Official JTR speaker thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 26079 Old 10-01-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,757
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 510
It will be interesting to hear how the captivators blend the the Danleys. Also, the comparison will be fun. How are the new Captivators different from the originals which were tuned to 12 hz and had some major power and size.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
MKtheater is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 26079 Old 10-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,060
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

It will be interesting to hear how the captivators blend the the Danleys. Also, the comparison will be fun. How are the new Captivators different from the originals which were tuned to 12 hz and had some major power and size.

It will be interesting (fun) to see if we can get them to work well together. I've had quad subs in the room before and liked the results. I'm hoping the front position Captivators will help even out the bass response for the 2nd row seats without losing the nice flat response in the front row.

Not much info out there on the original Captivators but the new unit is smaller and tuned higher (-3db point is 15hz). They should go a little deeper than the TH-SPUD's and the bandpass design should provide clean output for music. A bonus will be more impact bass for HT.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is offline  
post #363 of 26079 Old 10-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
bodhisafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 39046
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I can't wait to read the ridiculous impressions about the Captivator, besides seing it on youtube and JTR forum thats all the info that is out there about this beast.

RMK you are about to become a wealthy man because those Caps. are going to spew out solid gold!!!
bodhisafa is offline  
post #364 of 26079 Old 10-01-2009, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Would an Rocket RSC200 by av-123 be a decent center for Triple 8's or would a phantom be better?
goonstopher is offline  
post #365 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
bioforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Would an Rocket RSC200 by av-123 be a decent center for Triple 8's or would a phantom be better?

With your professed set up, you would be better served to go "Phantom" until you can save up for a T8 Center.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
bioforce is offline  
post #366 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gpmbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,431
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Would an Rocket RSC200 by av-123 be a decent center for Triple 8's or would a phantom be better?

There is a good deal for a pair of 888s in the classifieds. Maybe the seller will split them up if that would help your decision to go matched across the front.
gpmbc is offline  
post #367 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Are JTR warranty's transferable? I still could not do matched across the front (I have no right doing any upgrades right now and am limited by selling my paradigm set up) but I would be closer.
goonstopher is offline  
post #368 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
orcarola25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

There is a good deal for a pair of 888s in the classifieds. Maybe the seller will split them up if that would help your decision to go matched across the front.

Just so you know those are 2009 t8s. They are not the new ones
orcarola25 is offline  
post #369 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Senior Member
 
orcarola25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Never mind. I was referring to the ones on audiogon.
orcarola25 is offline  
post #370 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yeah I only want the new ones, the ones on here are 2010's I think. I am exploring options but I can't believe my paradigms aren't selling already.
goonstopher is offline  
post #371 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
SeaNile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chadds Ford, PA
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had the best stereo experience with my JTR Triple 12LF's the other day. I was looking through my CD's and found Dark Side of the Moon remixed in 5.1. I remember buying it but never being impressed with it, until the other day. The Onkyo pre/pro went to "multichannel" and the sound was amazing. I have never heard such a loud, clear and effortless performance by a system, in particular the JTR's. I am sure my Paradigm PW-2100 sub and rear B&W DM603s needed a break after the album was over. Might not have been the best "audio" 2.0, etc, performance but for me it was the most impressive display from a system I have ever heard. Others may not have liked it (like the neighbors) but I certainly did. These speakers are awesome.

Although I don't use the setup and PJ often enough I can't help but wonder what my next upgrade would be...Submersive or Growler? More power (using XPA-5)? Fun to think about...

--JK
SeaNile is offline  
post #372 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,757
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 510
I personally don't think a home multichannel amp will be worth it. These speakers like power and if want to actually hear a difference I would look into pro amps with much more power. The emo you mentioned is 300 watts per channel where a pro amp(even cheap one) will give you over 4 dB's of headroom(from the emo) and let the speakers sing without any strain from the amp. It just gives you that confidence. Now having said that a multichannel will work, it depends on the level you listen at. I always watch movies at reference levels so having an amp or 7 makes me know the amps won't clip.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
MKtheater is online now  
post #373 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jedirun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Yeah I only want the new ones, the ones on here are 2010's I think. I am exploring options but I can't believe my paradigms aren't selling already.


Yes the ones on here are the new ones. I would jump on those and then wait on the center channel. I think you will be better off with 2 matched fronts than having a different center channel, even if it is a good one.
Jedirun is offline  
post #374 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jedirun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

I had the best stereo experience with my JTR Triple 12LF's the other day. I was looking through my CD's and found Dark Side of the Moon remixed in 5.1. I remember buying it but never being impressed with it, until the other day. The Onkyo pre/pro went to "multichannel" and the sound was amazing. I have never heard such a loud, clear and effortless performance by a system, in particular the JTR's. I am sure my Paradigm PW-2100 sub and rear B&W DM603s needed a break after the album was over. Might not have been the best "audio" 2.0, etc, performance but for me it was the most impressive display from a system I have ever heard. Others may not have liked it (like the neighbors) but I certainly did. These speakers are awesome.

Although I don't use the setup and PJ often enough I can't help but wonder what my next upgrade would be...Submersive or Growler? More power (using XPA-5)? Fun to think about...

--JK

I think the best upgrade would be to get a new sub or two. My guess is that you are not yet reaching the limits of the Emotiva amp. However, I would go with either a Captivator or a Submersive. Although the Growler is awesome from what I have heard. It is primarily designed for music which does not often reach below 40 hz. Since your sub would be used for both music and movies you would probably want the lower extension of the Captivator. Of course a Submersive would be fantastic as well.

I am pretty sure my next upgrade will be a Captivator, or an acoustically transparent screen, although I really like the menacing look of the Triple 8's out in the open. Now I just have to figure out where to put a captivator in my tiny garage.
Jedirun is offline  
post #375 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,086
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

so having an amp or 7 makes me know the amps won't clip.

Now that's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

However, I would go with either a Captivator or a Submersive. Although the Growler is awesome from what I have heard. It is primarily designed for music which does not often reach below 40 hz. Since your sub would be used for both music and movies you would probably want the lower extension of the Captivator. Of course a Submersive would be fantastic as well.

I'd agree that you should go with either a Captivator or Submersive, but if you were only using your setup for music I'd say get a growler for sure.
cmryan821 is offline  
post #376 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,086
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Guys, has anyone used Triple 8's for surrounds? I'm planning on replacing my surrounds(currently axiom qs8's) and I'd prefer to not wall mount this time if I can help it. So I wanted to know if Triple 8's for surrounds are completely overdoing it or not. If Jeff made a "Single 8" or "Bookshelf 8" I'd have already bought a pair. Anyways, I'd appreciate any help offered. Thanks guys.
cmryan821 is offline  
post #377 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jedirun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

Guys, has anyone used Triple 8's for surrounds? I'm planning on replacing my surrounds(currently axiom qs8's) and I'd prefer to not wall mount this time if I can help it. So I wanted to know if Triple 8's for surrounds are completely overdoing it or not. If Jeff made a "Single 8" or "Bookshelf 8" I'd have already bought a pair. Anyways, I'd appreciate any help offered. Thanks guys.

RMK! is using Triple 8's for surrounds and is loving them.

You could probably stand a stand a Slanted 8 on a bookshelf if you needed to. I think I saw a picture of one like that in the past.
Jedirun is offline  
post #378 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,060
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

RMK! is using Triple 8's for surrounds and is loving them.

Right on both counts. I actually wall mounted the Triple 8's and they really do make a difference with movies and multichannel music. My old surrounds were Revel in-wall's and although nice for an in-wall speaker, there is no comparison to the T8's.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is offline  
post #379 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
surap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I´ve also have triple 8s for surround. Now I have much fuller sound from behind me...

I am a firm believer of having the same speaker design both as fronts and surrounds.

Im living in a bubble of sound, and I like it!
surap is offline  
post #380 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,086
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Right on both counts. I actually wall mounted the Triple 8's and they really do make a difference with movies and multichannel music. My old surrounds were Revel in-wall's and although nice for an in-wall speaker, there is no comparison to the T8's.

And I was checking out your thread the day and I totally forgot that you had Triple 8's for surrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surap View Post

I´ve also have triple 8s for surround. Now I have much fuller sound from behind me...

I am a firm believer of having the same speaker design both as fronts and surrounds.

Im living in a bubble of sound, and I like it!

Alright, this is really encouraging. RMK, why did you choose to add Slanted 8's for surround back channels? Were the Triple 8's deficient in some way or was it simply the next logical step? I only ask because my setup is likely to remain a 5.1 or 5.2 and if I was going to drop the cash for Triple 8's for surrounds I want to be sure they're everything I expect they'll be.

Surap, are the Triple 8's your only surround speakers or do you also have surround back speakers?

Thanks for the help guys.
cmryan821 is offline  
post #381 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,060
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

And I was checking out your thread the day and I totally forgot that you had Triple 8's for surrounds.



Alright, this is really encouraging. RMK, why did you choose to add Slanted 8's for surround back channels? Were the Triple 8's deficient in some way or was it simply the next logical step? I only ask because my setup is likely to remain a 5.1 or 5.2 and if I was going to drop the cash for Triple 8's for surrounds I want to be sure they're everything I expect they'll be.

Surap, are the Triple 8's your only surround speakers or do you also have surround back speakers?

Thanks for the help guys.

Your expectations aside, there are no Triple 8 deficiencies (other than the Linex finish . I prefer the size of the Slanted 8’s as on-wall surrounds plus, there is so little 7.1 source material out there it seemed like overkill to use the T8’s for the occasional SB duty.

There is an AVS member who is using 7 Revel Ultima II Salons ($22K per pair) in his 7.1 system and even ol Kal Rubinson is using 5 B&W 800’s for his multichannel rig. Now that is overkill ...

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is offline  
post #382 of 26079 Old 10-02-2009, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,086
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Your expectations aside, there are no Triple 8 deficiencies (other than the Linex finish . I prefer the size of the Slanted 8's as on-wall surrounds plus, there is so little 7.1 source material out there it seemed like overkill to use the T8's for the occasional SB duty.

Ok, now I understand. I was just a little curious as to why you would want to add anything for surround duty after you already had the Triple 8's. Looks like I'll be grabbing a pair pretty soon. I really appreciate the help and best of luck integrating your Captivators. Should be a truly arduous task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

There is an AVS member who is using 7 Revel Ultima II Salons ($22K per pair) in his 7.1 system and even ol Kal Rubinson is using 5 B&W 800's for his multichannel rig. Now that is overkill ...

Dear God!
cmryan821 is offline  
post #383 of 26079 Old 10-03-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dholmes54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton, Kentucky
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I love my new 12s ht but I think my room might be too small,when i do a spk level with slp meter to get 75 db my Integra only lets me set the level to -12 which has the level on the meter at 100db.My room is 2400 cf,I guess its no big deal,still like the impact of the 3 12s.
dholmes54 is offline  
post #384 of 26079 Old 10-03-2009, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,757
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Then you know that the MV at 0 is 25 db's over reference. If you have the MV at -25 it should be at reference. I have the same problem. Get amps that have gain knobs and you can turn down the gain that way if MV 0 needs to be reference.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
MKtheater is online now  
post #385 of 26079 Old 10-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,060
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

I love my new 12s ht but I think my room might be too small,when i do a spk level with slp meter to get 75 db my Integra only lets me set the level to -12 which has the level on the meter at 100db.My room is 2400 cf,I guess its no big deal,still like the impact of the 3 12s.

So you're saying that the Integra's speaker level test tones are measuring 100db @ -12 level setting (MV is irrelevant for speaker level settings) at the listening position .

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is offline  
post #386 of 26079 Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do you guys think Paradigm Studio 60 v3's would be good surrounds for Triple 8's? I am having a hard time selling them and for the price I think they would be good. My concern is they will be very close to the wall, I'd be lucky to get a foot behind them max
goonstopher is offline  
post #387 of 26079 Old 10-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,060
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Do you guys think Paradigm Studio 60 v3's would be good surrounds for Triple 8's? I am having a hard time selling them and for the price I think they would be good. My concern is they will be very close to the wall, I'd be lucky to get a foot behind them max

I used the Revel in-walls for surround duty for quite a while with the T12's. Most who heard this mis-matched combo thought they sounded fine. For HT, I doubt you will notice much difference. With multichannel music, it may be noticable but my guess is it will be acceptable. The LCR's do most of the heavy lifting.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is offline  
post #388 of 26079 Old 10-03-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
goonstopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ near NYC
Posts: 4,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I used the Revel in-walls for surround duty for quite a while with the T12's. Most who heard this mis-matched combo thought they sounded fine. For HT, I doubt you will notice much difference. With multichannel music, it may be noticable but my guess is it will be acceptable. The LCR's do most of the heavy lifting.

I can't afford LCR...Just L/R for now.
goonstopher is offline  
post #389 of 26079 Old 10-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,060
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I can't afford LCR...Just L/R for now.


Comments still apply.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is offline  
post #390 of 26079 Old 10-03-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dholmes54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton, Kentucky
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes Im getting 100db at listening position,which is 12 ft away,my amp is Ati 300 w x7
dholmes54 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off