Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1263 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8657Likes

post #37861 of 37863 Old Today, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
The 212RT is not a tower version of the 212HTR. It has completely different woofers that are used in the Captivator 212-Pro. The 212RT is tuned a little lower than the 212-Pro. The 212RT and 212HTR will have different roll off and phase response in the bass.

I don't like horizontal center speakers. Since you are using a 65" TV, I would recommend a JTR Slanted 8HT-LP above the TV and two Single 8HT-LP located with their centers about 18" down from the center speaker. Mount the 3 speakers and TV so they are even with the front cut out. Frame in the TV and and cut out and cover with acoustically transparent speaker grill cloth or similar. Your TV will then float on a black wall with concealed speakers behind it. With an 80 Hz XO to a pair of JTR subwoofers, your front sound stage will have excellent dialogue intelligibility, smooth panning, and great dynamics.
Don't all the RT vs RM speakers have different rolloff and phase response in the bass high pass filter?
Perhaps not different woofers, though.

That said, I agree that 3 matching speakers is ideal.
Since the ultimate destination was going to be an AT screen, and he plans to run subs, perhaps 3x 212HTR would be a good compromise.
While running a center 212HTR horizontal isn't as good as running 3 vertical, the coaxial mid-tweeter should be as good as any horizontal speaker.

While the S8s are reportedly excellent, no one has put them in the same league as 212s.
If the placing a speaker below the TV was the long term plan, that's a really good point about 3xS8s vs better but non-optimal LCRs (non matched and/or horizontal center.)
But it's not the long term plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37862 of 37863 Old Today, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Has anyone ever used 228HTs for surround duty over Slant 8HTs?

What about a 5.1 or 7.1 setup using nothing but 212HTs or 228HTs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The S8s have a wider dispersion which is ideal for surround and ceiling speakers.
IMO, that's the best way to go. Matching high end LCRs + matching coaxes for surround and ceiling.
The surround and ceiling speakers don't need quite as much output capability as the LCRs, as long as they are close enough to keep up (which the S8s are designed to do.)
The only other great alternative would be something like 215RTs all around without subs, which isn't practical for most rooms.
post #37863 of 37863 Old Today, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
The S8s have a wider dispersion which is ideal for surround and ceiling speakers.
IMO, that's the best way to go. Matching high end LCRs + matching coaxes for surround and ceiling.
The surround and ceiling speakers don't need quite as much output capability as the LCRs, as long as they are close enough to keep up (which the S8s are designed to do.)
The only other great alternative would be something like 215RTs all around without subs, which isn't practical for most rooms.
It's funny you mention that.

I was thinking of going:

L - 212RT
C - 212HTR
R - 212RT
LSR - 212RT
RSR - 212RT

OR

L - 212RT
C - 212HTR
R - 212RT
LSR - S8
RSR - S8
BSR - S8
BSR - S8

95% Movies/Game, with very little music.

Thinking I may actually go the 5.1 route (I don't really want speakers with stands, or putting holes in my walls), for now, and upgrade to 7.1 later on.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page