Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1099 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8193Likes

Old 12-02-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Just finished watching The Wall, @SeaNile , spot on recommendation. Very well done, made me think of when I was younger playing the LP over and over. Great audio and video, definitely top shelf in both regards. trounced Gilmours blu imo
I got it yesterday as it was in the mailbox when I got home. I watched it and IMO I would have been much happier if it would have been shot as an entire concert like the first. I also did not feel like the music was all that good either. I actually liked the 1980 Germany/Berlin concert better and I was not really all that happy with that one either. My opinion would be it would have been better with Pink Floyd doing it vs the people he had performing (Snowy White ) I wish he and David Gilmour would settle up and give us a couple of more tours!! I have been to many Pink Floyd shows and have all their stuff, but I just was not overly happy with this one as I thought I would have been. I thought the show was incredible and well done, but I just think it could have been better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 1269
^^^I agree, neither Roger or David are stellar on their own but together they were pure genius. Will watch the disc soon.
@SeaNile , you need to buy the $495 electrical outlet COVERS to go with the $75k system to make it sing. You just can't make this crap up. A carbon fiber replacement cover for the electrical outlet can make an audible difference on fantasy island but not in the real world.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
^^^I agree, neither Roger or David are stellar on their own but together they were pure genius. Will watch the disc soon.
@SeaNile , you need to buy the $495 electrical outlet COVERS to go with the $75k system to make it sing. You just can't make this crap up. A carbon fiber replacement cover for the electrical outlet can make an audible difference on fantasy island but not in the real world.
I might get cyber slapped for this but IMO David Gilmour and Rick Wright were the talent in the band. Roger was a great writer, but David is the musician. The band certainly took a turn for the better when he joined PF. As you said as a whole, they were great together. I believe that Roger Waters is worth something in the area of $300 mil, so I doubt he will ever be getting back with DG anything soon!

I do have to add the new Wall movie sounded so good last night on the 215's in Atmos. I am really digging my new 215RM center. Has really filled in the gap I was missing using the little 228. I am alway amazed when I listen to concert Blurays

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 12-02-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I might get cyber slapped for this but IMO David Gilmour and Rick Wright were the talent in the band. Roger was a great writer, but David is the musician. The band certainly took a turn for the better when he joined PF. As you said as a whole, they were great together. I believe that Roger Waters is worth something in the area of $300 mil, so I doubt he will ever be getting back with DG anything soon!

I do have to add the new Wall movie sounded so good last night on the 215's in Atmos. I am really digging my new 215RM center. Has really filled in the gap I was missing using the little 228. I am alway amazed when I listen to concert Blurays
I agree (last paragraph ). Just finished my The Wall experience and I felt this movie exceeded my expectations. IMHO, it's the best thing either RW or DG has done since PF. The Wall version of Comfortably Numb is the best I have heard. The Atmos audio sounded great although I'm not sure what if anything the ATMOS speakers actually contributed to the sound. Again, sound wise it's a 9 of 10.

Note to SeaNile, give this one a run through with your LCR 215RT's minus the subs and then tell me why you need/want additional subwoofers ... frigging amazing

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked: 1830
Quote:
Blasphemy you heretic! Off with his head!

Without Waters there is no Wall, Wish You Were Here or Dark Side (well, at least most of it anyway). Even a big chunk of Animals was Roger's doing. No question Floyd was better when it was... well, Pink Floyd. That means Waters, Gilmour, Wright and Mason together. I was never a Syd Barrett fan though, so when he left I certainly wasn't crying.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
Old 12-02-2015, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 1572
I will be leaving the office early on Dec 17th
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StarWars The Awakening.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1094178  
Nabs17, laeriq, jaymind and 7 others like this.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
I'll wait to watch/listen to this on my JTR's. Maybe...
countryWV likes this.

Nabs17
Old 12-02-2015, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I go to the 1:00 matinee and it's empty. Then when I get out of the movie the theater is packed.

It takes lots of abnormal people to make things easy for normal people.

Last edited by Freakquency; 12-02-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakquency View Post
I go to the 1:00 matinee and it's empty. Then when I get out if the movie the theater is packed.
Try to park across about 4 spaces.....hehehe
Freakquency likes this.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just finished the new Roger Waters the Wall blu ray. Overall I thought it was very good. Many times during the show I really wanted to ramp up the volume to true concert SPL's, but alas the neighbors would not be happy and the worms would show up and kick in the front door.

The non-concert parts were well done and actually added to the experience. But I am a history junkie and it was cool to hear more of Roger's backstory. WW I and II were considerably more devastating for Europe than the U.S.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
I refuse to watch movies unless it's on JTR speakers
countryWV likes this.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
Quote:
You should take your own speakers to the cinema!
Old 12-02-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Can't wait to watch The Wall on my setup which hopefully should be within 3 weeks.

As far as Pink Floyd, nothing will compare to when they were together. Loved the Live 8 performance. Aside from that, I'm partial to Roger. Saw The Wall 18x across the US and Europe, met Roger several times, hung back stage at the Paris show and with the band, went to a small wedding with Dave Kilminster and most recently saw Roger perform in a 299 seat theater in the Hamptons just a few weeks ago.

Think I am going to setup my theater without the subs for now. The room is relatively small and I'm sure the 3 JTR 215RT will pack plenty of punch for concert DVDs. If I want to add them in they will be in the storage part of the basement waiting to get added. I'll definitely rely on Desertdome as soon as everything is put together.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
You should take your own speakers to the cinema!
My teenagers and I always joke about how much better my sq is than commercial theaters. Even with my MA fronts and Niles Atmos. Can't imagine the difference when/if I get them all swapped to JTR. They sound great now but with a few more upgrades....geez....
Old 12-03-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
Can't wait to watch The Wall on my setup which hopefully should be within 3 weeks.

As far as Pink Floyd, nothing will compare to when they were together. Loved the Live 8 performance. Aside from that, I'm partial to Roger. Saw The Wall 18x across the US and Europe, met Roger several times, hung back stage at the Paris show and with the band, went to a small wedding with Dave Kilminster and most recently saw Roger perform in a 299 seat theater in the Hamptons just a few weeks ago.

Think I am going to setup my theater without the subs for now. The room is relatively small and I'm sure the 3 JTR 215RT will pack plenty of punch for concert DVDs. If I want to add them in they will be in the storage part of the basement waiting to get added. I'll definitely rely on Desertdome as soon as everything is put together.
The Wall was interesting and the music and overall SQ is excellent. It is my favorite concert blu-ray and the best way to demo the 215RT's full range. From quiet dialog to Stadium Rock Concert loud, the speakers were always composed with incredible detail and dynamics. I watched some bits again last night just to confirm my original impressions. Like many rock stars, Waters is a bit of a narcissist but the back story about his father and grandfather works for me. Anxious to hear your impressions.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:46 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 272 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3736 Post(s)
Liked: 3008
Quote:
Solid. You talked them into full JTR gear before the big premier? Sneak an OS or two behind the screen while they aren't looking

Quote:
Just finished the new Roger Waters the Wall blu ray. Overall I thought it was very good. Many times during the show I really wanted to ramp up the volume to true concert SPL's, but alas the neighbors would not be happy and the worms would show up and kick in the front door.

The non-concert parts were well done and actually added to the experience. But I am a history junkie and it was cool to hear more of Roger's backstory. WW I and II were considerably more devastating for Europe than the U.S.
The wife was studying so I didn't get to the levels I wanted to initially. I thought it was quite well done, and really enjoyed it. It'll make the regular demo rotation for sure.

@RMK! I noticed atmos being used a couple times with the airplane and helicopter effects for a few of the tracks early on in the concert. I actually felt it was pretty pronounced for a few of them so next time you watch, key in on those effects. There is definitely a lot going on with the music and effects, so it's probably easy to miss all things considered.
RMK! likes this.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 2900 Post(s)
Liked: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

The wife was studying so I didn't get to the levels I wanted to initially. I thought it was quite well done, and really enjoyed it. It'll make the regular demo rotation for sure.

@RMK! I noticed atmos being used a couple times with the airplane and helicopter effects for a few of the tracks early on in the concert. I actually felt it was pretty pronounced for a few of them so next time you watch, key in on those effects. There is definitely a lot going on with the music and effects, so it's probably easy to miss all things considered.
That's the great thing about Atmos. Done right it just makes things happen that are just supposed to happen in real life, so it can be unnoticeable unless you're focusing on it.

Spoiler!
RMK! likes this.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I get what you guys are saying and I did notice it on the flyovers but not as dramatic as some (think Unbroken bombing run). I guess it was appropriately accurate but some of the other aircraft moments were less effective than that first flyover IMO. Again, I loved the sound and highly recommend the disk so these are really nit picky comments.

I watched the original Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes blu-ray last night and the surround effects (including heights) with DSU were some of the best ever. Besides being a really good movie the soundtrack on that film is really fun with an 11 speaker setup. Check out the Mark Strong (Lord Blackwood) character's voice coming at you from around and above).

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Point Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I get what you guys are saying and I did notice it on the flyovers but not as dramatic as some (think Unbroken bombing run). I guess it was appropriately accurate but some of the other aircraft moments were less effective than that first flyover IMO. Again, I loved the sound and highly recommend the disk so these are really nit picky comments.

I watched the original Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes blu-ray last night and the surround effects (including heights) with DSU were some of the best ever. Besides being a really good movie the soundtrack on that film is really fun with an 11 speaker setup. Check out the Mark Strong (Lord Blackwood) character's voice coming at you from around and above).
Definitely worth a re-spin for sure. We have used the score from that movie as a main track at our g2g's for years now. It's one of the ones that has definitely stood the test of time.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Blasphemy you heretic! Off with his head!

Without Waters there is no Wall, Wish You Were Here or Dark Side (well, at least most of it anyway). Even a big chunk of Animals was Roger's doing. No question Floyd was better when it was... well, Pink Floyd. That means Waters, Gilmour, Wright and Mason together. I was never a Syd Barrett fan though, so when he left I certainly wasn't crying.
Yeah man, I agree. I was not a fan of Syd either and thankfully he just disappeared. I have alway just felt that David Gilmour was the real reason the band became what they are, but then again Roger attributed some of the best material, but we could argue all day on who is who in the band. Personally I was never a fan of Darkside of the Moon, I would say Relics, Animals and the Final Cut were my tops and the Wall falls in there somewhere. As I said I just wish the Band was still intact, I mean we could have seen a few more great albums and shows on top of it. I have sat and thought about what we would have seen if Ronnie Van Zant would not have passed. I mean Lynyard Skynyrd had what like 50 hits in their short time. They could have had another 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

Very cool! I cannot believe I missed the Wall tour?? I would have never have missed this back in my 20's as I tried to make every Pink Floyd show I could get to. With all this talk I just scored two David Gilmour tickets at Radio City Music Hall in April! Might be my last chance to see the old guy! Looking forward to it. Also 3 215's will blow your doors off, believe me on that. I was running 2 215RT's for a year with no subs and I had sledgehammer bass.

Quote:
The Wall was interesting and the music and overall SQ is excellent. It is my favorite concert blu-ray and the best way to demo the 215RT's full range. From quiet dialog to Stadium Rock Concert loud, the speakers were always composed with incredible detail and dynamics. I watched some bits again last night just to confirm my original impressions. Like many rock stars, Waters is a bit of a narcissist but the back story about his father and grandfather works for me. Anxious to hear your impressions.
Wow really? You liked it that much? I just think it was just ok. I actually thought the video being projected onto the wall was very cool! The muisc just sounded off to me. I went back and watched the 1980 Berlin Wall show and I thought it was so much better, except for Cyndy Lauper, what a mistake that was. I am curious if Roger ever regretted having her on the tour? I am going to have to say that I think the David Gilmour show, Remember that night (Prince Albert Hall) is one of my favorite concert Blurays, I have burned a hole in that disc. Second is the Police Certifiable. Both of these are just great concert Blues. I said it recently that I have found that concert blurays have really made me appreciate allot of bands I probably would never listen to, I mean I have never really been a fan of the Eagles or Cream, but with all my gear and a nice theater to sit in, I am loving all these concerts. The Eagles Farewell tour is excellent, but I hate the Eagles, go figure!
Old 12-03-2015, 12:07 PM
Point Source

The farewell tour just shows how talented those guys really are. All the rotating they do of instruments and such, Super cool. One major concert disc I NEVER see mentioned and is one of my favorites is Rush:Time Machine. Their sense of humor is odd but still funny at the same time with that disc.
Black adder likes this.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You guys need to get the Leonard Cohen Live in Dublin blu ray, SQ (and music) is first rate in my view.

I probably would have to rank my Pink Floyd favorites as Meddle, Animals and the Wall (unfortunately none of which are available in high resolution surround sound).

Last edited by NWCgrad; 12-03-2015 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Correct brain fart....
Old 12-03-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 564
I ran Gilmour again, The Wall just sounds better to me. Im sure my room and other factors come in to play. I was prepared for the back story stuff, should have been on a bonus disc but that's my opinion. I did watch Gilmours bonus disc and he and Waters were both recording at the same studio and didn't realize or werent told until they passed each other outside. Cordial greeting, a few words and than off they went. Hell freezing over or the Eagles getting back together, both have a better chance before Waters and Gilmour do.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow really? You liked it that much? I just think it was just ok. I actually thought the video being projected onto the wall was very cool! The muisc just sounded off to me. I went back and watched the 1980 Berlin Wall show and I thought it was so much better, except for Cyndy Lauper, what a mistake that was. I am curious if Roger ever regretted having her on the tour? I am going to have to say that I think the David Gilmour show, Remember that night (Prince Albert Hall) is one of my favorite concert Blurays, I have burned a hole in that disc. Second is the Police Certifiable. Both of these are just great concert Blues. I said it recently that I have found that concert blurays have really made me appreciate allot of bands I probably would never listen to, I mean I have never really been a fan of the Eagles or Cream, but with all my gear and a nice theater to sit in, I am loving all these concerts. The Eagles Farewell tour is excellent, but I hate the Eagles, go figure!
The video on the Gilmour RAH concert sucked and I think the sound on The Wall is of much higher quality. Must be our rooms ...

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You guys need to get the Leonard Cohen Live in Berlin blu ray, SQ (and music) is first rate in my view.

I probably would have to rank my Pink Floyd favorites as Meddle, Animals and the Wall (unfortunately none of which are available in high resolution surround sound).
You mean Dublin? I'm sure you did and I just ordered the box set on Amazon. He sounds a bit like Tom Waits.

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 12-03-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a single 228HT for sale in the classifieds in case anyone is looking for one:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...jtr-228ht.html
Old 12-03-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You mean Dublin? I'm sure you did and I just ordered the box set on Amazon. He sounds a bit like Tom Waits.
Oops, yes it's Dublin. He does have a deep voice.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Some of yall might find this interesting. It's about the Single 8HT demo pair:
https://www.facebook.com/jtr.speaker..._comment_reply

Old 12-03-2015, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip View Post
Some of yall might find this interesting. It's about the Single 8HT demo pair:
https://www.facebook.com/jtr.speaker..._comment_reply
Wow that sucks. Unfortunately there is not much recourse if truly a minor. If they ever did get sent back I'd be worried about what condition they were in....always one guy that has to ruin it for the majority. Crap like that just annoys me to no end.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 145
What do you guys recommend for XLR cables? With my Atmos setup I'll need 11 balanced cables. The way everything is run now the amps will be 20' from the Marantz 7702. That means I'll need 11 XLR cables of 20' each!

Heard from Jeff this evening. My speakers should be getting shipped out tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis