Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1111 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 7512Likes

Old 12-25-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtavan View Post
RMK!, I'm afraid I can't PM until I've got a higher post count, but I received yours and those days sound very good as I'll be passing through the area on my way to the mountains. Is there one that would be better for you? I can steer my schedule around yours.
I also just sent a PM either day works for me, but Monday is better.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Merry Christmas guys, hope it was a great day.
RMK! and theblackangus like this.

Nabs17
Old 12-25-2015, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
Thanks very much - as I told RMK in an email, I really appreciate both of you being willing to demo your systems to someone you don't know - there are so many wonderful people sharing this hobby! Of course once I finish the media room build I would be happy to return the hospitality. Still not sure what the speaker setup will end up being, though the side and ceiling splash channels will be DIYSoundGroup Volt-8 and the rears will be Concentric-8. The room will have four infinite baffle subwoofer manifolds built into the front wall, each with a pair of AE IB15 woofers. Sub-bass should not be a problem. I'm looking at the JTR speakers for mains as something that should be able to keep up with that sub setup.

RMK has my direct email as I can't yet send PMs. Monday looks like it should work. I figure I'll head north and make it to his part of town shortly after noon, then swing by your place.

Thanks again!
Old 12-25-2015, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Merry Xmas guys, I ran marantz test tone on the OS LFU, holy crap!!

When you look at the output drive side into the wood cavity, all u see his birch wood...I guess driver mounted inward into horn structure??

Anybody else with OS LFU can chime in, Google images of OS show 18" woofer facing out..what's the story??
Old 12-26-2015, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince32837 View Post
Merry Xmas guys, I ran marantz test tone on the OS LFU, holy crap!!

When you look at the output drive side into the wood cavity, all u see his birch wood...I guess driver mounted inward into horn structure??

Anybody else with OS LFU can chime in, Google images of OS show 18" woofer facing out..what's the story??

You can't see the driver as its behind the access panel at the mouth of the horn.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Just ordered Omnimic.

I hate using REW, always have calibration issues or SPL level issues, or my mic just isn't recognized or a myriad of other issues.

I have been reading your praises of Omnimic for quite a while now. I never take measurements unless I absolutely have to. I look forward to the ease of use and taking frequent measurements!
How are you liking it so far?
Old 12-26-2015, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
You can't see the driver as its behind the access panel at the mouth of the horn.
thanks Vince
Old 12-26-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimectrs View Post
How are you liking it so far?
I have only used Omnimic for a few minutes when I first got it.

I just installed 12 GIK panels over last few days. Need to run Audyssey again and then will play with Omnimic to get the sub distance tweak worked out.

Will report back in a few days.
jaimectrs likes this.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
Thanks very much - as I told RMK in an email, I really appreciate both of you being willing to demo your systems to someone you don't know - there are so many wonderful people sharing this hobby! Of course once I finish the media room build I would be happy to return the hospitality. Still not sure what the speaker setup will end up being, though the side and ceiling splash channels will be DIYSoundGroup Volt-8 and the rears will be Concentric-8. The room will have four infinite baffle subwoofer manifolds built into the front wall, each with a pair of AE IB15 woofers. Sub-bass should not be a problem. I'm looking at the JTR speakers for mains as something that should be able to keep up with that sub setup.

RMK has my direct email as I can't yet send PMs. Monday looks like it should work. I figure I'll head north and make it to his part of town shortly after noon, then swing by your place.

Thanks again!
I'd suggest going with V8s or C8s for all your surround speakers, rather than mixing. There are real benefits to having matching speakers.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Received my Slanted 8HT-LP's on Christmas Eve and had some requests for photo's....so here they are.

They are 14"x14" square and have different width's which I've highlighted in a couple of the photo's.

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec272015 029.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1144626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec272015 032.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1144634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec272015 033.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	1144642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec272015 031.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1144650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec272015 030.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1144658  

RMK!, staaled, rhed and 7 others like this.

Nabs17
Old 12-27-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Received my Slanted 8HT-LP's on Christmas Eve and had some requests for photo's....so here they are.

They are 14"x14" square and have different width's which I've highlighted in a couple of the photo's.

Enjoy.

those look awesome! thanks for the pics. i would love some slanted 8s to replace my ascends for surround duty but man that price tag is hard to justify (with the wife that is hahah) ill probably purchase a pair or maybe even 4 some time this year. look forward to your impressions..

7.4 w/ denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s LCR
Ascend acoustics cmt 340se side ss.
ascend acoustics cbm170se rear ss
dual reaction audio gamma 21s!
Dual PSA s3600i's
Old 12-27-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
those look awesome! thanks for the pics. i would love some slanted 8s to replace my ascends for surround duty but man that price tag is hard to justify (with the wife that is hahah) ill probably purchase a pair or maybe even 4 some time this year. look forward to your impressions..
Don't think twice about them. Most definitely worth it even at its price point. The drivers he uses are high quality and custom made. When I receive all my speakers last year I was really curious as what those single 8's could do. Cause it was blind buy for me. And just went for it cause of the high praise they were given in the forum. So i hooked those up as mains with subs just to see what they can do. And they perform exceedingly well. If I was needing a simple compact 2.1 setup. I would imagine L/R Single 8HT on stands with a single Cap 118HT sub would just stomp in such a small package. Now for surround duty? Well I most definitely hear things that I've never heard before when I had my old setup. Now, I just can't wait to move up my slanted's overhead now for ATMOS. Yes, making the move to go ATMOS .. And I really can't wait to go true full range setup all the way around the 7 channels. I've being reading and hearing great things goin full range speakers all the way around. Jus waiting on Jeff to send the bill..
RMK! and nash23 like this.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I added 12 GIK panels yesterday and ran audyssey last night. Listened to some 2 channel music with the subs off and it sounded great on the 210RT's. We watched the first 4 Star Wars movies today in preparation for seeing the new one this coming week and I didn't even realize my subs were turned off until I was just checking a setting a few minutes ago!
RMK!, rhed and nash23 like this.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I added 12 GIK panels yesterday and ran audyssey last night. Listened to some 2 channel music with the subs off and it sounded great on the 210RT's. We watched the first 4 Star Wars movies today in preparation for seeing the new one this coming week and I didn't even realize my subs were turned off until I was just checking a setting a few minutes ago!

If it is not too much trouble, could you please share photos of where you have placed the GIK panels with resoect to the 210rt.

I am contemplating adding GIK panels as well to use only the 210rts for music.

Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Marantz 8802A | Emotiva XPA-2/5 | JTR Noesis 210RM (C) | JTR 210RT (LR) | JTR Single 8HT-LP (Surrounds) | JTR Single 8HT (Surround Backs) | Deftech Procinema 1000 (ATMOS) | Seaton Submersive HPi+/Slave Subwoofers
Old 12-28-2015, 12:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash23 View Post
If it is not too much trouble, could you please share photos of where you have placed the GIK panels with resoect to the 210rt.

I am contemplating adding GIK panels as well to use only the 210rts for music.
I need to add a few panels on my ceiling. I have 4 24x48x4 panels left. Any idea's on how should I hang these on to the ceiling? Never got around to think about how im gonna do this.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
I need to add a few panels on my ceiling. I have 4 24x48x4 panels left. Any idea's on how should I hang these on to the ceiling? Never got around to think about how im gonna do this.
Dont they come with the mounting elements?

Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Marantz 8802A | Emotiva XPA-2/5 | JTR Noesis 210RM (C) | JTR 210RT (LR) | JTR Single 8HT-LP (Surrounds) | JTR Single 8HT (Surround Backs) | Deftech Procinema 1000 (ATMOS) | Seaton Submersive HPi+/Slave Subwoofers
Old 12-28-2015, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2254 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
I used those plant hanging hook thingies. The panels have built in hooks on them, so I just used wire and the plant hooks. Make sure you go as tight as you possibly can with the wire or the panel will hang too far from the ceiling. I have 2" of space between the panel and the ceiling, Glen at GIK told me that's a good distance.

rhed and DRC3 like this.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I used those plant hanging hook thingies. The panels have built in hooks on them, so I just used wire and the plant hooks. Make sure you go as tight as you possibly can with the wire or the panel will hang too far from the ceiling. I have 2" of space between the panel and the ceiling, Glen at GIK told me that's a good distance.

Nice.. Thanks carp..
Old 12-28-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I also used similar hooks but I didn't use wire as carp did, I connected the hooks directly to the looped hooks on the back of the panels.

Nabs17
Old 12-28-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Or if you buy GIK panels you can also buy their cloud mounting brackets but I like the hooks better because you can't see them, looks like the panel is just floating there.

Nabs17
Old 12-28-2015, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Or if you buy GIK panels you can also buy their cloud mounting brackets but I like the hooks better because you can't see them, looks like the panel is just floating there.
I have 4 of their panels left for the ceiling. Have not installed them yet as I have a drop ceiling and I'm not sure how i am going to hang these

Last edited by raynist; 12-28-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Quote:
The room will have four infinite baffle subwoofer manifolds built into the front wall, each with a pair of AE IB15 woofers. Sub-bass should not be a problem. I'm looking at the JTR speakers for mains as something that should be able to keep up with that sub setup.
I have two infinite baffle manifolds with 4 AE IB15 woofers in each manifold. You will really like your subwoofer system!

JTR mains with an IB system will make for an incredible system.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
Old 12-28-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
I have 4 of their panels left for th ceiling. Have not installed them yet as I have a drop ceiling and I m not sure how i am going to hanged these
You could get scissor clips that attach to the ceiling grid.
A drop ceiling with acoustic tiles is already has good acoustic properties. I saw someone around here who had put some batting above the drop ceiling to act like a bass trap.
BTW, painting ceiling tiles will hurt their acoustic properties.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I was also thinking of putting some panels on my ceiling soon. Is it better to put them above the LCR? Or above the seating position. There are definitely times when the bass is cranked and I hear rattling from my drop ceiling. I guess thats the downside of having such a thin ceiling with minimal fluffy above

Followed recommendations and watched John Wick last night. Gotta say, wasn't expecting it to be that good but WOAH! That club shootout
Old 12-28-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2254 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
I was also thinking of putting some panels on my ceiling soon. Is it better to put them above the LCR? Or above the seating position. There are definitely times when the bass is cranked and I hear rattling from my drop ceiling. I guess thats the downside of having such a thin ceiling with minimal fluffy above

Followed recommendations and watched John Wick last night. Gotta say, wasn't expecting it to be that good but WOAH! That club shootout

Put the panels on the first reflection point on the ceiling which can be done with a mirror if you have help or by a tape measure and math if you don't. Honestly with the dispersion of JTR speakers we probably don't need any treatments on the ceiling but oh well....
jbrown15 and Naylorman32 like this.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Finally got my shelf and finished the front....
Acoustic treatments for the rest of the room will be done early January. Getting close!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JTR_Front.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	1147402  
Old 12-28-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked21 View Post
Finally got my shelf and finished the front....
Acoustic treatments for the rest of the room will be done early January. Getting close!
When is the third Captivator arriving?
Stoked21 likes this.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
Old 12-28-2015, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
When is the third Captivator arriving?
LMAO....I told Jeff I didn't really need the second cap....I was just in need of a matching speaker stand!

Honestly though, I haven't used REW or omnimic or anything to measure response. But it must have done a helluva job smoothing the LF. The bass is significantly improved with it's addition.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post

I've got a few rattles when things get crazy bass wise and at first, I tried to track them down and eliminate all rattles. Then I though if all hell is breaking loose on the screen, whats the problem with the room joining in the fun? Every stumbling block a stepping stone ...

If your going to treat the ceiling it should be (as Carp said) the first reflection for the LCR. You need someone to hold up a mirror and use a laser pen (or you can eyeball it) to find the FR point. That said, with the 60 degree dispersion of the horn, treating first reflections may be unnecessary.
Naylorman32 likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 322
^ I found even with a 40deg vertical dispersion on the 212's, treating the ceiling was beneficial in subjective listening and objective testing. The pattern control of the speaker does help a lot but you can still get a lot of benefit from treat ments too depending on the room, seating distance etc. My neighbor just installed his 215's and after thorough listening between our two rooms we are both convinced treatments will improve SQ. Just my observations and testing for the last 3 years in my room, your results may vary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis