Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7125Likes

Old 01-23-2016, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
It could be a semantics problem. I understand and have enjoyed my "room gain" on the low frequencies. It was only when I heard the strange noise in the Everest storm scene that I became concerned. Carp made a good suggestion above and i will try and get that done this weekend. If any other 215RT owner has Everest and can try that big storm hitting scene out and report back it would be much appreciated.

Here is my Inuke HP setting:

BTW, many would consider 20db+ "house curve" as excessive ... just not many around here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
^ I get that +20dB is a big house curve, it just that you're getting it for "free" with the room gain. Hopefully you can fix it, luckily with your room gain you could still have a +15dB house curve and send -5dB signal to those freq, which is easy on the amp and driver.

I think what Rob is saying is he could pull down a lot of that gain with EQ if he wanted to (and still have hot bass) which would obviously take a lot of work away from the drivers.

We all know that is no good though. Under no circumstances do you pull down room gain if you are lucky enough to have that much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
It could be a semantics problem. I understand and have enjoyed my "room gain" on the low frequencies. It was only when I heard the strange noise in the Everest storm scene that I became concerned. Carp made a good suggestion above and i will try and get that done this weekend. If any other 215RT owner has Everest and can try that big storm hitting scene out and report back it would be much appreciated.

Here is my Inuke HP setting:

BTW, many would consider 20db+ "house curve" as excessive ... just not many around here.
Quote:
Yep that's the deal. Pretty good movie too so I think it's worth the buy. If you don't like it, I'll refund your money ...
Haha.. Nah, sometimes I just buy movies for the challenging bass scenes. Just to hear and feel the S2's quake the whole house. Then hear the wifey yell all the way across the end of the hall to turn it down.. My son and I have always laugh and have a blast about it all the time. And then not even watched the whole movie yet.lol.. My most recent one is Pulse. Went straight to the server room. Lol
Old 01-23-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Watched Everest last night...actually turned down the bass as the wife was not liking how it made her feel. I thought it was great. The storm in the movie mirrored the storm outside. Just got down shovelling snow, 32.5" so far.

Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html[/B]
Old 01-23-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 322
^As Rob said it must be a semantic thing. In the midwest when we say "biting you in the butt" its usually a negative thing. It was confusing because the room gain is what might end up saving the day! My ported 212's get a lot of room gain (+10dB) from about 125hz-80hz with close wall placement. It just proves there is such a thing as a free lunch!
Old 01-23-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
^As Rob said it must be a semantic thing. In the midwest when we say "biting you in the butt" its usually a negative thing. It was confusing because the room gain is what might end up saving the day! My ported 212's get a lot of room gain (+10dB) from about 125hz-80hz with close wall placement. It just proves there is such a thing as a free lunch!
Since the measurements showing the big "room gain" are from the primary LP it is very likely the result of a bass peak at that location. When DD was here he averaged the front row measurements and there was room gain but it was ARAIR within normal (for this thread) 6-10db range.

Oh and even though I live in California, being bitten in the butt is considered "a negative thing" by most of us (Kim Kardashian excluded).
lbrown105 likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Do you listen to 2 channel music? If not, then go for the 212's. If however you think there is ever a chance that at some point you would be interested in running full range mains for music then I'd go with the 210 RT's. If there is any way possible to have a matching vertical center channel I highly recommend it. For years I fought that and had a horizontal 212 under my screen. A year ago I finally got an AT screen and put the center channel 212 behind it. Should have done it a long time ago...

Still, a horizontal 228 HTR will work a lot better than the smaller Salk center channel. However, I do really love your Salk towers for music, I've heard them many times. While I do prefer the JTR's even for music, the Salks provide a different flavor of awesome for music that I really enjoy.

A friend owns both your speakers - the same model of Salks for music upstairs and JTR's for his unbelievably awesome theater. He has the 212's and if I had his theater I would too because it is so well treated and very large so you would want as much headroom from the mains as possible and the 212's provide that pretty much better than any speaker I know of (recently measured at 105 sensitivity, much higher than the conservative rating by JTR).

He might chime in here with more advice.

@dlbeck
@Chriscorv58

I absolutely love my Salk HT2-TL's for 2 channel music...those ribbon tweeters are super smooth for those female vocals. But if you're also using them for movies, I understand why they are not fitting the bill. The JTR's are a lot more dynamic and I would follow what @carp said about the 210's vs the 212's. If you have the bottom end covered go with the 212's. Can't go wrong.

Oh...and save the Salk's for 2 channel.
carp likes this.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
@Chriscorv58

I absolutely love my Salk HT2-TL's for 2 channel music...those ribbon tweeters are super smooth for those female vocals. But if you're also using them for movies, I understand why they are not fitting the bill. The JTR's are a lot more dynamic and I would follow what @carp said about the 210's vs the 212's. If you have the bottom end covered go with the 212's. Can't go wrong.

Oh...and save the Salk's for 2 channel.
They truly are wonderful for female vocals, I need more rooms in the house in order to keep them.

I'd love them for strickly 2 channel. I'm so glad I didn't pull the trigger on a pair of soundscape 8s earlier this month. I still would not have been satisfied for movies.

Hopefully someone has jtr speakers in my area that will demo them for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sony 940c 75" Display, Marantz AV8801, HTPC, JTR 215RM Mains & JTR 210RM Center, DIY Surrounds, Crown Xti & Cdi Amps, Seaton Submersive HP+ Master and Slave.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Since it looks like I am not going to sell my 212's I moved them back up into the living room. I forgot how heavy they are when lugging them up a flight of steps, especially having bronchitis.

Anyways, here is a picture of them on top of a pair of SI18's in DIY 4cf boxes. I have 2 more subs to build too.

This is a secondary living room system so I don't want to go too crazy. I am trying to figure out how to get the center integrated. There is only 10 inches between the top shelf and the bottom of the TV. The TV can't go any higher on the stand mount. I could probably hang the TV higher on the wall, but I am not sure that stand can support 125lbs on the top shelf. I would like something lower and wider that I could perhaps put the Denon 4520 on top of with the center to get more airflow. If I got a stand like that I could probably put the TV on top of the center although I don't want to scratch the veneer.

Anyone have any ideas of what I could do to potentially keep the current stand and still use the center? I was also think of building something to go over the top shelf that would have legs down to the ground to support the center and tv weight. i am thinking combined they are 170-180.

I may move the subs at some point too and build/buy stands from JTR
Found this one at my local Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-insignia-tv-stand-for-most-flat-panel-tvs-up-to-50-black/3088183.p?id=1218377796327&skuId=3088183&cmp=qrc00 586#

300lb rating!!!
Old 01-24-2016, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Since the measurements showing the big "room gain" are from the primary LP it is very likely the result of a bass peak at that location. When DD was here he averaged the front row measurements and there was room gain but it was ARAIR within normal (for this thread) 6-10db range.

Oh and even though I live in California, being bitten in the butt is considered "a negative thing" by most of us (Kim Kardashian excluded).
you are squirming. So sorry you feel that way. it is a product of your misunderstanding of room gain at any position inn the room. I wish I hadn't pointed that out on a public forum. At first I truly thought there was another reason. You have crystallized it for all of us, so sorry it had to turn out like this for you.

Still friends? Room gain is your friend even if I am not.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscorv58 View Post
Using a Marantz 8801 and have a parasound A21 for mains and my older Acurus A250 for the center. I'm so used to listening to music with my seaton submersives. I have the HT2 TL's Crossed at 60Hz, center at 80hz

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I am using a Parasound A51 with JTR 212s (coax version, now called HTR).
I tried a couple other amps, and I found the A51/212 combination to be exceptional.
The treble has ribbon-like smoothness and detail, combined with dynamics that no ribbon can touch.
Surprisingly, I found that the smoothness was significantly diminished with some Hypex NC400 amps I tried, and I couldn't fix it with EQ.

So, if you are crossing with subs and don't need 2000 watts, I'd highly recommend using that A21 with any coax-equipped JTR.
Chriscorv58 likes this.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
you are squirming. So sorry you feel that way. it is a product of your misunderstanding of room gain at any position inn the room. I wish I hadn't pointed that out on a public forum. At first I truly thought there was another reason. You have crystallized it for all of us, so sorry it had to turn out like this for you.

Still friends? Room gain is your friend even if I am not.
Put the pipe down Lance

Opinions are not facts.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

whew thanks because that thing is too heavy to carry around. did you find the ultimate cause? was it just excursion limits of the driver?
Old 01-24-2016, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
whew thanks because that thing is too heavy to carry around. did you find the ultimate cause? was it just excursion limits of the driver?
Haven't had the time yet as I am a slave to the computer (working) and a sick wife this weekend. We did watch Out of Compton last night and I think that movie pretty much ruled out any problems with the woofers. That movie with 3 OS's would be interesting. I'm beginning to think that the sound(s) I heard on the Everest storm scene was intended.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Haven't had the time yet as I am a slave to the computer (working) and a sick wife this weekend. We did watch Out of Compton last night and I think that movie pretty much ruled out any problems with the woofers. That movie with 3 OS's would be interesting. I'm beginning to think that the sound(s) I heard on the Everest storm scene was intended.
Could be... could also be accidental clipping by the sound dude. That happens in a scene in Ender's Game in a surround on the right side of the room. At first I thought my speaker was being over driven but when I turned the MV way down and re ran the scene the distortion sound is there no matter how low the volume is.
shivaji likes this.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 928
before center and 500 lb capacity insignia stand (300 lb top shelf, 100 other shelves)

Center and new shelf - not thrilled with the tv being higher, but it isn't as bad as some people I see that hang them over a fireplace. My wife informed me that I need to raise the clock She helped set everything up.

Can't get over how huge the center looks. The TV is a 60. Looks like I need a bigger TV now!

carp, N8DOGG, shivaji and 2 others like this.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 895
To the guys with a marantx 7702's, has anyone experienced no sound when pausing a movie on their oppo? If I pause my oppo with a movie thats started, theres no sound when it returns. Though maybe someone else may have had that bug. Very weird.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 01-24-2016, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
To the guys with a marantx 7702's, has anyone experienced no sound when pausing a movie on their oppo? If I pause my oppo with a movie thats started, theres no sound when it returns. Though maybe someone else may have had that bug. Very weird.
Never had the problem. Maybe it's an HDMI handshake issue?
Old 01-24-2016, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Never had the problem. Maybe it's an HDMI handshake issue?
Thats what I'm assuming as it's only with my 103D. It flat out refuses to work with my external darbee. Under no circumstance will it work, could have something to do with that too I guess. The darbee worked fine with my 80.3 and works fine attached to my old oppo 103 but won't work with the 7702 with any cable/input combo. Kinda weird.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Thats what I'm assuming as it's only with my 103D. It flat out refuses to work with my external darbee. Under no circumstance will it work, could have something to do with that too I guess. The darbee worked fine with my 80.3 and works fine attached to my old oppo 103 but won't work with the 7702 with any cable/input combo. Kinda weird.
Yeah, I've got the 103D as well. Curious, why you using an external Darbee? Is it better than the integrated solution in the Oppo?
Old 01-24-2016, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Yeah, I've got the 103D as well. Curious, why you using an external Darbee? Is it better than the integrated solution in the Oppo?
The 103d was upstairs and the external was in the Ht room with the 103. I moved the 103d downstairs when the external wouldn't work. It's wierd.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 412
@RMK

Got home late from gym. Been at the gym almost all day today and yesterday. Though I stopped by bb and picked up the Everest copy. Will run that scene tomorrow after work. So far I've disabled all EQ on the 12000, set a HP @ 20. And 24 slope. My speakers are level matched @ 80 with a ratshack meter.. I'll post my findings after the run..
RMK! likes this.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
I'm running the 215RT's full range so no LFE channels. The 215's are level matched with no frequency boost and 18-50hz is running 20db hot (approx, OmniMic). Some like it hot () but it seemed like at a reasonably sane -7db MV I was pushing the woofers beyond their limits during the storm sequences of The Martian and Everest. I didn't check to see if the amps were clipping (they probably were) but at -7, they shouldn't.

Most of the time I'm fine with those frequencies running hot but certain movies with really aggressive audio point out the need to bring the +20db down. I could use Audyssey or the DSP in the Inukes or I could get a more powerful amp. Hope to have some time to run Audyssey today and see what that does. I don't like limits and I sure as hell don't like finding them at -7 MV.
If you are "properly" routing LFE to the 215's playing the pod scene in WOTW anywhere near reference you will find that limit immediately.. Just an FYI.

Last edited by SOWK; 01-25-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I suggest some of you don't go looking for the limits of some of your speakers, sometimes ignorance is bless.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
AV7702 and OPPO 103D here as well and no issues like you are having. I have all of my sources (HTPC and Xfinity cable box) routed through the OPPO via HDMI (bitstream). So I only have one HDMI input on the 7702 and it's a straight HDMI video pass through to the projector. I will occasionally get dropouts with my streaming service (VUDU) and then it seems to happen only on the main VUDU menu . Once I start the movie all is well. My HDMI cable is a 50'er and 5 years old so I'm thinking that is the culprit.

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 01-25-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
If you are "properly" routing LFE to the 215's playing the pod scene in WOTW anywhere near reference you will find that limit immediately.. Just an FYI.
I run the LCR's full range so the SSP routes the LFE to the front speakers. I have run the Pod emerging scene many times @ ref levels with no issues.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I run the LCR's full range so the SSP routes the LFE to the front speakers. I have run the Pod emerging scene many times @ ref levels with no issues.
I suggest you try this via the Oppo 103D.

http://www.demo-world.eu/download-2d...1_lossless.jpg

and download this file by clicking on the picture

http://s1.demo-world.eu/hd_trailers....sless-DWEU.mkv

put the file onto a USB stick and play DIRECTLY from the Oppo 103D for best accuracy and not from the HTPC.

If it gets to the LFE channel and you hear no output, you're not routing the LFE properly.

And please make sure all test tones play at the same level dB.

Including the LFE channel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1208882  

Last edited by SOWK; 01-25-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

RMK, if you find out you have not been routing LFE to the 215's, please do NOT do it.

That's all I am going to say.

Last edited by SOWK; 01-25-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
I suggest you try this via the Oppo 103D.

http://www.demo-world.eu/download-2d...1_lossless.jpg

and download this file

http://s1.demo-world.eu/hd_trailers....sless-DWEU.mkv

put the file onto a USB stick and play DIRECTLY from the Oppo 103D for best accuracy and not from the HTPC.

If it gets to the LFE channel and you hear no output you're not routing the LFE properly.

And please make sure all test tones play at the same level dB.

Including the LFE channel.
Thank you for the suggestions but I'm running the 215RT's full range and not doing bass management in the OPPO. I do use JRiver for BM on the HTPC where the LFE is mixed into the LCR's. When streaming or playing a bluray, all LFE is routed to my LCR's by the SSP and nothing is connected to the LFE channel. The net result is the same hence Full Range output including LFE to my LCR's regardless of the source.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions but I'm running the 215RT's full range and not doing bass management in the OPPO. I do use JRiver for BM on the HTPC where the LFE is mixed into the LCR's. When streaming or playing a bluray, all LFE is routed to my LCR's by the SSP and nothing is connected to the LFE channel. The net result is the same hence Full Range output including LFE to my LCR's regardless of the source.
Then play the file via your HTPC. No harm in trying it.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is your config?

Where does the SSP fit in?

HTPC (JRiver) > Oppo 103D > SSP > Pre-Amp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis