Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1044 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #31291 of 31297 Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Fellas, I'm giving Andrew a demo tomorrow. I have a handful of demos picked out already.....mostly usual suspects. I bought Fury Road but haven't spun it yet. For those that have watched the Blu, is there a particularly good segment for the JTRs and Orbits?
Sand storm starts around minute 25:00
KevinH likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31292 of 31297 Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 50
3 x 228HTRs are in da house

Ok, boys (and girls?), I have been completely negligent here (if you knew my complete personal situation, you'd probably cut me some slack, but I'm not asking for it...)

You may remember back to my last post on the subject of mounting my 228HTRs... I won't link to it, because it has been rendered 'mute' (he he... just kidding), I mean moot. Allow me to explain (eventually... gotta catch you up on the whole story).

I am pleased to report that the third of the HTRs (you may recall that one of the three failed checkout, and Jeff had to order a new compression driver) arrived in time for our son's visit in mid-August. That was good, because his assistance was going to be crucial in helping me re-outfit the theater's speaker suite. You may also recall that, not only was I replacing my LCR (B&W 803s + FCM8) speakers with these new 228HTRs, but I was also replacing my surrounds and adding ceiling-mounted Atmos speakers (8 x Volt-6s). Fortunately, I had also finished the Volt-6s before my son arrived (as well as retrofitted my subwoofer suite with new SI drivers, but that's yet another story)

So, back to the HTRs... My original plan was to mount the L+Rs outside of the screen area, because I felt that the 80" screen width was just not wide enough for adequate separation. This would mean that the Left front speaker would be obstructing my equipment rack (and access to the bluray player, and the processor, etc.), so I planned on implementing a swing-away mount for the Left speaker. Jeff was so kind as to, without charge, add one of those pro-mount "top hats" to one of my HTRs.

As I began to prepare my son for what was ahead (in terms of the logistics of getting that swing-away mount installed at the proper height, and into a strong enough location), he said, "Why aren't you putting these behind the screen?" I patiently explained that I had everything all figured out, and there was no reason to go through and re-think things, and start looking for new options, etc... When I was finished, he said, "But, why aren't you putting these behind the screen?" He can be persistent... I kinda half-heartedly went through my thinking again... but I was beginning to second-guess myself.

So, we built (out of scrap) us a little shelf on which we could run a quick check to see if putting the HTRs behind the screen would work.

The results were more than a little surprising to me. At this point, I will add a picture of the theater in the 'before time'...

In this photo, you can see where the two B&Ws were located. Those two little red rectangles were the planned location of the new 228HTRs. So, I had planned on having the L+Rs placed just a little outside the previous B&W locations...

So, we set up our test shelf, put the 228HTRs behind the screen and started listening. Well, as I mentioned, the results were surprising. And they were good. The real kicker was that we A-B'ed (not quite double-blind, mind you, but almost) a test where we ran the left HTR as L, and the right B&W as R. While there might have been a slight difference in the timbre of the speakers, it was hardly noticeable, and, well, it was pretty difficult to tell which speaker was which! In other words, was I running with 2 HTRs, behind the screen? Or 1 HTR behind the screen and 1 B&W in front?

Now, I know what you're thinking, here's an old guy... his hearing (and mind) are going... which I might agree with, except... my Son (!) was there, with his 18-year-younger ears (and mind)... and he confirmed what I was experiencing.

Ok, so, let's cut to the chase. Imagine that picture above, without the B&Ws and without the red rectangles, and that's what the front of the theater looks like now. The HTRs are behind the screen, and they sound GREAT!

I am not going to even attempt to qualify the difference in the sound of my theater BJ (before JTR) vs AJ (after JTR). The difference is extreme and dramatic. The 228HTRs are so incredibly strong. There is never the slightest sense of compression. Everything is full-throttle (and, by the way, I got my copy of Mad Max: Fury Road on Tuesday, and watched it yesterday... the performance of the HTRs was beyond my highest expectations).

Thank you, Jeff, for an incredible set of loudspeakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theater.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	925322  
Archaea and RMK! like this.

post #31293 of 31297 Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Hardly been around the forum recently due to work. But seems like there's a lot of talk about MMFR. So I just picked up my copy not to long ago. Gonna give this one a run soon. Haven't played with the system for awhile. Anyway I'm kind of bummed that I can't make it to RMAF. Sister decided to get married the same weekend. Really wanted to check this one out. Oh well, there's always next year..
post #31294 of 31297 Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Hardly been around the forum recently due to work. But seems like there's a lot of talk about MMFR. So I just picked up my copy not to long ago. Gonna give this one a run soon. Haven't played with the system for awhile. Anyway I'm kind of bummed that I can't make it to RMAF. Sister decided to get married the same weekend. Really wanted to check this one out. Oh well, there's always next year..
Not going to RMAF? Darn....was hoping to meet you. Anyone else going?
post #31295 of 31297 Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
Still have work to do in the theater with velvet, but here's a quick tease
Looking good Naylorman, I'll bet they sound great in there.

Nabs17
post #31296 of 31297 Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 403
@swest , first off you certainly have done well in your Volt build and purchasing your HTR's. I was a little confused by your post. You stated,

"The real kicker was that we A-B'ed (not quite double-blind, mind you, but almost) a test where we ran the left HTR as L, and the right B&W as R. While there might have been a slight difference in the timbre of the speakers, it was hardly noticeable, and, well, it was pretty difficult to tell which speaker was which! In other words, was I running with 2 HTRs, behind the screen? Or 1 HTR behind the screen and 1 B&W in front?"

But then,

"I am not going to even attempt to qualify the difference in the sound of my theater BJ (before JTR) vs AJ (after JTR). The difference is extreme and dramatic. The 228HTRs are so incredibly strong. There is never the slightest sense of compression. Everything is full-throttle (and, by the way, I got my copy of Mad Max: Fury Road on Tuesday, and watched it yesterday... the performance of the HTRs was beyond my highest expectations)."

No doubt you mean the JTR's, especially getting them behind the screen, sound much better. Not only the speaker but location of the JTR's but the finesse and ease the JTR's handle dynamics. Nothing ever comes close to even thinking of distorting. As Jeff has said, this is a great feature a speaker must have. So you couldn't tell with left JTR main behind screen and right B&W floor stander out right?

For Sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector http://www.avsforum.com/forum/218-di...l#post36918978
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
post #31297 of 31297 Unread Today, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Yeah, sorry... that was a confusing post.

The B&W Matrix 803 Series II (vintage circa 1995) is a very capable loudspeaker. Witness the fact that this pair has survived in my HT for 20 years (). However, the point of the comparison I mentioned was not to compare the performance of the 803s vs the HTRs, but to compare the placement of the loudspeakers in the system. Consequently, the test passages we ran through the system for this comparison were played at a modest level, while each of us sat at the MLP with eyes closed, and the other played those passages while swapping between the Right Front HTR (behind the screen) and the Right Front 803 (in front of the screen, and wider, ~18 inches).

The result of our, rather unscientific, A-B test was that we were unable to discern a penalty, at least for the movie passages we chose, associated with the loss of the additional 18 inches of separation. Moreover (and this is the part of my earlier post that I'm sure was the source of the confusement... (I just made that one up, whaddya think?)) --> Each of us had a hard time even telling which of the two Right loudspeakers we were listening to . Again, the test material was a movie passage, which was neither demanding, nor played back at anything like Reference level.

I hope this is a little clearer than the earlier post.

- swest

p.s. I forgot to mention that we found the 803 and the HTR to be quite closely level-matched with no preliminary adjustments.

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page