Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1180 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6987Likes

post #35371 of 35380 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Does anyone know what post has Jeff's schematic of running the sub outs into an amp to rout LFE to the 215RT's to have control of the LFE channel?
I was just digging around for this myself... start reading on page 1017...

Official JTR speaker thread

^Jeff's first comment on this.

...and aha, found the actual schematic: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...2&d=1438795499

from post: Official JTR speaker thread

Last edited by Ryansboston; Yesterday at 01:20 PM. Reason: correcting link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35372 of 35380 Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
Point Source

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2959 Post(s)
Liked: 2386
Try again, link doesn't work.
post #35373 of 35380 Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Quote:
Does anyone know what post has Jeff's schematic of running the sub outs into an amp to rout LFE to the 215RT's to have control of the LFE channel?
You can start reading at post 30507 although I'm not sure if that's the info you are looking for.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
post #35374 of 35380 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
You can start reading at post 30507 although I'm not sure if that's the info you are looking for.
Thanks

I thought Jeff listed something more recently (within last 3-4 months). I don't remember it being that schematic but it may have been

I have a minidsp 10x10 that I am only using 2 channels on for my sub. I bought additional cables to run my LCR 215RT's through it to put the correct high pass on them. I am pretty sure I can use the software for the 10x10 to route the bass from the LFE channels into the 215's. I would only want to do this while listening to 2 channel music. Not sure how well that would work, especially if I ran Audyssey with my subs engaged but then playing the LFE through the 215's????
post #35375 of 35380 Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
Now I remember why I never tried it. I only have a single sub out on my AVR.
post #35376 of 35380 Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Now I remember why I never tried it. I only have a single sub out on my AVR.
Couldn't you use a splitter?
post #35377 of 35380 Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Couldn't you use a splitter?
I guess I could, but then frequencies up to 120 would be mono and I assume that isn't ideal? Hmmm wait... it's the LFE signal so it's not a stereo signal anyway right? Yes I believe you are right. Hmmm something else fun to mess with!
post #35378 of 35380 Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
No "Y" adapted needed. I meant the the signal in that RCA is a combination of the mains and subs.
On the other hand...
post #35379 of 35380 Old Today, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Copying from other thread as other JTR owners may be interested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post
How do you like the minidsp 88bm in as much as how much difference did the Dirac live make in the SQ? Also, how much bass boost can you get with it? As much as the inuke's? i am looking at the nanoAVR-DL so it's all done digitally. I want to order something soon to boost the bass on everything (215RT mains/215RM/210RT surrounds).
210RTs for surround??! That is one hell of a set up you got going there! I have also been interested in getting a nanoAVR-DL. It seem like the 88a is much more popular but I intend to stick with running my RA CX-8 surrounds off my receiver, so I wouldn't be able to benefit from the Dirac room correction on my surrounds if I picked up the 88a... plus the nanoAVR-DL is cheaper to boot.

Quote:
My preference for implementation with three 215RT's is to use bass management to combine the redirected bass with the LFE from 120 Hz and below. Then recombine this signal with the respective L, C, R channels. This makes sure all the bass is in proper level to each other. It utilizes the three 215RT's as true subs in that all three are producing bass. A good example of when this is necessary is in the movie Edge of Tomorrow. The beginning deep bass is only in the center and LFE channel. By using bass management, one would usually route this to two or more subs. With the 215RT's one would be able to route the center bass to the other two speakers to have the advantages I listed above.

If I was implementing the system, I would use a MOTU Ultralite AVB with the Marantz. The MOTU has balanced input and outputs with the required routing, mixing, high pass filter, and EQ. You can also easily control the redirected bass level separately using a phone or tablet. I would leave Audyssey off.

In the Marantz I would set the LCR to small and use a 120 Hz crossover. In the MOTU you route the LCR and Sub to Aux 1-4. I renamed these Left Input, Right Input, Ctr Input and Subwoofer Input. I also renamed the Analog outs to Left Output, etc.

In the mixing tab you route Left Input to the Left Output, Right Input to the Right Output, and Ctr Input to the Ctr Input. You then route the Subwoofer Input to each of the outputs. The level of Aux 4/Subwoofer can be controlled by itself for proper level matching.
Thanks for this information desertdome. This sounds like the proper way to get LFE to the 215s.

Quote:
Audyssey can't be relied upon for crossover, distance settings, and EQ. It just can't take all the factors into account that result in a good system calibration. Manual PEQ will nearly always be better. The exception is when I use Audiolense, but I still don't do any correction above around 500 Hz. You shouldn't have a handful to deal with. It only takes a few minutes to get the settings right for surrounds. The main issue is bass integration. If you check out the Rob Hahn theater build, which uses a Trinnov Altitude, you will see that even there Keith Yates utilized 12 Lake LM-44 DSP units to provide the proper PEQ for all channels.

If you wanted to, instead of the MOTU Ultralite AVB, you can use a MOTU 16a (16 inputs/outputs) and run all channels through it. This lets one do some additional EQ to speakers if necessary. I'm using a MOTU 1248 (8 analog inputs/12 analog outputs) with a Yamaha CX-A5100 for a theater I'm working on. I use two sets of snake cables from ProAudioLA for the connections.
I don't trust my ability to set a proper manual PEQ for each channel. So instead of a MOTU 16a, would a good option be to use a nanoAVR-DL in conjunction with the MOTU Ultralite AVB? I know some of the features and abilities would be redundant, but the way I see it, this is how it would work in summary:

First get the MOTU configured and set up properly.
1. The MOTU Ultralite AVB is getting the LFE channel and mixing it properly with the LFE under 120Hz of the LCR channels, which is then:
A) output to AUX 4 in your example- which for me would be 1 Cap S1
B) then mixed with the signal inputs from the LCR channels to output AUX 1, 2, 3, to the amplifier inputs for LCR so that LCR is outputting a proper mix of the individual channel and LFE, and thus helping to smooth out the bass response

Then integrate the nano-AVR-DL:
2. The nanoAVR-DL will optimize the overall sound after taking measurements with a UMIK-1 and generating correction filters.
-Follow up by tweaking and experimenting with different curves to come up with the in-room response I like.

From reading up on the MiniDSP website, the nano-AVR DL does not have the bass management capabilities (specifically the re-routing of the LFE/Mixing with LCR etc.) you describe on the Moto unit, hence the need for both. Obviously I'd love to save some $$ and only get one additional device instead of two.. @desertdome , @carp am I missing something here, or do I "need" both devices to get the Routing/mixing capabilities from the Motu and the "easier to use" Dirac Room Correction abilities from the nanoavr dl?

As background, I am running 2014 JTR 215RT for L/R and 215RM for C, RA CX-8 x 4 for surrounds, a single 2014? Cap S1, 2 Crowson Transducers in a 24x17x8 non-dedicated room. Using a Denon 4311 ci and Crowson XTI 2002 for L/R and DSI 4000 for center. (One of the channels on the DSI is bad so I am likely getting another XTI 2002 to replace it.) I have a minidsp 2x4, Umik, and REW to play with as well.

Since I had multiple submersives spread out before and have very recently "cut down" to one S1, I am trying to make up for it by having the bass from the 215s contribute to smoothing out the low end response and adding to the "fun" for movies..

Last edited by Ryansboston; Today at 08:53 AM.
post #35380 of 35380 Old Today, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis