Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1041 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31201 of 31227 Old Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GIEGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,496
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
What does Lamborghini flat black look like?
Something like this I imagine.

GIEGAR is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #31202 of 31227 Old Today, 08:48 AM
Member
 
Freakquency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash23 View Post
Ex Machina standard or with DTS:X version?
I didn't check, spaced it.
I will have to look tonight.
nash23 likes this.
Freakquency is online now  
post #31203 of 31227 Old Today, 09:00 AM
Member
 
Freakquency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've got about 10k wrapped up in recent JTR gear, no money left to buy a new pre pro to get DTS-X as of right now.
Freakquency is online now  
post #31204 of 31227 Old Today, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jeff Permanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Something like this I imagine.


Yes sir. Here's a picture from RMAF that doesn't give them justise:

Photo credit:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...631#msg1366631
Magibeg, Gorilla Killa and GIEGAR like this.
Jeff Permanian is online now  
post #31205 of 31227 Old Today, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 251
I saw those pictures before and thought...that's not the same black that I have but didn't know what it was. It does look very nice and appears easier to clean than the standard black. Almost wish I had chose that color instead. Is the price for this finish the same as a veneer?

Nabs17
Nabs17 is online now  
post #31206 of 31227 Old Today, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jeff Permanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
I saw those pictures before and thought...that's not the same black that I have but didn't know what it was. It does look very nice and appears easier to clean than the standard black. Almost wish I had chose that color instead. Is the price for this finish the same as a veneer?

That finish was over a thousand dollars each.
Jeff Permanian is online now  
post #31207 of 31227 Old Today, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I rarely have to clean the standard black just knock the dust off the top. Use a very little mild soap like Dawn w/warm water and a diaper/cloth with no fluffies or things that will cling to the speaker.
My rule of thumb is things that shine will scratch.
Nabs17 and Freakquency like this.

Chris
countryWV is online now  
post #31208 of 31227 Old Today, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
That finish was over a thousand dollars each.
Standard black it is then.
countryWV likes this.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is online now  
post #31209 of 31227 Old Today, 11:26 AM
Member
 
Freakquency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'm going to be running my soon to be 212htrs off a Crown xls2500 that does 775 watts x 2@4 ohms.
I'm aware with the high efficiency I don't need high wattage but has anyone ran these amps bridged putting out a mono 2400 watts into JTRs ?
Basically wondering if the 2500s get noisier when bridged.
They are going cheap @ $350 for these amps as they released a newer black updated model.
Freakquency is online now  
post #31210 of 31227 Old Today, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,467
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakquency View Post
I'm going to be running my soon to be 212htrs off a Crown xls2500 that does 775 watts x 2@4 ohms.
I'm aware with the high efficiency I don't need high wattage but has anyone ran these amps bridged putting out a mono 2400 watts into JTRs ?
Basically wondering if the 2500s get noisier when bridged.
They are going cheap @ $350 for these amps as they released a newer black updated model.
Any concerns with the noise floor on the XLS2500? What's the SNR? Not aware of an issue but just something to double check with the 212's.
dlbeck is offline  
post #31211 of 31227 Old Today, 12:02 PM
Member
 
Freakquency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Any concerns with the noise floor on the XLS2500? What's the SNR? Not aware of an issue but just something to double check with the 212's.
Yes, noise is my concern, my Emotiva xpa 5 is noisy when hooked up to an old efficient 2 way yorkville pa speaker but barely audible when paired with a much less efficient paradigm studio 100.
I suspect the 212htrs will pick up even more. The specs aren't measured the same when reading the specs for both amps, neither give 4ohm info.
Freakquency is online now  
post #31212 of 31227 Old Today, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakquency View Post
Yes, noise is my concern, my Emotiva xpa 5 is noisy when hooked up to an old efficient 2 way yorkville pa speaker but barely audible when paired with a much less efficient paradigm studio 100.
I suspect the 212htrs will pick up even more. The specs aren't measured the same when reading the specs for both amps, neither give 4ohm info.
Are you referring to a buzz or hum? The Crowns have a gain knob that helps minimize this.

Chris
countryWV is online now  
post #31213 of 31227 Old Today, 12:14 PM
Member
 
Freakquency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
Are you referring to a buzz or hum? The Crowns have a gain knob that helps minimize this.
Yes, the crown gain will be able to be less than full with the jtrs, with the paradigms I have to have the gain full on to match the channel levels of the emotiva which has no gain adjustment.
Freakquency is online now  
post #31214 of 31227 Old Today, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakquency View Post
Yes, the crown gain will be able to be less than full with the jtrs, with the paradigms I have to have the gain full on to match the channel levels of the emotiva which has no gain adjustment.
rca or xlr?


With rca You should be able to eliminate a buzz by grounding the avr to the amp.

Chris
countryWV is online now  
post #31215 of 31227 Old Today, 12:18 PM
Member
 
Freakquency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
rca or xlr?


With rca You should be able to eliminate a buzz by grounding the avr to the amp.
Not hum, just hiss.
Freakquency is online now  
post #31216 of 31227 Old Today, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakquency View Post
Not hum, just hiss.
Try a 3 to 2 prong adapter (cheater plug). If this eliminates it then grounding the avr to the amp will work. Of coarse leaving the cheater plug on is always an option too.

http://www.amazon.com/45086-3-Prong-...+prong+adapter

Chris
countryWV is online now  
post #31217 of 31227 Old Today, 12:57 PM
Member
 
Freakquency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
Try a 3 to 2 prong adapter (cheater plug). If this eliminates it then grounding the avr to the amp will work. Of coarse leaving the cheater plug on is always an option too.

http://www.amazon.com/45086-3-Prong-...+prong+adapter
Turning the gain down alleviates the issue on the crown, so not a ground issue. Sounds like I will just have to nix the Emotiva for another crown as the emotiva has a fixed gain. Probably better to have matched amps across the front lcr anyways.
Freakquency is online now  
post #31218 of 31227 Old Today, 12:57 PM
Ace of Bass
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 9,648
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 1535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakquency View Post
Yes, noise is my concern, my Emotiva xpa 5 is noisy when hooked up to an old efficient 2 way yorkville pa speaker but barely audible when paired with a much less efficient paradigm studio 100.
I suspect the 212htrs will pick up even more. The specs aren't measured the same when reading the specs for both amps, neither give 4ohm info.
GEn1 emo? Those are a fixed 32dB gain and is almost definitely the issue there. That is too high of a gain for a speaker that is over 100dB efficient. As was stated, the crown has a gain knob which allows all of that to be variable. You honestly might not even need the gain on the crown much over 1/4 depending on the output voltage of your receiver.
countryWV likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)


Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
beastaudio is online now  
post #31219 of 31227 Old Today, 12:59 PM
Member
 
Freakquency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
GEn1 emo? Those are a fixed 32dB gain and is almost definitely the issue there. That is too high of a gain for a speaker that is over 100dB efficient. As was stated, the crown has a gain knob which allows all of that to be variable. You honestly might not even need the gain on the crown much over 1/4 depending on the output voltage of your receiver.
^^^ Yes
Freakquency is online now  
post #31220 of 31227 Old Today, 01:01 PM
Member
 
Freakquency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The UMC-200 has a strong output voltage, so sounds like a plan.
countryWV likes this.
Freakquency is online now  
post #31221 of 31227 Old Today, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
Yes sir. Here's a picture from RMAF that doesn't give them justise:

Photo credit:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...631#msg1366631

does this count as inappropriate to look at during work. WOW!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8446584278_6a02287ec0_z.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	921234  
Naylorman32 is online now  
post #31222 of 31227 Old Today, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 2,433
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Any concerns with the noise floor on the XLS2500? What's the SNR? Not aware of an issue but just something to double check with the 212's.
To go along with this, manufacturers specify SNR at full rated power. To properly compare amps one should convert the SNR rating to 1 watt.

Sqrt(power*resistance) = voltage
SNR - [20*log(voltage/2.82)] = SNR at 1 watt

I type it into the calculator like in these examples below. You end up with a negative number, but just drop the minus.
Example:
Amp A: SNR 105dB @ 200 watts [(200*8)sqrt/2.82]log*20 - 105 = 82dB @ 1 watt

Amp B: SNR 110dB @ 1000 watts [(1000*8)sqrt/2.82]log*20 - 110 = 71dB @ 1 watt

As you can see, Amp A is 11 dB quieter than Amp B despite Amp B's higher SNR rating by the mfg.

To further complicate things, most of the time SNR is A-weighted. This weighting makes the measured output at 10 kHz down 2.5 dB from actual and by 20 kHz it is down by 9.3 dB.

Finally, the higher your incoming voltage the lower the actual noise produced by the amp because you can lower the gain controls on the amp to match the higher voltage.
desertdome is online now  
post #31223 of 31227 Old Today, 01:37 PM
Member
 
Freakquency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
To go along with this, manufacturers specify SNR at full rated power. To properly compare amps one should convert the SNR rating to 1 watt.

Sqrt(power*resistance) = voltage
SNR - [20*log(voltage/2.82)] = SNR at 1 watt

I type it into the calculator like in these examples below. You end up with a negative number, but just drop the minus.
Example:
Amp A: SNR 105dB @ 200 watts [(200*8)sqrt/2.82]log*20 - 105 = 82dB @ 1 watt

Amp B: SNR 110dB @ 1000 watts [(1000*8)sqrt/2.82]log*20 - 110 = 71dB @ 1 watt

As you can see, Amp A is 11 dB quieter than Amp B despite Amp B's higher SNR rating by the mfg.

To further complicate things, most of the time SNR is A-weighted. This weighting makes the measured output at 10 kHz down 2.5 dB from actual and by 20 kHz it is down by 9.3 dB.

Finally, the higher your incoming voltage the lower the actual noise produced by the amp because you can lower the gain controls on the amp to match the higher voltage.
The crown at full power, A weighted is 103db , the Emotiva xpa 5 is 119, yikes!
Freakquency is online now  
post #31224 of 31227 Old Today, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 5,443
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
No problemo, the center support rod is made out of ATA (acoustically transparent aluminum).

That 80% Amazon discount is pretty generous.
Haha yea big discount. Feel better about $500 then right? For real though like I said I have a non AT 92" Silver Ticket and the build quality is top notch, can't surpass like Jeff builds his speakers. I would be tempted to try this one or the Elite screen for $550. ST is 146" wide, Elite model is 153" wide. I may need to save the inches so...

For Sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector http://www.avsforum.com/forum/218-di...l#post36918978
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
jlpowell84 is online now  
post #31225 of 31227 Old Today, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 5,443
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 399
LMS Ultras on sale on Amazon...

For Sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector http://www.avsforum.com/forum/218-di...l#post36918978
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
jlpowell84 is online now  
post #31226 of 31227 Old Today, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakquency View Post
^^^ Yes
I'm currently running Crown XLS-1500's in bridged mode for my 3 215's. At the moment the gain is a little less than 3/4 and I'm using XLR between them and my Yamaha CX-A500. There is some hiss but you can't hear it unless you get close to the horn. No audible effects in any listening I've done. I do have to agree with beast that I can't see you getting past 1/4 on the gain with the 212's with 100+ sensitivity. I'm not sure you even need Crown's with the 212's. You can drive them with a AVR to levels that I'm sure would please.


XLR connectivity is quieter than RCA from my experience.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is online now  
post #31227 of 31227 Old Today, 03:02 PM
Member
 
Freakquency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
I'm currently running Crown XLS-1500's in bridged mode for my 3 215's. At the moment the gain is a little less than 3/4 and I'm using XLR between them and my Yamaha CX-A500. There is some hiss but you can't hear it unless you get close to the horn. No audible effects in any listening I've done. I do have to agree with beast that I can't see you getting past 1/4 on the gain with the 212's with 100+ sensitivity. I'm not sure you even need Crown's with the 212's. You can drive them with a AVR to levels that I'm sure would please.


XLR connectivity is quieter than RCA from my experience.
Only reason I'm going to use the crown is because I already own one.[emoji1]
Freakquency is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off