Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1179 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6978Likes
post #35341 of 35357 Unread Yesterday, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
You're not far from me, shoot me a message and we can chat a bit further. The guys here will want to know: Budget, plans for sub(s), WAF requirements?
And apparently I can send or receive pm's yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35342 of 35357 Unread Yesterday, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT671 View Post
And apparently I can send or receive pm's yet.
Quote:
Hey guys,
Long time reader of the thread, 1st time posting. I bought my 1st house last November and started building my 1st HT this spring. I'm looking to see what advice you guys can give on speaker selection. Room is 23' wide, 24' deep, 7'3" ceiling, but with the width I have to be offset from the center because of my bar. My thinking as of now is this...I plan to do some improvements to the house and then sell it in a year and half or 2 years and then build another house with a dedicated, built from scratch theater in it. So I'm looking for a set of speakers I can use now that are decent and that later on I can then use as the basis for a larger system in the new house down the road. Use is about 95% HT with a little music thrown in during parties etc. It's in a walk out basement that's concrete on 3 sides (front, right, and rear). Currently running a Denon avr-s910w but getting ready to pick up a Marantz 7702mkII. Still working on figuring what amps to use. I'm in southeast Pa right on the Maryland border if anyone would mind letting me have a listen to their system and pick their brains.
I'm about 5 minutes away from Gorilla83 so if you are doing a listening tour you are more than welcome to stop by and check out my JTR's as well.
post #35343 of 35357 Unread Yesterday, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I really appreciate it Gorrila83 and SeaNile. So far I'm really liking everything I'm reading and seeing about JTR speakers and I'd really like to be able to hear some and get your guys 1st hand impressions.
post #35344 of 35357 Unread Yesterday, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Wife has a wedding this weekend with her sisters and I bailed out of it to get some stuff done and get some theater time in this weekend. I have to say I am a fan of the Dave Matthews Band and picked up a copy of the Dave and Tim Reynolds at Radio City blu a long time ago (Everybody has the disc) I was never really a fan of it as I love the band as a whole, the drums and horns etc.. But I sat and watched the whole thing tonight and now I love it! Ran the 215's full range and man what an incredible time it was, just beautiful. So if you don't have it and you have you some JTR's, pick it up.

Star Trek Beyond tomorrow. Dunt dun dun dun dunt dun de dun dunt de dun. LOL, I am not board or anything tonight
I have the poor mans JTR's, Triple 12's and I had never heard of Tim Reynolds and like you I was blown away. I prefer hard rock usually, {Ive burnt a hole Tool's 42 and 6 track) but that guys amazing to say the least.

If you didnt know Kiss Blu drops Aug 26
post #35345 of 35357 Unread Yesterday, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Haven't listened to my system in 10 days as we have been in and out of town. Currently at my wife's sisters house and they wanted to have a movie night. Watching Zootopia. They have a 5.1 klipsch setup, small speakers and a 10 inch sub with Yamaha receiver which would be fine, however it isn't setup right. They have it running in 6 channel stereo for the movie and the sub is 20db hot (very boomy). My wife noticed but told me not so say anything. I think I should let them know they are using it incorrectly but don't want to come off as a snob. It is painful to listen to, and I know with 10 minutes of tweaking I can make it sound so much better......
jjackkrash likes this.
post #35346 of 35357 Unread Yesterday, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Haven't listened to my system in 10 days as we have been in and out of town. Currently at my wife's sisters house and they wanted to have a movie night. Watching Zootopia. They have a 5.1 klipsch setup, small speakers and a 10 inch sub with Yamaha receiver which would be fine, however it isn't setup right. They have it running in 6 channel stereo for the movie and the sub is 20db hot (very boomy). My wife noticed but told me not so say anything. I think I should let them know they are using it incorrectly but don't want to come off as a snob. It is painful to listen to, and I know with 10 minutes of tweaking I can make it sound so much better......
I think you should offer to set it up correctly.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
post #35347 of 35357 Unread Yesterday, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
I think you should offer to set it up correctly.
Then he'll be blamed for ruining their "awesome bass". Smile, tell them how awesome everything is, then go home and enjoy your own system.

His wife is wise.
post #35348 of 35357 Unread Yesterday, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Then he'll be blamed for ruining their "awesome bass". Smile, tell them how awesome everything is, then go home and enjoy your own system.

His wife is wise.
I ended up not saying anything (and not watching the movie - couldn't take it 😀)

Can't wait to listen to my system - I miss it!!!!

They wanted to watch something we hadn't seen yet but luckily they chose Zootopia which we had already seen.
Gooddoc likes this.
post #35349 of 35357 Unread Yesterday, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
No WAF to deal with. Subs, I have a pair of SVS pb13-ultra right now. Definitely wanna go more. Looking at the 4000ULF and drooling. Budget? That's the question. As of right now it's not too high, I'm in no real rush as I want to do this right and I have a serviceable theater as is. Like I was saying in the earlier post, the idea I have floating around in my head is for something relatively small, and yes I know this is kind of the wrong thread to use that term, that I can build off of later. Once I finalize when and how I'm gonna build my next house, I'm planning to put as much of the cost of the theater as I can into the cost of the build.
Priority movies - 228HTR
Movies/music/wall of sound - 212HTR pair with 228 center...or LCR if budget allows.
Movies and dedicated 2-channel music so you don't have to run subs option - pair of 210RT & a 228 center.

For your room, start with a solid 5.1 setup: one of the above LCR configs, two slanted 8s, and a Cap 1400. This will get you 99% there...last 1% is more surrounds and ridiculously more bass.

And when you move into a larger room, just add another Cap 1400 then or move up to a 4000.
post #35350 of 35357 Unread Yesterday, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 400
I'm listening to some MBLs on YouTube on my JTRs...the MBLs sound awesome
post #35351 of 35357 Unread Yesterday, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Ha, I have no problems switching up anyone's system if it sounds like crap. Just make the change and ask if they like it better or worse. Then if they say worse, pretend to change it back lol.
I was once at a party for one of my wifes partners at her clinic, he had a very nice totem setup with sim audio electronics. It was setup completely wrong, all the channels were done by ear etc. Just awful. With 20 people sitting I'm the basement, i went through the menus and changed just about everything lol he watched me do it amd I said I could change it all back. He took a vote amd the decision was to not let Jason ever touch the remote again lol.
I actually went back 2 days later withy omnimic and set it up properly. Now I have to go setup everyone's whenever anyone gets anything new lol though I actually enjoy it.
HTPCat likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #35352 of 35357 Unread Yesterday, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 133
It's been over a month since I listened to my system. I should make it a point to get down there tomorrow and give it a listen.
post #35353 of 35357 Unread Today, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
I ended up not saying anything (and not watching the movie - couldn't take it 😀)

Can't wait to listen to my system - I miss it!!!!

They wanted to watch something we hadn't seen yet but luckily they chose Zootopia which we had already seen.
Yeah, the average surround sound system is a joke but I find the experience so different that I don't mind watching something in a pinch (like a 15 hour plane flight) knowing that it will be a very different at home. Even watching a film in a commercial theater (save a true IMAX) doesn't cut it anymore but the occasional transgression to a more "normal" movie viewing experience gives me a greater appreciation of what I have at home.
Gooddoc and DRC3 like this.

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; Today at 01:41 AM.
post #35354 of 35357 Unread Today, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
I have the poor mans JTR's, Triple 12's and I had never heard of Tim Reynolds and like you I was blown away. I prefer hard rock usually, {Ive burnt a hole Tool's 42 and 6 track) but that guys amazing to say the least.

If you didnt know Kiss Blu drops Aug 26
Poor Tim Reynolds. I think Dave brought him from out of the shadows to give him some recognition. He is a very underrated lead guitarist. On the flip side, he is a multimillionaire, so old Tim is doing just fine!
post #35355 of 35357 Unread Today, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
It's been over a month since I listened to my system. I should make it a point to get down there tomorrow and give it a listen.
This was the same reason I decided to start upgrading the living room setup. With the kids running around most of the time in the kitchen/living area, it's much easier just to listen upstairs and discovered that we weren't using the theater as much as we'd like to. If we can start getting them to bed earlier perhaps we can resume our theater habit again soon.
post #35356 of 35357 Unread Today, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
This was the same reason I decided to start upgrading the living room setup. With the kids running around most of the time in the kitchen/living area, it's much easier just to listen upstairs and discovered that we weren't using the theater as much as we'd like to. If we can start getting them to bed earlier perhaps we can resume our theater habit again soon.
Good luck! Now that my daughter is 12 we are getting a lot more time down in the theater. Next house I really want a main floor theater for more access. It's always a bit of effort to head to the basement (obviously more psychological than physical).

I bet the JTR's sound great in your space.

Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html[/B]
post #35357 of 35357 Unread Today, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Good luck! Now that my daughter is 12 we are getting a lot more time down in the theater. Next house I really want a main floor theater for more access. It's always a bit of effort to head to the basement (obviously more psychological than physical).

I bet the JTR's sound great in your space.
They do sound very good - especially being in a large, untreated room. Got them dialed in now w/ Audyssey and tweaking a few other standard settings. I could spend some time w/ sub integration but they are good enough for now until I get another hour or so alone to do some more tweaking.

I guess I'll just have to wait until Dave upgrades his 215s for the next swap out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis