Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1234 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7993Likes
post #36991 of 37015 Old Yesterday, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Looking for some more input...

I live in Dubai and I won't be able to hear any of the speakers I am considering for my new home theater setup (Seaton Sound and JTR). Because of this, I need to rely on everyone's comments/opinions on each speaker.

For the Seaton Sound setup, I am considering the 8C or the 12C for LCR, the new passive Spark for side and back surrounds along with the ceiling speakers. For the subwoofers, they will be two powered SubMersive HPs with two slave SubMersive HPs.

For the JTR setup, I am considering the 228HTR for LCR, and Single 8HT-lp or Slanted 8HT-lp for sides, backs, and ceiling speakers. The subwoofers will remain SubMersives (same setup as the Seaton Sound subwoofer setup).

If I want to setup it up a bit, I could try to spring for 8C all around for LCR, sides, and backs with the passive Spark for ceiling speakers. Subwoofer setup will remain the same.

For the JTR side, if I wanted to setup it up, I could try 228HTR for LCR, 228HT for sides and backs, and Single 8HT-lp or Slanted 8HT-lp for ceiling speakers. Subwoofer setup remains the same.

For the amps for the JTR setup, I am leaning towards one Parasound A 51 and two A 31 amps.

Now the subjective part...

While most state both brands offer speakers are the very clear sounding with great detail, some have stated that the Seaton Sound offerings sound "veiled" and lacking detail. Here is one example where the user compared the 12C to a Genelec speaker: http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...onitor-4897368

I don't want a veiled sounding speaker so I am a bit worried. I currently have the original (2002) model Klipsch RF-7, RC-7, and RS-7 (with a single 1000 watt SubMersive) speakers and want to setup up in output and sound quality. The reason I am leaning towards Seaton Sound is because you get the speaker + amp package which reduces the chances of user "induced" variations that could change the overall sound of the setup. Another reason is that some have stated that Seaton Sound is more refined than JTR.

Any input will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36992 of 37015 Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 1527
I think the 228HTR will be a bit cleaner sounding all the way up the SPL scale due to a higher quality compression driver. They will be a bit more dynamic as well. That was my feeling when comparing the JTR Triple 12's to the Cat 12's several years ago. As others have said, either of these speakers can be made to sound just as you like it with EQ so any native performance delta may not be noticeable. That said, you can't EQ in better clarity or lower distortion of the CD.

I think the passive vs active issue would be my biggest concern. As good as the amps may be, I have heard of amp failures with the Seatons and being as you are in Dubai, getting a replacement will require cost and logistics issues which make that risk a factor to be considered.

Opinions are not facts.
post #36993 of 37015 Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Yes, and as I made a horrible attempt to appear in joking matter, we have already cleared it up via PM. All is good! I rarely try to be combative or talk like that in real life, but I seem to do a better job there than on the interwebz on portraying my flippant demeanor.
Nonsense, your contrition involving such a benign statement is unwarranted. I likes me some "flippant demeanor" as it fits in so well with our times. What used to be called civility, is now called political correctness ... and there is nothing correct about politics.
beastaudio likes this.

Opinions are not facts.

post #36994 of 37015 Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Nonsense, your contrition involving such a benign statement is unwarranted. I likes me some "flippant demeanor" as it fits in so well with our times. What used to be called civility, is now called political correctness ... and there is nothing correct about politics.
Since we're blowing this thing ALL the way up...

I am in no way politically correct...was just pointing out that Beast may not have noticed that the dude's post was literally 1 minute after JP's...which is what ended up having transpired. Didn't appear malicious to me...just a dude spittin' some sass.
post #36995 of 37015 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Hi,

The PSA 210's and the JTR 228's were similar. The 228HT's I had were the 2014 model. Jeff has updated them several times since then. I think they now have more midbass, bigger waveguide and lower crossover. The PSA 210T's will go lower but I notice a harshness at really loud levels with some music (close to reference). It could be the room though.

The 210T's have a smaller waveguide and the crossover is higher (2k I think vs 850hz) so they would have different dispersion characteristics. I don't think you can go wrong with either though.
Thanks for the input. My 228HTs L & R are here! YAY ! Waiting to receive the center Existing Ascends will serve as surrounds for now.

I have a NOOB question about the power needed to drive the JTRs. I have the Yamaha RX V 779 AVR. Do I need to get additional amplifiers ? If so which ones?
post #36996 of 37015 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBWI View Post
Thanks for the input. My 228HTs L & R are here! YAY ! Waiting to receive the center Existing Ascends will serve as surrounds for now.

I have a NOOB question about the power needed to drive the JTRs. I have the Yamaha RX V 779 AVR. Do I need to get additional amplifiers ? If so which ones?
Plenty of guys run them with just receivers and are extremely happy. Just give them a try and see!
SeanBWI likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #36997 of 37015 Old Today, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
For the amps for the JTR setup, I am leaning towards one Parasound A 51 and two A 31 amps.
One downside about these Parasound Ax1 amps is that they run fairly hot, due to the high bias AB. Getting 3 of them would give you pretty significant cooling requirements, which has it's own consequences. It's probably more practical to get a single A31 for LCR along with something more efficient for surrounds & heights.
post #36998 of 37015 Old Today, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
While most state both brands offer speakers are the very clear sounding with great detail, some have stated that the Seaton Sound offerings sound "veiled" and lacking detail. Here is one example where the user compared the 12C to a Genelec speaker: http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...onitor-4897368

I don't want a veiled sounding speaker so I am a bit worried. I currently have the original (2002) model Klipsch RF-7, RC-7, and RS-7 (with a single 1000 watt SubMersive) speakers and want to setup up in output and sound quality. The reason I am leaning towards Seaton Sound is because you get the speaker + amp package which reduces the chances of user "induced" variations that could change the overall sound of the setup. Another reason is that some have stated that Seaton Sound is more refined than JTR.

Any input will be appreciated.
This is exactly where I felt the 212 + Parasound Ax1 + Dirac shine for me. The 212s are spectacularly clear and clean, with the Parasounds + Dirac, I love how they are both crystal clear and smooth - no trace of harshness, which is pretty stunning for all that detail.

I think it all is just adding up:
1) The compression driver in the 3-way JTRs is super-clean sounding, with amazing midrange and treble.
2) The controlled directivity of the horn keeps the sound off the walls, which contributes to clarity.
3) I felt that the Parasounds Ax1 combined with them in a way that was less harsh than other amps I tried, without sacrificing any detail. Surprisingly, I felt this was the case after room EQ with the same target curve. It was a subtle thing, so I wouldn't bet my life on it, but there you go. Maybe the ability to run in class A mode made the difference. I don't know.
4) With Dirac, I was able to fine tune the response curve to be exactly what I wanted. It turned out I wanted something pretty specific. There was actually a trick with this. I had to zoom in and drag the right "curtain" to get it to behave right and get that sound I wanted. https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...ble-with-dirac

Last edited by rcohen; Today at 06:51 AM.
post #36999 of 37015 Old Today, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
One downside about these Parasound Ax1 amps is that they run fairly hot, due to the high bias AB. Getting 3 of them would give you pretty significant cooling requirements, which has it's own consequences. It's probably more practical to get a single A31 for LCR along with something more efficient for surrounds & heights.
I fully concur. While I've never had them on my jtr's, a friend had an A51 and in his room (about 3000 ft^3) it was practically a space heater.
post #37000 of 37015 Old Today, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
I fully concur. While I've never had them on my jtr's, a friend had an A51 and in his room (about 3000 ft^3) it was practically a space heater.
The JC1s I had would actually get painful to the touch. The A51 just gets warm. I guess it's shades of grey, but it does add up. Three of them is three times as much heat. I think it's worth it to get that sweetness in the LCRs. For surrounds and heights, not worth it. Just find something efficient that meets the power, ohm, and SNR requirements.
post #37001 of 37015 Old Today, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wish you'd try it, to let me know whether I'm crazy or not.
post #37002 of 37015 Old Today, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
My A21 sits on top of our cabinet with plenty of room to disperse any heat. It barely even gets warm when played all day. Our A51 sits inside the cabinet with the accompanying cooling fan seems to run constantly and causes it to get only warm also. I am lucky that I cannot hear the fan, but know that it is on as I put my hand up to it and feel it pushing out warm air even without signal running to it while it is on when listening to a lot of 2-channel music. I have considered moving my A51 on top of our cabinet also to see if that would help it run cooler without the need for any fan. The Parasound amps do sound great though and my research has led me to believe that it's probably the best bang for the buck out there. Probably the bottom of what would be considered hi-fi due to the class A bias at lower volumes. I like most am always trying to learn more and enjoy this hobby.
post #37003 of 37015 Old Today, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 589
post #37004 of 37015 Old Today, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Advertising announcement: (3) JTR 212-LP speakers & 3 MBM's listed in the classifieds.

FS (3) JTR 212-LP Noesis Speakers

FS (3) Mid Bass Modules
210RT's or ?

Opinions are not facts.
post #37005 of 37015 Old Today, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
210RT's or ?
Trying to decide between the Bose Premium Jewel Cube Series or the new JTR 212RT. What do you guys think? Go Bose?
rcohen and HTPCat like this.
post #37006 of 37015 Old Today, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Trying to decide between the Bose Premium Jewel Cube Series or the new JTR 212RT. What do you guys think? Go Bose?
It's about time someone around here had the cojones to say F it, I'm going Bose ...

Opinions are not facts.
post #37007 of 37015 Old Today, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
The Parasound amps do sound great though and my research has led me to believe that it's probably the best bang for the buck out there.
Like I was saying before, they are pretty expensive at advertised prices, but actually pretty reasonable when you find a grey market source with a big markdown. I got mine a long time ago, and I don't have my own source, but I'm sure they're still out there.

Also, the "sounds great" part only applies to the Ax1 series. The Ax2 series doesn't have much power and the other amps are run of the mill.
BassMojo likes this.
post #37008 of 37015 Old Today, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're going to make everyone jealous. Any other upgrades planned?

Selling the MBMs, are you going to a more conventional Atmos receiver?
post #37009 of 37015 Old Today, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
I think the passive vs active issue would be my biggest concern. As good as the amps may be, I have heard of amp failures with the Seatons and being as you are in Dubai, getting a replacement will require cost and logistics issues which make that risk a factor to be considered.
This is THE reason I stopped looking at Cats and will now be getting JTR 212RT when I buy later this summer. I have a SubM and can certainly attest to the quality of product that Seaton makes. But it can be exceedingly difficult to get a hold of Mark. Just take a brief look through the Seaton thread and you'll notice a repeating pattern of people unable to get a hold of Mark by any method (phone / email / PM) for an extensive period of time. The excuse for this is how busy he is as a one man shop with a great product. So you, as the consumer, need to decide if it's worth the risk.

I, for one, do not want to spend the amount of money I'm putting down to build a home theater - only to have it unusable for months at a time because one of the amps went out on a Catalyst speaker and now I have to deal with the hassle of getting it replaced - which, based on others feedback on AVS, is no easy or quick task.
post #37010 of 37015 Old Today, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're going to make everyone jealous. Any other upgrades planned?

Selling the MBMs, are you going to a more conventional Atmos receiver?
Maybe later...taking it one step at a time. But it does give me a little more flexibility later on.
post #37011 of 37015 Old Today, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Also, the "sounds great" part only applies to the Ax1 series. The Ax2 series doesn't have much power and the other amps are run of the mill.
That is the exact reason that I held onto my 2205A and use four of the five channels for my ATMOS speakers. I may get another A51 in the future to replace the 2205A.
post #37012 of 37015 Old Today, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
It's about time someone around here had the cojones to say F it, I'm going Bose ...
They could be mightly powerful if he just covered every square inch of his theater with them =)
post #37013 of 37015 Old Today, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
That is the exact reason that I held onto my 2205A and use four of the five channels for my ATMOS speakers. I may get another A51 in the future to replace the 2205A.
I think the 5125/5250 ones may be better suited for Atmos duty, since they are cheaper and more efficient than the A51 or 2205. They don't sound as nice as the A51, but it probably isn't worth the extra money and heat for Atmos. I think they may have better SNR than the 2205s, too. Of course, if you just want everything to match, I can understand that.
BassMojo likes this.
post #37014 of 37015 Old Today, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I think the 5125/5250 ones may be better suited for Atmos duty, since they are cheaper and more efficient than the A51 or 2205. They don't sound as nice as the A51, but it probably isn't worth the extra money and heat for Atmos. I think they may have better SNR than the 2205s, too. Of course, if you just want everything to match, I can understand that.
Thanks for the suggestion. I would consider the 5250 instead of the 2205A for my Atmos duty. I just watched Hacksaw Ridge (great movie) and the 2205 got pretty warm where the A51 & A21 stayed luke warm at most.
post #37015 of 37015 Unread Today, 11:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I would consider the 5250 instead of the 2205A for my Atmos duty. I just watched Hacksaw Ridge (great movie) and the 2205 got pretty warm where the A51 & A21 stayed luke warm at most.
Never mind. It looks like they don't even make those anymore. Well anyway, my remaining point is just to consider your AC capacity before getting a stack of A51s. There are lots of efficient amps out there that are fine for Atmos. If the heat and money aren't a concern, I'm sure that the A51 can do the job nicely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis