Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8378Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #34201 of 37459 Old 02-26-2016, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 3,585
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
Has anyone else been getting email notifications of posts only to click on them and they are not there? Has happened at least 3-4 times to me over the past day unless people are deleting their own posts??
raynist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34202 of 37459 Old 02-26-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,143
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
On the Tone Control? eek, I tried that a little and it did NOT play well with my setup.
It doesn't make much difference in sound at all IMO.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is online now  
post #34203 of 37459 Old 02-26-2016, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
If anyone has Tidal and love drum solos. I recommend this to run through your speakers. Or speakers and subs.. Tracks 2, 17, 19, 20, and 21.. And please crank it up!

Attachment 1279297
Yea, that's weird.. I got 2 of em too..
rhed is offline  
 
post #34204 of 37459 Old 02-26-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,649
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Has anyone else been getting email notifications of posts only to click on them and they are not there? Has happened at least 3-4 times to me over the past day unless people are deleting their own posts??
Actually these are secret posts that can only be viewed by those of us who have at least 3000 posts in the Thread and they are often the most interesting and entertaining posts on the Forum.

Obviously you need to try harder.

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #34205 of 37459 Old 02-26-2016, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 3,585
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Actually these are secret posts that can only be viewed by those of us who have at least 3000 posts in the Thread and they are often the most interesting and entertaining posts on the Forum.

Obviously you need to try harder.
LOL!!!

I can still read them in my email preview but they are gone when I click the link.

Might take me a few more years to be part of that secret club!!
raynist is offline  
post #34206 of 37459 Old 02-26-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Actually these are secret posts that can only be viewed by those of us who have at least 3000 posts in the Thread and they are often the most interesting and entertaining posts on the Forum.

Obviously you need to try harder.
Aren't you the only member of this secret club??
countryWV likes this.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is offline  
post #34207 of 37459 Old 02-26-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,649
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Aren't you the only member of this secret club??
Well, there is that ...
Nabs17 and countryWV like this.

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #34208 of 37459 Old 02-26-2016, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Actually these are secret posts that can only be viewed by those of us who have at least 3000 posts in the Thread and they are often the most interesting and entertaining posts on the Forum.

Obviously you need to try harder.
Dang it.. I'm far from 3000.. I need to post more. What the hell do I talk about? Buy more speakers?
rhed is offline  
post #34209 of 37459 Old 02-26-2016, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,649
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Dang it.. I'm far from 3000.. I need to post more. What the hell do I talk about? Buy more speakers?
I think many of you are too focused on having something interesting to say. I just say anything that pops into my head. If there are days when my heads not poppin, I just post pics of my HT or dog.

rhed and HTPCat like this.

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #34210 of 37459 Old 02-27-2016, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
hogues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
No JTR at Axpona this year? JTR is one of the few reasons I go.

hogues is offline  
post #34211 of 37459 Old 02-28-2016, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
staaled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 85
By now I have mounted and connected the S8 's.

I find the sound to be stunning.
Impact and transparancy is amazing.
However the overhead experience seems to be a bit less obvious.
I use Dolby demo's Amaze Horizon Shattered etc.
Whats the general experience with these demo's ?

Below is a pic of the Powersoft M20D that I am using to power the S8's.
Very , very slight fan noise at all sane levels.
I like the fact that finally I have an amp with gain adjust ( besides the subwoofer amps)
Setup with ADSY and the rest of the system was a snap because of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1283673  

Last edited by staaled; 02-28-2016 at 01:13 PM.
staaled is offline  
post #34212 of 37459 Old 02-28-2016, 09:33 AM
Senior Member
 
staaled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 85
S8's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1283689  
carp, rhed, wilfredent and 3 others like this.
staaled is offline  
post #34213 of 37459 Old 02-28-2016, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,649
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by staaled View Post
By now I have mounted and connected the S8 's.

I find the sound to be stunning.
Impact and transparancy is amazing.
However the overhead experience seems to be a bit less obvious.
I use Dolby demo's Amaze Horizon Shattered etc.
Whats the general experience with these demo's ?
You want the overhead sound to be natural and appropriate, correct? I have found those Dolby Atmos demos to be a good way to experience 3D audio and the ceiling mounted speakers. The Bailando music video also takes advantage of the height channels. But like any surround effect, it needs to be appropriate to the scene you are viewing. If it seems underwhelming, you could try boosting the levels a bit.

Prior to my ceiling installation, my only Atmos experience was in a commercial theater. I find the Atmos @ home experience much more enjoyable than the commercial theater. For that matter, the entire audio experience is better at home ... by a good margin.
staaled, rhed, arsMatrix and 1 others like this.

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #34214 of 37459 Old 02-28-2016, 09:55 AM
Senior Member
 
staaled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
You want the overhead sound to be natural and appropriate, correct? I have found those Dolby Atmos demos to be a good way to experience 3D audio and the ceiling mounted speakers. The Bailando music video also takes advantage of the height channels. But like any surround effect, it needs to be appropriate to the scene you are viewing. If it seems underwhelming, you could try boosting the levels a bit.

Prior to my ceiling installation, my only Atmos experience was in a commercial theater. I find the Atmos @ home experience much more enjoyable than the commercial theater. For that matter, the entire audio experience is better at home ... by a good margin.
Yes and in these departments its obviously better than non-Atmos. By a wide margin.

Experience is the right word for it.
There is an uncanny presence of sound.
The S8's blend so well and never seem to run out of steam.
I am already looking for more spots to mount some.
Gooddoc likes this.
staaled is offline  
post #34215 of 37459 Old 02-28-2016, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
WereWolf84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by staaled View Post
S8's.
is that curtains track rail on the wall & ceiling?
WereWolf84 is online now  
post #34216 of 37459 Old 02-28-2016, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 2,232
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 347
More likely to be something to hide cabling

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
HTPCat is online now  
post #34217 of 37459 Old 02-29-2016, 01:06 AM
Senior Member
 
staaled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
is that curtains track rail on the wall & ceiling?
Its aluminium scaffold tube and connectors.
I use it to lead cabling to the S8's.

To me it looks better than plastic cable trays.
staaled is offline  
post #34218 of 37459 Old 02-29-2016, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,328
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Just a question from you guys. I want to get atmos going in my theater, the problem is I cannot run or hide wires. Any wires will have to be exposed which is not a bad thing as I am usually the only one in there. What I want to know is, would I be able to use my existing fronts and rears that are mounted at the top of my wall as ceiling speakers? I mean I can leave them in place and then buy two new pair of S8's and use stands and run wires on the floor and tuck them away. So if anybody thinks this will work, I could either do a 5.4.2 where I could just add a pair of S8's on stands and leave the existing fronts and rears as my ceiling speakers or I could do a 7.2.2 where I could do a pair of S8's on stands, use the existing sides as ceiling speakers and then leave the rears as they were. I hope I am explaining this right as I am very tired, I have one open. Just some thoughts I had dancing around my head today. Thanks for any input here!

Here are my sides and rears now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000594.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1286801   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000597.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1286809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0836.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1286817  
wilfredent likes this.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #34219 of 37459 Old 02-29-2016, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,143
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
I think that's a good idea reef. They would be in a closelocation anyways.
Reefdvr27 likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is online now  
post #34220 of 37459 Old 03-01-2016, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,649
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Just a question from you guys. I want to get atmos going in my theater, the problem is I cannot run or hide wires. Any wires will have to be exposed which is not a bad thing as I am usually the only one in there. What I want to know is, would I be able to use my existing fronts and rears that are mounted at the top of my wall as ceiling speakers? I mean I can leave them in place and then buy two new pair of S8's and use stands and run wires on the floor and tuck them away. So if anybody thinks this will work, I could either do a 5.4.2 where I could just add a pair of S8's on stands and leave the existing fronts and rears as my ceiling speakers or I could do a 7.2.2 where I could do a pair of S8's on stands, use the existing sides as ceiling speakers and then leave the rears as they were. I hope I am explaining this right as I am very tired, I have one open. Just some thoughts I had dancing around my head today. Thanks for any input here!

Here are my sides and rears now!
Where to start ...

Your surround speakers are mounted in positions that would work if you had base channels below them (at ear height). If you added another pair of side surrounds (S8LP's) then the current speakers could be designated as Top Middle (or Top Front) and Top Back for a 5.2.4 config. You don't have enough space behind your seats for surround backs anyway so I would designate those as Top Rear or Rear Height and see how that sounds.

I'm lucky to have an attic space above my room that makes the 4 ceiling setup options very flexible.
Reefdvr27 likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #34221 of 37459 Old 03-01-2016, 10:12 AM
Senior Member
 
staaled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 85
To me and from what I gather on Dolby's Atmos setup guidelines
the surrounds and rears should be more or less on ear height
to fully benefit from the top layer speakers.

Yes you can mount ceiling S8's.
3D audio in itself is imo quite revolutionary since its the first format to add metadata on where objects/sound should be.
So you might not get the optimum , but my guess is you' ll still
get a major improvement in sound.
staaled is offline  
post #34222 of 37459 Old 03-01-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,328
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Thanks for the replies guys! I may have a couple of other options for in ceiling speakers. I have to go through my pictures before I hung the sheetrock. I might be able to pull this off!!
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #34223 of 37459 Old 03-01-2016, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Regarding Atmos speakers, has anyone installed Single 8's flush within the ceiling/attic? Not just back of the speaker against the ceiling?
cmryan821 is offline  
post #34224 of 37459 Old 03-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Point Source
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 12,249
Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 3106
Reef, the more channel separation you can do, the better. I started off adding the atmos in ceiling while keeping my bed channels in the corners aiming down. They were not far enough apart that the effect was mostly lost. Bring the sides down to ear height helped that out tremendously.
beastaudio is offline  
post #34225 of 37459 Old 03-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
Regarding Atmos speakers, has anyone installed Single 8's flush within the ceiling/attic? Not just back of the speaker against the ceiling?
I've talked to Jeff about a custom S8 that would be an attic mount with a near flush finish as I have a star mural on my ceiling. I was looking to have the woofer and port pushed out 5/8 inch so that would be flush with the Sheetrock and use the weight of the cabinet to just rest on top of the Sheetrock in the ceiling. I will go this route one day but haven't pulled the trigger (yet).

Last edited by 7channelfreak; 03-01-2016 at 06:53 PM.
7channelfreak is offline  
post #34226 of 37459 Old 03-02-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I've talked to Jeff about a custom S8 that would be an attic mount with a near flush finish as I have a star mural on my ceiling. I was looking to have the woofer and port pushed out 5/8 inch so that would be flush with the Sheetrock and use the weight of the cabinet to just rest on top of the Sheetrock in the ceiling. I will go this route one day but haven't pulled the trigger (yet).
That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. If I go down that I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you.
cmryan821 is offline  
post #34227 of 37459 Old 03-02-2016, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,328
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Reef, the more channel separation you can do, the better. I started off adding the atmos in ceiling while keeping my bed channels in the corners aiming down. They were not far enough apart that the effect was mostly lost. Bring the sides down to ear height helped that out tremendously.
I agree. I know your room sounded great. I also remember Andrews room at how good the surrounds sounded at ear height. I think I am going to go with a 7.4.2 set up or 9.4.2. I am going to do 4 over head, two sides and If they will work I will mount the rear SS8's to the front. Only problem is the 215RT's are so tall, they may not work above them. Going to have to look at it. I have some time off in April, so that is my target date for the renovation. I have to shoot you a PM to ask a question.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #34228 of 37459 Old 03-02-2016, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 3,395
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
I was able to get Dirac Live working with 16 channels of audio. This would work for someone wanting to use Dirac Live for their JTR Atmos system. The downside is that it costs more than two miniDSP DDRC-88A's, but it has the highest quality A/D and D/A conversion. I don't have the filter loaded in the screenshot below.



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirac Live.PNG
Views:	565
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1290489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirac Live VST.PNG
Views:	559
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1290497  
Gooddoc, rcohen, RMK! and 5 others like this.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter, Klein K10-A
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
desertdome is offline  
post #34229 of 37459 Old 03-02-2016, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,649
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I was able to get Dirac Live working with 16 channels of audio. This would work for someone wanting to use Dirac Live for their JTR Atmos system. The downside is that it costs more than two miniDSP DDRC-88A's, but it has the highest quality A/D and D/A conversion. I don't have the filter loaded in the screenshot below.



That is very cool Michael. Looking forward to more details.

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #34230 of 37459 Old 03-02-2016, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,170
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I was able to get Dirac Live working with 16 channels of audio. This would work for someone wanting to use Dirac Live for their JTR Atmos system. The downside is that it costs more than two miniDSP DDRC-88A's, but it has the highest quality A/D and D/A conversion. I don't have the filter loaded in the screenshot below.
Cool!
Do you have a JRiver Atmos decoder, or are you using an external processor?
HTPCat likes this.
rcohen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off