Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6027Likes

post #33871 of 33882 Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I have a question regarding subs and placement. I have two Seaton submersives in the front of my room about 10 feet apart one happens to be corner loaded.

I've never felt like I was lacking bass but I'm Tempted to get a 3rd submersive and place it behind my sectional also corner loaded.

It would end up two in the front next to my main speakers and one in the back, any guesses if I would notice a big difference getting the 3rd?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Samsung es6150 55", Marantz av8801, Home Built HTPC, Sony S590 - BluRay, Salk HT2 TL's - Mains, Polk LSIC - Center, Parasound A21 for mains & Acurus A250 for center channel, Seaton Submersive HP+, Kimber Kable 12TC and Hero Interconnects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33872 of 33882 Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscorv58 View Post
I have a question regarding subs and placement. I have two Seaton submersives in the front of my room about 10 feet apart one happens to be corner loaded.

I've never felt like I was lacking bass but I'm Tempted to get a 3rd submersive and place it behind my sectional also corner loaded.

It would end up two in the front next to my main speakers and one in the back, any guesses if I would notice a big difference getting the 3rd?

Unless it's nearfield or you have some huge null, I highly doubt you'll notice much of a difference. It's only going to net you 3dB extra.
BUT, if you can place one nearfield.... I'd bet you will have a face full of smiles for a long time. It's the easiest way to get some fun experience out of your subs.

It's kinda funny, I've been running nearfield subs for 7 or 8 years now. People balked at running nearfield subs that entire time. I personally always loved it, it's truly a fun experience.... Now all of the sudden in the last year or so, it's pretty much the #1 recommendation..... I'm glad people finally came to their senses
carp, rcohen and HTPCat like this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #33873 of 33882 Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Unless it's nearfield or you have some huge null, I highly doubt you'll notice much of a difference. It's only going to net you 3dB extra.
BUT, if you can place one nearfield.... I'd bet you will have a face full of smiles for a long time. It's the easiest way to get some fun experience out of your subs.

It's kinda funny, I've been running nearfield subs for 7 or 8 years now. People balked at running nearfield subs that entire time. I personally always loved it, it's truly a fun experience.... Now all of the sudden in the last year or so, it's pretty much the #1 recommendation..... I'm glad people finally came to their senses
Would it be considered nearfeild 8 feet away, vs my other 2 being 14 feet?

Wondering about room modes as well with a 3rd, It was such a difference adding the 2nd. Just seemed so much more balanced no weird peeks or dips.

Samsung es6150 55", Marantz av8801, Home Built HTPC, Sony S590 - BluRay, Salk HT2 TL's - Mains, Polk LSIC - Center, Parasound A21 for mains & Acurus A250 for center channel, Seaton Submersive HP+, Kimber Kable 12TC and Hero Interconnects

Last edited by Chriscorv58; Yesterday at 10:09 AM.
post #33874 of 33882 Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Would it be considered nearfeild 8 feet away, vs my other 2 being 14 feet?

Wondering about room modes as well with a 3rd, It was such a difference adding the 2nd. Just seemed so much more balanced no weird peeks or dips.

No. I don't know if there is an accepted standard at what distance represents nearfield, but i have a seaton hp master and slave placed on both sides of my head with drivers facing forward and back. Forward facing drivers (top edge) are about 10 inches from each ear
countryWV and DRC3 like this.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #33875 of 33882 Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
No. I don't know if there is an accepted standard at what distance represents nearfield, but i have a seaton hp master and slave placed on both sides of my head with drivers facing forward and back. Forward facing drivers (top edge) are about 10 inches from each ear
Lmao, that is nutty

post #33876 of 33882 Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

When I think if nearfield, I generally think of around 4 feet or less.

post #33877 of 33882 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Well I guess we could get the 3rd sub and use it for an end table lol. It would be 4 feet or less then.

DRC3 likes this.

post #33878 of 33882 Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well I guess we could get the 3rd sub and use it for an end table lol. It would be 4 feet or less then.

You could just try one of your current subs nearfield and see if you like the experience for fun!

post #33879 of 33882 Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I bet at that distance of 8 ft compared to 14ft for the current subs plus corner loaded he will gain 6dB maybe slightly more @MLP . Just a guess based on my testing experience.
Chriscorv58 likes this.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1 w/Dirac Live, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifiers: Sunfire TGA7400 (surrounds), Lab Gruppen FP10000Q (mains)
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HTR (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Sony VPL HW40ES
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #33880 of 33882 Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I bet at that distance of 8 ft compared to 14ft for the current subs plus corner loaded he will gain 6dB maybe slightly more @MLP . Just a guess based on my testing experience.
Chriscorv58 likes this.

Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HTR (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
post #33881 of 33882 Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoProdigy View Post
When you say opposing corners, do you mean diagonally across the room? I did move a sub to the left rear corner and the response wasn't terrible facing the rear wall (south), but I don't recall whether I had the other sub in the front right corner at the time, whether I measured it separately and together. In short, I don't know, but maybe I'll feel inclined to push them around some more tonight...
Yep...reading back my post, it was kind of confusing.

Opposing corners can work very well, combined with EQ.
Any opposite sides cancels nulls.
Opposing corners can cancel nulls along the length and width axes.
Plus, you get the (big) output benefit of corner loading.
The potential down sides are:
1) It can create some big peaks (easily tamed with EQ).
2) It doesn't cancel the null from the perpendicular diagonal.
3) You'll get some seat to seat inconsistency.

In some cases it's a great option, though. Worth a try.
There are always compromises, especially without more subs.

Ideally, use two corners that are good for corner loading (no open hallways).
post #33882 of 33882 Old Today, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

So my neighbor switched out his 215's for some 212's and dual OS's. He also got the 228HTR center with custom center stand to angle the speaker up. They are all the 2016 models and the 212's feature the new Neo magnet woofers Jeff recently posted pictures of. Wow is all I can say. Not only was the headroom ridiculous, with almost no setup other than delay setting for the subs and one small filter the seamless integration with the mains was outstanding. No comparison to the previous set up at any listening volume. The room also now featured a full ceiling cloud with 4 inch absorbers about an inch off the ceiling. Looked good and performed really well. Here are a few pics. Had to have the lights on otherwise the screen image was too bright for my camera settings. With the lights off the speakers disappeared. Really cool.

Not convinced I was impressed with the new 212's, just click the link.

JTR 212HTRs FOR SALE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0423.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1234257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1234265  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page