Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1207 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 7538Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #36181 of 36209 Old 11-30-2016, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,269
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
I bet a surgeon at Bumrungrad International Hospital in Bangkok could do the surgery. I spent 8 days there a few years ago, I found it to be superior to almost every hospital I have visited or stayed in in the United States. System engineers know how to run complex operations.
Thanks for the info indeed.. that could be an option.. i'll go look this up further...
coolgeek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #36182 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM
Member
 
Landmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>gpmbc</strong> <a href="/forum/post/16929350"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style=""></a><br><br>
Any progress with the amp swap and Triple 12LF vs 888 comparison?</div>
</div>
<br>
Working on the room but did take some time to setup and listen to the T8's (as surrounds) for a few friends last night and the results were fantastic. I'm finishing up the wall patching today and will do some A/Bing tonight.
Hi guys.

I'm just checking back in to AVS forum. I have been out of the game for 2 years.


Are JTR speakers still considered the best? I'm looking to build a system in 2017 for home theater and music.
Landmonster is offline  
post #36183 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,807
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
Hi guys.

I'm just checking back in to AVS forum. I have been out of the game for 2 years.


Are JTR speakers still considered the best? I'm looking to build a system in 2017 for home theater and music.
Of course you will get differing opinions as to what speaker is the best. They are often (or at least should be) in the discussion for dedicated HT speakers and they are very well regarded as music speakers. When you get tired of reading, venturing out for an in-person demo is the best way to form an opinion.

See my signature ...

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #36184 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
Member
 
Landmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Of course you will get differing opinions as to what speaker is the best. They are often (or at least should be) in the discussion for dedicated HT speakers and they are very well regarded as music speakers. When you get tired of reading, venturing out for an in-person demo is the best way to form an opinion.

See my signature ...

I would love to demo JTRs. However, I've never found anyone locally who has them - I live around Fort Worth, TX area. I've been intrigued by the rave reviews for JTRs from credible and experienced audio reviers, so I'm inclined to think they will be pretty awesome. As a testament to the JTR following, this thread now has over 1200 pages!

Regardless, in 2014 I owned two Klipsch RF-7iis. I got them because they were on sale, and I was mostly interested in Home Theater. I was fairly happy with them with them for HT, but they weren't "amazing" for music. Then again, I wasn't using a sub either yet. I doubt my impressions in 2017 would be any different, I was hoping for a cleaner and richer sound. (However, the output of the RF-7iis was plenty)

Some people may remember me from this thread.

Anyway, I would be looking for an upgrade from RF-7iis, either in JTR, or another brand of speaker. I don't own any audio equipment now, so I'll be building a system from scratch. I'm open to anything, as long as it's awesome!


My initial budget is around $5,000... so I know that doesn't go far in the JTR world, unless I find clean used speakers.
Landmonster is offline  
post #36185 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North TX
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
I would love to demo JTRs. However, I've never found anyone locally who has them - I live around Fort Worth, TX area.
I have not found anyone local here either (I am in Frisco, TX) and I am looking at going to the KC Crawl in Feb. -> February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
thxman is online now  
post #36186 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 3,147
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
My initial budget is around $5,000... so I know that doesn't go far in the JTR world, unless I find clean used speakers.
There are some products currently available with 10% off.

A system made up of 5 of the Single 8 HT's is actually very awesome. I see 4 are available for 10% and you may get 5% off the fifth. The 8's can play cleanly up to around 120 dB. One of my favorite demos to this day was Jeff playing a pair of Single 8's powered by a Lab Gruppen amp.
thxman and carp like this.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
desertdome is online now  
post #36187 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
Member
 
Landmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
There are some products currently available with 10% off.

A system made up of 5 of the Single 8 HT's is actually very awesome. I see 4 are available for 10% and you may get 5% off the fifth. The 8's can play cleanly up to around 120 dB. One of my favorite demos to this day was Jeff playing a pair of Single 8's powered by a Lab Gruppen amp.
Thanks.

Let me give you guys some specifics, since I know being "vague" is annoying.

I want to get my front speakers first (LCR), and add a sub soon after. I will add the surround speakers as budget allows. The sub-woofer does not have to be the same brand as my speakers, since I know good sub brands often are different than speaker brands. I would definitely consider a JTR sub, if not for the main speakers.

I'm going to veto any Klipsch speakers, since I REALLY tried to like my old RF-7iis and couldn't like them. I just found them too fatiguing, and not super impressive. (my wife was not impressed either) I found Klipsch to be too bright and hard on my ears for some reason, without the "wow" factor.

I used to own some NHT 3.3 speakers about a decade ago, which I was very pleased with. I do seem to prefer neutral speakers, with very good detail and accuracy. Having a strong punch is also good.

Possibilities:

1) Aperion Audio Verus Grand towers. https://www.aperionaudio.com/speaker...-tower-speaker
These have a gorgeous finish, and have years of good reviews. They are in my budget, would look good in any room, and supposedly have a neutral/accurate/non-fatiguign sound. I am not sure how awesome these would be for HT though....

2) PSA MTM-210T https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/mtm-210t
These are supposed to be like budget JTR speakers, while being high-efficiency and accurate. Are these comparable to JTRs, or much inferior?

3) KEF speakers

I'm not sure which models, but they have had good reviews over the years.


Please give me your thoughts on these, and how they would compare to basic JTR speakers (228s, or 212s, etc)

I'd be listening to probably 75% HT, and 25% music.
Landmonster is offline  
post #36188 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,751
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
Thanks.

Let me give you guys some specifics, since I know being "vague" is annoying.

I want to get my front speakers first (LCR), and add a sub soon after. I will add the surround speakers as budget allows. The sub-woofer does not have to be the same brand as my speakers, since I know good sub brands often are different than speaker brands. I would definitely consider a JTR sub, if not for the main speakers.

I'm going to veto any Klipsch speakers, since I REALLY tried to like my old RF-7iis and couldn't like them. I just found them too fatiguing, and not super impressive. (my wife was not impressed either) I found Klipsch to be too bright and hard on my ears for some reason, without the "wow" factor.

I used to own some NHT 3.3 speakers about a decade ago, which I was very pleased with. I do seem to prefer neutral speakers, with very good detail and accuracy. Having a strong punch is also good.

Possibilities:

1) Aperion Audio Verus Grand towers. https://www.aperionaudio.com/speaker...-tower-speaker
These have a gorgeous finish, and have years of good reviews. They are in my budget, would look good in any room, and supposedly have a neutral/accurate/non-fatiguign sound. I am not sure how awesome these would be for HT though....

2) PSA MTM-210T https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/mtm-210t
These are supposed to be like budget JTR speakers, while being high-efficiency and accurate. Are these comparable to JTRs, or much inferior?

3) KEF speakers

I'm not sure which models, but they have had good reviews over the years.


Please give me your thoughts on these, and how they would compare to basic JTR speakers (228s, or 212s, etc)

I'd be listening to probably 75% HT, and 25% music.
For the smoothest audiophile quality treble (which sounds important to you), check out the 3-way models: HTR, RT, and RM
To save some money, the 2-way models are supposed to get you pretty close.

If you want to play full range without subs, only the RT models are designed for that.

Looking at the specs for #1 and #2 , they're not in the same league as JTR in terms of output/dynamics. They also won't have the highly controlled directivity from JTR's horns.

For KEF, similar to the 3-way JTRs they are coaxial, but they won't be in the same league for output/dynamics. KEF is highly respected, but after owning JTRs, I wouldn't want to go back to that league.

For same league comparisons, you could check out Seaton & Danley.

Just based on the specs for those speakers:
#1: Medium output/sensitivity, high fidelity, nice looks (silk dome tweeter and 6" woofers can only do so much)
#2: Medium-high output/sensitivity, lower fidelity
JTR: High output, high fidelity

Last edited by rcohen; Yesterday at 07:06 PM.
rcohen is offline  
post #36189 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,175
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
For the smoothest audiophile quality treble (which sounds important to you), check out the 3-way models: HTR, RT, and RM
To save some money, the 2-way models are supposed to get you pretty close.

If you want to play full range without subs, only the RT models are designed for that.

Looking at the specs for #1 and #2 , they're not in the same league as JTR in terms of output/dynamics. They also won't have the highly controlled directivity from JTR's horns.

For KEF, similar to the 3-way JTRs they are coaxial, but they won't be in the same league for output/dynamics. KEF is highly respected, but after owning JTRs, I wouldn't want to go back to that league.

For same league comparisons, you could check out Seaton & Danley.

Just based on the specs for those speakers:
#1: Medium output/sensitivity, high fidelity, nice looks
#2: Medium-high output/sensitivity, lower fidelity
JTR: High output, high fidelity
I have the PSA 210T along with the JTR 215RT's and 212 HTR. Have also had the 228 HT and 210 RT.

The 210T is a very nice sounding speaker. Size wise it is similar to the 210RT but with much less bass. At 98db efficiency they are very efficient. They sound similar to the 228 HT's I had but with more bass. Once you get up to around reference they sound a little harsher to me than the 228 HT's did. -5 and below they sound very nice. I only drive them with a receiver though.

The models with the 3 way horn (RT, HTR, RM) have a nicer top end for sure but are much more expensive.
raynist is online now  
post #36190 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,751
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I have the PSA 210T along with the JTR 215RT's and 212 HTR. Have also had the 228 HT and 210 RT.

The 210T is a very nice sounding speaker. Size wise it is similar to the 210RT but with much less bass. At 98db efficiency they are very efficient. They sound similar to the 228 HT's I had but with more bass. Once you get up to around reference they sound a little harsher to me than the 228 HT's did. -5 and below they sound very nice. I only drive them with a receiver though.

The models with the 3 way horn (RT, HTR, RM) have a nicer top end for sure but are much more expensive.
I was just speculating based on specs, so definitely pay more attention to what Raynist said.
rcohen is offline  
post #36191 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,348
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2277 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
Hi guys.

I'm just checking back in to AVS forum. I have been out of the game for 2 years.


Are JTR speakers still considered the best? I'm looking to build a system in 2017 for home theater and music.

I remember you were interested in my 212's a couple years ago and I also remember that you very much wanted nice looking speakers. Last I knew Jeff still had a pair of these in stock and ready to sell. Those that saw them in person said the pictures didn't do them justice (pics make them look a little washed out and not as red/red as they really are.

These are 210 RT's, in my opinion the best buy of all JTR speakers. They have the great compression driver and for music will play full range, so same sound as the flagship 215's for 2 channel music.



carp is online now  
post #36192 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,175
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I remember you were interested in my 212's a couple years ago and I also remember that you very much wanted nice looking speakers. Last I knew Jeff still had a pair of these in stock and ready to sell. Those that saw them in person said the pictures didn't do them justice (pics make them look a little washed out and not as red/red as they really are.

These are 210 RT's, in my opinion the best buy of all JTR speakers. They have the great compression driver and for music will play full range, so same sound as the flagship 215's for 2 channel music.



I agree these are the best all around JTR speaker taking price and size into consideration.
raynist is online now  
post #36193 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM
Member
 
casperslide2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I went through the typical audio person upgrade pattern.

I started off with a buy a box 5.1 system from onkyo. That didn't last too long when I realized my headphones had better bass than my surround system.

From there I went to some polk speakers I found on newegg deals, with a PW505 Subwoofer. Sound was leaps and bounds better than the onkyo system, but I still wanted more.

Spending some time on here, and recommendations from friends who "knew" audio. I purchased a KEF 5 speaker setup. Iq90s iq60c and iq50s for the rear. I purchased a sub from the now defunct chase home theater and had a BANGIN system.

I still have the KEF system, in my living room. They sound good, but there is no comparison to when I go down to the theater and listen to the Noesis 212HTR L/R 228HTR center, S2 Sub and Single 8 Surrounds. (The Chase home theater sub is in the mix too) I get chills when I listen to music in the theater. I have no plans on upgrading speakers. (although carp selling his had me grappling with decisions in my sleep)

I guess my suggestion to you is skip the other speakers, buy the JTR and be done with it. It would have saved me a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
Thanks.

Let me give you guys some specifics, since I know being "vague" is annoying.

I want to get my front speakers first (LCR), and add a sub soon after. I will add the surround speakers as budget allows. The sub-woofer does not have to be the same brand as my speakers, since I know good sub brands often are different than speaker brands. I would definitely consider a JTR sub, if not for the main speakers.

I'm going to veto any Klipsch speakers, since I REALLY tried to like my old RF-7iis and couldn't like them. I just found them too fatiguing, and not super impressive. (my wife was not impressed either) I found Klipsch to be too bright and hard on my ears for some reason, without the "wow" factor.

I used to own some NHT 3.3 speakers about a decade ago, which I was very pleased with. I do seem to prefer neutral speakers, with very good detail and accuracy. Having a strong punch is also good.

Possibilities:

1) Aperion Audio Verus Grand towers. https://www.aperionaudio.com/speaker...-tower-speaker
These have a gorgeous finish, and have years of good reviews. They are in my budget, would look good in any room, and supposedly have a neutral/accurate/non-fatiguign sound. I am not sure how awesome these would be for HT though....

2) PSA MTM-210T https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/mtm-210t
These are supposed to be like budget JTR speakers, while being high-efficiency and accurate. Are these comparable to JTRs, or much inferior?

3) KEF speakers

I'm not sure which models, but they have had good reviews over the years.


Please give me your thoughts on these, and how they would compare to basic JTR speakers (228s, or 212s, etc)

I'd be listening to probably 75% HT, and 25% music.
casperslide2004 is offline  
post #36194 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM
Member
 
Landmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by casperslide2004 View Post
I went through the typical audio person upgrade pattern.

I started off with a buy a box 5.1 system from onkyo. That didn't last too long when I realized my headphones had better bass than my surround system.

From there I went to some polk speakers I found on newegg deals, with a PW505 Subwoofer. Sound was leaps and bounds better than the onkyo system, but I still wanted more.

Spending some time on here, and recommendations from friends who "knew" audio. I purchased a KEF 5 speaker setup. Iq90s iq60c and iq50s for the rear. I purchased a sub from the now defunct chase home theater and had a BANGIN system.

I still have the KEF system, in my living room. They sound good, but there is no comparison to when I go down to the theater and listen to the Noesis 212HTR L/R 228HTR center, S2 Sub and Single 8 Surrounds. (The Chase home theater sub is in the mix too) I get chills when I listen to music in the theater. I have no plans on upgrading speakers. (although carp selling his had me grappling with decisions in my sleep)

I guess my suggestion to you is skip the other speakers, buy the JTR and be done with it. It would have saved me a lot of money.

That's the kind of response why I keep getting drawn back to JTR speakers.

People act like they are leaps and bounds better than even other highly-respected brands... it seems like JTR is in a league of their own.

If this is true, then I can only say that Jeff P. needs to hire some professional advertising and marketing gurus, and then he could rule the audio universe.
Landmonster is offline  
post #36195 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM
Member
 
Landmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
A question for you JTR guys....


after owning JTR speakers for a while, do you get bored with them?

Do they just become a "new normal" for you, that you take them for granted while watching movies? Or... are they so amazing on a level where they "wow" you every time you get to listen to them?
Landmonster is offline  
post #36196 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,175
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
A question for you JTR guys....


after owning JTR speakers for a while, do you get bored with them?

Do they just become a "new normal" for you, that you take them for granted while watching movies? Or... are they so amazing on a level where they "wow" you every time you get to listen to them?
Never bored. You do end up taking them for granted until you listen to lesser speaker, or go to a theater. You then realize what you have. They amaze me every time I listen to music.
RMK! likes this.
raynist is online now  
post #36197 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,751
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
A question for you JTR guys....


after owning JTR speakers for a while, do you get bored with them?

Do they just become a "new normal" for you, that you take them for granted while watching movies? Or... are they so amazing on a level where they "wow" you every time you get to listen to them?
Once they are set up right, it sounds lifelike. You have a physical reaction. It can be unnerving.

You don't realize how big of a role dynamics make in something sounding like speakers vs sounding like real life until you hear truly dynamic speakers.
RMK! likes this.
rcohen is offline  
post #36198 of 36209 Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,269
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I have owned a 212 for years now.. in fact, I think i was one of the first few who pre-ordered the 1st batch.. Till today, they remained the best sounding speakers I have ever heard, bar none... Of course, most of the other speakers I have auditioned are either in showrooms or in AV shows, where they may not have the type of Acoustics as in my own room... but one thing i can be certain is, most commercial brands will not give you the huge dynamics these speakers do and to me, aside from sq, they are the 2nd most important factor...

And because of that, unless you listen to a lot of 2 channel music, I would choose the 212 HTRs over the 210 RT... the 212s would have something like 9dB in efficiency... that means you can power them effortlessly using just about any AVR to reference and beyond in a large sized HT....
coolgeek is offline  
post #36199 of 36209 Old Today, 08:10 AM
Senior Member
 
theblackangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
A question for you JTR guys....


after owning JTR speakers for a while, do you get bored with them?

Do they just become a "new normal" for you, that you take them for granted while watching movies? Or... are they so amazing on a level where they "wow" you every time you get to listen to them?
My 2c after having JTRs for a couple years.
They do become the new normal, but you don't really stop appreciating them.
I had some high efficiency Cerwin Vega's which were pretty good for HT (not great for music) but even going from 400watt 98DB efficient CV's to the JTR's there was a huge difference in HT competency and an equally large improvement in music.
Much more clean, clear, and dynamic.
After having listened to many speakers, the only ones I like significantly better are *way* (Read 10x+) more expensive.
Also there is something said when you have a system that you have confidence in playing up to reference easily!
theblackangus is offline  
post #36200 of 36209 Old Today, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,807
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
I have owned a 212 for years now.. in fact, I think i was one of the first few who pre-ordered the 1st batch.. Till today, they remained the best sounding speakers I have ever heard, bar none... Of course, most of the other speakers I have auditioned are either in showrooms or in AV shows, where they may not have the type of Acoustics as in my own room... but one thing i can be certain is, most commercial brands will not give you the huge dynamics these speakers do and to me, aside from sq, they are the 2nd most important factor...

And because of that, unless you listen to a lot of 2 channel music, I would choose the 212 HTRs over the 210 RT... the 212s would have something like 9dB in efficiency... that means you can power them effortlessly using just about any AVR to reference and beyond in a large sized HT....
Of course you are correct about the efficiency advantage of the 212's but having heard the 210RT's they are a great choice for a reasonable sized, full range music speaker. IMO, they need dedicated subwoofer support for movies but even that might not be necessary for someone who isn't as bass hungry as many here seem to be. If I were putting together a system in a common living space (e.g. living room, family room) the 210RT would be my speaker choice.
carp likes this.

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; Today at 08:40 AM.
RMK! is offline  
post #36201 of 36209 Old Today, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,175
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Of course you are correct about the efficiency advantage of the 212's but having heard the 210RT's they are a great choice for a reasonable sized, full range music speaker. IMO, they need dedicated subwoofer support for movies but even that might not be necessary for someone who isn't as bass hungry as many here seem to be. If I were putting together a system in a common living space (e.g. living room, family room) the 210RT would be my speaker choice.
I would choose the 210RT every time if you have amps to power them. I noticed no difference in dynamics. I don't think you would unless you are listening at over 120db.
raynist is online now  
post #36202 of 36209 Old Today, 09:56 AM
Member
 
Landmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
I have owned a 212 for years now.. in fact, I think i was one of the first few who pre-ordered the 1st batch.. Till today, they remained the best sounding speakers I have ever heard, bar none... Of course, most of the other speakers I have auditioned are either in showrooms or in AV shows, where they may not have the type of Acoustics as in my own room... but one thing i can be certain is, most commercial brands will not give you the huge dynamics these speakers do and to me, aside from sq, they are the 2nd most important factor...

And because of that, unless you listen to a lot of 2 channel music, I would choose the 212 HTRs over the 210 RT... the 212s would have something like 9dB in efficiency... that means you can power them effortlessly using just about any AVR to reference and beyond in a large sized HT....

What is the difference between 212 HT, and 212 HTR? (it's a $700 price jump!)

How do either of the 212 models compare to the 210 RT?


Edit:
212 HT = $1599 ea
212 HTR= $2299 ea
210 RT = $2299 ea

Last edited by Landmonster; Today at 10:00 AM.
Landmonster is offline  
post #36203 of 36209 Old Today, 10:02 AM
Member
 
Landmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
I have owned a 212 for years now.. in fact, I think i was one of the first few who pre-ordered the 1st batch.. Till today, they remained the best sounding speakers I have ever heard, bar none... Of course, most of the other speakers I have auditioned are either in showrooms or in AV shows, where they may not have the type of Acoustics as in my own room... but one thing i can be certain is, most commercial brands will not give you the huge dynamics these speakers do and to me, aside from sq, they are the 2nd most important factor...

And because of that, unless you listen to a lot of 2 channel music, I would choose the 212 HTRs over the 210 RT... the 212s would have something like 9dB in efficiency... that means you can power them effortlessly using just about any AVR to reference and beyond in a large sized HT....
Are you saying the 210 RTs are difficult to power? They are listed at 95db efficiency.

Just wondering, because i couldn't really afford to start with more power than just a single AV receiver.

Edit: how much difference does the 95db efficiency of the 210 matter compared to the 101db efficiency of the 212 HTR?

Last edited by Landmonster; Today at 10:09 AM.
Landmonster is offline  
post #36204 of 36209 Old Today, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
BufordTJustice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post
Those are pretty good but are limited to the 12db attenuation, I bought the musicians earplugs and they have buttons ranging from 9 to 25 dbs and they are custom made to fit your ears so they are pretty comfortable over long periods of time. The downside is the $200 price tag.. I used them with concerts that averaged 110+dbs and my ears did not hurt afterwards.
I mixed plenty of concerts using the 25dB models in custom ear molds. They have a known attention curve which Etymotic provides with each pair. But the curve is shallow.

Arcam AVR300, Adcom GFA-5500 (Main L+R), Panny BDT-500 Media Transport, Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Darbee DVP-5000S, Chane A2.4 mains, Chane A3rx-c surrounds, Center TBD, 18" XBL2/SplitGap 4th order Bandpass subwoofer x 2 (custom build), BJC ten-white w/ ultrasonically welded WBT locking banana connectors.
BufordTJustice is offline  
post #36205 of 36209 Old Today, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,175
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
Are you saying the 210 RTs are difficult to power? They are listed at 95db efficiency.

Just wondering, because i couldn't really afford to start with more power than just a single AV receiver.

Edit: how much difference does the 95db efficiency of the 210 matter compared to the 101db efficiency of the 212 HTR?
You could still run the 210RT's off of a receiver. You will not get the most out of them with a receiver though. If you listen -10 below reference it shouldn't be an issue. It takes 4 times the power to get the same volume out of the 210 as the 212's.

The 210's will still probabaly be louder than you can stand with a receiver.
raynist is online now  
post #36206 of 36209 Old Today, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,348
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2277 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
Are you saying the 210 RTs are difficult to power? They are listed at 95db efficiency.

Just wondering, because i couldn't really afford to start with more power than just a single AV receiver.

Edit: how much difference does the 95db efficiency of the 210 matter compared to the 101db efficiency of the 212 HTR?

95 db's is very efficient. My surrounds are all 94 db's and I easily run them off my avr.

I would say the only way you would want to have a separate amp for the 210's is if you want to boost the bass a lot AND show off to people how much bass they are capable of without subs. Running them off the AVR I'm confident you could play them at reference with no big/show off bass boost.

Actually the 212's are way under rated. Data bass measured them at 105 db's which is crazy efficient and I've compared them with speakers that are rated at 104 and the 212's are indeed more efficient!

The 210's should be JTR's best seller. I've been saying that since the first time I heard them.

To give you an idea, I know Klipsh RF 7's are rated at 99 or 97 but it's not true. I can almost guarantee they are closer to 93 so you need even less power for the 210's than the RF 7's.
carp is online now  
post #36207 of 36209 Old Today, 10:39 AM
Member
 
Landmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
95 db's is very efficient. My surrounds are all 94 db's and I easily run them off my avr.

I would say the only way you would want to have a separate amp for the 210's is if you want to boost the bass a lot AND show off to people how much bass they are capable of without subs. Running them off the AVR I'm confident you could play them at reference with no big/show off bass boost.

Actually the 212's are way under rated. Data bass measured them at 105 db's which is crazy efficient and I've compared them with speakers that are rated at 104 and the 212's are indeed more efficient!

The 210's should be JTR's best seller. I've been saying that since the first time I heard them.

To give you an idea, I know Klipsh RF 7's are rated at 99 or 97 but it's not true. I can almost guarantee they are closer to 93 so you need even less power for the 210's than the RF 7's.

Awesome. I think the 210s are almost the same exact size too, as the RF 7. I was pleased with that size, but I just wanted better quality, and better bass.


So what is the huge deal with high db efficiency then? I don't care about playing at ear-bleeding levels anyway.... does having super high efficiency help with other factors that I'm not aware of?

(The RF-7iis I had played well beyond my comfort level on a standard Denon recever at about 50% volume. I live in a tract house in Texas, and you could hear the music from the street in front of my house. )

Right now, I'd lean towards getting the 2 main speakers + a nice AV receiver to start with. I'm leaning towards either the 210 RTs, or the 212 HTRs for my L&R speakers. The sub will have to wait a while, due to funds.... as will a center channel... so the main 2 speakers would have to be sufficient for movies and music for probably a year. This probably makes a difference in your recommendations.
Landmonster is offline  
post #36208 of 36209 Old Today, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,175
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
Awesome. I think the 210s are almost the same exact size too, as the RF 7. I was pleased with that size, but I just wanted better quality, and better bass.


So what is the huge deal with high db efficiency then? I don't care about playing at ear-bleeding levels anyway.... does having super high efficiency help with other factors that I'm not aware of?

(The RF-7iis I had played well beyond my comfort level on a standard Denon recever at about 50% volume. I live in a tract house in Texas, and you could hear the music from the street in front of my house. )

Right now, I'd lean towards getting the 2 main speakers + a nice AV receiver to start with. I'm leaning towards either the 210 RTs, or the 212 HTRs for my L&R speakers. The sub will have to wait a while, due to funds.... as will a center channel... so the main 2 speakers would have to be sufficient for movies and music for probably a year. This probably makes a difference in your recommendations.
Get the 210RT's then. You can watch movies with them with no subs and get good bass down into the 30's. The 212HTR with no subs will not be great for movies. I would go with a center before a new avr.
raynist is online now  
post #36209 of 36209 Old Today, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North TX
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
So what is the huge deal with high db efficiency then? I don't care about playing at ear-bleeding levels anyway.... does having super high efficiency help with other factors that I'm not aware of?
If you have yet to hear how effective dynamic speakers are in a HT environment, you are welcome to demo my Alcons.



thxman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off