric View Post
Big thanks to CountryWV for the JTR Triple 12 HTs. I have them hooked up to a horrible Sony amp and rocked out to the Metallica - Through the Never Blu-ray and a few clips from the Home Theater Demo discs from AVS and oh my god... Coming from some bookshelf B&Ws, large Denons and a few other setups, these are in a completely different league. I settled in and watched a few movies after playing them way too loud (but surprisingly not fatiguing) and the detail and dialogue was unlike anything I've heard before. All of this coming from an untreated space with a quick calibration.

I cannot wait to build out a dedicated space in the adjacent room and surround myself with JTR speakers and a nice AVR. Next on the list is a sub or two from the JTR offerings. Thanks to everyone on the forum for their reviews of these speakers over the years. They have been a dream speaker of mine for quite a while and are everything I was hoping for and more.

I got my t12's a couple months ago, and I feel if people actually knew what they were missing, these would not sit for more than a day in the classifieds. My brother inlaw has Revels, he scoffed at their appearance but was impressed when heard them in action. My one audio purchase I feel ill never regret, 2 cap 1400's and slanted 8's and ill be done
theblackangus and countryWV like this.
post #30573 of 30577 Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
and ill be done
that's crazy talk around here

For sale: Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
post #30574 of 30577 Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
I got my t12's a couple months ago, and I feel if people actually knew what they were missing, these would not sit for more than a day in the classifieds. My brother inlaw has Revels, he scoffed at their appearance but was impressed when heard them in action. My one audio purchase I feel ill never regret, 2 cap 1400's and slanted 8's and ill be done
I have to agree with you, sad more people don't get a chance to listen to JTR's. They have breathed a whole new life into sound for me.
post #30575 of 30577 Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
So you have both subs and mains running FR with movies and music? Since you have them timed aligned?
I did for a long time, but I'm back to crossing the mains at 80hz for movies only. I don't want to mess with the HPF and now that I have a nearfield sub I don't need any more bass than my 9 18"s can put out.

However, for 2 channel music you would have to pry my full range capabilities from my cold dead hands!! I use my system for music far more than movies - although i do watch a lot of tv and movies too....

Stitch1 and I were cranking up some tunes and drinking beer tonight for 4 hours or so, and the time just flew by. What do I do when he leaves? Listen to more music.
stitch1 and DRC3 like this.
post #30576 of 30577 Unread Yesterday, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I could listen to the 215's all day. Thanks again for having me over.
post #30577 of 30577 Unread Today, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
I keep reading that when you set your receiver to LFE+Main, assuming you have capable mains like the 215, the bass ends up being boomy and bloated.

My question is, can you not have it setup this way and then eq your subs down?
Many sins can be cured with a nice EQ system.

A few things to be aware of with LFE+Main:
1) If you have a sub in back and mains in front, you might be able to use that to tame room modes, which can help.
2) If the sub and mains have different phase curves (which is most likely), you will probably get at least some cancellation at some frequencies.
3) It can add output.
4) All mains I have ever tried have sounded worse in LFE+Main mode than small mode, when paired with good subs. I've never tried the 215s, though, which is admittedly a different animal.

With all of this, your best bet is to measure with REW, to see what is going on in your room. It will be very different with different rooms, placement, equipment, and settings.

Without actually measuring, the safe route would be to get multiple identical subs, place them on opposite sides of the room, and run the mains in small.
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page