Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1040 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #31171 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansboston View Post
Hey Jeff, these were shipped in January 2014, so not sure it would have the crossover update or not. I am fairly certain the center does have it's horn oriented for horizontal use, so it should be re-oriented for vertical.
Typically, we do our engineering and design work during our slow season, the summer, order parts and start shipping new designs in October or November. Your Noesis 228HT's are 2014 versions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31172 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Hello Jeff,

They are 2014 228 noesis. I will add a pic of the screen wall in a bit.

That would be interesting to compare the old vs the new along with the mtm210s.

I can take measurements as well. Do a local GTG for some folks.
countryWV likes this.
post #31173 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Just got home from work and I already have fury road in the player.
post #31174 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
Jeff - if you need some advice on what speakers to use in your home this forum is quite helpful and could probably steer you in the right direction.
Nabs17, carp, jbrown15 and 6 others like this.
post #31175 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Jeff - if you need some advice on what speakers to use in your home this forum is quite helpful and could probably steer you in the right direction.
Just dont buy crappy speakers from a vendor that doesnt provide measurements!
Nabs17 and nash23 like this.

Last edited by theblackangus; Yesterday at 06:22 PM.
post #31176 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Maybe I missed it in the almost 32k posts but what does your system consist of?

Nabs17
post #31177 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone in Florida (preferably around Tampa ) that can demo an orbital shifter can you please pm me. Currently running four season f2's but would love to hear the os

Thanks
post #31178 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Jeff, what's your setup in your own home? must be JTR 215RTs (LCR and surrounds) and few OS + Cap S2
post #31179 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Picked up Ex Machina and Fury Road myself!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
post #31180 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Not sure I want to see the difference ... you know ignorance being bliss and all ...

My screen is 138" diag. I think Carp is right about a viewing distance over 10' probably not mattering much at least to folks with my visual acuity. I sit 12' away from the 138" screen. OTOH, the claims by owners who have seen/sampled both are pretty compelling. If the brightness and audio are similar, why not go for the the surface with less texture?
Thanks, I will be 12ft minimum, gonna shoot for 13ft viewing distance. I may try cheaper options to get up and running and assess down the road if I'm unsatisfied. aoosfi1 seems pretty happy with his Elite screen. They make a 152.8" wide version. Amazon has exceptional return policies, Ive been a Prime customer since it began. So I have 30 days free of charge.

For Sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector http://www.avsforum.com/forum/218-di...l#post36918978
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
post #31181 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Falcon does 150" wide or 140" wide at 2:35. I would rather go 150" but PJ light loss vs throw distance, etc is an area I know very little about. @asoofi1 has the Panny ae8000 with his size and seems to do ok. I want as big as possible but want performance too. The Panny has lens sift so thats a nice feature I should consider and it seems to be in the same performance/cost tier as the Sony 40es. My room will have no windows and 100% light controlled with walls and ceilings constructed for absolute minimal reflection as possible. I am building the room from the ground up. I could swing the Falcon Horizon if it truly offers the performance. I wouldn't need a screen as long as it lasted for years into the 4k turn in the future. I read somewhere the anamorphic lens boosts brightness? Maybe thats needed for this size? Again I'm speaking gibberish here as this is not my arena
You really need to set up some samples and the projector in the right positions and zoom to get a good approximation of brightness.
You can use the calculator on Projector Central for an approximation, but it's pretty inaccurate for some of the projectors.

Anamorphic lenses are a complicated topic.
There are a lot of pros and cons, and you will not necessarily end up with a better (or even substantially brighter) picture after all of the expense and headaches.
My advice is to skip the a-lens.

Last edited by rcohen; Yesterday at 06:35 PM.
post #31182 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Thanks, I will be 12ft minimum, gonna shoot for 13ft viewing distance. I may try cheaper options to get up and running and assess down the road if I'm unsatisfied. aoosfi1 seems pretty happy with his Elite screen. They make a 152.8" wide version. Amazon has exceptional return policies, Ive been a Prime customer since it began. So I have 30 days free of charge.
I think you underestimate the hassle of trying then returning a screen, even with Amazon.
Get some samples!
post #31183 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Most of the AT screens have around 1.0 gain, with minor/indistinguishable-practical-usage variance. If one claims 1.2, it's still not a significant difference with a light controlled room...think 0-60mph times....either you're going for a land speed record to prove something with millisecond differences or you're enjoying the experience. Anyone that has demoed my screen thought it was one of the more expensive options being discussed. When a PJ is throwing out a very good amount of lumens, such as the panny 8000, it's one less concern. Even a basic calibration with a WOW disc calls for lower brightness.

I compared samples of XD against elite, and the difference was very minor in shade of white...the xd was a bit brighter, which again, works against contrast...and contrast is something more desirable to have with a pj setup...aka better black levels.

On a side note, the audio performance claims are almost ridiculous... it's a very desperate attempt for a manufacturer to distinguish themselves in some form to convince consumers it's some type of advantage when it's really not. For arguments sake, let's say there is measurable difference of 0.5 of a decibel...how does one compensate for that? Turn up the volume. But again, could you discern even one whole decibel? Basically, unless there's 5-10 decibels the screen material is blocking (and no self respecting AT company will even sell such material), this factor is just inconsequential. For any of the very minor measurable differences, Audyssey calibration or the like will set levels accordingly anyway.

The main factor you have left is pj placement really. This is where the panny allowed for a lot of flexibility...there's a calculator on the Panasonic website to show you max image at different lengths...the zoom range is a lot more than other pjs I looked at. Mine shoots from about 19' away to fill the entire 176" 2.35 image and can still zoom in to fill a 166" 16:9 166" image...btw, power lens memory and power focus is a huge feature and should be a deciding factor for any pj shopper. If you have enough length flexibility for pj placement and wall width, just go for the larger 2.35 screen if nothing else is stopping you.
Wow...176" with a Panny on a 1.0 gain screen?
The AT screen materials I tested had a large difference in brightness, more than the manufacturer gain claims would suggest.

Speaking of zoom range, most projectors put out a LOT more light at the widest zoom, but many have the best contrast at the narrowest zoom (talking about real contrast, not just perceived contrast from a darker image).
This stuff can be a big factor.
With a smaller screen, there is a lot less to worry about, since there is brightness to spare.
With big screens, it takes a bit more care.
The brightness starts to go down fast, since the area increases at the square of the width.
post #31184 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Replacing the bulb more often helps a lot.
post #31185 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
Jeff, what's your setup in your own home? must be JTR 215RTs (LCR and surrounds) and few OS + Cap S2

He has a Bose Lifestyle 12II system that rocks his world.
WereWolf84, nash23 and countryWV like this.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
post #31186 of 31189 Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 396
@rcohen , thanks for all the advice
rcohen likes this.

For Sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector http://www.avsforum.com/forum/218-di...l#post36918978
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
post #31187 of 31189 Old Today, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I would love to see a pic of your setup.
WereWolf84 likes this.

Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Denon 4311 | Emotiva XPA-2/5 | JTR Noesis 21RM (C) | JTR Single 8ht-LP for LR | Deftech Procinema 1000 surrounds | Seaton Submersive HPi+/Slave Subwoofers
post #31188 of 31189 Old Today, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakquency View Post
Picked up Ex Machina and Fury Road myself!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Ex Machina standard or with DTS:X version?

Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Denon 4311 | Emotiva XPA-2/5 | JTR Noesis 21RM (C) | JTR Single 8ht-LP for LR | Deftech Procinema 1000 surrounds | Seaton Submersive HPi+/Slave Subwoofers
post #31189 of 31189 Unread Today, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Jeff's home system consists of whoevers speakers are shipping out next. The 4 weeks time frame from placing the order to ship date is 1 week to build and 3 weeks of at home listening. so Jeff can give his approval. That's why his speakers do not need a break-in period. If anyone has a system getting ready to ship out soon then that's probably what he watched Fury Road on.

I'm Joking but that's what I would do.

Chris
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page