Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1189 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7162Likes

post #35641 of 35651 Old 08-22-2016, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Well, that's very specific to the room. I get much more output from 4 corner placement, similar to the Harman paper. 4 subs gives you the option to stack in 2 groups, or you can use 4 corner placement. Assuming that 1xS2 = 2xS1(stacked), then 4xS1 >= 2xS2, depending on room and placement, but 4xS1 shouldn't be less than 2xS2, with the same placement.

That said, 2xS2 is also a good choice.
Hmm, so I can fit a couple of subs up the front behind the false wall, and I could definitely get one more behind seats at back of room, potentially 2. I think I might start with 2xS1's and see how they go, with the ability to upgrade to 3 or 4 down the track if the need arises (so to speak )
HTPCat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35642 of 35651 Old 08-22-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
If your on concrete, I'd go dual 4000 ULF, which is pretty much a Orbit Shifter/S2 hybrid. Corner load those bastards, and be done once and for all.. Really...
Suspended floor for me thankfully!!
rhed likes this.
post #35643 of 35651 Old Yesterday, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott27 View Post
Suspended floor for me thankfully!!
Ah nice! All the fun factors of being on a suspended floor.. Definately go sealed. Dual S2 if you can fit those.
post #35644 of 35651 Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Hmm, so I can fit a couple of subs up the front behind the false wall, and I could definitely get one more behind seats at back of room, potentially 2. I think I might start with 2xS1's and see how they go, with the ability to upgrade to 3 or 4 down the track if the need arises (so to speak )
If it's a closed rectangular room, the free REW Room Simulator can give a pretty good estimate of frequency response with different quantities and sub&listener locations. Check the time alignment box. If you plan to use EQ, the main goal is to minimize nulls in the listening area. Without EQ, the goal is for the flattest natural frequency response in the listening area.

Here are a few layouts that I have found work best for minimizing nulls):
1) 4 subs in the corners (most output, good seat to seat consistency)
2) 4 subs on 1/4 3/4 positions on the front and back walls (best natural response, less output, good seat to seat consistency)
3) 2 subs wall centers on opposite sides of the room's longer axis (best natural response, less output, good seat to seat consistency)
4) 2 subs in opposite corners (more output than #3 , can EQ for good sound in 1 set, poor seat to seat consistency)
5) 1 nearfield sub (less predictable, but best way to get good results with 1 sub)

3 subs can be tricky, since you can't place them symmetrically. If you are against the back wall, it might work to have 1 behind you and 2 in front, since you would need less output so close. It's hard to get good frequency response when you sit close to a wall, though.

In general, I've gotten best results with #1 and #3 .
With 4 subs, you also have the option of placing them in pairs for the same results as #3 .
I got better results with #1 , but YMMV.

If you need room for the center speaker, one good option is to place 2xS1s on either side of the center speaker, and 1xS2 in back, for what is effectively layout #3. You can experiment with this kind of stuff in REW.
You can also place speakers on top of subs, if that gives you the right height.

For the S1s and S2s, overall, I'd suggest one of these, depending on placement practicalities:
1) 4xS1s in corners.
2) 2xS2s on the center walls of the long axis.

You can also do 2xS1 on the center walls of the long axis, although with less output. That might be enough, depending on your requirements.

Last edited by rcohen; Yesterday at 06:26 AM.
post #35645 of 35651 Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked: 1288
Quote:
I think that is a well reasoned choice. I have had 4 subs in the room distributed in the 4 room corners and other variations of quad sub placement and frankly there were several locations that worked well bass wise. I have also had dual subs up front behind the screen with excellent results.

This is all room/LP dependent and the math is quite complex (for me ) so trial and error by listening and measuring was my methodology. I am running the JTR full range 215RT's and so the six 15"'s are up front behind an AT screen and it sounds perfect ... to me.
rhed likes this.

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; Yesterday at 08:17 AM.
post #35646 of 35651 Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I think that is a well reasoned choice. I have had 4 subs in the room distributed in the 4 room corners and other variations of quad sub placement and frankly there were several locations that worked well bass wise. I have also had dual subs up front behind the screen with excellent results.

This is all room/LP dependent and the math is quite complex (for me ) so trial and error by listening and measuring was my methodology. I am running the JTR full range 215RT's and so the six 15"'s are up front behind an AT screen and it sounds perfect ... to me.
Wow! I would love to hear a set up like that one day!!
post #35647 of 35651 Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
If it's a closed rectangular room, the free REW Room Simulator can give a pretty good estimate of frequency response with different quantities and sub&listener locations. Check the time alignment box. If you plan to use EQ, the main goal is to minimize nulls in the listening area. Without EQ, the goal is for the flattest natural frequency response in the listening area.

Here are a few layouts that I have found work best for minimizing nulls):
1) 4 subs in the corners (most output, good seat to seat consistency)
2) 4 subs on 1/4 3/4 positions on the front and back walls (best natural response, less output, good seat to seat consistency)
3) 2 subs wall centers on opposite sides of the room's longer axis (best natural response, less output, good seat to seat consistency)
4) 2 subs in opposite corners (more output than #3 , can EQ for good sound in 1 set, poor seat to seat consistency)
5) 1 nearfield sub (less predictable, but best way to get good results with 1 sub)

3 subs can be tricky, since you can't place them symmetrically. If you are against the back wall, it might work to have 1 behind you and 2 in front, since you would need less output so close. It's hard to get good frequency response when you sit close to a wall, though.

In general, I've gotten best results with #1 and #3 .
With 4 subs, you also have the option of placing them in pairs for the same results as #3 .
I got better results with #1 , but YMMV.

If you need room for the center speaker, one good option is to place 2xS1s on either side of the center speaker, and 1xS2 in back, for what is effectively layout #3. You can experiment with this kind of stuff in REW.
You can also place speakers on top of subs, if that gives you the right height.

For the S1s and S2s, overall, I'd suggest one of these, depending on placement practicalities:
1) 4xS1s in corners.
2) 2xS2s on the center walls of the long axis.

You can also do 2xS1 on the center walls of the long axis, although with less output. That might be enough, depending on your requirements.

Thanks rcohen, thats very helpful. I have a window in the centre of the back wall unfortunately, so corner placement is likely to be the way to go for me. It sounds like starting with 2xS1's and then going to 4 if needed. Will check out REW simulation, I havent played around too much with that part of REW yet.
post #35648 of 35651 Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Thanks rcohen, thats very helpful. I have a window in the centre of the back wall unfortunately, so corner placement is likely to be the way to go for me. It sounds like starting with 2xS1's and then going to 4 if needed. Will check out REW simulation, I havent played around too much with that part of REW yet.
Sounds like a good plan. Hopefully that window won't rattle. With 2 subs and the center wall off limits, make sure to try opposite corner placement. It's hard to predict what will work well in your room, but opposite walls worked well in my room, so I can at least say give that a try. For me, that gave good output, peaks that could be fixed with EQs, an minimal null problems. It gave less seat to seat consistency, but I'm the only one who really notices.

Later, I ended up going with 4 subs. That was a much smaller difference than going from 1 to 2. A bit more output, but the primary gain was better seat to seat consistency for the opposite corner placement. Front/back center wall gave good seat to seat consistency with 2 subs, but the output was MUCH lower than corner placement, so the corners won overall.
post #35649 of 35651 Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Are there any Noesis owners in Southern California that might be willing to give me a demo? I've been reading this thread for years and I've been dying to hear these speakers. I was even considering flying out to one of the GTG's but I keep missing them!

"Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me" -Vizzini
post #35650 of 35651 Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBPM View Post
Are there any Noesis owners in Southern California that might be willing to give me a demo? I've been reading this thread for years and I've been dying to hear these speakers. I was even considering flying out to one of the GTG's but I keep missing them!
If you ever get up to Sacramento we might be able to arrange a coupe of demos.

PM if interested.

Opinions are not facts.
post #35651 of 35651 Old Today, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Haven't visited the JTR thread in a while and it's great comfort to see a lot of the same posters hanging here. Always loved everyone's way of thinking around here.

JBL Pro Cinema/Crown power/Sony SXRD
MANCHESTER UNITED!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis