Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1242 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8204Likes
post #37231 of 37234 Unread Today, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
I LOL'd, me thinks you should quote this in your sig

For me, and my wife, and mother who recently is staying with us think my tall refrigerator subs look good. And soon to be basically same height slightly smaller fridges I guess my wife is just more like me? I honestly think these plain black tall boxes look good in room. Maybe I'm just different but a wall of sound is my idea of pleasing visually...

The 212RT is a new speaker Jeff just designed based off of a dual 12" pro audio woofer he just released (pics on FB) IT is tuned to 38hz just like the 210RT but will be bigger and taller and MTM config like the 215RT I think We don't have any pics yet but are eagerly awaiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Not Peter, but room modes are somewhat unpredictable with respect to sub placement. A single Cap 4000, or Cap 2400, could potentially function perfectly well in the situation you describe, with audibly good frequency response. (Measurably better frequency response will not always correspond to audible improvements.) So, if this is not a hypothetical question, an individual could try a single powerful sub to see what happens. I would recommend a Cap 2400, in this case, though.

If no single position along the front wall resulted in an acceptable frequency response, you could then try adding a second identical sub. Sometimes two subs on the same wall yields definite improvements in FR, and sometimes not as much. But, if the second sub did yield an improved FR, the combined output of the two Cap 2400's would approximately equal (+/- a db or two) the Cap 4000 at every frequency except 10Hz. And, room gain should help a lot at that frequency. So, that would be a very good solution, in my opinion.

Regards,
Mike
Mike, this is very informative. I was of the belief that dual was better than one powerful in all cases i.e. cannot go wrong with duals. I guess if I read carefully you are confirming that is the case? I realize its a very generic statement above since it does not speak to all the variables of which some could be better and some not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37232 of 37234 Unread Today, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2887 Post(s)
Liked: 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Mike, this is very informative. I was of the belief that dual was better than one powerful in all cases i.e. cannot go wrong with duals. I guess if I read carefully you are confirming that is the case? I realize its a very generic statement above since it does not speak to all the variables of which some could be better and some not

Thanks! I think that I would nearly always prefer duals over a single sub, if the overall output were reasonably equivalent. First, there would be a better chance of an improved frequency response with duals, although that does depend somewhat on placement. And second, I like the enhanced sense of bass envelopment that occurs when low bass sounds and tactile sensations come from more than one direction.

As good as the Cap 4000 ULF is, I believe that I would take two Cap 2400's, in preference to one Cap 4000, ten times out of ten. Of course, that would also be a more expensive solution.

Regards,
Mike
post #37233 of 37234 Unread Today, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Thanks! I think that I would nearly always prefer duals over a single sub, if the overall output were reasonably equivalent. First, there would be a better chance of an improved frequency response with duals, although that does depend somewhat on placement. And second, I like the enhanced sense of bass envelopment that occurs when low bass sounds and tactile sensations come from more than one direction.

As good as the Cap 4000 ULF is, I believe that I would take two Cap 2400's, in preference to one Cap 4000, ten times out of ten. Of course, that would also be a more expensive solution.

Regards,
Mike

I will be in the same situation soon asking for some recommendations based on my room. Very appreciative of having people like yourself around who are willing to help and share knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mthomas47 likes this.

post #37234 of 37234 Unread Today, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:

Regards,
Mike
Most of us here at the JTR thread would just get 2 4000 ulfs

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis