Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1168 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7124Likes

Old 05-27-2016, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 348 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked: 2112
N8dogg. I enjoyed the star wars soundtrack quite a bit. The bass in the Kylo Ren interrogation scenes was really cool. I run my sub banks only 3 to about 4.5 dB hot these days though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2016, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
No arguments there dood, but that wasn't the charge. JTR is on top of my list for sheer dynamic and clean output, but imaging I have to say they can't beat the danleys. I'll get some 215's at some point in my space and decide for myself though. Perhaps for the next g2g
As Brandon knows, I agree with this ^. That was one of the +'s in the SH 50's column when comparing to the 212's (now HTR's). Imaging was so holographic/3D/however you would describe it with the Danley's. Best I've heard with 2 channel stereo when it comes to imaging. In the end the sound signature of the 212's were more to my liking, especially on heavy music.

I will say though... Derek's (Stoked) setup with the 228's is incredible for 2 channel music especially when it comes to the wrap around effect. You would swear that there is an upmixer applied or something... The effect is stronger than I get in my room and is what I've heard Beast describe how 2 channel does in his room. It's pretty cool to feel immersed in the music with only 2 speakers playing. I get that effect too, but not quite as much as you guys.

So Beast, did you do a comparison with the 4722's? What did you think?

In order I'd take the JTR's, then the SH50's and then the 4722's but that's not to say wasn't really impressed with the JBL's especially for how cheap they are.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:52 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3000 Post(s)
Liked: 2433
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
That big a$$ horn on the 50's casts a wide net.
50 whole degrees of it Wouldn't exactly call that a wide net tho. It's a little deceptive actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
As Brandon knows, I agree with this ^. That was one of the +'s in the SH 50's column when comparing to the 212's (now HTR's). Imaging was so holographic/3D/however you would describe it with the Danley's. Best I've heard with 2 channel stereo when it comes to imaging. In the end the sound signature of the 212's were more to my liking, especially on heavy music.

I will say though... Derek's (Stoked) setup with the 228's is incredible for 2 channel music especially when it comes to the wrap around effect. You would swear that there is an upmixer applied or something... The effect is stronger than I get in my room and is what I've heard Beast describe how 2 channel does in his room. It's pretty cool to feel immersed in the music with only 2 speakers playing. I get that effect too, but not quite as much as you guys.

So Beast, did you do a comparison with the 4722's? What did you think?

In order I'd take the JTR's, then the SH50's and then the 4722's but that's not to say wasn't really impressed with the JBL's especially for how cheap they are.
I wonder if the 2453H-SL upgrade on the 4722 would change your mind any on that lineup. I should have some up and running here in the next couple weeks so I will get to hear them myself
Old 05-31-2016, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Yeah, I've wondered that too. That upgrade is getting rave reviews, let me know what you think.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
N8dogg. I enjoyed the star wars soundtrack quite a bit. The bass in the Kylo Ren interrogation scenes was really cool. I run my sub banks only 3 to about 4.5 dB hot these days though.
The bass was fine, it was the mix I didn't like. I actually threw it in tonight to see if it was just listener fatigue last time but I still didn't like the mix lol.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 06-01-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
50 whole degrees of it Wouldn't exactly call that a wide net tho. It's a little deceptive actually.
With two 12"'s, four 5" mids and a 1 inch BMS CD all crammed (strategically placed) into that horn ... yeah, I'd say there is a little more going on than you'd find in a conventional Horn/CD based speaker. It's the Danley secret sauce ... with the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:56 AM
Point Source

Quote:
With two 12"'s, four 5" mids and a 1 inch BMS CD all crammed (strategically placed) into that horn ... yeah, I'd say there is a little more going on than you'd find in a conventional Horn/CD based speaker. It's the Danley secret sauce ... with the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts.
Of course! I was just pointing out though, that even with all that going on, it's still only a 50* horn, which is a pretty narrow coverage all things considered.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 926
I guess you need the SH60's.....

Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html[/B]
Old 06-03-2016, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Of course! I was just pointing out though, that even with all that going on, it's still only a 50* horn, which is a pretty narrow coverage all things considered.
Well when you take into consideration their intended use in large venues with listeners +/- 100' away the relatively narrow dispersion pattern is moot.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:05 AM
Point Source

Quote:
Well when you take into consideration their intended use in large venues with listeners +/- 100' away the relatively narrow dispersion pattern is moot.
"Intended use" Ba harmy, Haha. I "Intend" to use them for my personal listening pleasure this evening when I get home! It was funny, I met with the owner of Danley's build house yesterday.He's the one that builds out every danley speaker that is sold, for commercial OR residential. He was having a hard time computing the fact that I have sh50's and more specifically an SH69 for a center channel, in a domestic setting. He also couldn't really understand 10 18's either but cmon! Haha.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"Intended use" Ba harmy, Haha. I "Intend" to use them for my personal listening pleasure this evening when I get home! It was funny, I met with the owner of Danley's build house yesterday.He's the one that builds out every danley speaker that is sold, for commercial OR residential. He was having a hard time computing the fact that I have sh50's and more specifically an SH69 for a center channel, in a domestic setting. He also couldn't really understand 10 18's either but cmon! Haha.
Always pushing the envelop there Beasty Boy ...

I'm sure there is some nut job with SH50's in his living room ... Actually, that nut job is probably the D man himself.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Will they do custom one off jobs? Not a Danley design, but a design the buyer provides?

Link?
Old 06-03-2016, 12:34 PM
Point Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post
Will they do custom one off jobs? Not a Danley design, but a design the buyer provides?

Link?
Nope, you have to basically do full production runs or whole speaker lines for them to bite. I mean This is a state of the art 13,000 sqft. facility we are talking about here
Old 06-03-2016, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Just before I bought my 215's, I had checked out a set of SH50's x 3 in some older guys living room. One was making a buzzing noise and he wanted to get rid of them... BUT I couldn't fit them in my room with my current screen and the rattle turned out to be a wire on one of the cones, so he happily kept them..... He still has them to this day and I get first crack at buying them if he decided to sell again.... but you have to laugh at the fact it made the slightest noise and he was ready to unload them instantly lol. He was in his late 60's and his sub was an earthquake supernova that was down right awful LOL... So I built him a UXL 18 and at ED1300 amp and he was one happy camper.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Just before I bought my 215's, I had checked out a set of SH50's x 3 in some older guys living room. One was making a buzzing noise and he wanted to get rid of them... BUT I couldn't fit them in my room with my current screen and the rattle turned out to be a wire on one of the cones, so he happily kept them..... He still has them to this day and I get first crack at buying them if he decided to sell again.... but you have to laugh at the fact it made the slightest noise and he was ready to unload them instantly lol. He was in his late 60's and his sub was an earthquake supernova that was down right awful LOL... So I built him a UXL 18 and at ED1300 amp and he was one happy camper.
Yeah, the older you get the more intolerant . I had the same can't fit them in the room issue with the SH50's but the main problem was the depth of em not fitting behind my AT screen. Well that and the fact that after an audition where two friends left the room due to discomfort from the HF, I was a little put off. I'm sure it was an EQ issue as the audition room was untreated.

Like any good quality high efficiency design, the SH50's need some setup to sound their best. Once you are there, moves to other products are mostly lateral. As has been said many times, the 215RT's advantage is when run full range. No commercial speaker anywhere near it's price point can hang with it when run full range.
rhed and DRC3 like this.

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 06-04-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Has anyone used the Crown amps (xls or xti) in bridged mode with jtr speakers?

I read somewhere that bridged does not sound very good. Stereo is better for crown amps.

Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Marantz 8802A | Emotiva XPA-2/5 | JTR Noesis 210RM (C) | JTR 210RT (LR) | JTR Single 8HT-LP (Surrounds) | JTR Single 8HT (Surround Backs) | Deftech Procinema 1000 (ATMOS) | Seaton Submersive HPi+/Slave Subwoofers
Old 06-05-2016, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash23 View Post

I read somewhere that bridged does not sound very good. Stereo is better for crown amps.
Not on JTR speakers ,but passive JTR Captivators.
I havent compared them to other amps but to my ears (and many who have visited and listened) SQ they perform without issues.
nash23 likes this.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staaled View Post
Not on JTR speakers ,but passive JTR Captivators.
I havent compared them to other amps but to my ears (and many who have visited and listened) SQ they perform without issues.

Plan on picking up a pair XLS 2502 for LCR or 3 for LCR. SO hoping to get advice from someone who has used it with speakers.
Stoked21 likes this.

Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Marantz 8802A | Emotiva XPA-2/5 | JTR Noesis 210RM (C) | JTR 210RT (LR) | JTR Single 8HT-LP (Surrounds) | JTR Single 8HT (Surround Backs) | Deftech Procinema 1000 (ATMOS) | Seaton Submersive HPi+/Slave Subwoofers
Old 06-05-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 412
I wished there was a Danley dealer here that I could hear some demo. Before the 215's, I was so interested in the SM60F. Especially with the rave reviews here after a gtg. I was just gonna do a blind buy. I was also interested in a particular tapped horn (THSpud). Didn't get a response from them after two emails and no call back after leaving message. Well my guess is that they probably don't ship out over seas. Probably why they didn't bother. Being that said, no regrets here with my JTR's..
Old 06-05-2016, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:
Plan on picking up a pair XLS 2502 for LCR or 3 for LCR. SO hoping to get advice from someone who has used it with speakers.
I use the old line. Lower wattage. Xls1500. Love them. Dead quiet fan. Low current draw. Light weight and run cool. Run 9 on a single 15a breaker plus everything else. I bridge them for lcr but not for surround/Atmos. Pro amps obviously add some hiss but you get used to that and inaudible during usage.

Edit: bridge vs stereo....no sound difference. Just more headroom. Run gains lower that way and equal hiss with high sens speakers.
nash23 likes this.

Rack (7.2.4 20,000W): Marantz AV7702mk2, Crown XLS1500 (9), iNuke3000DSP, miniDSP DDRC-88A (2), miniDSP 2x4 balanced, Samsung UHD HDR: UBD-K8500, Panamax M5400-PM, AppleTV Gen4
LCR: JTR 228HT (3) Surrounds: JTR S8 & S8LP (4) Atmos: JTR Slant8LP (4), RBH IC (2) Subs: JTR Captivator 1400 (2), Dayton UM18-22 NF PJ: JVC RS400 Screen: Seymour UF 130"W 2.35 Misc: SimpleControl, Philips Hue(15 light), Echo Control, Synology DS216play
STOKED Home Theater Build
Old 06-05-2016, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

I use 5 xls 1500 (old model) all bridged mono for my 3 x 212 ht (original model) LCR and 2 x S8s for surrounds. No difference in mono vs stereo except more power. I have had many different amps, emotiva, carver, cinepro, sunfire, outlaw they all sounded the same.
nash23 and Stoked21 like this.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
Old 06-05-2016, 06:06 PM

Thanks Stoked21 and HTPCat.

Will get it in the next few days and test it out.
Stoked21 likes this.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
They can only be used on 8 Ohm loads in bridge mode.

Edit 06-07-2016 : my info was incorrect. Its 4 Ohm and up.

SQ wise my guess is they will perform fine.
nash23 likes this.

Last edited by staaled; 06-07-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Nothing but good things to say about my crown amps. I recently sold off my inukes. Had a inuke 3000 dsp for my center (210rm) bridged and a inuke 6k dsp for my mains (215RM's)

Switched out the nuke 3k for a crown cdi 1000 running it in bridged configuration. bought it on eBay for practically pennies. It has a dead quiet fan that will not turn on at reference volume. I did swap out the fans on the inuke to battle the constant fan noise, you can't beat the fact that the crown amps will not run the fans unless it reaches its threshold (129 degrees). The dsp in the Cdi and Xti hands down blows the inukes out of the water.

The xti 4002 replaces my inuke 6k dsp same thing great amp, Ive had the fan turn on 3 times but that was playing music at 7db over reference for an extended period of time and I have some heavy gain applied down low as I run my 215RMs full range for music with no subs.

I like the lower noise floor the crown amps have over the inukes, the slight hiss is no longer auditable from my listening position like before.

I swear the crown amps have a more detailed sound to them. One could say they sound more analytical than the inukes.

Great amps can't say enough good things about them. I didn't buy xls series due to the fact that you have no parametric eq for shelf filters and or bar eq.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
nash23 and Stoked21 like this.

Sony 940c 75" Display, Marantz AV8801, HTPC, JTR 215RM Mains & JTR 210RM Center, DIY Surrounds, Crown Xti & Cdi Amps, Seaton Submersive HP+ Master and Slave.

Last edited by Chriscorv58; 06-06-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Note that all Crown amps have a 48 kHz internal AD/DA conversion step. Crown recommends only doing one 48 kHz AD/DA conversions step in the signal chain. Those using Dirac 88A's with Crown amps are currently doing two 48 kHz AD/DA conversion steps. Add in the DSP in a subwoofer and one is up to three. This is fairly transparent, but there is the opportunity for increased noise/hiss.

Several pro audio setups I've used have done 4 conversion steps:
1. Wireless mic
2. Mixer board
3. External DSP
4. Crown amps
dwaleke likes this.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
Old 06-06-2016, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Note that all Crown amps have a 48 kHz internal AD/DA conversion step. Crown recommends only doing one 48 kHz AD/DA conversions step in the signal chain. Those using Dirac 88A's with Crown amps are currently doing two 48 kHz AD/DA conversion steps. Add in the DSP in a subwoofer and one is up to three. This is fairly transparent, but there is the opportunity for increased noise/hiss.

Several pro audio setups I've used have done 4 conversion steps:
1. Wireless mic
2. Mixer board
3. External DSP
4. Crown amps
Not all. The ITech 5000HD does 96kHz. Not sure of the others. just an FYI.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Not all. The ITech 5000HD does 96kHz. Not sure of the others. just an FYI.
It looks like it is at 192kHz.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
Old 06-06-2016, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
It looks like it is at 192kHz.
Yes, technically. But the DSP is limited to 96kHz, so if using any filters you're not getting 192

Last edited by Gooddoc; 06-06-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staaled View Post
They can only be used on 8 Ohm loads in bridge mode.
SQ wise my guess is they will perform fine.
Hi Staaled.

Since JTRs are 4 ohm loads, they won't work?

Seems to be working fine for others.

I think the only way to know for sure is to test it in my setup.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
I wished there was a Danley dealer here that I could hear some demo. Before the 215's, I was so interested in the SM60F. Especially with the rave reviews here after a gtg. I was just gonna do a blind buy. I was also interested in a particular tapped horn (THSpud). Didn't get a response from them after two emails and no call back after leaving message. Well my guess is that they probably don't ship out over seas. Probably why they didn't bother. Being that said, no regrets here with my JTR's..
When I was looking at the SH50's, I left 4 emails, 2 phone call messages and 2 messages on Facebook over a 3 week period and they didn't respond to 1 of any of them.... I was trying to find a dealer in Canada or North Dakota but they didn't even answer me once..... pretty awful Customer service on that side of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis