Official JTR speaker thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 11:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 201
In fairness, nobody should ever judge a speaker by how it sounds sitting on the floor if it is not a floorstander. The tweeter should be around ear height, which would require a stand between 24" & 30" high, as previously advised in this thread. I'm surprised the poster would even expect it to sound good on the floor. I also don't understand how you gauge soundstage with only one speaker.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

In fairness, nobody should ever judge a speaker by how it sounds sitting on the floor if it is not a floorstander. The tweeter should be around ear height, which would require a stand between 24" & 30" high, as previously advised in this thread. I'm surprised the poster would even expect it to sound good on the floor. I also don't understand how you gauge soundstage with only one speaker.

Nothing I said was definitive. I had many uncertainties as I am still figuring it out. I know what I said was not judgmental, just speculative.

Unfortunately I will only have them 12-13 inches off the floor which will put it at nearly ear hight for my low seating.
post #543 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

Yes I have 5 x 2010 triple 8's .. also have a Rocket setup at home, I'd say the triple 8 and bigfoot have a similar ability to throw a transparent soundstage for dialogue. The T8 is actually remarkably clear for dialogue - so what you're experiencing doesn't sound right at all.

Good luck..

Would you say the T8 is a big upgrade from the Bigfoot center, how do they compare? If you have RS850s for mains how do those compare?

I don't listen at insane levels and I use an Emotiva XPA-3 so sensitivity or having enough power isn't that big of an issue for me. I love my Rockets, i'm just wondering If the Triple 8s are really that much better or if it's worth a future speaker change.
post #544 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Off the floor is obviously better ha.

I just hope the 12-13 inches I can provide will be enough because that is about as high as I can go
post #545 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 501
It will be ok for the front seats if you tilt it up. The back row(if you have a back row) won't get as good as sound.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
post #546 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I have one Ikea chair about 7 feet back, thats it ha
post #547 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Nothing I said was definitive. I had many uncertainties as I am still figuring it out. I know what I said was not judgmental, just speculative.

Unfortunately I will only have them 12-13 inches off the floor which will put it at nearly ear hight for my low seating.

Is your coax in the middle? I think most are. If so, 12"-13" would put the coax around 26"-27" high. How tall are your chairs?

post #548 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Until I can afford a chair with a platform and shaker I am just using an ikea chair. I think my butt is only 10 or so inches from the ground.

When I get higher chairs would I just point it up a bit?
post #549 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Are your ears only 16" or 17" higher than your butt? If not, how are they going to be at ear height?

post #550 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it really THAT critical? It will be close enough I figured
post #551 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Ok I am still testing.

I put the speaker on my rack which is about 28 inches tall. It sounds much better. Can't conclusively say because I am only 2 songs in but I see an improvement for certain. This scares me that the 12-13 inch height they will be placed at won't be high enough.

I will say that stings voice in the police certifiable if a good test. It is loud and clear but falls in a frequency range that seems very prone to distortion if something in a speaker is not right. It sounds good to me right now.

Move the coaxial to the top position and you will gain another 8" of height. You can also angle them up. Mine are about 7" off the ground with the coaxial in the top position and the speakers angled up with Mopads. They sound great. You can see the pictures of the Mopads in the link in my sig.
post #552 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

By the way. Glad to hear that placement made such a big difference. That is a lot easier than getting the speaker repaired.
post #553 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I am WAAAAAY to scared to mess with the drivers on the one I have ha

Should I call jeff and have him send my next 2 with them on top?
post #554 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone heard the Quintuples in yet? I have two T8's and a Quintuple 8 center and was wondering how the Q8s perform. I was wondering if I need to talk to Jeff about possibly upgrading my order to Q8's for the LR as well.
post #555 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 06:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 View Post

Has anyone heard the Quintuples in yet? I have two T8's and a Quintuple 8 center and was wondering how the Q8s perform. I was wondering if I need to talk to Jeff about possibly upgrading my order to Q8's for the LR as well.

just curious as to how the Quintuple sounds, are they similar to the triple 8's?
post #556 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am WAAAAAY to scared to mess with the drivers on the one I have ha

Should I call jeff and have him send my next 2 with them on top?

It probably wouldn't hurt. I never had mine directly on the floor with the coaxial in the center position so I do not know how much a difference it will make. I moved the coaxial before they were ever hooked up.

Not that I want to be responsible for a messed up speaker, but as long as you are careful, it is not that hard to change the position of the coaxial.

Another option would be to ask for the other two in the top position or leave them in the middle and place them to the sides of the screen and place the one you have horizontal, just below the screen. That would get the coaxials up away from the floor.
post #557 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I do have 12-13" stands so they wont be on the floor directly

I just worry that jeff does them with the coax in the middle for a reason (even though I have read that mtm arraignments are not ideal)
post #558 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 501
They are not ideal in a horizontal configuration. He will build them with the coax on top if you wish.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
post #559 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Guess I will call and ask. Mine should be due to ship any day now
post #560 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonL View Post

just curious as to how the Quintuple sounds, are they similar to the triple 8's?

Oh. I worded it wrong. I ordered that setup but have not recieved it yet.
post #561 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

What Paradigm speakers were you comparing with. I have Studio 100 v3 that I am considering upgrading from in part to set a matched set across the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

At first I compared them my DIY speakers (Vifa XT-25 ring radiator tweeters and Vifa PL line woofers). Since I got the T8's I have compared them to relatively high end Paradigm and B&W speakers that cost quite a bit more than the T8's with really nice electronics driving them. There is no comparison. Both the Paradigm and B&W speaker sound very good, but they sound like you are listening to a very nice home sound system. The T8's sound like you are at a concert without giving up any of the details from the other brands. At lower volumes the difference is not as noticable, but as you turn the volume up the T8's continue to sound crystal clear, while the others start to sound harsh. You just can not get the big sound that the T8's deliver out of any other speakers I have heard. By the time you get that wall of sound feeling with commercial speakers, everything sounds harsh, loud and uncomfortable. I have been spending a ton of time listening to music since I got the T8's because it is so enjoyable. The other nice thing is that my wife lets me watch movies around -6 when she always used to complain it was too loud when it was around -13 with my old speakers.

post #562 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Could not sleep last night getting ready for my new speakers. I had some weird dream I barely remember about jeff posting something in this thread about them. Don't remember much but I think this means I need a speaker intervention.

I think jeff came to you in your dream to tell you if you have a problem with your one speaker to give him a call first befor posting on the thread
post #563 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I do have 12-13" stands so they wont be on the floor directly

I just worry that jeff does them with the coax in the middle for a reason (even though I have read that mtm arraignments are not ideal)

MTM's are a good if placed vertical, but they are not ideal if placed horizontal because the dual woofers interfere with eachother and cause a degradation in of axis response. They cause the same degradation in the vertical direction when placed vertically, but this is not a problem as long as the height of the speakers is close to the listeners ears. The JTR's with their coaxial midrange and tweeter have a lower crossover to the woofers than a typical MTM. Therefore there will be less intereference between the woofers. Like MKTheater said. They are not ideal horizontal, but they are better than most. They are optimized to be placed vertical in MTM configuration, but they will do well in TMM configuration vertical which is probably slightly better than horizontal. The ideal is how MKTheater had them. All vertical MTM behind an acoustically transparent screen.
post #564 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXPorlando View Post

I think jeff came to you in your dream to tell you if you have a problem with your one speaker to give him a call first befor posting on the thread

I like to think that my naive chicken little outbreaks will help some one unsuspecting simpleton from having the same concern at a later date.

Lesson is, a single triple 8 on a hardwood floor is not ideal for sound reproduction. ha
post #565 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 10:30 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

I like to think that my naive chicken little outbreaks will help some one unsuspecting simpleton from having the same concern at a later date.

Unsuspecting simpletons wouldn't take the warning to heart. I, however, am. Keep up with the honest outbreaks. I want to know what's going on for sure.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #566 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, I read this entire thread in the last two nights, mostly, sure I might have been going a little fast at the end.

I have a couple of questions.

Speaker placement relative to the wall behind the speaker. How much distance is necessary between the back of the speaker enclosure on a Triple 8 or Quintuple and the back wall? There was one question and response on this topic; was hoping for some more feedback from peoples practical experience. I currently have Paradigm v3 Studio 100's and though front ported they are very sensitive to being too close to the rear wall. I have plenty of separation from the side walls. My room is 18 ft wide in the front, 130 inch AT screen almost centered with the speakers inside that footprint so that is not a concern.

Does anyone have any practical experience comparing the 2010 Triple 8 series with the v3 Studio 100's from a HT or music standpoint?

What is the difference between the Quentupel-8 and the Triple 12 LF from a target audience standpoint? The Q-8 will have a nice finish option. Other than that the specifications seem to be comparable.
post #567 of 25928 Old 11-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Another question, having noted several owners turning off the Audyssey processing. Is this a universal finding?

Does anyone have any of the Anthem processors using ARC to mange T-8's, would hate to get speakers that for some reason were not compatible with audio processing given the benefit I have seen with what the ARC does.

I can see this possibly being an issue with the Seaton speakers given they have an active DSP on board but do not understand issues with the JTR design and Audyssey.
post #568 of 25928 Old 11-03-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_bit_bucket View Post

Another question, having noted several owners turning off the Audyssey processing. Is this a universal finding?

Does anyone have any of the Anthem processors using ARC to mange T-8's, would hate to get speakers that for some reason were not compatible with audio processing given the benefit I have seen with what the ARC does.

I can see this possibly being an issue with the Seaton speakers given they have an active DSP on board but do not understand issues with the JTR design and Audyssey.

This is not a specific JTR issue with Audyssey. This is Audyssey itself. At this moment I have a pair of Vandersteens and do not like Audyssey with my setup at all. It can do distances pretty accurately but the actual EQ is not impressive (IMHO).
post #569 of 25928 Old 11-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 View Post

This is not a specific JTR issue with Audyssey. This is Audyssey itself. At this moment I have a pair of Vandersteens and do not like Audyssey with my setup at all. It can do distances pretty accurately but the actual EQ is not impressive (IMHO).

post #570 of 25928 Old 11-03-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Audyssey depends on the room I think. My room is very bright so I like audyssey. Maybe its in my mind. Once I add some treatments I will consider the subject again.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page