Official JTR speaker thread - Page 137 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4081 of 21409 Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Blackdevil77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nassau County, Long Island, New York
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfeen View Post

Hi all,

This may be off topic, I have JTR 2012 Versions 888sealed.

They are running as LCR I am looking to get The Danley Mini for Sourrounds or JBLS

I have an issue with Hiss from the speakers and its getting worse at higher levels. I know its not the JTR its the Emotiva Amps Im using "UPA-1" Mono Blocks.

However, Just wanted some advise on which amps would be a better choice my AV is PR SC 5509 Onkyo.

I am Looking at either the ATI 3005 or Earthquake Cinenova Grande Which would work better?

I'm not to familiar with the Earthquake but I'd give the Outlaw 7900 some serious consideration also as long as you can afford it and power it. Outlaw is made by ATI so they are very similar.
Blackdevil77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4082 of 21409 Old 04-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
pennynike1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bassfeen,

I have personally heard JTR's being powered by Crown XLS 5000 amplifiers. They performed without any distortion. Crown amps may be worth some consideration, however, it is my understanding that fan noise may be a bit loud compared to other amps such as the Behringer 4000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfeen View Post

Hi all,

This may be off topic, I have JTR 2012 Versions 888sealed.

They are running as LCR I am looking to get The Danley Mini for Sourrounds or JBLS

I have an issue with Hiss from the speakers and its getting worse at higher levels. I know its not the JTR its the Emotiva Amps Im using "UPA-1" Mono Blocks.

However, Just wanted some advise on which amps would be a better choice my AV is PR SC 5509 Onkyo.

I am Looking at either the ATI 3005 or Earthquake Cinenova Grande Which would work better?

pennynike1 is offline  
post #4083 of 21409 Old 04-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
mookie b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfeen View Post

Hi all,

This may be off topic, I have JTR 2012 Versions 888sealed.

They are running as LCR I am looking to get The Danley Mini for Sourrounds or JBLS

I have an issue with Hiss from the speakers and its getting worse at higher levels. I know its not the JTR its the Emotiva Amps Im using "UPA-1" Mono Blocks.

However, Just wanted some advise on which amps would be a better choice my AV is PR SC 5509 Onkyo.

I am Looking at either the ATI 3005 or Earthquake Cinenova Grande Which would work better?

I used to have UPA-1s for my JTR sealed triple 8s...never had a hiss. Sounds like a cabling or processor issue.

mookie b is offline  
post #4084 of 21409 Old 04-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
dpc716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfeen View Post

Hi all,

This may be off topic, I have JTR 2012 Versions 888sealed.

They are running as LCR I am looking to get The Danley Mini for Sourrounds or JBLS

I have an issue with Hiss from the speakers and its getting worse at higher levels. I know its not the JTR its the Emotiva Amps Im using "UPA-1" Mono Blocks.

However, Just wanted some advise on which amps would be a better choice my AV is PR SC 5509 Onkyo.

I am Looking at either the ATI 3005 or Earthquake Cinenova Grande Which would work better?

Someone brought up this same issue a few pages back. Don't know if you saw it. Long story short make sure it's not a ground issue. It would be a shame to spend a lot of cash on a new amp and have it not be the problem.
dpc716 is offline  
post #4085 of 21409 Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Member
 
Sidewayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HUSKERLAND
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfeen View Post

Hi all,

This may be off topic, I have JTR 2012 Versions 888sealed.

They are running as LCR I am looking to get The Danley Mini for Sourrounds or JBLS

I have an issue with Hiss from the speakers and its getting worse at higher levels. I know its not the JTR its the Emotiva Amps Im using "UPA-1" Mono Blocks.

However, Just wanted some advise on which amps would be a better choice my AV is PR SC 5509 Onkyo.

I am Looking at either the ATI 3005 or Earthquake Cinenova Grande Which would work better?

Earthquake Cinenova amps are amazing!! From my experience they have power and dynamic headroom of Sunfire Signature amps with slightly better SQ IMHO.
Sidewayz is offline  
post #4086 of 21409 Old 04-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Member
 
Bassfeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK & Asia
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have sorted the ground loop. I grounded the Onkyo and the 2 Seaton Subs as they had deep hums at high volume. It's dead quiet now. The Amp Hiss when it's only connected to the UPA-1. The hiss is still evident even if I connect or disconnect the Processor.

Anyone using ATI 2000, they seem to have pure balanced amps at decent prices.

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
Bassfeen is offline  
post #4087 of 21409 Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Member
 
Bassfeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK & Asia
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BTW, Also added a ground loop isolator to the Cable line.

Indonesian Power Grid is of third world quality i would imagine its all interference. However i bealive the Emotiva are noisy amps to start with and dont mate with High sensitivity speakers such as the JTR.

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
Bassfeen is offline  
post #4088 of 21409 Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
quack724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfeen View Post

I have sorted the ground loop. I grounded the Onkyo and the 2 Seaton Subs as they had deep hums at high volume. It’s dead quiet now. The Amp Hiss when it’s only connected to the UPA-1. The hiss is still evident even if I connect or disconnect the Processor.

Anyone using ATI 2000, they seem to have pure balanced amps at decent prices.

Hi Bassfeen, how exactly did you ground your Onkyo and Subs?

I don't know if I have a grounding issue but .. I am getting hum when connecting my L & R 12HTs to an Odyssey Stratos Stereo amp. My center and surrounds are connected to a Sunfire Cinema Grand. I am using an Onkyo PR-SC885 processor. Both the Sunfire and Onkyo have a two prong plug and only the Odyssey has a grounded plug.

It's strange but I have found that I get no hum on the Sunfire when I use XLRs from the Onkyo to the Sunfire. But I *do* get hum when I use XLRs from the Onkyo to the Odyssey that I can hear from 13 ft away such that is intolerable. I still get hum when I use RCAs between the Onkyo and the Odyssey but it is reduced such that I need to be within maybe 2 to 3 ft to hear it and it's more tolerable.

I get no hum when the Odyssey has nothing but speaker wire connected (Onkyo disconnected from Odyssey).
quack724 is offline  
post #4089 of 21409 Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Senior Member
 
willscam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

None of the speakers mentioned are pretty . The Slanted 8's are fairly unobtrusive and can be mounted high enough that they disappear in a dark painted room. In-walls and or in-ceiling speakers would be a bad match and poor choice IMO.

Willscam has an all JTR 11.2 HT that is just about finished and is shaping up nicely.


Thanks RMK. But the theater is not "about finished". I still have seating riser to finish, false screen wall to build, mount projector, etc, etc... The list of things to do doesn't seem to be growing shorter very quickly.

And regarding the speakers not being pretty; I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just kidding. They're definitely function over form, but, as you know, they can be made pretty, you just have to pay extra for it.

Since all of my speakers, except the LCR, are going to be mounted out in the open, on the walls and ceiling, I actually like the standard matte black finish. It's durable and I expect the speakers to entirely disappear when the lights go down to watch a movie.


Right, Right Height, and Right Wide JTR speakers shown below without magnetic grills on.

My Left, Center, and Right speakers are T12HT, heights, side, and back are Slanted8HT, and wides are Single8HT.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfeen View Post

Hi all,

This may be off topic, I have JTR 2012 Versions 888sealed.

They are running as LCR I am looking to get The Danley Mini for Sourrounds or JBLS

I have an issue with Hiss from the speakers and its getting worse at higher levels. I know its not the JTR its the Emotiva Amps Im using "UPA-1" Mono Blocks.

However, Just wanted some advise on which amps would be a better choice my AV is PR SC 5509 Onkyo.

I am Looking at either the ATI 3005 or Earthquake Cinenova Grande Which would work better?


Either one would work. I vote for the ATI 3005 or the equivalent Outlaw.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

 

willscam is offline  
post #4090 of 21409 Old 04-25-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam View Post

Thanks RMK. But the theater is not "about finished". I still have seating riser to finish, false screen wall to build, mount projector, etc, etc... The list of things to do doesn't seem to be growing shorter very quickly.

And regarding the speakers not being pretty; I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just kidding. They're definitely function over form, but, as you know, they can be made pretty, you just have to pay extra for it.

Since all of my speakers, except the LCR, are going to be mounted out in the open, on the walls and ceiling, I actually like the standard matte black finish. It's durable and I expect the speakers to entirely disappear when the lights go down to watch a movie.


Right, Right Height, and Right Wide JTR speakers shown below without magnetic grills on.

My Left, Center, and Right speakers are T12HT, heights, side, and back are Slanted8HT, and wides are Single8HT.








Either one would work. I vote for the ATI 3005 or the equivalent Outlaw.

Well you look pretty close to finished to me but then I have no patience so always work at breakneck speed . Great looking room and I know it will sound great. Those doors are really interesting. I may steal that idea to use in future projects.

I'm sure the ATI amps are really good. I like the Wyred4Sound amps for their class D efficiency and cool running.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #4091 of 21409 Old 04-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Member
 
jtuttle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RMK! I have a Wyred 4 Sound multichannel amp and find myself in need of a surround sound speaker setup. I can do 5.1 or 7.1. I have a SV Sound PB-13 Ultra 1000 watt sub already. Which JTR setup would you consider for the system?
jtuttle is offline  
post #4092 of 21409 Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Member
 
djkiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post

Bassfeen,

I have personally heard JTR's being powered by Crown XLS 5000 amplifiers. They performed without any distortion. Crown amps may be worth some consideration, however, it is my understanding that fan noise may be a bit loud compared to other amps such as the Behringer 4000.

Hi guys. Crown amps are amazing from 800 hertz down driving large 15 inch woofers but they are not very refined in the mid to higher registers in my opinion. As Pennynike1 points out the fans can be a problem although the K series K1 and K2 have no fans.

I have a pair of K1s bridged driving my TAD 1601s 15 inch bass drivers. These are very neutral and had better woofer control than a 700 watt Krell on the bass. The are also very well priced, reliable and have volume controls to attenuate the volume. I've punished these amps severely and they show no signs of strain and continue to chug along.

The best multichannel amps I would rate tied for first place are the Plinius Odeon and Sim audio Titan. These have excellent bass control and are quite refined for multichannel amps. Multichannel amps are always a compromise if they are sharing the same power supply.

The Theta dreadnaught works very well with speakers with small drivers like M&K speakers and Klipsch but is "dreadful" if you use full range speakers with large woofers. It can be a little veiled with terrible bass control. Typical of zero feedback Class A amps. I would not recommend the Theta for the JTR.

The earthquake is good value and has very good bass control but lacks the refinement of the simaudio or plinius. The pass labs X5 is good but also has poor bass control and can be a bit veiled. The lexicons and brystons are a bit edgy but have good dynamics and bass control. The Parasound Halos are well balanced have excellent bass control and are a bit sweeter sounding than the Lexicons/Brystons. The A52 would be sufficient on the JTR speakers and could be worth considering. I just remembered the Krell TAS which was pretty good from memory.

Better still you could biamp them with Crown K1/K2 on the bass and a nice 2 channel on the tweeter although I'm not sure where the JTR crosses over or if it can even be biamped as there are no pictures of the back on the website.

Cheers
DJ
djkiwi is offline  
post #4093 of 21409 Old 04-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Member
 
djkiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
[quote=willscam;21948065]Thanks RMK. But the theater is not "about finished".

Hi Will, congratulations on the setup you have. The room has been very well thought out and with those JTR speakers should really rock out.

I particularly like the colors you have chosen. Would you mind posting the colors on each wall and type of paint etc? I'm going to paint our room soon so it would be quite useful.

Thanks
DJ
djkiwi is offline  
post #4094 of 21409 Old 04-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Senior Member
 
willscam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=djkiwi;21952378]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willscam View Post

Thanks RMK. But the theater is not "about finished".

Hi Will, congratulations on the setup you have. The room has been very well thought out and with those JTR speakers should really rock out.

I particularly like the colors you have chosen. Would you mind posting the colors on each wall and type of paint etc? I'm going to paint our room soon so it would be quite useful.

Thanks
DJ

Thanks djkiwi. I'll post the colors on by build thread in the Dedicated Theater Design and Construction section.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

 

willscam is offline  
post #4095 of 21409 Old 04-26-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

RMK! I have a Wyred 4 Sound multichannel amp and find myself in need of a surround sound speaker setup. I can do 5.1 or 7.1. I have a SV Sound PB-13 Ultra 1000 watt sub already. Which JTR setup would you consider for the system?

For me, the choice of 5.1 vs 7.1 and speakers would depend upon room size. Less than 3000cf I might go with Triple 8's as the LCR's and either the Single 8 or Slanted 8 (pictured above in Willscam's room) and 5.1. 3000cf+ I would tend to go with the Triple 12's as LCR with the surrounds being the same and start to think about 7.1 (or 7.2 ).

Basically with your amplification, either of those setups will give you effortless and clean sound in virtually any HT room. The differences are very slight but my room was large enough for the T12's and Triple 8's as side surrounds and those are the most important speakers in a multichannel setup. Surround backs, Heights and wides are nice for movie sound effects but add little and in fact can detract from MC music.

BTW, I have heard your sub in my room (in fact two of them) and it is a very nice sounding sub. The JTR's will push it to it's limits so keep that in mind.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #4096 of 21409 Old 04-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Member
 
jtuttle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post


For me, the choice of 5.1 vs 7.1 and speakers would depend upon room size. Less than 3000cf I might go with Triple 8's as the LCR's and either the Single 8 or Slanted 8 (pictured above in Willscam's room) and 5.1. 3000cf+ I would tend to go with the Triple 12's as LCR with the surrounds being the same and start to think about 7.1 (or 7.2 ).

Basically with your amplification, either of those setups will give you effortless and clean sound in virtually any HT room. The differences are very slight but my room was large enough for the T12's and Triple 8's as side surrounds and those are the most important speakers in a multichannel setup. Surround backs, Heights and wides are nice for movie sound effects but add little and in fact can detract from MC music.

BTW, I have heard your sub in my room (in fact two of them) and it is a very nice sounding sub. The JTR's will push it to it's limits so keep that in mind.

Sounds very appealing. I listened to Triad LCR Gold (untreated home theater) and Adam Audio GTC 88s at a maximally treated home theater sales room. I liked the 88s better.

My room is 3700 cubic feet. The T12s would be in order. Maybe 3 across the front as L, C, R and the T8s in the rear. Might have to give them a test run.

I listen to 75% movies, 20% PS3, and 5% music.
jtuttle is offline  
post #4097 of 21409 Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Member
 
jtuttle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One question about JTR T12s... Where is the tweeter? Do you miss it during movies or music?
jtuttle is offline  
post #4098 of 21409 Old 04-26-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

One question about JTR T12s... Where is the tweeter? Do you miss it during movies or music?

You would certainly miss it if it wasn't there. Jeff uses a compression driver (tweeter) that is seated in the center of the mid bass driver (this acts as a wave guide). He has been upgrading that component (CD plus the crossover) nearly every year going for a more refined sound without giving up dynamics. For my use and preferences, he has it right.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #4099 of 21409 Old 04-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Member
 
Skillet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

Sounds very appealing. I listened to Triad LCR Gold (untreated home theater) and Adam Audio GTC 88s at a maximally treated home theater sales room. I liked the 88s better.

jtuttle,
Can you elaborate more on your experience with the ADAM GTC 88's? I read about the ADAM's for the first time a couple months ago and thought they sounded intriguing, but haven't run across anyone who's actually heard them. One of the A/V magazines recently gave them a glowing review, but up until then, I'd never heard of them. I'm curious as to how they'd compare to JTR's.
Thanks
Skillet is offline  
post #4100 of 21409 Old 04-27-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mjaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

Sounds very appealing. I listened to Triad LCR Gold (untreated home theater) and Adam Audio GTC 88s at a maximally treated home theater sales room. I liked the 88s better.

Not even close to a fair comparison, the acoustically treated room should sound better even if it was the exact same speakers.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
mjaudio is offline  
post #4101 of 21409 Old 04-28-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 134

Triple 12s excel at live music. They are so much better than any live music night club or concert venue that I have ever attended. It is more of an experience than a listening session so that is why words are wasted when trying to explain the sound.
FOR JTR OWNERS
godsmack: Good times bad time Ten years of godsmack, comes with an acoustical dvd recorded at "The House of Blues: Las Vegas".
Give this dvd a demo and it just might become your reference live music dvd. It is definetly an experience to be had.
rock and roll coupled with country is all I listen to and jtr reproduces the sound accurate with an overwhelming amount of midbass.
try it and see
wvchris

countryWV is online now  
post #4102 of 21409 Old 04-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
 
dragonleepenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just wanted to ask about how many side and rear surrounds people are using. I for instance have three rows of seating and side speakers at each side, left and right . Total of six, the last row has two seats at the middle of the back of the room, the speakers for the rear row are front firing and face back into the room towards the front. Rows 1&2 have diipoles. For back speakers a pair of front firing which i find works best,at least for me . All speakers are on their own power amps, the denon reciever i have has A&B speaker connections and for C, i just use the recievers amp. I kinda have an 11&4 setup.Two f25 rythmik subs at the front on each side of the center ch. and two f15 rythmik subs at the back flanking the rear riser. The room is treated and sounds great. I'd like to hear thoughts and ideas/if anyone else is doing this. I plan on switching to all JTR's and want to incorporate this same setup. The room is 24'x15'. Thanks
dragonleepenn is online now  
post #4103 of 21409 Old 04-29-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonleepenn View Post

Just wanted to ask about how many side and rear surrounds people are using. I for instance have three rows of seating and side speakers at each side, left and right . Total of six, the last row has two seats at the middle of the back of the room, the speakers for the rear row are front firing and face back into the room towards the front. Rows 1&2 have diipoles. For back speakers a pair of front firing which i find works best,at least for me . All speakers are on their own power amps, the denon reciever i have has A&B speaker connections and for C, i just use the recievers amp. I kinda have an 11&4 setup.Two f25 rythmik subs at the front on each side of the center ch. and two f15 rythmik subs at the back flanking the rear riser. The room is treated and sounds great. I'd like to hear thoughts and ideas/if anyone else is doing this. I plan on switching to all JTR's and want to incorporate this same setup. The room is 24'x15'. Thanks

That sounds like an interesting setup. My side surrounds are DR's (Triple8's) and are located between my first and second rows (only have two). Your setup Iwith multiple side surrounds is like a commercial theater setup. Dipoles are often recommended for side surrounds and If you like the sound of multiples ... great. How does it sound for music (concert DVD/bluray)?

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #4104 of 21409 Old 04-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Senior Member
 
dragonleepenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

That sounds like an interesting setup. My side surrounds are DR's (Triple8's) and are located between my first and second rows (only have two). Your setup Iwith multiple side surrounds is like a commercial theater setup. Dipoles are often recommended for side surrounds and If you like the sound of multiples ... great. How does it sound for music (concert DVD/bluray)?

I still prefer pure direct 2ch, sounds best to me for music cd's etc. However, dvd concerts are truely a thing of ear candy, with all channels going it's just so clear dynamic sounding. Lots of enjoyment for me.With blueray movies it has a very strong sound stage at the sides and rear,pans are all over the place . It sounds like their are no voids of sound every thing is clear, full and large sounding. All speakers are placed so the distance to each row center is the same. I've had setups with direct firing side speakers and very much like the sound. Infact i prefer the direct firing side setup, when i get the JTR's i most likely will go to the single 8lps at the sides and slant 8's at the back. Same layout i have now. I like my sound load for music and movies, sounds like JTR's will do the trick. Can't wait to speak with Jeff in the morning.
dragonleepenn is online now  
post #4105 of 21409 Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonleepenn View Post

I still prefer pure direct 2ch, sounds best to me for music cd's etc. However, dvd concerts are truely a thing of ear candy, with all channels going it's just so clear dynamic sounding. Lots of enjoyment for me.With blueray movies it has a very strong sound stage at the sides and rear,pans are all over the place . It sounds like their are no voids of sound every thing is clear, full and large sounding. All speakers are placed so the distance to each row center is the same. I've had setups with direct firing side speakers and very much like the sound. Infact i prefer the direct firing side setup, when i get the JTR's i most likely will go to the single 8lps at the sides and slant 8's at the back. Same layout i have now. I like my sound load for music and movies, sounds like JTR's will do the trick. Can't wait to speak with Jeff in the morning.

I had some Revel di/bi-poles (Embrace) a while back and tried them out for surround duty but like you, ended up preferring point source. Looking forward to your impressions.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #4106 of 21409 Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

Sounds very appealing. I listened to Triad LCR Gold (untreated home theater) and Adam Audio GTC 88s at a maximally treated home theater sales room. I liked the 88s better.

My room is 3700 cubic feet. The T12s would be in order. Maybe 3 across the front as L, C, R and the T8s in the rear. Might have to give them a test run.

I listen to 75% movies, 20% PS3, and 5% music.

I had a dealer demo of the Triad in-room Gold Monitors when I picked up my Integra 80.3 SSP. They sounded nice but would not be my choice. I'm sure the Triad Platinum's would be special but I don't like the value proposition at that price point.

I had my fling with $8K each speakers and will not be going back ...

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #4107 of 21409 Old 04-30-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post


Sounds very appealing. I listened to Triad LCR Gold (untreated home theater) and Adam Audio GTC 88s at a maximally treated home theater sales room. I liked the 88s better.

My room is 3700 cubic feet. The T12s would be in order. Maybe 3 across the front as L, C, R and the T8s in the rear. Might have to give them a test run.

I listen to 75% movies, 20% PS3, and 5% music.

That's not a fair comparsion!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #4108 of 21409 Old 04-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
 
dragonleepenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I had some Revel di/bi-poles (Embrace) a while back and tried them out for surround duty but like you, ended up preferring point source. Looking forward to your impressions.

Yes! Placed my order this morning with Jeff for three T12'slp for the front. Can't wait to hear them, i then will start pining for the side & rears i can be very impatient when comes to this hobby. Already i'm thinking on some experimenting with placement of the sides with the JTR's
dragonleepenn is online now  
post #4109 of 21409 Old 04-30-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonleepenn View Post

Yes! Placed my order this morning with Jeff for three T12'slp for the front. Can't wait to hear them, i then will start pining for the side & rears i can be very impatient when comes to this hobby. Already i'm thinking on some experimenting with placement of the sides with the JTR's

I think impatience is a trait many of us here share . Again, looking forward to photos and comments.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #4110 of 21409 Old 04-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Member
 
jtuttle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

That's not a fair comparsion!

I agree. It was not fair. The Triad Gold LCR owner said he liked "live" music and the GTCs were in a nice "showroom." Not a fair comparison but how do I treat a guys living room? My current home is untreated.

Which leads to a question... is it better to treat a room with cheap speakers (like I currently have) or, is it better to buy good speakers first? I can either treat or get speakers now and then do the next HT upgrade in a few months.
jtuttle is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off