Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1057 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6635Likes

post #31681 of 34821 Old 10-07-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
This is one GTG I wish I could have attended. Just recently came across the thread....if I had found it earlier I think I would have made the 6 hour drive to Alpharetta. Have fun.
I'm not going either but I am looking forward to the read. Hydrazine has put a lot of time and effort into this GTG and they have my 2 favorite speakers and subs on display. How could it not be Awesome? !!!!

Chris

FS: D-Sonic M2 1500 3 channel amp Housed in 7 Ch Chassis
................ Price Lowered .................
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...l#post43160266
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31682 of 34821 Old 10-07-2015, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
I'm not going either but I am looking forward to the read. Hydrazine has put a lot of time and effort into this GTG and they have my 2 favorite speakers and subs on display. How could it not be Awesome? !!!!

Agree with you 100%. I've sub'd that thread so I can check things out and I know he put lot's of effort into getting things ready.

Nabs17
post #31683 of 34821 Old 10-07-2015, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 96
How tight is the ohm load the 212htr maintains throughout its full frequency range? I've read previously that Jeff stated they don't have major dips and are designed to maintain a steady load, basically wondering how tight and how close to 4 ohms they are.

It takes lots of abnormal people to make things easy for normal people.
post #31684 of 34821 Old 10-07-2015, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Unfortunately I have to cancel. I really wanted to go. I basically lost all my money to cancel my flight!
Sorry to hear.
post #31685 of 34821 Old 10-07-2015, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Jeff,

If you happen to have a chance to bring the 210RT, I'm all in.
post #31686 of 34821 Old 10-07-2015, 06:08 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
LOL, no I am quite content right now, however I like the thought of 5 210RT's!
Having heard that setup last weekend, I say amen to that!

Opinions are not facts.
post #31687 of 34821 Old 10-07-2015, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Having heard that setup last weekend, I say amen to that!
I guess that's why I can't help second guessing myself right now. That was on a completely different level than anything I have ever heard, I just can't imagine anything sounding better than what Jeff and DD had set up that night. Granted, I don't have the point of reference that long time JTR customers have.
post #31688 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
LOL, no I am quite content right now, however I like the thought of 5 201RT's!

Why stop at 5, 9 would be better for a 9.2 setup , (I guess 9.2.4 eventually when the manufactures realize that the extremophiles don't want to give up existing channels to add ATMOS/DTS-X).

A setup of all 210's would be really epic. I have not heard them, but your (and @carp 's 215's) are freakin awesome for music! Full range has some intangible benefits for music, at least for my $.02.

Quote:
Unfortunately I have to cancel. I really wanted to go. I basically lost all my money to cancel my flight!

Dude, that really sucks! I would liked to have gone, but the distance is just to great and I hate (really, really hate) dealing with airports and flying.

Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html[/B]

Last edited by NWCgrad; 10-08-2015 at 02:56 AM.
post #31689 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 07:36 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimectrs View Post
I guess that's why I can't help second guessing myself right now. That was on a completely different level than anything I have ever heard, I just can't imagine anything sounding better than what Jeff and DD had set up that night. Granted, I don't have the point of reference that long time JTR customers have.
Well I do have some points of reference and while the 5 210RT's and dual Cap 1400's were indeed awesome, your dual OS's, 212 LCR's and 6 Single 8's will blow your mind and, possibly crack some walls.

Opinions are not facts.
post #31690 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 07:40 AM
Old Soul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Due to limited height in my attic, i am unable to put overhead atmos speakers and I just wanted to check if anyone has tried using the slanted 8's as upward firing Atmos speakers on top of their Mains ? Will it work or are these speakers custom configured for upward firing duty ?
post #31691 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APRisti View Post
Due to limited height in my attic, i am unable to put overhead atmos speakers and I just wanted to check if anyone has tried using the slanted 8's as upward firing Atmos speakers on top of their Mains ? Will it work or are these speakers custom configured for upward firing duty ?
What AVR/SSP do you have? Auro 3D (and AuroMatic) actually call for high wall mounting of the Height speakers and that format might produce better results than going for the compromised Atmos gold. The VOG speaker is optional with Auro.

Just some random thoughts.
APRisti likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
post #31692 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 09:23 AM
Señor Member

I thought I'd post the Audio Circle Reviews of the JTR room at RMAF one more time (promise ). It registers with me as I was there for some of their demo session and I had no idea they were doing reviews. I thought they were just a couple of guys really enjoying the speakers and taking lots notes on IPADS for their own information. That Tool song was the first time I had heard the 210RT's without the subs and to me the bass was notably cleaner but still hit you in the chest powerful. It might be that I am now used to the 215RT subless sound and the 210's are a variation on a theme. In any case, watching these guys digging on the speakers and then reading their comments was a very cool experience. In this hobby it is natural to question your own impressions based upon the comments of another person. It was nice to read something from unbiased third parties that are in sync with my own thoughts.

But as always, my signature line is the bottom line and YMMV. :-)

Quote:
Tyson’s Notes JTR Audio Room

General Room Notes – We were here after hours on Saturday night and had Tool CRANKED and it was absolutely better than being at the concert. Just incredible dynamics, punch, and power. This room also has the DAC Cherry amps that impressed me so much last year. Hearing them again this year I’ll say flat out that they have the best control, slam, dynamics and clarity, without being sterile or cold.

Looking around a bit today – they have room treatments! One of the few vendors that cares enough about the sound of their room to bring them. Kudos.

Sibelius Violin Concerto – Excellent separation of the violin and clarinet, with the massed strings doing their mysterious bit in the background.

Mahler Symphony 6 – Nice forward attention grabbing horn presentation and cymbal crash. And with the whole orchestra comes in at full cry the result is power and fury, yet fully controlled.

Tom Waits - Good, large presentation of this larger than life personality.

Natalie Merchant (Peppery Man) – Soundstage is between the speakers, with nice depth. This is not a laid back “oh, the music is happening somewhere over there, that’s pretty” it’s a grab you by the balls, slap you around and get your ass on the dance floor. I suggest never, ever trying to read (or type) while this system plays – it demands your attention :P

Side note – one of the few rooms set up for multichannel, we spent WAY too long in this room just jamming out to some outstanding surround sound. I always have poo-pooh’d surround sound, being a 2 channel guy at heart, but this is phenomenal and might make me have to change my mind.

Jason's notes

Ok JTR room we had a chance to pop in yesterday because we heard Tools 'Sober' from about five rooms down and thought DAMN!!!! What room is that. I was absolutely stunned at the sound quality and volume coming from this setup. Holy ****!!!!!

Sibelius wow wow won the dynamics and emotion are damn near miraculous.

Mahler are you kidding me????? Easily and by a wide margin the best I have heard this track at the show. Possibly EVER! No joke, this is next level I'm talking about.

Waits huge soundstage incredible control. A bit dry sounding in vocals. Tyson and I traded seats and I think the bass control is better from the seat I was in. In this position it's a bit overblown.

Merchant good holy god the soundstage is incredible! I can't believe I'm hearing this from behind a screen! Seriously great soundstage. Wowy wow wow wow.

The aside from the dryness in Waits vocals the only other issue I have with this setup is the soundstage presents a bit two dimensionally and lacking a it in nuance. I'm sure that if these speakers were set up in a great room and pulled out they would blow my mind. And that wouldn't be a problem.

We're now demoing the surround sound capability of this system. This system is top notch in every way. Staggering stuff here. I am certain that all of their neighbors HATE these guys. We are listening at at least 120 db right now and it sounds ****ing amazing not ****ty loud like JBL but beautiful loud that is hard to describe.

Pulling out a calibrated mic and the level is at 118db with 129.8db peaks. In a 13X19 foot room. This room frightens me. There is just no other way of describing it.

Opinions are not facts.
post #31693 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 09:28 AM

Not ****ty loud like JBL but beautiful loud...
That wouldn't have gone over so well in this thread a month ago.
laeriq and countryWV like this.

post #31694 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 09:40 AM
Old Soul

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
What AVR/SSP do you have? Auro 3D (and AuroMatic) actually call for high wall mounting of the Height speakers and that format might produce better results than going for the compromised Atmos gold. The VOG speaker is optional with Auro.

Just some random thoughts.
Marantz 8802

I think ill save my atmos setup for the bedroom and won't force the issue in the attic. Thanks RMK
post #31695 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 23
For guys with 215RTs or similar. What is your placement of the speakers? How far from the wall, toe in, etc.
post #31696 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 99
This room frightens me. There is just no other way of describing it.

Well said.
RMK!, countryWV and Freakquency like this.
post #31697 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 562
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...-show-report-2...

Room 2016 with JRiver Media enhanced JTR Speakers in 5.2 configuration was a literal show stopper. Be it the crushing dynamics of a Book of Eli gunfight, the subtlety of an Adele live concert or the bombast of John Williams' "The Emperor's March", I sat transfixed, unable to write, even as superlative adjectives flooded my mind. A few scenes from Tron Legacy actually blew the hair on my head back.

Should I ever be fortunate enough to have my own dedicated theater room, I'll be knocking on the door of JTR, and likely, JRivers.

Wayne's comments:

I heard the intro to Mad Max Fury Road on this system at bone-jarring levels. Then the next day had my test CD played through. JTR as done an admirable job of creating a system that can do surround cinema to satisfy the most demanding cinema user, and two-channel with true finesse and clarity. That is no minor feat. A great speaker to consider for a system that will do both jobs.

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/gtg-clubs-associations-audio-fests/133138-rocky-mountain-audio-fest-rmaf-show-report-2015-a.html#ixzz3nzsptX8F

Chris

FS: D-Sonic M2 1500 3 channel amp Housed in 7 Ch Chassis
................ Price Lowered .................
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...l#post43160266
post #31698 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 133
What a great time to be ready to buy HT speakers. I need to make a decision in about 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
countryWV likes this.
post #31699 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsow View Post
For guys with 215RTs or similar. What is your placement of the speakers? How far from the wall, toe in, etc.
I've got the 215RT LCR's behind a 120" wide AT screen. They are really crammed in there and laterally extend to the full width of the screen right up against the wall. I have GIK 224 Panels covering most of the front wall. The L&R have an approx 15° toe in.

I think they might benefit from a little more room to breathe but unfortunately it's not in the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
What a great time to be ready to buy HT speakers. I need to make a decision in about 2 weeks.

True dat ...

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 10-08-2015 at 12:03 PM.
post #31700 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakquency View Post
Not ****ty loud like JBL but beautiful loud...
That wouldn't have gone over so well in this thread a month ago.
Many of the lower end JBL Pro PA speakers are Just Big & Loud. The more expensive models and the specialty products are from a different cloth.

Quote:

Well....there are so many exceptional choices it makes it hard to choose.

Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
post #31701 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:
But as always, my signature line is the bottom line
Um, that's why its called the signature - it is the bottom line in a person's post.
post #31702 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 831
I don't know if anyone has noticed but we are starting to inventory speakers. We have Single 8HT, Slanted 8HT, Single 8HT-lp, Captivator S1 in stock. Soon to be instock Captivator 1400, Captivator S2, Orbit Shifter LFU, Noesis 215RM, Noesis 210RM. We also have some demo speakers here: Noesis 215RT, Noesis 210RT, Captivator 1400.

Also, we have stands in stock for the Noesis 212, 228 and 215RM.
Frank D and countryWV like this.

Last edited by Jeff Permanian; 10-08-2015 at 02:43 PM.
post #31703 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
I don't know if anyone has noticed but we are starting to inventory speakers. We have Single 8HT, Slanted 8HT, Single 8HT-lp, Captivator S1 in stock. Soon to be instock Captivator 1400, Captivator S2, Orbit Shifter LFU, Noesis 215RM, Noesis 210RM. We also have some demo speakers here: Noesis 215RT, Noesis 210RT, Captivator 1400.

Also, we have stands in stock for the Noesis 212, 228 and 215RM.
What's the price of the 212 stands?, didn't see them on your site.

post #31704 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakquency View Post
What's the price of the 212 stands?, didn't see them on your site.
They are $200 each, have the same foot print as their speakers and have leveling feet, removeable cap (can be sand filled) and felt pads. Also, made of Baltic Birch and the same lacquer finished.
Freakquency likes this.
post #31705 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Which speakers, in what arrangement, were in the incredible JTR room?
post #31706 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 904
I had a great time at RMAF again this year. With a 5.1 channel room, we had to allocate a lot more of our setup time for other things besides audio calibration. We had to put together the projector screen and stand; create our own screen wall at the front of the room; setup 13 "bass" traps in the room; setup the projector, calibrate, and make a 3D LUT file; unpack and setup 5 amplifiers, unpack and setup 5 speakers, unpack and setup 2 subwoofers, connect all cables, and a do a bunch of other setup stuff.

I arrived at about 10 am and started carrying things up to the room with my son and his friend. Jeff arrived at about 2:45 pm after I had just finished getting the projector screen setup. I took the boys home in the evening. Jeff and I then worked until about 1 am, slept on the floor of the room, and woke up at 6 am and continued to setup until the show started at 10 am on Friday. We did a few more tweaks with speaker location and some bass EQ on Saturday and Sunday, but left everything else alone.

It was great seeing dlbeck, RMK!, jaimectrs, sandbagger, Mark Seaton, and others. I also saw some guys I've known from other forums. It was also nice to finally meet Jim Hillegass, the owner of JRiver.

I'll start at the beginning of the signal chain and explain a few things.

Media Server - I use the media server which I built and is used daily by my family for tasks like spreadsheets, documents, e-mail, audio playback, Blu-ray playback, gaming, etc. It uses a Silverstone GD07 case that I've customized to allow for a Corsair H75 water cooler. This cools the CPU and is completely silent. The graphics cards is a MSI GTX 970 and is completely silent (no fan in use) until the temp is over 60 Celsius, which doesn't happen at all during audio use. The power supply is a Seasonic Platinum which is also completely silent (no fan in use) until the load is over 50%, which never happens. There are six 120 mm Noctua fans, all for air intake, that spin at about 300 rpm. These cannot be heard unless the case cover is off and the ear is next to the fans. The drive is a Samsung M2 SSD drive that mounts directly to the motherboard. It has no moving parts and there are no cables. So, I have a completely silent media server that can playback just about any media and be used for any task.

Media Storage - My Media Server has Thunderbolt connections so I use an external ThunderBay 4 drive array connected to the server by a Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable. I only have the array loaded with three 4 TB drives so I have 12 TB of disc space. Since the drive array is cooled with a small fan, it was placed in the bathroom so it couldn't be heard at all. The throughput is so great that you can rip and play multiple Blu-rays concurrently.

JRiver Media Center - This is what makes everything work so smoothly on the Media Server. I had Views setup for Blu-ray Movies, Blu-ray Concerts, CD, Hi-Rez, DSD, and RMAF Blu-ray Concert Songs. I also had an RMAF playlist for 2 channel audio. Since I used different settings and EQ for multi-channel vs stereo, I had two Zones setup. I used a feature called ZoneSwitch to automatically switch to the correct Zone depending on channel count.

The multi-channel zone had bass management set to use a 60 Hz crossover with a 12 db/octave high pass on the speakers and 24 db/octave low pass on the subs. I pulled down a few room modes with two PEQ filters and also applied a low shelf filter at 40 Hz with a gain of -5 dB. This provided for good speaker/subwoofer integration and eliminated too much room gain. Since people sit in a lot of different places (we had six seats) you need to make sure you don't correct just for the sweet spot and leave other seats worse. It is a balancing act and judgment call that will leave those sitting in the sweet spot without the best possible sound, but won't sound as bad as it could in the other seats. The stereo zone had a broad gain centered at 255 Hz that we pulled down a little with a filter. A 28 Hz 12db/octave high pass filter was also used for the stereo zone.

All processing is done at 64-bits and then dithered to the maximum bit-depth of the DAC. In this case it is 32-bits. This means that volume control is complete transparent until it is too quiet to hear.

Control
JRiver can be controlled multiple ways. I had my laptop in the room and had it setup as a client for the server. I could setup and change the playlist from it. I had a Logitech K830 keyboard on hand. It is the best theater keyboard I've used. It has illuminated keys for a dark room, but you can also turn off the illumination. Most of the control was done using the Gizmo, Eos, or JRemote apps. Both Jeff and I had these on our phone and would add music or concerts to the playlist, skip songs, etc. The apps, laptop, or keyboard could all control the volume.

DAC - I brought my own MOTU 1248. It has dual 8-channel ESS Sabre32 DAC chips. However, one chip is only setup to use 4 outputs so there are 12 outputs total. You can use the left and right output on a different DAC chip for no crosstalk. The DAC has DC-coupled balanced outputs. It has a Thunderbolt connection, but that is currently only supported on MAC. I use the asynchronous USB connection which supports up to 64 channels in/out with the MOTU drivers. Using 2 or 7 channels is such a small part of the bandwidth capability that it is impossible to have any audio related issues when properly configured. The SNR is rated at -123 dB. However, this noise is at 192 kHz which is the maximum sample rate. Within the audible band, the noise floor is around -140 dB at its highest point of 20 kHz. As you go down the frequency spectrum to DC, the noise floor continues to diminish. The key thing benefit of the DAC, which is often overlooked, is that it can provide +20 dBu (7.75 V) of output. Having a high output voltage lowers the noise floor of the entire signal chain and allows one to use lower gain amps - like the Maraschino Cherry amps.

Amps
I used my own King 60V Desktop King Maraschino amps for the L/R and Tommy of Digital Amp Company sent me some of the new hanging Maraschino amps for the Center, Left Surround, and Right Surround. These are all connected to the MOTU with balanced cables. I was going to bring my big Cherries, but these are lighter, easier to place in such a small room, have tighter bass when used with fullrange speakers. They are also lower gain which requires more input voltage, but can lead to an overall lower noise floor. The Maraschino provides constant voltage to any impedance, has a super low output impedance, and can handle lots of current. They are very smooth and detailed with massive dynamics. The Maraschino can supply 400 watts continuous at 4 ohms.

Power Supply
Torus Power RM20 - I own this and two other Torus Power RM2.5's. This provides constant power for the amps and subwoofers. It is capable of delivering 100 amps for 10 seconds and 200 amps for 1 second and 400 amps for 1/2 cycle. This eliminates the hotel electrical fluctuations from causing any issues. It also enables the Maraschino Cherry's to be capable of some incredible dynamics.

Speakers
The speakers used were five JTR Noesis 210RT. These are a 3-way speaker with horn loading down to 400 Hz. Two 10" woofers handle below 400 Hz. They have a spec'd frequency response of 38 Hz -24 kHz, but were flat to below 20 Hz at RMAF. Jeff specs all his frequency responses in free air unlike other companies that include room gain. They have a 95 dB 1W/1M sensitivity and can handle 2000 watts RMS. Jeff designs his own cabinets and uses 24 mm, 18 ply, void free Baltic birch for these which is cut on a CNC machine.

Subwoofers
Jeff brought two Captivator 1400's. These have an actual third party verified frequency response of +/- 1dB from 16-200 Hz. Using two subwoofers smoothed the bass response and lowered distortion even further. It also increased maximum output.

Room Treatments
Room treatments or the room itself are the last thing the reflected sound hits before your ears. We had a total of 13 "bass" traps in the room. I say "bass", but they are really broadband traps. All the room treatments are owned by me.

Projector
The projector was a DLA-RS67U supplied by JVC. I calibrated the gamma, greyscale, and color and then created a 3D LUT file to use in JRiver. A 3D LUT file changes the output from the HTPC so that when the projector incorrectly changes the final output it is closer to being correct. It is similar to adding a frequency dip to the digital audio signal so that when the room creates the peak at the same frequency it will be closer to correct. The projector was almost completely inaudible at low power mode. I had it at high power mode some of the time. While it seemed loud to me when no media was playing, as soon as media was playing you couldn't hear it.

Screen
The screen was a Seymour Screen Excellence Enlightor-4K with the Series-3 fixed frame. Since we were playing mostly 16:9 concert Blu-rays, we used a 126" diagonal 16:9 screen. The screen came with some T-stands to raise it about 23 inches off the floor. I added a 4' piece of aluminum u-tract to each side that went to the ceiling. Attached to the u-track was a 152" piece of aluminum angle that went from one side of the room to the other. I hung three panels of black Seymour Millibell fabric from the 152" aluminum using velcro. The blacked out the sides and top. One the bottom of the screen I stretched a piece of velvet lycra to black out the bottom. The velvet extended about 3' into the room on the floor.

Interesting facts about the room:
Shortest speaker cables - The speaker cables were 6"-18" long . These let the amp be located behind the speaker and keep the impedance low from the amp to the speaker.
Smallest gauge speaker wire - We used 16 gauge wire for some channels. At 12" this has the same voltage drop as 16' of 4 gauge wire or 4' of 10 gauge wire. Nobody else at the show probably had either wire this small of gauge or with this low of voltage drop.
Longest interconnects -The distance from source to left surround was about 60'.
Highest output - I have an Omnimic that is SPL calibrated with a Galaxy SPL Calibrator. I hooked it up for some songs in the room. When Tyson and Pez from Audiocircle were in the room we hit peaks of 129.8 dB Z-Weighted and still had 7 dB of gain left in the tank. This is from 4 meters from the front speakers! We later hit 133 dB. At these levels the sound remains crystal clear with no distortion or compression.
Most Speakers in Use - The Martin Logan room had four speakers - we had five.
Only room capable of output flat to DC - Not only is the DAC DC Coupled, but the Maraschino amp is too for flat frequency response to 0 Hz.
Fewest Visible Cables - At a show where many like to show off cables this probably seems like a strange fact - especially due to the number of speakers, subs, and amps we were using in the room (seven). We had an 8 channel Mogami snake on the right side of the room and a single Mogami Gold interconnect visible on the left side of the room when seated in one of the chairs. That is it.

Problems:
On the first day the DAC kept loosing its connection to the HTPC. It only took a few seconds to refresh the DAC's mixer in a browser window or redo the USB connection, but it is embarrassing to have problems. It turned out that both the HTPC and DAC were connected to my Torus Power RM2.5 which puts out 2.5 amps continuously. My son had connected things and I hadn't double checked his work. The maximum requirement of the DAC is .5 amps and it is plugged into the Torus at home. The maximum requirement of the HTPC power supply is 13 amps and it is plugged into the wall at home. As soon as I plugged the HTPC into the wall at RMAF, the problem went away. The DAC was experiencing a drop in power that was enough to lose the connection, but not enough to shut it down.

The second problem happened twice on the last day. The HTPC either froze up or rebooted. Both times were when inserting a CD from an attendee. We had played a Rush Blu-ray other Blu-rays directly from the disc with no issue, but it had the problem with the CD. This one was a little more complicated and I didn't figure it out until after the show. I have both JRiver Media Center V20 and V21 installed on my HTPC since I sometimes have to do testing on V20 to help someone out. V20 was still set as the default media player in Windows for a few file types. When the CD's were inserted, V20 was being launched. It attempted to start playback at a different sample rate on the audio device that what was currently being used by V21. A pro audio audio device, or any audio device for that matter, can only play back one sample rate at a time. Attemps to use multiple sample rates were causing the audio device driver to crash the HTPC.
carp, rcohen, RMK! and 13 others like this.
post #31707 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

I take it you sold your M2's, even if you took it a hit, full JTR Amos HT for you and still money left over
post #31708 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
a lot of stuff
Awesome! Thank you. Great set up!
post #31709 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

A person could spend more and get less.
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #31710 of 34821 Old 10-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I had a great time at RMAF again this year. With a 5.1 channel room, we had to allocate a lot more of our setup time for other things besides audio calibration. We had to put together the projector screen and stand; create our own screen wall at the front of the room; setup 13 "bass" traps in the room; setup the projector, calibrate, and make a 3D LUT file; unpack and setup 5 amplifiers, unpack and setup 5 speakers, unpack and setup 2 subwoofers, connect all cables, and a do a bunch of other setup stuff.

I arrived at about 10 am and started carrying things up to the room with my son and his friend. Jeff arrived at about 2:45 pm after I had just finished getting the projector screen setup. I took the boys home in the evening. Jeff and I then worked until about 1 am, slept on the floor of the room, and woke up at 6 am and continued to setup until the show started at 10 am on Friday. We did a few more tweaks with speaker location and some bass EQ on Saturday and Sunday, but left everything else alone.

It was great seeing dlbeck, RMK!, jaimectrs, sandbagger, Mark Seaton, and others. I also saw some guys I've known from other forums. It was also nice to finally meet Jim Hillegass, the owner of JRiver.

I'll start at the beginning of the signal chain and explain a few things.

Media Server - I use the media server which I built and is used daily by my family for tasks like spreadsheets, documents, e-mail, audio playback, Blu-ray playback, gaming, etc. It uses a Silverstone GD07 case that I've customized to allow for a Corsair H75 water cooler. This cools the CPU and is completely silent. The graphics cards is a MSI GTX 970 and is completely silent (no fan in use) until the temp is over 60 Celsius, which doesn't happen at all during audio use. The power supply is a Seasonic Platinum which is also completely silent (no fan in use) until the load is over 50%, which never happens. There are six 120 mm Noctua fans, all for air intake, that spin at about 300 rpm. These cannot be heard unless the case cover is off and the ear is next to the fans. The drive is a Samsung M2 SSD drive that mounts directly to the motherboard. It has no moving parts and there are no cables. So, I have a completely silent media server that can playback just about any media and be used for any task.

Media Storage - My Media Server has Thunderbolt connections so I use an external ThunderBay 4 drive array connected to the server by a Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable. I only have the array loaded with three 4 TB drives so I have 12 TB of disc space. Since the drive array is cooled with a small fan, it was placed in the bathroom so it couldn't be heard at all. The throughput is so great that you can rip and play multiple Blu-rays concurrently.

JRiver Media Center - This is what makes everything work so smoothly on the Media Server. I had Views setup for Blu-ray Movies, Blu-ray Concerts, CD, Hi-Rez, DSD, and RMAF Blu-ray Concert Songs. I also had an RMAF playlist for 2 channel audio. Since I used different settings and EQ for multi-channel vs stereo, I had two Zones setup. I used a feature called ZoneSwitch to automatically switch to the correct Zone depending on channel count.

The multi-channel zone had bass management set to use a 60 Hz crossover with a 12 db/octave high pass on the speakers and 24 db/octave low pass on the subs. I pulled down a few room modes with two PEQ filters and also applied a low shelf filter at 40 Hz with a gain of -5 dB. This provided for good speaker/subwoofer integration and eliminated too much room gain. Since people sit in a lot of different places (we had six seats) you need to make sure you don't correct just for the sweet spot and leave other seats worse. It is a balancing act and judgment call that will leave those sitting in the sweet spot without the best possible sound, but won't sound as bad as it could in the other seats. The stereo zone had a broad gain centered at 255 Hz that we pulled down a little with a filter. A 28 Hz 12db/octave high pass filter was also used for the stereo zone.

All processing is done at 64-bits and then dithered to the maximum bit-depth of the DAC. In this case it is 32-bits. This means that volume control is complete transparent until it is too quiet to hear.

Control
JRiver can be controlled multiple ways. I had my laptop in the room and had it setup as a client for the server. I could setup and change the playlist from it. I had a Logitech K830 keyboard on hand. It is the best theater keyboard I've used. It has illuminated keys for a dark room, but you can also turn off the illumination. Most of the control was done using the Gizmo, Eos, or JRemote apps. Both Jeff and I had these on our phone and would add music or concerts to the playlist, skip songs, etc. The apps, laptop, or keyboard could all control the volume.

DAC - I brought my own MOTU 1248. It has dual 8-channel ESS Sabre32 DAC chips. However, one chip is only setup to use 4 outputs so there are 12 outputs total. You can use the left and right output on a different DAC chip for no crosstalk. The DAC has DC-coupled balanced outputs. It has a Thunderbolt connection, but that is currently only supported on MAC. I use the asynchronous USB connection which supports up to 64 channels in/out with the MOTU drivers. Using 2 or 7 channels is such a small part of the bandwidth capability that it is impossible to have any audio related issues when properly configured. The SNR is rated at -123 dB. However, this noise is at 192 kHz which is the maximum sample rate. Within the audible band, the noise floor is around -140 dB at its highest point of 20 kHz. As you go down the frequency spectrum to DC, the noise floor continues to diminish. The key thing benefit of the DAC, which is often overlooked, is that it can provide +20 dBu (7.75 V) of output. Having a high output voltage lowers the noise floor of the entire signal chain and allows one to use lower gain amps - like the Maraschino Cherry amps.

Amps
I used my own King 60V Desktop King Maraschino amps for the L/R and Tommy of Digital Amp Company sent me some of the new hanging Maraschino amps for the Center, Left Surround, and Right Surround. These are all connected to the MOTU with balanced cables. I was going to bring my big Cherries, but these are lighter, easier to place in such a small room, have tighter bass when used with fullrange speakers. They are also lower gain which requires more input voltage, but can lead to an overall lower noise floor. The Maraschino provides constant voltage to any impedance, has a super low output impedance, and can handle lots of current. They are very smooth and detailed with massive dynamics. The Maraschino can supply 400 watts continuous at 4 ohms.

Power Supply
Torus Power RM20 - I own this and two other Torus Power RM2.5's. This provides constant power for the amps and subwoofers. It is capable of delivering 100 amps for 10 seconds and 200 amps for 1 second and 400 amps for 1/2 cycle. This eliminates the hotel electrical fluctuations from causing any issues. It also enables the Maraschino Cherry's to be capable of some incredible dynamics.

Speakers
The speakers used were five JTR Noesis 210RT. These are a 3-way speaker with horn loading down to 400 Hz. Two 10" woofers handle below 400 Hz. They have a spec'd frequency response of 38 Hz -24 kHz, but were flat to below 20 Hz at RMAF. Jeff specs all his frequency responses in free air unlike other companies that include room gain. They have a 95 dB 1W/1M sensitivity and can handle 2000 watts RMS. Jeff designs his own cabinets and uses 24 mm, 18 ply, void free Baltic birch for these which is cut on a CNC machine.

Subwoofers
Jeff brought two Captivator 1400's. These have an actual third party verified frequency response of +/- 1dB from 16-200 Hz. Using two subwoofers smoothed the bass response and lowered distortion even further. It also increased maximum output.

Room Treatments
Room treatments or the room itself are the last thing the reflected sound hits before your ears. We had a total of 13 "bass" traps in the room. I say "bass", but they are really broadband traps. All the room treatments are owned by me.

Projector
The projector was a DLA-RS67U supplied by JVC. I calibrated the gamma, greyscale, and color and then created a 3D LUT file to use in JRiver. A 3D LUT file changes the output from the HTPC so that when the projector incorrectly changes the final output it is closer to being correct. It is similar to adding a frequency dip to the digital audio signal so that when the room creates the peak at the same frequency it will be closer to correct. The projector was almost completely inaudible at low power mode. I had it at high power mode some of the time. While it seemed loud to me when no media was playing, as soon as media was playing you couldn't hear it.

Screen
The screen was a Seymour Screen Excellence Enlightor-4K with the Series-3 fixed frame. Since we were playing mostly 16:9 concert Blu-rays, we used a 126" diagonal 16:9 screen. The screen came with some T-stands to raise it about 23 inches off the floor. I added a 4' piece of aluminum u-tract to each side that went to the ceiling. Attached to the u-track was a 152" piece of aluminum angle that went from one side of the room to the other. I hung three panels of black Seymour Millibell fabric from the 152" aluminum using velcro. The blacked out the sides and top. One the bottom of the screen I stretched a piece of velvet lycra to black out the bottom. The velvet extended about 3' into the room on the floor.

Interesting facts about the room:
Shortest speaker cables - The speaker cables were 6"-18" long . These let the amp be located behind the speaker and keep the impedance low from the amp to the speaker.
Smallest gauge speaker wire - We used 16 gauge wire for some channels. At 12" this has the same voltage drop as 16' of 4 gauge wire or 4' of 10 gauge wire. Nobody else at the show probably had either wire this small of gauge or with this low of voltage drop.
Longest interconnects -The distance from source to left surround was about 60'.
Highest output - I have an Omnimic that is SPL calibrated with a Galaxy SPL Calibrator. I hooked it up for some songs in the room. When Tyson and Pez from Audiocircle were in the room we hit peaks of 129.8 dB Z-Weighted and still had 7 dB of gain left in the tank. This is from 4 meters from the front speakers! We later hit 133 dB. At these levels the sound remains crystal clear with no distortion or compression.
Most Speakers in Use - The Martin Logan room had four speakers - we had five.
Only room capable of output flat to DC - Not only is the DAC DC Coupled, but the Maraschino amp is too for flat frequency response to 0 Hz.
Fewest Visible Cables - At a show where many like to show off cables this probably seems like a strange fact - especially due to the number of speakers, subs, and amps we were using in the room (seven). We had an 8 channel Mogami snake on the right side of the room and a single Mogami Gold interconnect visible on the left side of the room when seated in one of the chairs. That is it.

Problems:
On the first day the DAC kept loosing its connection to the HTPC. It only took a few seconds to refresh the DAC's mixer in a browser window or redo the USB connection, but it is embarrassing to have problems. It turned out that both the HTPC and DAC were connected to my Torus Power RM2.5 which puts out 2.5 amps continuously. My son had connected things and I hadn't double checked his work. The maximum requirement of the DAC is .5 amps and it is plugged into the Torus at home. The maximum requirement of the HTPC power supply is 13 amps and it is plugged into the wall at home. As soon as I plugged the HTPC into the wall at RMAF, the problem went away. The DAC was experiencing a drop in power that was enough to lose the connection, but not enough to shut it down.

The second problem happened twice on the last day. The HTPC either froze up or rebooted. Both times were when inserting a CD from an attendee. We had played a Rush Blu-ray other Blu-rays directly from the disc with no issue, but it had the problem with the CD. This one was a little more complicated and I didn't figure it out until after the show. I have both JRiver Media Center V20 and V21 installed on my HTPC since I sometimes have to do testing on V20 to help someone out. V20 was still set as the default media player in Windows for a few file types. When the CD's were inserted, V20 was being launched. It attempted to start playback at a different sample rate on the audio device that what was currently being used by V21. A pro audio audio device, or any audio device for that matter, can only play back one sample rate at a time. Attemps to use multiple sample rates were causing the audio device driver to crash the HTPC.
Finally, some details from the unsung hero of the JTR room. Michael did an amazing job with this setup and deserves a lot of the credit for the very positive reviews. Like any good coach will tell you, you win with great players and Michael had some of the best on his roster.

As to the problems he encountered, I was only at the show Sat-Sun and probably only spent an hour or two in total in the JTR room. I was there to see what else was out there and I found nothing that made me feel an itch to change. Back to Michael, this guy has some serious skills and if any of you are setting up HT's and want someone to help out, he is really the man. He is one of if not the best with JRiver and he can perform audio and video calibrations too. I don't know what his current situation is regarding helping out others, but I'm sure if you are building out a new room and want someone who will truly optimize your AV I can't think of a better choice. I'm sure you will have to kick him a few bucks for his time but he loves this stuff and it shows in his excellent work.

Opinions are not facts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page