Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 22485 Old 09-23-2009, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

I did some AB testing with and without Audyssey on last night. The Triple 8's still sound good with Audyssey on, but they sound substantially better without it. It is not a subtle difference. It is almost like Audyssey robs them of their midrange, you lose the feeling that the band is in front of you. It sounds like other people have had similar issues.

Jedirun,
Nice to see you got your system going. I think we had a conversation about Audyssey a little while back. I am in definite agreement with you. I do not prefer Audyssey at all (at least on my Onkyo). The level matching and distance measurements seem to turn out fairly accurate but Audyssey's EQ really robs your speakers of dynamics. I was thinking it was specifically the way my speakers interacted with Audyssey. Add me to the list of individuals who have had similar issues!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 22485 Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

I did some AB testing with and without Audyssey on last night. The Triple 8's still sound good with Audyssey on, but they sound substantially better without it. It is not a subtle difference. It is almost like Audyssey robs them of their midrange, you lose the feeling that the band is in front of you. It sounds like other people have had similar issues.

Is it possible that Audyssey is reaching for some theoretical ideal while subjectively you prefer a different 'sound'? Just curious, I have no experience with these speakers or Audyssey.

Louis
post #303 of 22485 Old 09-23-2009, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

I'm starting to get very bad ideas for my next theater... Jeff if you do those in rosewood veneer i'll be all over them.

I was going to offer custom finishes for an additional cost however I'm going to offer all the veneers I have available for no extra cost during the pre-order sale. The veneers I have available are:
Oak
Ash
Walnut
Cheery
Mahagony
Birch
Maple

Rosenut samples
post #304 of 22485 Old 09-23-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Are there any pics available of the veneered finishes? Are the veneer finishes available for the t8's?
post #305 of 22485 Old 09-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I did not like the way my system, especially the Triple 12LF's, sounded with Audyssey on either. I have it off and set to 50hz. My sub needs to be upgraded (Paradigm PW-2100) but I don't use the system enough yet to warrant an upgrade.

I'm curious, if one was going to try and figure out which JTR's are "best" will these new quintuple speakers be the new king of JTR or will it still be the Triple 12LF's?

--JK
post #306 of 22485 Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Jeff that rosenut looks great! I'll be in touch.

Verum postulo res.
post #307 of 22485 Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

I'm curious, if one was going to try and figure out which JTR's are "best" will these new quintuple speakers be the new king of JTR or will it still be the Triple 12LF's?

--JK

The Quintuple is being built to a higher level of refinement since it is intended for HT.
post #308 of 22485 Old 09-23-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post

The Quintuple is being built to a higher level of refinement since it is intended for HT.

Since your online Jeff, I'll message you here instead of email. Forgive my ignorance, but would you use a quintuple as a center or use a 2010 Triple 8 with the L/R quintuple's???
post #309 of 22485 Old 09-23-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardmountain View Post

Since your online Jeff, I'll message you here instead of email. Forgive my ignorance, but would you use a quintuple as a center or use a 2010 Triple 8 with the L/R quintuple's???

Good question and I think a lot of others, including myself, would like to know the answer.

Guessing have the same 3 speakers up front would be recommended, but I'm curious how the T8 would sound in the middle with the Q8's on the side.
post #310 of 22485 Old 09-23-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardmountain View Post

One benefit of the new 2010 designs is that the new coaxial has a solid, sealed basket that is the rear chamber for the midrange so now that the sealed rear chamber is intergrated into the driver it can be installed in any location. Depending on your needs I can install the coaxial at the top, center or between.
post #311 of 22485 Old 09-23-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

I'm curious how the T8 would sound in the middle with the Q8's on the side.

Acoustically, they are a good match and if there is the demand than I can design a matching cabinet for the Triple 8HT with the flush drivers, magnetic grills and wood veneer finishes.
post #312 of 22485 Old 09-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post

Is it possible that Audyssey is reaching for some theoretical ideal while subjectively you prefer a different 'sound'? Just curious, I have no experience with these speakers or Audyssey.

Louis

I believe you are right, and I definitely prefer the stock JTR sound. The Audyssey ideal just sounds thin.
post #313 of 22485 Old 09-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Another question about getting the best sound out of the JTR's. I watch a lot of concert DVD's and am always wondering what setting to use on my Onkyo pre/pro 886. I mean it has about 15 different setings, PLII Music, Direct, Pure, Acoustic, Stereo, Mono, Multi channel stereo, etc. If I am given the choice in the DVD menu I always pick 5.1 dolby stereo but then i am lost when it comes to the pre/pro settings. I'm also lost when it comes to sunday football time...what setting is best?

I want a good balanced listening experience but do not want a THX movie mix messing up a good concert DVD. Nor do I want just the L&R speakers on either.

Any suggestions?

--JK
post #314 of 22485 Old 09-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Another question about getting the best sound out of the JTR's. I watch a lot of concert DVD's and am always wondering what setting to use on my Onkyo pre/pro 886. I mean it has about 15 different setings, PLII Music, Direct, Pure, Acoustic, Stereo, Mono, Multi channel stereo, etc. If I am given the choice in the DVD menu I always pick 5.1 dolby stereo but then i am lost when it comes to the pre/pro settings. I'm also lost when it comes to sunday football time...what setting is best?

I want a good balanced listening experience but do not want a THX movie mix messing up a good concert DVD. Nor do I want just the L&R speakers on either.

Any suggestions?

--JK

Hi Seanile,

Check the BOX that the DVD came in. It will tell you what the Concert DVD was recorded in.

That is the best decoding medium.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #315 of 22485 Old 09-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Any suggestions?

--JK

SeaNile does your Onkyo 886 pre/pro work well with the JTRs for music? (2.0 or 5.1 or any other speaker combination)

Which JTRs do you have? The 12LFs?
post #316 of 22485 Old 09-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

I absolutely love them so far. The weak part of my system is my Paradigm PW-2100 sub so if the JTR's are made to be with a sub they are not getting a lot of help right now. It's hard for me to say about 2.0 listening because with 5.1 and a concert DVD the sub helps quite a bit, take out the sub with 2.0 and the low bass is missing. What I do notice is great detail in the sound, etc. I have no regrets at all, maybe would have changed a few things at initial order which I wasn't made aware of...would have done away with the speakon connection (only using 14ga wires) and would have opted for fabric grills. Every time I turn on the system, especially with a good concert DVD it is an amazing experience. Finally the clarity, volume and detail I was looking for all these years. Now if I could just figure out which option on the pre/pro makes them sound best I will be set.

I do have the Triple 12LF's. I will take a few pics and put them up. It's a little rough right now, can't find stands for the L&R and the center is on the floor with the front edge propped up. Looks bad....sounds good!

--JK
post #317 of 22485 Old 09-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I absolutely love them so far. The weak part of my system is my Paradigm PW-2100 sub so if the JTR's are made to be with a sub they are not getting a lot of help right now. It's hard for me to say about 2.0 listening because with 5.1 and a concert DVD the sub helps quite a bit, take out the sub with 2.0 and the low bass is missing. What I do notice is great detail in the sound, etc. I have no regrets at all, maybe would have changed a few things at initial order which I wasn't made aware of...would have done away with the speakon connection (only using 14ga wires) and would have opted for fabric grills. Every time I turn on the system, especially with a good concert DVD it is an amazing experience. Finally the clarity, volume and detail I was looking for all these years. Now if I could just figure out which option on the pre/pro makes them sound best I will be set.

I do have the Triple 12LF's. I will take a few pics and put them up. It's a little rough right now, can't find stands for the L&R and the center is on the floor with the front edge propped up. Looks bad....sounds good!

--JK

So you haven't heard any 2.0 source on the system? Regular CDs?

Thats excellent about the Onkyo/JTR, I thought perhaps the Onkyo was holding the JTR back from what it could do, SQ wise. I'm looking into an Onkyo pre/pro myself for when I expand and was worried that it was not the best choice for SQ from a 2.0 source for very good speakers like the T12LFs.
post #318 of 22485 Old 09-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't listened to a lot of regular 2.0 CD's but....and I will regret admitting this.....but Michael Jackson's Beat It off of HIStory along with Thriller sound absolutely amazing.

--JK
post #319 of 22485 Old 09-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any suggestions?

--JK

I agree with the bioforce if the box says Dolby Digital or DTS, go with that, but make sure any THX or other processing is turned off. However, if it is not specified or just says surround I have found that Dolby PLII Movie does a good job. Dolby PLII Music is made to take 2 channel music and make it into surround, so it is probably not the best choice for a concert that was recorded in surround. However, some concert DVD's may sound good with the music setting. I would try different surround options for non DD or DTS titles to see what sounds best.

I just tried them out and yes, Thriller and Beat it sound great with my Triple 8's. I find that every day it is like listening to songs for the first time.
post #320 of 22485 Old 09-24-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Just want to clarify, the price on JTR's are per speaker not per pair?

Yes. They are per speaker!!! I wish per pair
post #321 of 22485 Old 09-24-2009, 10:51 PM

I have an Onkyo TX-SR805 and I would agree with the majority in saying that if the concert DVD was recorded in Dolby Digital 5.1 then that is how your receiver (or player) should decode it. That will give you the most accurate results.

Personally, I think PLXII Music is a good option for music but for most Audiophiles straight stereo is the way to go. The idea is the less sound tinkering the receiver does with the root signal will usually yield better results.I have tried THX Ultra II, Pure Audio, Neo:6 (or something like that) and the modes that sound the best to me are PLXII Music or Stereo. A lot of the other modes overdrive the LFE, lean out the sound, visa versa.

PLXII Music is a surround mode though, but I think it is a pretty balanced mode.
post #322 of 22485 Old 09-24-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Damn they are more than a few upgrades away for me. paradigm or rockets will have to do

believe me when I say...... I don't blame you one bit .
post #323 of 22485 Old 09-25-2009, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I haven't listened to a lot of regular 2.0 CD's but....and I will regret admitting this.....but Michael Jackson's Beat It off of HIStory along with Thriller sound absolutely amazing.

--JK

Was that a 2.0 CD?
post #324 of 22485 Old 09-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just want to clarify, the price on JTR's are per speaker not per pair?

Not that they are half off, but Jeff is selling some Demo 2010 Triple 8's and and Slanted 8's on his forum for a substantial savings.
post #325 of 22485 Old 09-25-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
After reading about Audyseey & using it on my Integra 9.8 with Triple 12s i also think its not all that great,it measures my distance of spks wrong & sets the freq wrong imo,also it measures bass distance way off showing my 2 svs subs at 35 feet away which is probably the room causing the mistake in distance.
post #326 of 22485 Old 09-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

After reading about Audyseey & using it on my Integra 9.8 with Triple 12s i also think its not all that great,it measures my distance of spks wrong & sets the freq wrong imo,also it measures bass distance way off showing my 2 svs subs at 35 feet away which is probably the room causing the mistake in distance.

I had a similar problem with the distance and level measurements for my sub. However, in my case it was because I did the calibration from a cold start when the sub was off, so it took it a second to turn on when it got the signal. When I ran setup again it got it right. I am still using the distance and level settings from Audyssey (I double checked them with a ruler and a SPL meter), but I have the EQ off. I guess I will need to buy a dedicated sub EQ, because I still want to use it for the sub. I may just buy a BFD to keep it cheap.
post #327 of 22485 Old 09-27-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datgai View Post

The Quintuple 8's have me seriously salivating and looking at my funds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

Wow, those are going to be potent. I better stop looking at this thread!

There has been some updates to the pre-order sale that you maybe interested in.
post #328 of 22485 Old 09-28-2009, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post

There has been some updates to the pre-order sale that you maybe interested in.

Jeff,

I continue to be interested in JTR speakers and particularly the Quintuple 8's. The narrower profile compare to the T12s simply fits better in my multi-use room but it should have considerably more oomph than the T8. And they are a really great value.

However, this is a mixed use room meaning that the speakers will also have to serve duty as our primary 2 channel system perhaps 30% of the time. As such, I need it to perform well as a music only system even though its primary use will be HT. I have no reason to believe they won't other than that they are sold as HT speakers, which generally has different requirements. I need to know they will do well in this regard.

I also don't understand the venting on these speakers. I have a basic understanding of the principles behind a sealed box speaker, a ported speaker and even an open baffle speaker, but I don't understand the principles behind this vented design and its impact on the sound. Jeff, or anyone, can you help me understand this vented design and its value contribution to the overall sound?

Thanks!

Louis
post #329 of 22485 Old 09-28-2009, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What don't you understand? They are a ported speaker but, instead of using a round port they are using a slotted port design in the front of the speaker.
post #330 of 22485 Old 09-28-2009, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

The Triple 8's are by far the best speakers I have heard for music. They were originally designed for music use in professional venues. You will not be dissapointed.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page