Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1041 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6945Likes

Old 09-04-2015, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
Still have work to do in the theater with velvet, but here's a quick tease
Looking good Naylorman, I'll bet they sound great in there.

Nabs17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2015, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 661
@swest , first off you certainly have done well in your Volt build and purchasing your HTR's. I was a little confused by your post. You stated,

"The real kicker was that we A-B'ed (not quite double-blind, mind you, but almost) a test where we ran the left HTR as L, and the right B&W as R. While there might have been a slight difference in the timbre of the speakers, it was hardly noticeable, and, well, it was pretty difficult to tell which speaker was which! In other words, was I running with 2 HTRs, behind the screen? Or 1 HTR behind the screen and 1 B&W in front?"

But then,

"I am not going to even attempt to qualify the difference in the sound of my theater BJ (before JTR) vs AJ (after JTR). The difference is extreme and dramatic. The 228HTRs are so incredibly strong. There is never the slightest sense of compression. Everything is full-throttle (and, by the way, I got my copy of Mad Max: Fury Road on Tuesday, and watched it yesterday... the performance of the HTRs was beyond my highest expectations)."

No doubt you mean the JTR's, especially getting them behind the screen, sound much better. Not only the speaker but location of the JTR's but the finesse and ease the JTR's handle dynamics. Nothing ever comes close to even thinking of distorting. As Jeff has said, this is a great feature a speaker must have. So you couldn't tell with left JTR main behind screen and right B&W floor stander out right?

FTW21 Ported Build
Volt 10 build
I miss Giants baseball!
Old 09-05-2015, 04:32 AM
AVS Spatial Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Yeah, sorry... that was a confusing post.

The B&W Matrix 803 Series II (vintage circa 1995) is a very capable loudspeaker. Witness the fact that this pair has survived in my HT for 20 years (). However, the point of the comparison I mentioned was not to compare the performance of the 803s vs the HTRs, but to compare the placement of the loudspeakers in the system. Consequently, the test passages we ran through the system for this comparison were played at a modest level, while each of us sat at the MLP with eyes closed, and the other played those passages while swapping between the Right Front HTR (behind the screen) and the Right Front 803 (in front of the screen, and wider, ~18 inches).

The result of our, rather unscientific, A-B test was that we were unable to discern a penalty, at least for the movie passages we chose, associated with the loss of the additional 18 inches of separation. Moreover (and this is the part of my earlier post that I'm sure was the source of the confusement... (I just made that one up, whaddya think?)) --> Each of us had a hard time even telling which of the two Right loudspeakers we were listening to . Again, the test material was a movie passage, which was neither demanding, nor played back at anything like Reference level.

I hope this is a little clearer than the earlier post.

- swest

p.s. I forgot to mention that we found the 803 and the HTR to be quite closely level-matched with no preliminary adjustments.

"Oh, what a day. What a lovely day!"
Old 09-05-2015, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Watched a movie last night with the PSA's, ran audessey as I did with the 228's. They are similar somewhat the verdict is not out yet. I think the PSA's might have had less clarity in dialog and sounded more distorted at higher volumes. Ill keep testing them out and swap the JTR"s back in a few days. See if my ears missed them. We have our little demo scheduled for later this month, sadly my theater carpet wont be installed by then.
Frank D and jaymind like this.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
Old 09-05-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 332 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1995 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
Still have work to do in the theater with velvet, but here's a quick tease
If at all possible you should try them behind your couch!
N8DOGG likes this.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Fellas, I'm giving Andrew a demo tomorrow. I have a handful of demos picked out already.....mostly usual suspects. I bought Fury Road but haven't spun it yet. For those that have watched the Blu, is there a particularly good segment for the JTRs and Orbits?
Sound canons in Hulk is a great OS demo but not everyone likes being pummeled by bass. The opening chapter of Fury Road is good. One suggestion is to let Andrew have the remote. I used to blow folks out of the room with my demos and I know I cost Jeff at least one sale as a result of my desire to put the pedal to the metal ... the guy was grinning ear to ear but the wife had her ears covered and was not a happy camper.
KevinH and nash23 like this.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 883
The Hulk scene is my go to demo for ULF, it'a 5HZ tone, you can't even hear it, just feel. I watched Fury Road last night. The movie was good but the bass wasn't anything that great IMO.... and I watching at reference with my 10dB house curve lol

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 09-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Sound canons in Hulk is a great OS demo but not everyone likes being pummeled by bass. The opening chapter of Fury Road is good. One suggestion is to let Andrew have the remote. I used to blow folks out of the room with my demos and I know I cost Jeff at least one sale as a result of my desire to put the pedal to the metal ... the guy was grinning ear to ear but the wife had her ears covered and was not a happy camper.

If she had her ears covered, he should have known what her reaction was going to be.Don't blame yourself, most likely his balls were in her purse along with the check book
Old 09-05-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
If she had her ears covered, he should have known what her reaction was going to be.Don't blame yourself, most likely his balls were in her purse along with the check book
It's a little more complicated than that and I think I caught both of them off guard with my little run up to +15. In the end, there was no way she wanted to arm him with the capability of producing the extreme SPL she heard/felt that day.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Andrew might reply back, but I think he liked

Quote:

-Kevin
Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector/GIK Acoustic room treatments
Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9
Marantz AV7702mkii pre-pro/Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp
Oppo BDP-105/Darbee Darblet
JTR 3TX LCRs/Single8 HT-LP surrounds/twin RA Gamma 21s
Old 09-05-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Testing out the PSA's took the JTRS out, suckers are not light.
Frank D and jaymind like this.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
Old 09-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's a little more complicated than that and I think I caught both of them off guard with my little run up to +15. In the end, there was no way she wanted to arm him with the capability of producing the extreme SPL she heard/felt that day.
I find that hilarious and completely sad at the same time. If I ask my wife to watch a movie, Ill keep the volume sane, If I tell her I'm going to watch a movie, she realizes the gloves are coming off and to leave the area. When I came home with the Trip 12's and put them in place, she said wtf, rolled her eyes, shook her head and that was the end of it. I guess Im lucky in that respect.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
I find that hilarious and completely sad at the same time. If I ask my wife to watch a movie, Ill keep the volume sane, If I tell her I'm going to watch a movie, she realizes the gloves are coming off and to leave the area. When I came home with the Trip 12's and put them in place, she said wtf, rolled her eyes, shook her head and that was the end of it. I guess Im lucky in that respect.
My wife doesn't have a clue what my Orbit Shifter is, it's just a huge black box.
Gorilla Killa and jlpowell84 like this.

It takes lots of abnormal people to make things easy for normal people.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Andrew might reply back, but I think he liked
Well how could he not? You've got an amazing system top to bottom Kevin.
KevinH likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
+15!!!!!! How did you endure that??? Can't be too many that could handle that volume , except (from what I've read) Jeff.

Nabs17
Old 09-05-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
+15!!!!!! How did you endure that??? Can't be too many that could handle that volume , except (from what I've read) Jeff.
My first demo of JTRs was at RMK's with his 212's and Oribit Shifters and we listened at spirited levels, maybe +12 with AOF. The Bass was crazy and I lost my equalibrium, broke out in a sweat and a huge Smile because it sounded incredible. His room is well treated and at those levels it just sounds powerful, not loud. At his GTG to demo the 215s during a break it was just Jeff and myself and we were listening to An Evening With Godsmack [DVD Acoustic Concert] - Batella de los Tambores (acoustic) at about +10 and Jeff decides to play some Metallica - Master of Puppets and cranks it to something near +15 (it was just like being in the front row of a live concert
Nabs17, carp, RMK! and 2 others like this.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
Old 09-05-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post

The speakers were fine and sounded good (I think ) but my room is way overloaded at that MV. It's like driving 150+ mph ... not a place you stay very long but a really fun experience none the less.

Alas, the LG is long gone now and I'll never see +10+ territory again.
Nabs17 likes this.

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 09-05-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
My first demo of JTRs was at RMK's with his 212's and Oribit Shifters and we listened at spirited levels, maybe +12 with AOF. The Bass was crazy and I lost my equalibrium, broke out in a sweat and a huge Smile because it sounded incredible. His room is well treated and at those levels it just sounds powerful, not loud. At his GTG to demo the 215s during a break it was just Jeff and myself and we were listening to An Evening With Godsmack [DVD Acoustic Concert] - Batella de los Tambores (acoustic) at about +10 and Jeff decides to play some Metallica - Master of Puppets and cranks it to something near +15 (it was just like being in the front row of a live concert

^ Just like listening to Black Sabbath at 78 speed.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Long time ago, wonder if you guys remember that.
RMK! and HTPCat like this.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

That takes me way back to my high school days, listening to paranoid 8 track cruising on the main street with the windows down blasting war pigs (C & C).
carp likes this.

HTPCat
Old 09-05-2015, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

C & C = Cheech & Chong for those of you not as old as me.

HTPCat
Old 09-05-2015, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the house to myself until 11 pm so my system is getting a Blu Ray Concert workout at Reference Level. Already watched Metallica Through The Never, Led Zeppelin The Song Remains The Same & David Gilmour Remember That Night. The rest of the live show:

Gary Moore & Friends A Tribute To Phil Lynott

Rush Live Snakes & Arrows

Steve Vai - Where The Wild Things Are

& Maybe tomorrow

The Complete Monterey Pop Festival

The Who Live at the Isle of Wight Festival

HTPCat
Old 09-06-2015, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

im havet tickets an Evenening with Godsmack next month. I was hesitant to buy the tickets as this place can be hit or miss on sound quality. Depending on location and how loud they turn it up it can sound ****ty. Im a fan so im hopeful

Kids don't know hat they are missing without records. Long gone are the days of sitting with friends spinning records backwards and all agreeing they heard the artist saying something.lol
HTPCat and countryWV like this.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I want to thank Kevin for demoing his system for me yesterday. I've been waiting for over a year to hear these speakers and am so grateful that Kevin allowed me to come to his house and listen to his system. After hearing those sub, I'm not sure his neighbors will be quite so thankful though.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

You're very welcome Andrew......nice to meet you and hope you liked them

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtodd View Post
I want to thank Kevin for demoing his system for me yesterday. I've been waiting for over a year to hear these speakers and am so grateful that Kevin allowed me to come to his house and listen to his system. After hearing those sub, I'm not sure his neighbors will be quite so thankful though.

-Kevin
Old 09-06-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
You're very welcome Andrew......nice to meet you and hope you liked them
It was a pleasure to meet you too and hope you team won.

Hearing them proved to be even more important than I expected. By the time I got home I was feeling confused in a way that I didn't think possible. The system was amazing (especially the subs). The imagining was the best I've ever heard and they were so easy to listen to yet, I don't think they are for me. I didn't ever expect to be so impressed with a speaker and realize it's not what I was looking for at the same time.

I have the feeling it's not about JTR but rather studio monitors in general. I don't know enough about speakers to be able to pinpoint it exactly, but I think it might be down to the treble. The JTR speakers were more laid back than what I'm used to.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

lol No Andrew......UT was destroyed by Notre Dame :P

Glad you liked them and everyone has their own tastes in sound and what they are looking for. It's good to be discerning to make sure you get what is right for you instead of buying blind. Good luck

Quote:
It was a pleasure to meet you too and hope you team won.

Hearing them proved to be even more important than I expected. By the time I got home I was feeling confused in a way that I didn't think possible. The system was amazing (especially the subs). The imagining was the best I've ever heard and they were so easy to listen to yet, I don't think they are for me. I didn't ever expect to be so impressed with a speaker and realize it's not what I was looking for at the same time.

I have the feeling it's not about JTR but rather studio monitors in general. I don't know enough about speakers to be able to pinpoint it exactly, but I think it might be down to the treble. The JTR speakers were more laid back than what I'm used to.

-Kevin
Old 09-06-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
im havet tickets an Evenening with Godsmack next month. I was hesitant to buy the tickets as this place can be hit or miss on sound quality. Depending on location and how loud they turn it up it can sound ****ty. Im a fan so im hopeful

Kids don't know hat they are missing without records. Long gone are the days of sitting with friends spinning records backwards and all agreeing they heard the artist saying something.lol
I have been hugely disappointed at the live concerts I have gone to lately. The first was "The Experience Hendrix Tour" in 2014 at the Robert Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts which is a mega million engineered acoustic venue and it sounded awful. I spoke to the sound guy during a set break and he admitted it sounded bad and said the space was not properly setup for amplified music. I had seen the Chieftains (mostly acoustic) there the prior year and the sound was no better. It was so bad that I got up and walked around the hall to see if I was sitting in a bad spot. It may have been slightly better at the sound board location but still very weak. A couple of weeks ago we were in Nevada visiting family and caught a Dwight Yoakam concert (sitting 3rd row center). Dwight is a great and talented performer but the sound was mostly too loud and muddled.

Of course for most people, much of the concert experience is just being there live and taking in all of the crowd energy. That's why a lot of people here still go out to the movies. They seek a "herd experience" but for me, ... not so much.

Bottom line, I am spoiled by my system and/or the fact that I was insufficiently impaired at both of these concerts (although they had some great Jack Daniels Lemonade at the the Yoakam concert ). Truth is my system's sound sound quality is the real culprit and having such a capable system, playing well recorded material which is tailored to the space and my taste, and with a remote in my hand for volume ... well it doesn't get any better than that.
Bunga99 likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
lol No Andrew......UT was destroyed by Notre Dame :P

Glad you liked them and everyone has their own tastes in sound and what they are looking for. It's good to be discerning to make sure you get what is right for you instead of buying blind. Good luck
I'm sure I'll start following college football eventually. I don't think it's possible to live in Austin and not.

I designed part of my room around the expectation I'd be buying 212s. I would have ended up just buying them if I hadn't been able to demo them. It just goes to show that it doesn't matter how good a speaker is, you should listen to it yourself before buying. You've saved me a lot of time and money.

Now I'm in trouble. I have no idea where to start. Audiophile speakers are a lot more expensive, harder to drive and tend not to do well behind a screen. I think I'm also limited to being able to demo B&W here in Austin.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I'm sure I'll start following college football eventually. I don't think it's possible to live in Austin and not.

I designed part of my room around the expectation I'd be buying 212s. I would have ended up just buying them if I hadn't been able to demo them. It just goes to show that it doesn't matter how good a speaker is, you should listen to it yourself before buying. You've saved me a lot of time and money.

Now I'm in trouble. I have no idea where to start. Audiophile speakers are a lot more expensive, harder to drive and tend not to do well behind a screen. I think I'm also limited to being able to demo B&W here in Austin.
Have you listened to the B&W's again after you heard the JTR's?
You may find there is something the JTR's had that the B&W's didn't. I was actually torn along a similar route. There seems to be something about the top of the B&W's that I liked more than the JTR's, however the rest of the benefits won it out for me (Low end, Mid-rage, dynamics, and over all efficiency.)

I another thing you *may* be hearing is that the JTR's were run with room correction vs w/o on other speakers you have listened to.
Many things go into the sound of the speaker.

As for other speakers, Salk has a very good sound a bit more like B&W. Also you could try to hit the rocky mountain audio fest in october or Axpona chicago next spring... all the speakers you could ever wish to listen to. =)
KevinH likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis