Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1234 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7988Likes
post #36991 of 36997 Unread Yesterday, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Looking for some more input...

I live in Dubai and I won't be able to hear any of the speakers I am considering for my new home theater setup (Seaton Sound and JTR). Because of this, I need to rely on everyone's comments/opinions on each speaker.

For the Seaton Sound setup, I am considering the 8C or the 12C for LCR, the new passive Spark for side and back surrounds along with the ceiling speakers. For the subwoofers, they will be two powered SubMersive HPs with two slave SubMersive HPs.

For the JTR setup, I am considering the 228HTR for LCR, and Single 8HT-lp or Slanted 8HT-lp for sides, backs, and ceiling speakers. The subwoofers will remain SubMersives (same setup as the Seaton Sound subwoofer setup).

If I want to setup it up a bit, I could try to spring for 8C all around for LCR, sides, and backs with the passive Spark for ceiling speakers. Subwoofer setup will remain the same.

For the JTR side, if I wanted to setup it up, I could try 228HTR for LCR, 228HT for sides and backs, and Single 8HT-lp or Slanted 8HT-lp for ceiling speakers. Subwoofer setup remains the same.

For the amps for the JTR setup, I am leaning towards one Parasound A 51 and two A 31 amps.

Now the subjective part...

While most state both brands offer speakers are the very clear sounding with great detail, some have stated that the Seaton Sound offerings sound "veiled" and lacking detail. Here is one example where the user compared the 12C to a Genelec speaker: http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...onitor-4897368

I don't want a veiled sounding speaker so I am a bit worried. I currently have the original (2002) model Klipsch RF-7, RC-7, and RS-7 (with a single 1000 watt SubMersive) speakers and want to setup up in output and sound quality. The reason I am leaning towards Seaton Sound is because you get the speaker + amp package which reduces the chances of user "induced" variations that could change the overall sound of the setup. Another reason is that some have stated that Seaton Sound is more refined than JTR.

Any input will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36992 of 36997 Unread Yesterday, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 1527
I think the 228HTR will be a bit cleaner sounding all the way up the SPL scale due to a higher quality compression driver. They will be a bit more dynamic as well. That was my feeling when comparing the JTR Triple 12's to the Cat 12's several years ago. As others have said, either of these speakers can be made to sound just as you like it with EQ so any native performance delta may not be noticeable. That said, you can't EQ in better clarity or lower distortion of the CD.

I think the passive vs active issue would be my biggest concern. As good as the amps may be, I have heard of amp failures with the Seatons and being as you are in Dubai, getting a replacement will require cost and logistics issues which make that risk a factor to be considered.

Opinions are not facts.
post #36993 of 36997 Unread Yesterday, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Yes, and as I made a horrible attempt to appear in joking matter, we have already cleared it up via PM. All is good! I rarely try to be combative or talk like that in real life, but I seem to do a better job there than on the interwebz on portraying my flippant demeanor.
Nonsense, your contrition involving such a benign statement is unwarranted. I likes me some "flippant demeanor" as it fits in so well with our times. What used to be called civility, is now called political correctness ... and there is nothing correct about politics.
beastaudio likes this.

Opinions are not facts.

post #36994 of 36997 Unread Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Nonsense, your contrition involving such a benign statement is unwarranted. I likes me some "flippant demeanor" as it fits in so well with our times. What used to be called civility, is now called political correctness ... and there is nothing correct about politics.
Since we're blowing this thing ALL the way up...

I am in no way politically correct...was just pointing out that Beast may not have noticed that the dude's post was literally 1 minute after JP's...which is what ended up having transpired. Didn't appear malicious to me...just a dude spittin' some sass.
post #36995 of 36997 Unread Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Hi,

The PSA 210's and the JTR 228's were similar. The 228HT's I had were the 2014 model. Jeff has updated them several times since then. I think they now have more midbass, bigger waveguide and lower crossover. The PSA 210T's will go lower but I notice a harshness at really loud levels with some music (close to reference). It could be the room though.

The 210T's have a smaller waveguide and the crossover is higher (2k I think vs 850hz) so they would have different dispersion characteristics. I don't think you can go wrong with either though.
Thanks for the input. My 228HTs L & R are here! YAY ! Waiting to receive the center Existing Ascends will serve as surrounds for now.

I have a NOOB question about the power needed to drive the JTRs. I have the Yamaha RX V 779 AVR. Do I need to get additional amplifiers ? If so which ones?
post #36996 of 36997 Unread Yesterday, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBWI View Post
Thanks for the input. My 228HTs L & R are here! YAY ! Waiting to receive the center Existing Ascends will serve as surrounds for now.

I have a NOOB question about the power needed to drive the JTRs. I have the Yamaha RX V 779 AVR. Do I need to get additional amplifiers ? If so which ones?
Plenty of guys run them with just receivers and are extremely happy. Just give them a try and see!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #36997 of 36997 Unread Today, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
For the amps for the JTR setup, I am leaning towards one Parasound A 51 and two A 31 amps.
One downside about these Parasound Ax1 amps is that they run fairly hot, due to the high bias AB. Getting 3 of them would give you pretty significant cooling requirements, which has it's own consequences. It's probably more practical to get a single A31 for LCR along with something more efficient for surrounds & heights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis