Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1063 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 7130Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Member
 
Freakquency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
And what?
Sorry I didn't understand your last post, I understand the 2 way vs 3 way, I thought both had the guides in the center not just the 3 way.

It takes lots of abnormal people to make things easy for normal people.
Freakquency is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Hydrazine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Congratulations on your new speakers Freakquency. Its going to be a hell of a lot of fun.
Hydrazine is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 2,877
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I preordered this last week!

I had heard others say that the 215's are more laid back than the 212HT's and personally I have not really found that. I think they sound just about the same in the top. I also have the original 212HT's and when I hear both, I think they are pretty close. I recently bought the 215RM center to pair with my 215RT's and the new 215RM has the Phase plug. I want to eventually get that thing on a stand and do a side by side and see if I hear anything different. The only thing is lifting this stuff! I mean the 215RM is no joke either, thing is a baby Rhino!
I forgot that you have the 215RM now for center. Would be cool to hear how it sounds as compared to the RT.

___________________________________________
Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html[/B]
NWCgrad is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,334
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakquency View Post
Sorry I didn't understand your last post, I understand the 2 way vs 3 way, I thought both had the guides in the center not just the 3 way.
I guess I should have elaborated, but I just commented on the pictures as one being a two way and the other a three way. Both speakers use different CD's hence no phase plug on the HT.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Member
 
Freakquency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrazine View Post
Congratulations on your new speakers Freakquency. Its going to be a hell of a lot of fun.
Getting ready to truck them home as we speak!

It takes lots of abnormal people to make things easy for normal people.
Freakquency is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 03:34 PM
Member
 
Freakquency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I guess I should have elaborated, but I just commented on the pictures as one being a two way and the other a three way. Both speakers use different CD's hence no phase plug on the HT.
That's what I thought you meant in the first place but wasn't sure.

It takes lots of abnormal people to make things easy for normal people.
Freakquency is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,334
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
I forgot that you have the 215RM now for center. Would be cool to hear how it sounds as compared to the RT.
I could basically have a JTR GTG by myself. I have 4 S8's a 228, 212HT's, 215RM and 215RT's! LOL. It's crazy over here!
RMK!, NWCgrad, asoofi1 and 1 others like this.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SeaNile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chadds Ford, PA
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Regarding the upcoming BR release of Roger Waters The Wall. Special theater showing Oct 15&18 in select theaters.

Here is another trailer from the film.. Visually it is absolutely stunning.


My goal with my new HT is to replicate the feeling of being front row at the concert. It was so loud my clothes were vibrating.

Gorilla Killa likes this.
SeaNile is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 6,290
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I could basically have a JTR GTG by myself. I have 4 S8's a 228, 212HT's, 215RM and 215RT's! LOL. It's crazy over here!
Hmmm, GTG. Dave's house. Now where have I heard that before?

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
Old 10-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Member
 
DRC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsbound View Post
Reading this thread makes me want to build a theater/music room with all JTR. What speakers match nicely to go in overhead slots for Atmos/DTS:X? Will JTR have such an offering?
Had a great time demo'ing things for Marsbound today. He brought some great music over. The Pink Floyd 5.1 SACD was excellent and his band's CD (Thirty Spoke) is mixed very well.

To answer your original question, the Slanted 8's are what I am going to use. I'll aim them accordingly to seat positions. Many others have used options like the Volts (DIY), Seaton Sparks, Reaction Audio and JBL has some offerings. Just a matter of mounting them.

Good luck on your future theater build!
DRC3 is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 05:16 PM
Member
 
jaimectrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Just got my freight notice, 953 lb shipment. Wow.
jaimectrs is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 2,877
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Hmmm, GTG. Dave's house. Now where have I heard that before?
Dave's due east of me, to bad my car cannot drive across the bay. I guess I should get a LCAC. I doubt if the Marines would miss one.

By road it's a fairly long drive.

___________________________________________
Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html[/B]
NWCgrad is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,292
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 661
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/47851/...ned/index.html

Seemed like many of you guys liked the movie...

FTW21 Ported Build
Volt 10 build
I miss Giants baseball!
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 06:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post
Had a great time demo'ing things for Marsbound today. He brought some great music over. The Pink Floyd 5.1 SACD was excellent and his band's CD (Thirty Spoke) is mixed very well.

To answer your original question, the Slanted 8's are what I am going to use. I'll aim them accordingly to seat positions. Many others have used options like the Volts (DIY), Seaton Sparks, Reaction Audio and JBL has some offerings. Just a matter of mounting them.

Good luck on your future theater build!
More to come on this. Short version: I had a blast!
Marsbound is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,912
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Order placed for 3 210RT's.

2 of them are the demo units from RMAF and one new one.

I should have the demo units either Thursday or Friday - hopefully Thursday as I am going camping Friday evening for the weekend.

The other will arrive in 3-4 weeks.
2 of the 210's will be here tomorrow along with my shirt
raynist is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,912
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakquency View Post
Say a single guy with no family and a home theater full of JTR gears kicks the bucket, how would anyone in the general public know what the speakers are? They have no visable identification of any kind.
I never realized this. Very interesting observation. I always assumed there was something on the binding post area but never actually looked.
raynist is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
2 of the 210's will be here tomorrow along with my shirt
That's pretty fast shipping on the 210's...I know he had them in stock but it's still fast.


Are the shirts offered on his website? I don't see them for order anywhere.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,912
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
That's pretty fast shipping on the 210's...I know he had them in stock but it's still fast.


Are the shirts offered on his website? I don't see them for order anywhere.
Yeah, I called and placed the order at lunch and had a shipping confirmation by the end of the workday. It is only 2 day shipping for me.

You can't place orders on this site at all. I am sure you can call him and order one though.
raynist is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
You can't place orders on this site at all. I am sure you can call him and order one though.
Sorry, I didn't mean order them from the website I meant I don't see them on his website. Think I will give him a call as they looked like very nice shirts and I'll certainly wear it around for some JTR publicity.


Congrats on your 210's and I look forward to you impressions.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,946
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Congrats on your 210's and I look forward to you impressions.
+1

Chris
countryWV is online now  
Old 10-14-2015, 08:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In the course of educating myself to eventually build out a dedicated home theater, I've read through this entire thread when I eventually landed on DRC3 offering to demo his set-up (to someone else) at his home in Louisville. I was pleasantly surprised, as I live there myself, and I sent him a private message introducing myself and asking if I might get a listen. Without knowing me like he does others on this thread, he kindly invited me to his place. Turns out he's less than 10 minutes away, and lives in a lovely place with a truly impressive theater room. Great to meet you DRC3 and thanks for showing me an awesome time! I figured I might not ever get ears on JTRs or Seatons before potentially buying them, and I feel really lucky.

I'm not going to review his system, but give a brief impression. I'm not very experienced in this type of sound environment. As DRC3 said, i'm in a band and come from the perspective of guitar amps and live shows more than home theaters. That being said, his system is big, powerful and a true pleasure to listen to. Listening to the 5 channel mix of Wish You Were Here was one of the coolest things i've ever heard and felt. I was also impressed that some softer more acoustic Bela Fleck and the Flecktones sounded amazing as well. This JTR/Seaton setup is not just brute strength. D's movie demos of Interstellar and Jurassic Park were awesome looking and the audio impact was like nothing i've ever experienced. Way better than any movie theater i've been in. The most visceral movie experience i've had!

DRC3 has JTR 215 rm x3 across the front along with a staggering, was it 4? Seaton S2s. And, I kid you not, 2 more Seaton Submersives in the rear of the room. JTR 8 rears. As he said, it's not calibrated in any way yet. Simply placed, powered and played. And it's quite awesome. I know for sure I want to go with this type of home theater room. Anyone have a Seaton Catalyst 12c room nearby I can sample??

DRC3, thanks a ton! You have a great place and a stunning theater. Great to meet you!
Nabs17, NWCgrad, countryWV and 3 others like this.
Marsbound is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,912
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean order them from the website I meant I don't see them on his website. Think I will give him a call as they looked like very nice shirts and I'll certainly wear it around for some JTR publicity.


Congrats on your 210's and I look forward to you impressions.
The 2 demo units from RMAF will arrive tomorrow but it will be about a month before I get the third for a center channel. In the mean time, I will keep my 212's in place behind the screen and just use the 210's for stereo listening without a sub. I will have them on either side of the screen and run off of a spare denon receiver. I should be able to give some two channel listening comparisons/ impressions in the next week or so. I plan to listen to them for several hours thursday evening and friday afternoon before heading out for the weekend.
raynist is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsbound View Post
In the course of educating myself to eventually build out a dedicated home theater, I've read through this entire thread when I eventually landed on DRC3 offering to demo his set-up (to someone else) at his home in Louisville. I was pleasantly surprised, as I live there myself, and I sent him a private message introducing myself and asking if I might get a listen. Without knowing me like he does others on this thread, he kindly invited me to his place. Turns out he's less than 10 minutes away, and lives in a lovely place with a truly impressive theater room. Great to meet you DRC3 and thanks for showing me an awesome time! I figured I might not ever get ears on JTRs or Seatons before potentially buying them, and I feel really lucky.

I'm not going to review his system, but give a brief impression. I'm not very experienced in this type of sound environment. As DRC3 said, i'm in a band and come from the perspective of guitar amps and live shows more than home theaters. That being said, his system is big, powerful and a true pleasure to listen to. Listening to the 5 channel mix of Wish You Were Here was one of the coolest things i've ever heard and felt. I was also impressed that some softer more acoustic Bela Fleck and the Flecktones sounded amazing as well. This JTR/Seaton setup is not just brute strength. D's movie demos of Interstellar and Jurassic Park were awesome looking and the audio impact was like nothing i've ever experienced. Way better than any movie theater i've been in. The most visceral movie experience i've had!

DRC3 has JTR 215 rm x3 across the front along with a staggering, was it 4? Seaton S2s. And, I kid you not, 2 more Seaton Submersives in the rear of the room. JTR 8 rears. As he said, it's not calibrated in any way yet. Simply placed, powered and played. And it's quite awesome. I know for sure I want to go with this type of home theater room. Anyone have a Seaton Catalyst 12c room nearby I can sample??

DRC3, thanks a ton! You have a great place and a stunning theater. Great to meet you!
3 RM's, 6 submersives and S8's.....yeah that would be visceral. Great system @DRC3 and Marsbound good luck on your HT journey.
DRC3 likes this.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,696
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
The 2 demo units from RMAF will arrive tomorrow but it will be about a month before I get the third for a center channel. In the mean time, I will keep my 212's in place behind the screen and just use the 210's for stereo listening without a sub. I will have them on either side of the screen and run off of a spare denon receiver. I should be able to give some two channel listening comparisons/ impressions in the next week or so. I plan to listen to them for several hours thursday evening and friday afternoon before heading out for the weekend.
Great, I am pondering a 210 pair for my family room system and will be interested in your take on SQ and bass extension. What I heard at RMAF was very impressive.
jaimectrs likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Great, I am pondering a 210 pair for my family room system and will be interested in your take on SQ and bass extension. What I heard at RMAF was very impressive.
I've not heard the 210's but I'm thinking they would sound very similar to the 215RT's with a little less bottom end. Did you get that feeling when you heard them Rob?

Nabs17

Last edited by Nabs17; 10-14-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Nabs17 is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 09:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone done a direct comparison between any of the JTR towers or monitors to the Seaton Catalyst12? Thanks!
Marsbound is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Member
 
Freakquency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsbound View Post
Has anyone done a direct comparison between any of the JTR towers or monitors to the Seaton Catalyst12? Thanks!
I bet Mark and Jeff have.

It takes lots of abnormal people to make things easy for normal people.
Freakquency is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,334
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsbound View Post
Has anyone done a direct comparison between any of the JTR towers or monitors to the Seaton Catalyst12? Thanks!
Yes, many times. Look up NE GTG on here!
Reefdvr27 is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 10:48 AM
Point Source
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 11,203
Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3001 Post(s)
Liked: 2437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsbound View Post
Has anyone done a direct comparison between any of the JTR towers or monitors to the Seaton Catalyst12? Thanks!
We blind tested the 212's against the Cat 12C's, along with the Danley sm60f and Selah CBT's. Check it out:

January 18th Loudspeaker GTG results thread
beastaudio is online now  
Old 10-14-2015, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,334
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Dave's due east of me, to bad my car cannot drive across the bay. I guess I should get a LCAC. I doubt if the Marines would miss one.

By road it's a fairly long drive.
Take the Ferry! I don't think it took me to long to get to Asim's. Hour and a half maybe minus the boat ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Hmmm, GTG. Dave's house. Now where have I heard that before?
I would love to host a blow out GTG and believe you me, if I had the room and a theater in the basement, I would host once or twice a year! I would certainly be open to a small 5 or 6 man GTG however be more of a social GTG as I really could not get that loud, but I would/could open it up earlier in the day! As of right now I am not ready for anything as everything is still in pieces!
Reefdvr27 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off