Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1060 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6575Likes

Old 10-12-2015, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
No political views in the film. Just a story of visiting his father's grave.

I've seen it 3x. Preordered as well and this is the sole reason I am doing a HT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be great, Roger is very political and it shows in his music and concert presentations. Despite my concerns I pre-ordered the blu ray due to the sheer genius of the Wall. Everytime I hear the disc it takes me back to the late 1970's.

I also ordered David Gilmour's new solo album. Hopefully it will be good, it has a blu ray of the work in surround sound. Could be fun.

I bet the production on the Wall blu ray will be awesome.

Jealous that you saw the tour three time. I was out of country and the tour didn't come to Cambodia.

NWCgrad's Mostly DIY Basement HT - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2015, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
That would be great, Roger is very political and it shows in his music and concert presentations. Despite my concerns I pre-ordered the blu ray due to the sheer genius of the Wall. Everytime I hear the disc it takes me back to the late 1970's.

I also ordered David Gilmour's new solo album. Hopefully it will be good, it has a blu ray of the work in surround sound. Could be fun.

I bet the production on the Wall blu ray will be awesome.

Jealous that you saw the tour three time. I was out of country and the tour didn't come to Cambodia.

Saw this film 3x so far.

Saw the concert 18x. Best thing I have ever experienced!

Old 10-12-2015, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Saw this film 3x so far.

Saw the concert 18x. Best thing I have ever experienced!

jlpowell84 likes this.

NWCgrad's Mostly DIY Basement HT - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
Old 10-12-2015, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince32837 View Post
Guys-

Namon (Nabs17) was kind enough to invite me over for a JTR demo. He's packing 2x215RT for L&R, a 215RM for C, and S8 & Volts for surrounds. For base he has the 2x Cap 1400's. Older Sony Pearl projector and Stewart screen. He converted his living rm/den to his theater. Impressive job, well-treated GIK products room (diffusers, bass traps, absorbers at all key reflection points. All equipment is housed Dual-Atlantic pro racks, in a separate room...Irule for remote control. All signals pass through Mini-DSP 88a for filtering and control.

Watched highlight scenes form Mad Max (latest one), John Wick nightclub scene twice at -12dB then at -2 db, some music clips etc...You could hear each shot like a sound projectile from Wick ....Holy Cr** ....He has the 215's filtered at 90 Hz & up.

Namon, thanks for the demo, pleasure meeting you in person, putting a face to a name on AVS. You did an awesome job setting up a standard house room and turning it into a total theater room!

I will try to get hold of Jeff this week, settle my JTR order.

Vince

Namon, Thank you so much for demo'ing your system.
Vince, I'm finally back in the office from being gone at a trade show and G2G.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Sounds like it essentially came out as a draw as far as SQ goes, which would make the 212HTR's an excellent value proposition.

I do have to wonder though, outside of extension what do you gain from 215RM's over the 212HTR's if they already sound THAT good.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:47 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magibeg View Post
Sounds like it essentially came out as a draw as far as SQ goes, which would make the 212HTR's an excellent value proposition.

I do have to wonder though, outside of extension what do you gain from 215RM's over the 212HTR's if they already sound THAT good.
Probably not much, with the 212's you gain in efficiency what you give up in extension. The 215RM's, 210RT's and of course the 215RT's are capable of full range music playback. That is the attraction and IMHO, the only advantage.
Magibeg likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:05 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Dang thats serious bass! I should be able to hit 130db port tune and up in my room with dual ported FTW-21s with a Crest Pro Lite 7.5 running them. 2000 watts the driver models 126db. I am curious though for you electricians...They say to run the Peavy IPR2-7500 and Crest Pro Lite 7.5 off a 20amp circuit. But don't they put out more than a 20amp circuit can handle? I don't quite understand peak voltage, sustained, etc...

Yea I wanted to go with the Panny 8000 and may dial it down to do so. Would your selected screen size be max you recommend for that PJ? I was thinking I may need to build a projector box and get a smaller commercial PJ to hide fan noise. I am just presented with the challenge of not cramming the JBLs so close together with their unique shape (shallow and wide).

Knock out the angle to the left of your screen
... and with it my equipment closet plus relocating the double entry door and a load bearing wall. Great idea ...

Opinions are not facts.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Fedex won't let me pick up my 212s without charging an early pick up fee of $105.00, one day in transit, three days sitting in a warehouse, cripes!

It takes lots of abnormal people to make things easy for normal people.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:39 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakquency View Post
Fedex won't let me pick up my 212s without charging an early pick up fee of $105.00, one day in transit, three days sitting in a warehouse, cripes!
That is absolute garbage. I'd talk to someone else there, no way that would fly with me.
Freakquency likes this.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
... and with it my equipment closet plus relocating the double entry door and a load bearing wall. Great idea ...
I expected you to come back with, "Um my stairs come up that way???" At least I tried
Old 10-12-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 1079
Quote:
They want to charge you for saving them the hassle of delivering??? Sheez, that's as lame as the new USPS policy of charging extra if you write "fragile" on your package. I think the fee on that is like $10.
Freakquency likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Old 10-12-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Yea that sucks! Hit them with a threat to make a official complaint to the BBB. I got no where with Verizon when they tried to charge me $478 for a single month of internet service (old house thank God!). I was advised to make a case with BBB and oh how things changed very quickly. Of course your not being charged phantom data numbers (which equaled mega overages) when no one is home for days
Freakquency likes this.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 806
I'm not surprised about the results from the GTG. Thats what I would have expected having heard both.
The subs sounded like it wasn't the best room for them. Sucks but it is what it is.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 10-12-2015, 09:11 AM

They claim the pallets are buried in the back of the trailer, and I need a letter from Jeff to release it, but still charge $105,whatever.
I did get my crown XLS 2500s though today ups, I'll spend my last night with my studio 100s running each amp bridged mono before handing them over to my audio cohort.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Yea I wanted to go with the Panny 8000 and may dial it down to do so. Would your selected screen size be max you recommend for that PJ? I was thinking I may need to build a projector box and get a smaller commercial PJ to hide fan noise. I am just presented with the challenge of not cramming the JBLs so close together with their unique shape (shallow and wide).
I got the new screen up today and took a few crappy pictures just to give a general idea of brightness and size before and after. The second picture is the resolution of my old screen on the new screen before I zoomed in. As far as brightness, I was very happy with it and didn't notice much of a difference going from my old non AT 119" screen. I was running the Panasonic in eco mode so it can still go brighter. Also the throw is about 20 ft right now and that will decrease to about 17.5 ft when I put the speakers behind it. I think that I could have gone 150" wide (at least) and would still have been happy with the picture quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1008.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	991209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1013.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	991217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1015.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	991225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1009.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	991233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1017.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	991241  

Name:	IMG_1010.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	991249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1019.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	991257  
Nabs17, carp, jbrown15 and 2 others like this.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Guys-

Namon (Nabs17) was kind enough to invite me over for a JTR demo. He's packing 2x215RT for L&R, a 215RM for C, and S8 & Volts for surrounds. For base he has the 2x Cap 1400's. Older Sony Pearl projector and Stewart screen. He converted his living rm/den to his theater. Impressive job, well-treated GIK products room (diffusers, bass traps, absorbers at all key reflection points. All equipment is housed Dual-Atlantic pro racks, in a separate room...Irule for remote control. All signals pass through Mini-DSP 88a for filtering and control.

Watched highlight scenes form Mad Max (latest one), John Wick nightclub scene twice at -12dB then at -2 db, some music clips etc...You could hear each shot like a sound projectile from Wick ....Holy Cr** ....He has the 215's filtered at 90 Hz & up.

Namon, thanks for the demo, pleasure meeting you in person, putting a face to a name on AVS. You did an awesome job setting up a standard house room and turning it into a total theater room!

I will try to get hold of Jeff this week, settle my JTR order.

Vince
Vince, you are too kind. It was my pleasure having you over for some HT time, discussions and getting to meet you as well. As we discussed, when one places an order for JTR speakers it good to have friends on delivery day because (as you saw) they are built like tanks and are all but impossible to move by yourself, especially with the firepower you're looking to order. YOU are going to have one killer JTR system once you place your order and I can't wait to hear it in your room....which is beautiful by the way.

You are welcome anytime and just let me know when you need me to help.

Nabs17
Old 10-12-2015, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
Namon, Thank you so much for demo'ing your system.
Not a problem at all Jeff. 215's and Cap's pretty much sell themselves once they are heard.

Of course if you want to thank me by sending me a 3rd 1400....well who am I to stop you.

There's another guy here in the Tampa area who I think is interested in the 215's and I'm going to have him over soon for demo. He had a conflict and couldn't make it when Vince came over.

Nabs17
Old 10-12-2015, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
No noise complaints yet, but the young black bear that had been visiting our backyard 4 nights in a row seems to have quit showing up since the 215RM's arrived, I think they are scaring it away

Some XLS 2500s are mighty tempting, just don't want to end up with any hiss or the inability to hit 2000W due to low AVR output. I see the new v2 Crown XLS's have switchable input sensitivity (.775Vrms or 1.4Vrms), for only the low low price of twice the cost. My AVR is a Denon 4520CI currently, but they seem to just list the input sensitivity in the manual, but now how hot the pre-outs are.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Point Source

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadus View Post
No noise complaints yet, but the young black bear that had been visiting our backyard 4 nights in a row seems to have quit showing up since the 215RM's arrived, I think they are scaring it away

Some XLS 2500s are mighty tempting, just don't want to end up with any hiss or the inability to hit 2000W due to low AVR output. I see the new v2 Crown XLS's have switchable input sensitivity (.775Vrms or 1.4Vrms), for only the low low price of twice the cost. My AVR is a Denon 4520CI currently, but they seem to just list the input sensitivity in the manual, but now how hot the pre-outs are.

It's the same on the gen1 drivecores. The RCA ins are automatically the lower voltage spec, while the XLR is the higher. Your denon will operate the RCA ins just fine on that amp.
Sadus likes this.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 899
I figure that Jeff has driven at least 3,700 miles in the past 2 weeks with about 54 hours on the road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Map.PNG
Views:	38
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	991385  
RMK! likes this.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadus View Post
My AVR is a Denon 4520CI currently, but they seem to just list the input sensitivity in the manual, but now how hot the pre-outs are.
Where it says "Output Connectors: Digital D/A output" is referring to the output of the pre-outs when using digital input like HDMI. It is rated at 2.0 V.
Sadus likes this.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I figure that Jeff has driven at least 3,700 miles in the past 2 weeks with about 54 hours on the road.
Jeff should have stopped at my warehouse on the way for lunch, I'm just off I-80 a few blocks in Des Moines IA.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
Quote:

Lightweight!!!

He didn't have to do it with screaming/puking/"I gotta go to the bathroom daddy" kids in the back seat!
lbrown105 and Freakquency like this.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
No political views in the film. Just a story of visiting his father's grave.

I've seen it 3x. Preordered as well and this is the sole reason I am doing a HT.

That's awesome, some artists feel the need to use the platform to feed their views instead of performing. I can handle a song with that in mind, im glad he didn't muck up a one of a kind audio and visual experience like The Wall. I still hope the blu has a concert only option. I saw PF in the late 80's, they had a flying pig with giant genitalia, at least I think it was part of the show

Does the story slow down the movie or is it a quick minute here and there then back to the show?
Old 10-12-2015, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They claim the pallets are buried in the back of the trailer, and I need a letter from Jeff to release it, but still charge $105,whatever.
Wear your hipwader's when you finally get the sub. You'll need them to cleanly wade through all the BS they're shoveling.
Freakquency likes this.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was talking to Jeff this afternoon and he sounded a bit... well, sluggish. Guess that explains it.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So how would once go about keeping i.e. Cap 1400s and 215RMs level matched playing above reference when the AVR wants to calibrate things so -0 is 105db, just using a SPL meter I guess? Come to think of it, I was measuring 120db last night at -0 in our ~25x30 living room with just the AVR's amps, but did have the Cap 1400s turned up a bit

Last edited by Sadus; 10-12-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Called Jeff today, chatted for 20 min about my layout.

I placed my JTR order-

3 x 215RT LCR (behind AT screen)
6 x 228 (2 rows of side surr.+rears)
1 x OS LFU (behind AT screen)

Looking from outside the JTR fence for 2 years, now stepping in real deep!

Vince
Nabs17, carp, RMK! and 7 others like this.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

I placed my JTR order-

Vince

haha real deep is an understatement. Congrats dude! Thats going to be a kick a** system.

JTR 212HT (LCR) | JTR Slanted 8's (Surround Back and Sides) | Dual JTR Captivator S2 Subwoofers
Emotiva XPR-5 | Emotiva XPR-2 | Marantz AV8802A | Kaleidescape Strato + Vault
JVC RS600 Projector |
Sony HW40ES Projector | 138" 2:35 Stewart StudioTek 130
Playstation 4 | Xbox One
Old 10-12-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:

I placed my JTR order-

Vince
Do you have the electronics sorted out? I take it you will be running the 215s high passed for movies since you got a sub but how are running multiple sides, J River?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
taboola here