AVS Forum banner

Official JTR speaker thread

3M views 44K replies 1K participants last post by  rcohen 
#1 ·

As more and more ppl buying these speakers, i thought that there should be a centralized thread to post pics, comments, setup.

Reactions: ronnlim and rizki96
#23,981 · (Edited)
A lot of users are recommending dual orbital shifters over the S2's. Curious as to why?

Once you can hit 120dB from 20hz to 120hz why would the orbital shifters be better?

I'm trying for 120dB from 5hz to 120hz... :confused:

I know I am on a concrete slab, but will eventually go for crowsons as well in the near future.
I haven't heard either but I think it has to do with output (edit: AND VALUE). Above 20Hz, the Orbit Shifter has SO MUCH MORE output than the S2 that a pair of OSs have tremendous output...I mean world-class output. To get the equivalent, you'd need a lot more S2s but you'd gain output below 20Hz, which I think is very important and you've also prioritized. One other important key and some may disagree but I've read several say that the S2 is cleaner (less distortion) than the OS and you can hear the difference. But if you have the OS in front of you, you can feel the wind...which admittedly sounds cool. :)

So if you're comparing a pair of OSs to a pair of S2s, the OSs will be much more impressive. If you can go for 4 S2s or similar, then you're talking significant output but you're spending a bunch more. As usual, so much comes down to money and value. :)

You might want to look back at the recent discussions comparing thoughts on 8 or 16 18" subwoofers to a pair of OSs. If you missed those, that discussion came up about 5-7 days ago.

#23,982 · (Edited)
Ahh yes I have that blu ray too after you recommended it. :)
The extended drum solo is worth the price of the disc. I bet it sound absolutely crushing on your setup. That was the drum sound I was looking for in the new Dream Theater blu ray...but alas no.

@SOWKC you raise a valid point. How many times will people go over 120 dB? A clean 120 is amazingly loud, but not as loud as a distorted 120. Multiple S2's would be very clean. If your after ULF that's the way to go in my mind.

#23,983 ·
A lot of users are recommending dual orbital shifters over the S2's. Curious as to why?

Once you can hit 120dB from 20hz to 120hz why would the orbital shifters be better?

I'm trying for 120dB from 5hz to 120hz... :confused:

I know I am on a concrete slab, but will eventually go for crowsons as well in the near future.
You should mosey (do Wisconsinites mosey?) on up to Lbrowns HT and hear the OS's.

They are the last sub anyone needs and 3 or 4 of them would be ... well epic isn't too strong of a description. You won't need Crowsons ever. :)

#23,985 ·
I've been to lbrowns a couple of times. Great setup. But we tried the Irene scene and nothing... I'm not sure I want to leave that off the table. His three OS's would destroy my planned 4 s2's in dB above 20hz, but again I don't need 140dB. Only need maybe 120dB.
Coach and I had been listening to the first scene of Transformers as one of our default test scenes during speaker testing between the 215s and Cat12s. Somewhere in there I threw a Linkwitz Transform on his 8 SI HT18s and we heard a new low frequency that we hadn't heard before. So I know what you mean about not hearing certain frequencies...I wouldn't want to miss anything, especially if I knew it was there.

I will say if you're worried about whether 4 S2s will take care of you, you could go DIY. A pair of HS24s or FTW21s with a myriad of HST18 or UXL-18s or similar around the room would take care of all your bass needs. :) Gorilla can flat pack you for the HS24s and DIY Sound Group has you covered for the 18s. Just a thought. :)

#23,986 ·
Talking about the M2 is fine to me. I am of course curious about hearing it even though I know it can't do what I need. It would still be cool to hear.

Speaking of room treatments they do make a huge difference and I in my perception a little more dead is good if you listen at higher levels. Been doing some music demo's where the bass is so tight and loud it slams you through the chest but at the same time you can still hear the simultaneous crispness in the cymbal hits. Outdoor concert comes to mind :)

#23,987 ·
SOWK- 3 x 215 Should be more than enough in 33 ft room Puzzled

So I placed an order from D-Sonic for their M3-4500-3

3 x 2000 Watts @ 4 Ohm

So hopefully, this will solve my power issue for my 3 JTR 215RT's
SOWK- I used this SPL calculator

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
punched in 95db 215 senstivity x 3 channels x 2000 watts Dsonic 4-ohm power lets say at 18 ft..
that = 121 dB at the listening position (thats crazy volume)

that calculator must not be accurate, because just a few hundred watts hits 85dB referernce at 18 ft???
mixing LFE to complex for the math

or real world mic says different...??

Vince

#23,989 ·
I've been to lbrowns a couple of times. Great setup. But we tried the Irene scene and nothing... I'm not sure I want to leave that off the table. His three OS's would destroy my planned 4 s2's in dB above 20hz, but again I don't need 140dB. Only need maybe 120dB.
Irene isn't here, but OZZfest is going on in my basement right now. If I don't have 140dB of bass and 130dB of mid highs then forget it might as well turn on the transistor radio :)

J/K of course I know the super low bass is important to many. SOWK if you get the 4S2's we will have the IMAX theater and Alpine Valley demos all covered for our state!

#23,992 ·
Ahhh....the great ULF debate. One just has to experience 120db @5hz on a concrete slab for themselves to realize how uneventful it is...

2-4 OS and Crowsons would give you tons more satisfaction IMHO.
I'm sure that's blasphemous in so many ways. I haven't heard Crowsons but the other transducers I felt weren't nearly as good as my 3 LMS-5400s rocking a wood subfloor. :) Of course I know not everyone has a wood subfloor. And I'm sure the Crowson's are special transducers...but still...no replacement for displacement. So take your statement back...take it back! :eek::D

#23,994 ·
What about this lovely spec?

Maximum Peak SPL 123dB SPL @ 8m

Seriously? I'm calling out some JTR fanboyism here. 123db @ 8 METERS. That's some ridiculous output. Me thinks people are dismissing something they don't know about...heck, I didn't know the JBL M2 had this type of output.

#23,995 ·
I'm sure that's blasphemous in so many ways. I haven't heard Crowsons but the other transducers I felt weren't nearly as good as my 3 LMS-5400s rocking a wood subfloor. :) Of course I know not everyone has a wood subfloor. And I'm sure the Crowson's are special transducers...but still...no replacement for displacement. So take your statement back...take it back! :eek::D
Yea.. Who needs Crowsons when the HT is on the second level on TJI joist and 1-1/8" wood panel. You definitely feel 5hz. But it might be doing damage to the walls without knowing what. And everything else since its shakes the whole house. Picture frames, and 500$ canvas landscape photos falls off the walls next room over. Um, recess light housing fall down too? Oh crap! lol...

#23,996 ·

Seriously? I'm calling out some JTR fanboyism here. 123db @ 8 METERS. That's some ridiculous output. Me thinks people are dismissing something they don't know about...heck, I didn't know the JBL M2 had this type of output.
Holy Smokes! That's some
Serious output! But does it really cost over 15,000$?

#23,997 ·
Yea.. Who needs Crowsons when the HT is on the second level on TJI joist and 1-1/8" wood panel. You definitely feel 5hz. But it might be doing damage to the walls without knowing what. And everything else since its shakes the whole house. Picture frames, and 500$ canvas landscape photos falls off the walls next room over. Um, recess light housing fall down too? Oh crap! lol...
Subwoofer sales need to come with disclaimers...not responsible for structural integrity of the room in which these subwoofers are placed. :)

#23,998 ·
Holy Smokes! That's some
Serious output! But does it really cost over 15,000$?
Looks like about $10000 list per speaker including Crown I-Tech 5000 amp. Considering the amp lists for over $5000, the speaker is only $5000-ish. Even at $8000, it isn't THAT bad considering what it supposedly is. I'd need to listen to it to figure out if it truly is all it is made out to be but Gooddoc is ecstatic and I'm happy for him. Of course, I just checked my bank account and it doesn't look like I'll be an M2 owner anytime soon. Then again, Sweetwater has a JBL 0% for 24 months deal...who's first?

#23,999 ·
God I love this thread. Talk of structural damage from Subs and we are being SERIOUS!!!!! 120 db output from our speakers because we CAN. Meeting with friends and playing music so loud you can hear it down the street because that is how we roll!!!! You won't find this on many other threads. I have 8000 watts and 4 18 drivers via my dual S2s and I can only compete in the ladies league with my subs because there are some real grown ass men on here who bring da funk....bring da noise!!!! Thank you fellas, you make this world a better place. I salute you!!!! :D

#24,000 ·

Here is what I pulled from JBL's web page

Addressing the growing need for high dynamic range and reference-monitor accuracy in a broad range of studios, JBL has developed the M2 Master Reference Monitor: A Free-Standing, 2-Way System that can be placed in any environment to provide an exceptionally accurate monitoring experience. Leveraging a new generation of JBL high-output, ultra-low distortion transducers, the M2 provides in-room frequency response of 20 Hz to 40 kHz, and an extraordinary 123 dB maximum SPL to meet the demanding music, cinema and broadcast production requirements for impactful dynamic range.

.indexStyle1 {font-size: 15px;color: #757575;}.indexStyle2 {font-size: 15px;font-weight: bold;}.indexStyle3 {font-size: 12px;color: #757575;}
M2

Master Reference Monitor
System Format
2-Way Floor Standing or Soffit Mountable
High Frequency Model
D2430K Dual Diaphragm Dual Voice Coil Compression Driver
Low Frequency Model
2216Nd 15 in (381 mm) Differential Drive® Woofer

Like I said earlier I would love to hear it but I know it wont fit my needs. I don't need to hear it to know that. As an "engineering type" you should know you can add and subtract the answer pretty quickly. If you think three of these speakers can put out the type of SPL the 3 212's running on 6200 watts and three OS horn subs can do, well it might be back to school time. This speaker was not defined to do that so it is not a knock on it at all. All I said is it wouldn't meet my needs.

Now don't you have a room mode to find. :)