Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1262 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8644Likes

post #37831 of 37834 Old 09-15-2017, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
Is there any particular trick to setting up a phantom center?
If you have a symmetrical room, speaker placement, and sidewalls, and have a centered listening position, the phantom center should be virtually perfect. With Dirac enabled, I honestly can't tell of the center speaker is on or off, unless I'm sitting off-axis.

So, I'd say the trick is to keep everything symmetrical.

When things are asymmetrical or you're sitting off axis, it's easy to tell the difference. In those cases, the center channel can help a lot.
HTPCat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37832 of 37834 Old 09-15-2017, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I have two infinite baffle manifolds - one in the front left corner and one in the front right corner of my room. Each manifold has 4 Acoustic Elegance IB15 woofers. With the IB manifolds and the 215RT's, I have 14 15" woofers!

When I got the 215RT's, I disconnected my IB system and have been routing all bass to the LCR. I use JRiver Media Center to copy the LFE channel to the LCR. Output the LFE channel from 3 separate channels results in a 9.54 dB gain of the LFE channel which is very close to the 10 dB requirement. Adding .46 dB to the LFE prior to adding to each channel results in a 10.002 dB overall gain for the LFE channel.

Tonight or tomorrow I'm reconnecting the IB system because I have someone coming over tomorrow afternoon for a demo. With the IB system in place, I'll only send the LFE to the IB system and send redirected bass from surrounds to the mains. I'll be able to switch back and forth for comparison.

For two channel, I can do three things with just the 215RT's:
  1. Play regular stereo
  2. Copy the bass from L/R to the center with the copied bass from each channel attenuated 6 dB (each speaker outputs same SPL)
  3. Put a 80 Hz high pass on L/R , combine bass from L/R, attenuate by 3.5 dB, route bass back to LCR

I think 1 or 2 are the best options. 2 sounds a little weightier since you are getting a 3.54 dB gain in the bass.

The bass from the 215RT's and the infinite baffle system sound very close. I really haven't spent any time switching back and forth, though. I wanted to really do some extended listing with the 215RT's before using the IB system again. I listen almost every night, but like to spend weeks (months?) with the same system before starting to compare.
Thanks, that is impressive. I am considering selling my LCR 212 originals and purchasing a pair of 215s. I would eventually get another when I build the theater (garage conversion in a year or so), but a center won't fit behind AT screen now. I love the idea of having full range Mains for 2 channel music, but I am unsure if I could let go of my subs for movies I guess only one way to know.
BassMojo likes this.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
post #37833 of 37834 Old 09-15-2017, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
Thanks, that is impressive. I am considering selling my LCR 212 originals and purchasing a pair of 215s. I would eventually get another when I build the theater (garage conversion in a year or so), but a center won't fit behind AT screen now. I love the idea of having full range Mains for 2 channel music, but I am unsure if I could let go of my subs for movies I guess only one way to know.
EXACTLY HTPCat! I like that way that you think. If I go with 215RTs (and maybe a 215RM for center duty), I would keep my Cap 1400 and most likely place it in the rear (near field) for some added bass and smoothing.

post #37834 of 37834 Old 09-17-2017, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quick question, New JTR speaker owner here. It's totally normal to hug and kiss your JTR speakers before going to bed every night right? Needless to say I'm in absolute love with these things 😄🔉🔉🔉 🔉🔉🤗
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9423.JPG (1.38 MB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9429.JPG (1.11 MB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9422.JPG (1.27 MB, 41 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page