Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1211 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 7587Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #36301 of 36315 Old Yesterday, 12:11 AM
Member
 
elvinps2626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Regarding 212s vs 210s for an AT screen, I think it depends on whether you plan to run with subs.

Unlike many people in this thread, I prefer running speakers with multiple subs, even for music.

As they said, though, the 210s give you the option, in case you land in the other camp.



It would be interesting to hear Jeff's opinion on this, if he has a preference.


Yes the 210RT will give me the option. I will try both ways the 210 RT full range with music and with the subs to see which one i will like.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
elvinps2626 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #36302 of 36315 Old Yesterday, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,792
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvinps2626 View Post
If I go through the microperf AT screen how will I be able to EQ them ? I have Dirac with my emotiva xmc-1 and can do target curve but I'm not an expert on it. What frequencies should I eq and by how much ?
It's effortless with room EQ, like Dirac. Just set the target curve the way you like, and it will automatically compensate for the screen. Also, you'd want to make sure you are far enough back from the screen that the holes wouldn't be visible.

Like I said, I'd see if I could get by with the gain from a Semour XD screen first, and only go with microperf for an especially big screen in a big room.
rcohen is offline  
post #36303 of 36315 Old Yesterday, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,792
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvinps2626 View Post
Yes the 210RT will give me the option. I will try both ways the 210 RT full range with music and with the subs to see which one i will like.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Considering you have those mono blocks, I think that's a good call. I bet those amps will be great with the 210s.
rcohen is offline  
post #36304 of 36315 Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM
Member
 
elvinps2626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
A handy trick here is to stack concrete blocks from the hardware store and wrap them in black velvet.

It's super cheap, super solid, and you can fine tune the height.

You'll want some work gloves, though, so you don't shred your hands.



It doesn't look as nice as real stands, but it's perfect for behind an AT screen.


I will try it out with concrete blocks and wrap them in velvet. I will check the plans because the person who I'm buying the screen told me that I can fit a 133" in screen and I'm planing to have it with curtains the opens and close when I'm not using the system. To see if I can put the LR outside and out wide then I will talk to Jeff to see if he can sell me nice stands for them. It all depends I have to talk to him to see if I can get a bigger screen if that is the case the speakers will have to go behind the screen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
elvinps2626 is offline  
post #36305 of 36315 Old Yesterday, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,792
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvinps2626 View Post
I will try it out with concrete blocks and wrap them in velvet. I will check the plans because the person who I'm buying the screen told me that I can fit a 133" in screen and I'm planing to have it with curtains the opens and close when I'm not using the system. To see if I can put the LR outside and out wide then I will talk to Jeff to see if he can sell me nice stands for them. It all depends I have to talk to him to see if I can get a bigger screen if that is the case the speakers will have to go behind the screen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would be ideal to try the speakers at different widths to see what you like best before committing, if possible.
rcohen is offline  
post #36306 of 36315 Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM
Member
 
elvinps2626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
It would be ideal to try the speakers at different widths to see what you like best before committing, if possible.


I will do that thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
elvinps2626 is offline  
post #36307 of 36315 Old Yesterday, 01:06 AM
Member
 
elvinps2626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
It's effortless with room EQ, like Dirac. Just set the target curve the way you like, and it will automatically compensate for the screen. Also, you'd want to make sure you are far enough back from the screen that the holes wouldn't be visible.



Like I said, I'd see if I could get by with the gain from a Semour XD screen first, and only go with microperf for an especially big screen in a big room.


Ok perfect it is easy to do. I will check if he sells the semour XD Screen.
Thank you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
elvinps2626 is offline  
post #36308 of 36315 Old Yesterday, 01:07 AM
Member
 
elvinps2626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Considering you have those mono blocks, I think that's a good call. I bet those amps will be great with the 210s.


Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
elvinps2626 is offline  
post #36309 of 36315 Old Yesterday, 02:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Peterc613's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Van Nuys, CA
Posts: 962
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
We're having a 10th year anniversary party this saturday. If you're interested than PM me for details.

Congratulations Jeff on your 10 year anniversary!

Thanks for all the pure enjoyment you have brought so many of us with such fantastic products from a really great company.



carp, dlbeck, rcohen and 9 others like this.
Peterc613 is offline  
post #36310 of 36315 Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM
Senior Member
 
theblackangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvinps2626 View Post
Perfect i will get a AT screen then.
thanks
So to be perfectly clear and set expectations.
I say this because my center was about 2' off the ground and it really bugged me the sound came from that far down.
Once I got an AT screen I had all speakers at the same height and orentation which made the sound stage line up with the screen.
For me this was a very noticeable difference.
As a side my LR's are not behind the screen but just on the side so for music they are not impacted by the screen.
DRC3 likes this.
theblackangus is offline  
post #36311 of 36315 Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jeff Permanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post
Congratulations Jeff on your 10 year anniversary!

Thanks for all the pure enjoyment you have brought so many of us with such fantastic products from a really great company.



If anyone is area and not doing anything than JTR is having a 10th anniversary party this saturday. We'll have movie clips going on the demo room, music in the warehouse and will have food. BYOB (bring your own beer). PM me for details. Union Grove WI 53182.
Archaea likes this.
Jeff Permanian is offline  
post #36312 of 36315 Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 3,157
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
I just finished connecting the surrounds on a theater this afternoon. It has 3 JTR Noesis 212HTR's, 4 Slant 8's, and 2 Orbit Shifter LFU's. We were playing over 132 dB with a lot more clean output available. Power is from two Crest CC5500 amps and two Crest CC4000 amps. The acoustic treatment package will arrive next week and then I'll put up some pictures.

The room has concrete walls, ceiling, and floor. This is the loudest and most bass impact of any system I've experienced so far. The owner was coming from a single HSU Research VTF-15H so he was all smiles.

I'm flying to Chicago tomorrow to attend Jeff's 10th anniversary celebration. Tomorrow night we hope to visit pennynike1's "bass asylum" and hear 8 Othorns and 4 Seaton Terraform D18's. I'm not sure yet what subwoofers Jeff will have setup for Saturday, but this week is shaping up to be one of my top bass output weeks. I'm putting some earplugs in my bag right now.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
desertdome is offline  
post #36313 of 36315 Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,818
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I just finished connecting the surrounds on a theater this afternoon. It has 3 JTR Noesis 212HTR's, 4 Slant 8's, and 2 Orbit Shifter LFU's. We were playing over 132 dB with a lot more clean output available. Power is from two Crest CC5500 amps and two Crest CC4000 amps. The acoustic treatment package will arrive next week and then I'll put up some pictures.

The room has concrete walls, ceiling, and floor. This is the loudest and most bass impact of any system I've experienced so far. The owner was coming from a single HSU Research VTF-15H so he was all smiles.

I'm flying to Chicago tomorrow to attend Jeff's 10th anniversary celebration. Tomorrow night we hope to visit pennynike1's "bass asylum" and hear 8 Othorns and 4 Seaton Terraform D18's. I'm not sure yet what subwoofers Jeff will have setup for Saturday, but this week is shaping up to be one of my top bass output weeks. I'm putting some earplugs in my bag right now.
Lucky bastardo

I was going to tell you to bring a parka and your mukluks but then remembered where you live so ... maybe sunscreen and a hawaiian shirt?

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #36314 of 36315 Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 3,157
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Lucky bastardo

I was going to tell you to bring a parka and your mukluks but then remembered where you live so ... maybe sunscreen and a hawaiian shirt?
Considering it was a high of 140 F today in Kenosha, WI, you might be right about sunscreen and a Hawaiian shirt.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kenosha Weather.PNG
Views:	81
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1818289  
RMK! likes this.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
- Colorimetry Research CR-250 Spectroradiometer & CR-100 Colorimeter
- Murideo Fresco SIX-G/SIX-A Generator/Analyzer (HDMI 2.x, HDR, UHD)
- ACO Pacific and Earthworks Class 1 microphones
desertdome is offline  
post #36315 of 36315 Old Today, 07:29 AM
Member
 
DRC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Considering it was a high of 140 F today in Kenosha, WI, you might be right about sunscreen and a Hawaiian shirt.

LOL- will miss the balmy weather...hope everyone has a great time. Can't make it due to work, but my ears will prolly thank me. Post pix guys!!!
DRC3 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off