Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1069 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 7563Likes

Old 10-19-2015, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Shaming me into the Volts. I like it!

I'd prefer the JTR Single 8-lp but need to save a few when I can right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

They really are great speaker for the price.

I have done 3 in the regular boxes and 4 in the slanted boxes. All volt 8's. They do a great job with my 212's at any volume.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Well the Orbits sold, so now I get to do some sub shoppin!
Oh the pleasure of sub shopping. If you give yourself a few weeKs we should be seeing the numbers of the Orbit Shifter LFU and Cap S2 on data bass. I have been eagerly waiting for Josh to post these. Jeff said it would be in October.
KevinH likes this.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I hope she's really hot ...

I somehow sold her on the idea of her being Han Solo for Halloween, so she's aiittee
Old 10-19-2015, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Trying to be budget minded for rears, surrounds and Atmos ceiling speakers.

Would Triad Silver 4 work for rears and surrounds? There are several available in the classifieds.

If I had any DIY skills I'd go with something from the Volt lineup, like the Volt 10 for rears and surrounds.

I may have talked myself out of the Triads. That would be 3 different brand speakers in my setup.

These are supposed to be a lot easier to put together than the Volt 10s, although they are more expensive.
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/alpha-k...-surround.html
Old 10-19-2015, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
That was fast so I guess congrats are in order.
Those are some big shoes to fill.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Curious to know what are you going to replace with?
jlpowell84 likes this.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 322
^ maybe two of these in the theater?

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/produ...-horns/bc-415/
jaimectrs likes this.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
I somehow sold her on the idea of her being Han Solo for Halloween, so she's aiittee
meh..not that bigb an accomplishment...she gets to weear normal girl garb hhahaha
jaimectrs and Naylorman32 like this.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:

Same here...no DIY skills and I built 4 Volt 6's. It was fun and you get a sense of accomplishment once it's done and it works. I'd say the hardest part is the soldering (which I had never done before in my life) but all you need to do is watch a couple You tube video's and you're good to go.

Nabs17
Old 10-20-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Same here...no DIY skills and I built 4 Volt 6's. It was fun and you get a sense of accomplishment once it's done and it works. I'd say the hardest part is the soldering (which I had never done before in my life) but all you need to do is watch a couple You tube video's and you're good to go.
this will be me next week... ordered 4 volt 6's...never touched a soldering iron ever haha
Old 10-20-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
this will be me next week... ordered 4 volt 6's...never touched a soldering iron ever haha
And you will be replacing your current overheads with these...yes? And will you be updating your thread with the progress?

Trying to get ideas as I plan for the future Atmos upgrades.

Nabs17
Old 10-20-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
And you will be replacing your current overheads with these...yes? And will you be updating your thread with the progress?

Trying to get ideas as I plan for the future Atmos upgrades.
yes and yes
Old 10-20-2015, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 96
A short review of my recently acquired JTR 212 HTR LCRs.

From Paradigm Studio 100s.

The 212s are being powered by 3 bridged Crown XLS 2500s and processed by an Emotiva UMC-200.

First off, the build quality is excellent, not paying for foo foo looks, the money is all peformance.

I hooked everything up and the first thing I noticed playing some Black Sabbath was the clarity of the bass guitar and drums, extreme separation between instruments. The detail is incredible!

I then popped in some Diana Krall, wait, no it was Overkill's newest album White Devil Armory. The excessive tweeter ringing at 95db the Paradigms had was gone, very pleased as this was one of my main goals in upgrading.

I can now feel the bass guitar in my seat and clothing, the 212s can keep up with my Orbit Shifter LFU unlike the Paradigms inability to go any louder and getting walked all over by the massive OS power!

Played some movies, the 212s were seamless, there was no longer a LCR situation.
You couldn't tell where the speakers were behind the screen. Voices were extremely clear, no issues there.
The Crown's first indicator only flickered at reference.

After a few days of getting things dialed in I put on some Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power's last track Hollow and took the volume of the L and R channels way upstairs to 130db in an 1800 sq ft room at 16ft away mind you, the 212s were electrifying the air while the OS was crushing my bones! The song came to a brutal crushing end followed by fast footsteps from upstairs and my wife yelling down the stairs "You better turn that sh*t down because the stairway door is going to break and I mean for real!,we're going to go deaf even up here!"
The XLS 2500s still had 10db in the tank as did the OS.
Oh yeah, the imaging is great too.
pmd918, rcohen, countryWV and 2 others like this.

It takes lots of abnormal people to make things easy for normal people.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
Quote:
So my captivator S2's are really kickin my butt when it comes to trying to figure out how to prevent everything in my house from shaking during movies haha. I had a couple buddies over Saturday night to demo some blurays, and we didnt get 30 seconds into Mad Max before I got a text from my gf (who was 2 floors above me) asking me to turn it down a little.

Long story short, does anyone have any ideas how I can help decrease the amount of bass that leaks out of my room short of tearing down the dry walls and putting more insulation in there? If i remember correctly, my drop ceilings have some insulation in them, but clearly nothing to stop actual bass. 3 walls of the basement are dry wall with concrete behind them, but no insulation. I'm literally looking for any sort of idea haha. My AVR has my subs turned down to -10 right now, and it still feels like a kick to the chest !

I know it won't do much at all, but do those door seals actually work? http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/do..._doorseals.htm
Here is a video from another avs member that has two Triax's like I have and at near the end of the video (3:10) it shows his upstairs vibrating. IMO a Subdude is not going to help this situation. I don't even know if decoupling will help from very big bass. As someone mentioned a question for the soundproofing thread. I can say I went for it a few times in my house with my Triax's and in the aftermath, my wife found stuff broken in every room LOL.

Naylorman32 likes this.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 10-20-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Going into a stereo store - typical or high end - you'd never know this was possible. It would fun to sneak some JTRs in there, although good subs to complement them would be tougher. Maybe 210s.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
If you are considering Volts you should take a good look at the Concentric 8. It's supposed to be a step up and kit form is 282. Erik said in a bit he will have it up for sale. I think he is dealing with the 1099 craze right now. Even then if you don't want to build the slanted finished box is sub 400. I have two Volts I am going to sale. Was gonna end up using in LR but I bought some Wharfedale speakers last night for living room lol! Bass is ridiculous from them! Look nice too with piano black finish. L/R towers, center and sub for cheap!

Anyway take a look at C8...I have been on this path for a couple months now looking at every sub $500 surround speaker options...
Old 10-20-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Here is a video from another avs member that has two Triax's like I have and at near the end of the video (3:10) it shows his upstairs vibrating. IMO a Subdude is not going to help this situation. I don't even know if decoupling will help from very big bass. As someone mentioned a question for the soundproofing thread. I can say I went for it a few times in my house with my Triax's and in the aftermath, my wife found stuff broken in every room LOL.
I suspect an isolator would have helped somewhat in that scenario, but it's a pretty extreme example right there. You would probably need some type of bomb shelter in order to remain vibration free when listening to that type of material with the volume cranked all the way up. Exercising some degree of self control is need in this situation, which I know is an unfamiliar term to you. This is probably what your wife came home to...

Hydrazine, Reefdvr27 and Gorilla83 like this.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
Old 10-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvhsbop1FHI

I've seen a couple of his videos. His bass is insane! haha
Old 10-20-2015, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, and i'm pretty sure the dog in that video is thinking the tripods from War of the Worlds just landed in his backyard
Old 10-20-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

All it needs is an angry spouse to come in screaming and cursing right before the video shuts off.
Freakquency likes this.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakquency View Post
A short review of my recently acquired JTR 212 HTR LCRs.

From Paradigm Studio 100s.

The 212s are being powered by 3 bridged Crown XLS 2500s and processed by an Emotiva UMC-200.

First off, the build quality is excellent, not paying for foo foo looks, the money is all peformance.

I hooked everything up and the first thing I noticed playing some Black Sabbath was the clarity of the bass guitar and drums, extreme separation between instruments. The detail is incredible!

I then popped in some Diana Krall, wait, no it was Overkill's newest album White Devil Armory. The excessive tweeter ringing at 95db the Paradigms had was gone, very pleased as this was one of my main goals in upgrading.

I can now feel the bass guitar in my seat and clothing, the 212s can keep up with my Orbit Shifter LFU unlike the Paradigms inability to go any louder and getting walked all over by the massive OS power!

Played some movies, the 212s were seamless, there was no longer a LCR situation.
You couldn't tell where the speakers were behind the screen. Voices were extremely clear, no issues there.
The Crown's first indicator only flickered at reference.

After a few days of getting things dialed in I put on some Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power's last track Hollow and took the volume of the L and R channels way upstairs to 130db in an 1800 sq ft room at 16ft away mind you, the 212s were electrifying the air while the OS was crushing my bones! The song came to a brutal crushing end followed by fast footsteps from upstairs and my wife yelling down the stairs "You better turn that sh*t down because the stairway door is going to break and I mean for real!,we're going to go deaf even up here!"
The XLS 2500s still had 10db in the tank as did the OS.
Oh yeah, the imaging is great too.
@Freakquency I've been waiting for your review, thanks! As I've stated before, I'm in the exact situation that you were - wrestling with the idea of upgrading my Paradigm Studio 100's.

Question is whether you think there is substantial improvement at non-hearing-threatening volumes? I typically listen to movies at -10dB, and would be inclined to go a bit louder if clarity could be improved, but at lower volumes did you experience much improvement?
Old 10-20-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 1119
Quote:
A short review of my recently acquired JTR 212 HTR..... "You better turn that sh*t down because the stairway door is going to break and I mean for real!,we're going to go deaf even up here!"
That sums it right there....I bet the Paradigms would be in the repair shop after such shenanigans.
Freakquency likes this.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd918 View Post
@Freakquency I've been waiting for your review, thanks! As I've stated before, I'm in the exact situation that you were - wrestling with the idea of upgrading my Paradigm Studio 100's.

Question is whether you think there is substantial improvement at non-hearing-threatening volumes? I typically listen to movies at -10dB, and would be inclined to go a bit louder if clarity could be improved, but at lower volumes did you experience much improvement?
Very much so at lower volumes.

I would say the biggest eye opener truly was the clarity and separation of individual instruments even in with heavy distortion laden metal. The midrange always impressed me with the Paradigms but the horns really put the mids and highs right on you as where a dome tweeter is a room bouncing scatterfest in comparison. The horns also blend together at the mlp but are still direct without bouncing of the walls which I believe is one of the main reasons for their clarity(less room more speaker).

Old 10-20-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
That sums it right there....I bet the Paradigms would be in the repair shop after such shenanigans.
Yes the tweeters would be long gone!

Old 10-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Very much so at lower volumes.

I would say the biggest eye opener truly was the clarity and separation of individual instruments even in with heavy distortion laden metal. The midrange always impressed me with the Paradigms but the horns really put the mids and highs right on you as where a dome tweeter is a room bouncing scatterfest in comparison. The horns also blend together at the mlp but are still direct without bouncing of the walls which I believe is one of the main reasons for their clarity(less room more speaker).
Excellent, thanks. What about mid-bass punch? The Paradigms seem incapable of hitting you in the chest.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:50 PM
Point Source

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3267 Post(s)
Liked: 2687
Quote:
Meh, Shoot for Leia (prisoner Leia that is). Then I'll be impressed.
Naylorman32 likes this.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Excellent, thanks. What about mid-bass punch? The Paradigms seem incapable of hitting you in the chest.
No problem there, but you do need to play at high levels to achieve punch as it is basically a spl kinda thing. Anyone using mid bass modules are basically increasing volume with a separate woofer and amp to achieve spl in those frequencies without increasing others, or they are eq'ing in the boost instead of increasing the whole frequency range to get more punch.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 1079
The JTR Speakers room at RMAF wasn't awarded the Best of RMAF 2015 by Tyson and Pez, but they did have this to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTR Speakers at RMAF 2015
Holy smokes... This wins hands down the most amazing DYNAMICS I have ever heard at the show period. So much control, so much BASS so much rock and roll it was obscene. If you enjoy it when you're neighbors make constant noise complaints, but then stay over and rock out with you to Tool BUY THESE SPEAKERS NOW.
These guys have been covering the show for 10 years now and have heard a lot of setups. We listened to Tool and their demo CD with the 210RT's run fullrange with a 28 Hz 12 dB/octave high pass. Each speaker was powered by a Digital Amp Company 60V Maraschino Cherry amp. I think they had formed most of their opinions by the time we kicked it to multi-channel.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think this is a common misunderstanding. You don't need to play at crazy volumes to benefit from great dynamics. It's not so special at low volumes, but at moderate to high volumes, it's like high dynamic range video. The peaks are like real life, not like what you're used to hearing from speakers (or seeing on video images).

Also the JTRs have awesome vocal clarity, which is much nicer for running at moderate volumes, compared to many speakers.

As others said, the directivity makes a big difference at all volumes, especially in rooms that aren't covered with acoustic treatment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis