Señor Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Hey BD.

RMK! is the guy I was referring to who went from Revel Ultima's to JTR so he would be a good person to ask as to the differences between what he heard. You can actually click on his HT Build thread link as well to get more info.

If I am not mistaken he also knows the guy who went from Aerial's to JTR then Seaton sound.

All true ... but I am biased ... I don't do 50/50 music/HT listening. I did audition the Sig 8's before buying the Revels and I preferred the Revels by a good bit. I thought the Paradigms were comparable to my Monitor Audio GR 60's and the Revels were a step up in sound quality (and price ).

If my use was predominately music, I would still have the Revels. I wanted the big dynamics that the JTR's produce without giving up much if anything on concert videos.

It may be a tired old cliche but ... horses for courses.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 26438 Old 03-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I am 50/50 music/home theater, but I kept hearing that the Triple 12's will sound just as good as an audiophile speaker for music. Is this true?
post #3783 of 26438 Old 03-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

I am 50/50 music/home theater, but I kept hearing that the Triple 12's will sound just as good as an audiophile speaker for music. Is this true?

As stated above, if my use was music at polite volumes, in a single seat, I would still have the Revels. For me, any tradeoff in subjective sound quality was minimal. You may not agree.

I am not trying to be vague, just honest. What is true for me may not be true for you. I had the luxury of hearing the JTR's before I bought them. Then, I was able to compare them to my Revels. That gave me the information I needed to make a decision that to this day, I do not regret.

BTW, regardless of your speaker choice, get the 12ga wire ...

HToM

post #3784 of 26438 Old 03-23-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
BD,

I was just referring to using the JTR's or Seatons as on the 80.3 thread you had mentioned reference levels. To me there is a difference playing reference levels on say my Von Schweikerts than say the high efficiency designs of the JTR's or Seatons.

If I was just to have 1 system then it would be the Von Schweikerts but then again I NEVER play my system at reference levels, in fact I have it locked at -10 from reference to make sure no one turns it up that high. As RMK stated "if my use was music at polite volumes, in a single seat, I would still have the Revels" the same goes for me but I could definitely go with some JTR's or Seatons if I had to have an all in one system.

I was just trying to put out another option for you besides the Aerials as I know they will play reference levels but they won't like doing it. They also won't sound as good playing reference levels as JTR or Seatons unless your in a small room and sitting close.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #3785 of 26438 Old 03-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

As stated above, if my use was music at polite volumes, in a single seat, I would still have the Revels. For me, any tradeoff in subjective sound quality was minimal. You may not agree.

I am not trying to be vague, just honest. What is true for me may not be true for you. I had the luxury of hearing the JTR's before I bought them. Then, I was able to compare them to my Revels. That gave me the information I needed to make a decision that to this day, I do not regret.

I'll be getting the 12 AWG wire. If I'm spending this much on the gear, what's 150 bucks for the wire, even if it's just in my head. I like the peace of mind lol.

Now, I like to rock out. Whenever I watch a concert DVD or movie, I always crank it to -5 on my Marantz (which is the loudest it will go before sounding "strained") But occasionally I do like to pop in a CD and listen to some B.B King and such at not such a high volume. Still loud enough with some feeling and soul in it, but not shaking the pillars of hell, if that makes any sense.

Here's an example of where I was getting at. One of my favorite concert DVD's is the Eagles Hell freezes over. First song being Hotel California with an Acoustic guitar opening. I like to crank this, as I do most things, but I like being able to hear the details like the power behind each pluck of the guitar string, and the sound to have the texture behind it with clarity. My current speakers are Paradigm Monitor 7 v3s and I find they do this pretty damn well, especially for their price. I'm just hoping the JTR Triple 12's would be able to do this also and hope they aren't just all about brute power. That's why I want to audition them so bad, but can't find anybody around me that owns them willing to give me an audition or even a quick listen.

Jeff still hasn't responded to my e-mail about finding me a possible audition either. This is like mission impossible lol
post #3786 of 26438 Old 03-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

BD,

I was just referring to using the JTR's or Seatons as on the 80.3 thread you had mentioned reference levels. To me there is a difference playing reference levels on say my Von Schweikerts than say the high efficiency designs of the JTR's or Seatons.

If I was just to have 1 system then it would be the Von Schweikerts but then again I NEVER play my system at reference levels, in fact I have it locked at -10 from reference to make sure no one turns it up that high. As RMK stated "if my use was music at polite volumes, in a single seat, I would still have the Revels" the same goes for me but I could definitely go with some JTR's or Seatons if I had to have an all in one system.

I was just trying to put out another option for you besides the Aerials as I know they will play reference levels but they won't like doing it. They also won't sound as good playing reference levels as JTR or Seatons unless your in a small room and sitting close.

It's hard to have all in one, the best of both worlds isn't it lol. I want both. I suppose I can keep my current Marantz receiver and Paradigm Monitor 7 v3's with PW 2200 for polite music listening. But then again, I was looking to upgrade that system also for more clarity as well as SPL.

Maybe this will be help. Once I hooked up my blu ray player to my mobile DJ system (Pioneer DJM-700 mixer to 2 JBL PRX618S-XLF's and 2 JBL PRX615m's) and listened to a couple of songs on the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame concert DVD, and was blown away by how huge and live it sounded. The kick drum you felt slamming you, everything just sounded so huge and in your face, it was awesome. I thought it embarrassed the hell out of my home theater system. Only thing was when acoustic guitar came in. It just didn't sound as natural. I don't know if that's due to the compression drivers, or the horn design. I know the Triple 12HT's use a compression driver, but no horn. Maybe that will prove to make for better sounding acoustical instrument sound reproduction.
post #3787 of 26438 Old 03-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Señor Member

Quote:

I'll be getting the 12 AWG wire. If I'm spending this much on the gear, what's 150 bucks for the wire, even if it's just in my head. I like the peace of mind lol.

Now, I like to rock out. Whenever I watch a concert DVD or movie, I always crank it to -5 on my Marantz (which is the loudest it will go before sounding "strained") But occasionally I do like to pop in a CD and listen to some B.B King and such at not such a high volume. Still loud enough with some feeling and soul in it, but not shaking the pillars of hell, if that makes any sense.

Here's an example of where I was getting at. One of my favorite concert DVD's is the Eagles Hell freezes over. First song being Hotel California with an Acoustic guitar opening. I like to crank this, as I do most things, but I like being able to hear the details like the power behind each pluck of the guitar string, and the sound to have the texture behind it with clarity. My current speakers are Paradigm Monitor 7 v3s and I find they do this pretty damn well, especially for their price. I'm just hoping the JTR Triple 12's would be able to do this also and hope they aren't just all about brute power. That's why I want to audition them so bad, but can't find anybody around me that owns them willing to give me an audition or even a quick listen.

Jeff still hasn't responded to my e-mail about finding me a possible audition either. This is like mission impossible lol

One of my favorite concert music disks is the Eagles Farewell Tour HD-DVD @ Rod Laver Staduim in Melbourne. The DTS Multi Channel mix makes good use of the surround channels and the acoustic set (guitar and vocals) sounds as good with the Triple12's as any speaker I have owned. I also have other high rez audio recordings (SACD-DVD-A) that are acoustic. I listen to these at normal (realistic) levels and they sound great so yes, I like the JTR's for music.

But the reason I bought them was so that when the 737 in the movie Knowing passes over head with the engines screaming, hits the power lines and and then crashes ... I feel like I am there. No other loudspeaker I have heard can do as good a job of making that experience incredibly realistic.

HToM

post #3788 of 26438 Old 03-23-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Only thing was when acoustic guitar came in. It just didn't sound as natural. I don't know if that's due to the compression drivers, or the horn design. I know the Triple 12HT's use a compression driver, but no horn. Maybe that will prove to make for better sounding acoustical instrument sound reproduction.

I am not an Audiophile by any means nor am I big into "critical listening" but I honestly feel my JTR sealed T8's are excellent with acoustic stuff. I actually think its one of their strong points and prefer it over the few other speakers I've auditioned over the years.
post #3789 of 26438 Old 03-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One of my favorite concert music disks is the Eagles Farewell Tour HD-DVD @ Rod Laver Staduim in Melbourne. The DTS Multi Channel mix makes good use of the surround channels and the acoustic set (guitar and vocals) sounds as good with the Triple12's as any speaker I have owned. I also have other high rez audio recordings (SACD-DVD-A) that are acoustic. I listen to these at normal (realistic) levels and they sound great so yes, I like the JTR's for music.

But the reason I bought them was so that when the 737 in the movie Knowing passes over head with the engines screaming, hits the power lines and and then crashes ... I feel like I am there. No other loudspeaker I have heard can do as good a job of making that experience incredibly realistic.

I think me smiling while reading your last paragraph alone is a sign that I'm really liking the sound of these JTR's lmao (no pun intended).

I have the Eagles Farewell tour on DVD also. I was at that concert in person actually Not in Melbourne of course, at Nassau Coliseum here on Long Island lol, but it was awesome non the less
post #3790 of 26438 Old 03-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Señor Member

Quote:

I think me smiling while reading your last paragraph alone is a sign that I'm really liking the sound of these JTR's lmao (no pun intended).

I have the Eagles Farewell tour on DVD also. I was at that concert in person actually Not in Melbourne of course, at Nassau Coliseum here on Long Island lol, but it was awesome non the less

You're lucky you got to attend that concert. They were at the top of their game. I have Hell Freezes Over on CD but the audio on the HD-DVD disk is one of the best concert recordings I have ever heard. Too bad they haven't done that one in Bluray I will continue to enjoy it as long as my Toshiba HD-DVD player holds out.

HToM

post #3791 of 26438 Old 03-23-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

I use nothing but http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=100-029 for all my JTR speakers.
post #3792 of 26438 Old 03-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

lol nice. I'd use that wire in a second, but that's not meant for in wall is it?

Yeah it was a great concert. I like Hell freezes over for the way they performed some songs, and other songs I prefer their farewell tour.
post #3793 of 26438 Old 03-23-2012, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

I am not an Audiophile by any means nor am I big into "critical listening" but I honestly feel my JTR sealed T8's are excellent with acoustic stuff. I actually think its one of their strong points and prefer it over the few other speakers I've auditioned over the years.

I will second this.

I've had my sealed triple 8s for a few weeks now. When I first got them, I ran Audyssey which set them to large for some reason, which I changed. I was very impressed with the clarity and detail I was hearing with music, things I never heard before. Generally these speakers seemed very neutral/uncolored. Oddly the only time I got any notion of that "pro audio" kind of sound, a bit of sharpness at times, was when I was listening to CD's in 2 channel stereo. I didn't get that effect with multi channel.

After a couple of weeks of listening I ran Audyssey again; this time it set all speakers to small. I also found after that the "edge" I heard with two channel stereo was gone. I had also had fiddled with speaker placement and toeing in, which along with break in, may have affected the results.

I use my system for both HT and music, music probably 75% of the time, and am very pleased with these. I've never had what would be considered "audiophile" speakers in my home, but as part of my research auditioned some prior to buying these. Also hearing from other people who have had Revels, Vandersteens, etc prior to using these and how how satisfied they were, got me to take the plunge.

The only thing I'd suggest is to match these with "musical" subs capable of sufficent output to meet your HT needs; these are not full range speakers and to pair them with lower tier subs would be a waste, in my opinion.
post #3794 of 26438 Old 03-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder if the T12's would have the same/similar fidelity as the sealed 8's with music like you guys are experiencing.

I was going to match them with at least 2 Submersive HP's. I'm sure they would suffice lol. I hear they are quite musical. I'd like 4 SubM HP's total, but that's if Audyssey can probably calibrate 4 subs.
post #3795 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't know how Paradigm Monitor V3s compare to V5s, but I upgraded from Monitor 11 V5s and the 12HT-LPs own them in every way, shape, and form... HT and music.
post #3796 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 02:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Still loving my triple 8 lps...best speakers I've ever owned.

post #3797 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEXXD View Post

I don't know how Paradigm Monitor V3s compare to V5s, but I upgraded from Monitor 11 V5s and the 12HT-LPs own them in every way, shape, and form... HT and music.

The V3s to my ears, sound better then any version after it, except for the v7, which I have NOT heard yet. I have heard every other version. The other versions are able to play louder, and have more authoritative bass, but for overall clarity, I love my monitors.
post #3798 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

I wonder if the T12's would have the same/similar fidelity as the sealed 8's with music like you guys are experiencing.

I was going to match them with at least 2 Submersive HP's. I'm sure they would suffice lol. I hear they are quite musical. I'd like 4 SubM HP's total, but that's if Audyssey can probably calibrate 4 subs.

IMO the T12's sound a bit different, the mid bass is more pronounced and fuller, at least to me and I have both the 12's and the 8's. I'm telling ya man, the 12's are really something special. I would love to try the seaton cat's and the 12's side by side

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #3799 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 11:58 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

I have 4 SubMersive HP's and 7 T12HT-LP's in a ~4,300 CF room.

Mark
post #3800 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 12:02 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

IMO the T12's sound a bit different, the mid bass is more pronounced and fuller, at least to me and I have both the 12's and the 8's. I'm telling ya man, the 12's are really something special. I would love to try the seaton cat's and the 12's side by side

I have the T12HT-LP's, and live in Chicago, as does Mark Seaton. Hmmm...

Mark
post #3801 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Mark

WOW! I think if I had that in my room, everybody in the room would probably liquify from the sound lol.

4 Submersive HP's!!!! That would be awesome, but would Audyssey have a problem calibrating 4 subs?
post #3802 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You guys are sucking me in lol. The way you guys marvel over the benefits of these speakers for home theater are making it very hard to resist. Even if it's not exactly what I want for music, the price is good enough that if needed, I'll just get a separate 2 channel music system.
post #3803 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:

I have the T12HT-LP's, and live in Chicago, as does Mark Seaton. Hmmm...

Mark

I thought Mark moved his speaker manufacturing to either Wisconsin or Minnesota year or two ago?

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #3804 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Mark

3 Submersive HP's and 3 Quintuples, 6 Triple 8's in a 6000+ cu ft open room. Mid range bass is incredible!
post #3805 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

I thought Mark moved his speaker manufacturing to either Wisconsin or Minnesota year or two ago?

It was Jeff that moved to Wisconsin, not Mark.

HToM

post #3806 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Oh thanks RMK...SHOOT I could of drove to Chitown only around 1 1/2 hours from my house to audition and purchase.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #3807 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

You guys are sucking me in lol. The way you guys marvel over the benefits of these speakers for home theater are making it very hard to resist. Even if it's not exactly what I want for music, the price is good enough that if needed, I'll just get a separate 2 channel music system.

It's for sure a gamble, what we love doesn't mean you'll love it to. I took the gamble and as far as audio is concerned, it was the biggest and best move I've ever made. I though going from the studio 100's to the S8's was a big jump in performance and SQ, these had my jaw on the floor!

For music only, I really like my Single 8's and my subs playing. Blackdevil you should post and see if someone lives near you that has a JTR setup. So far, I've had 13 guests and counting come to demo my JTR stuff and every single one of them bought JTR gear. That's got to count for something. I even had a guy drive from 8 hours away just to have a listen. He bough 3 T12's that day lol

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #3808 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's for sure a gamble, what we love doesn't mean you'll love it to. I took the gamble and as far as audio is concerned, it was the biggest and best move I've ever made. I though going from the studio 100's to the S8's was a big jump in performance and SQ, these had my jaw on the floor!

For music only, I really like my Single 8's and my subs playing. Blackdevil you should post and see if someone lives near you that has a JTR setup. So far, I've had 13 guests and counting come to demo my JTR stuff and every single one of them bought JTR gear. That's got to count for something. I even had a guy drive from 8 hours away just to have a listen. He bough 3 T12's that day lol

Lmao I am trying to find someone, I e-mailed Jeff but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. If there is ANYONE on the East Coast, near Long Island that wouldn't mind giving me an audition, PLEASE pm me!

What your telling me is very confidence inspiring lol. I know what I like and I'm sure I'll love the JTR's. The only question in my mind is if I'll live them if I'm in the quiet, Jazz, or blues music type of mood, and want complete clarity, transparency, accuracy and realism lol.
post #3809 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Something came to mind I actually forgot about. you guys using the JTR set-up, what speakers are you using for surrounds? I'm guessing the slanted 8's are intended to be the surround speakers? If I were to do a 7.2 set up, should I get 2 slanted 8's for the sides, and 2 triple 8HT's for the rear? Or slanted 8's all around would be good?

Also, wouldn't the slanted 8's, not being as efficient, and being an 8 ohm speaker wouldn't receive the same amount of power as the other 4 ohm speakers, so wouldn't they get sort of drowned out, if you will?
post #3810 of 26438 Old 03-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
how hard is it to move the coax to the top on the t8. Got them a month ago and had in mind of keeping the t8's as left and right and now thinkin, going with t12's for the front and moving t8's to the side surrounds but must have the coax on the top do it...can an inexperience person who has never seen the inards of a speaker be able to do it? Thanks
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page